The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What's the best way to get back into this game?

ElazulHP
ElazulHP
Got the base game only and it's been years since I've played. I also never beat the main story so I'll be starting over from scratch. After looking over classes I'm thinking about Stamina Nightblade. Are those still PvP viable? Also, in regards to content. What is the best way to go about getting back into it? Would just the base game be enough to begin again or would getting a Plus membership help? Would buying all the new DLC make a difference? Not sure if there is anything that would hinder or help a new player locked away in there? Thanks in advance for any and all answers!
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No dont go with stamina nightblade for pvp. all you can do is gank ppl. But if you like ganking only go ahead. If you after more versatile pvp class that can play solo, in groups, small and big go with magsorc. In Summerset they will also be gank gods, way better than any other class.
    Edited by ErMurazor on April 27, 2018 11:21PM
  • badger333
    badger333
    So I recently went through the same journey, so I'll share what I did!

Yes I did buy ESO plus, which I believe gives access to all DLCs, I got it mostly for xp boost! I was torn between magblade and stamsorc after doing some research and eventually leant towards stam sorc which I am enjoying greatly! I did some questing but have mostly done dungeons and skyshard hunting with some grinding to level

If I could offer any advice getting back in to it would be play all classes before picking one, do what you enjoy in terms of quests vs grinding, do group content because seriously in ESO it's way more fun playing with others!

Guess I didn't give any real advice there
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stam nb is top 3 solo pvp class in the game, ive mained one since launch and can tell you that there is another option besides ganking. Everything is viable. My advice is just enjoy the base game and if you wanna future proof make the best race for your class so redguard for stam nb is the most safe option for pve and pvp fluidity. Dont need to spend more money when you didnt event complete half of an mmo ! If youre on ps4 na I can sponsor ya and help you out live. If not the best way imo is to speak with in game players who are seasoned vets and ask away, also remember everyone is bias so take info from most things as stuff you can expand on. Any other Q's hmu anytime @ElazulHP
    The Flyers
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't answer you with regards to classes and builds, but I can give you my opinion regarding content. The older content is great - always has been, and if you have never done it it will be like new anyway. Newer content is great too, so it's your choice. You have hundreds and thousands of hours of stories ahead of you in any case. Therefore I'd say that if you're looking for solo content and quests, you may wait before purchasing DLCs or subbing.
    If you're into group play and guilds, however, you may find yourself isolated of you cannot access the entire game. That's where purchasing DLCs or subbing may prove useful if not necessary. There's a discounted pack for the first 4 DLCs (Imperial City, Orsinium, and the two guilds) which was dirt cheap and certainly still available somewhere ?
    If you're primarily into PvP you don't need any DLC (outside of Imperial City) nor subs because all the content is included in the base game - or will be very soon (i.e. Battlegrounds).

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on April 29, 2018 11:21AM
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't give any concrete advice on classes and builds, as I am the "play whatever you want and have fun" kinda gal :wink:

BUT I can give some advice in how to comfortably get back into the game (as I have had several breaks from the game since launch, so I have some experience in the matter).

- ESO+ : I have always had this, and always will. I just find it easier for my travels to have an endless crafting bag, so I don't clutter up my inventory - and the EXP boost and Crowns is a nice little addition. But only get it if you can afford it, as you can play the game perfectly fine without it.
    - Research/Crafting: You probably already know this, but make sure to get into this pretty early. You will thank your past self that you made sure to get a good bit of it out of the way - too many people put it off, and regret it.
    - DLC/Content: ESO+ will give you access to all DLCs, or you can buy them so you always have them. Note the only thing buying the DLCs will unlock are zones and zone quests- so need to bother with that until you are done with the rest. The DLCs are wonderful, BUT make sure to go through all the original content, and complete all 3 alliance stories - it will have slight to significant immersion consequences if you have met and interacted with all original characters in the game.
    - PvP: Stamblade is definitely still viable, and I would suggest you try it if you haven't tried it already. You can always change to Magblade (which I prefer) if you don't like it, so there is always that possibility :wink:

In conslusion, ESO+ is something to consider. I would, however, suggest that if you decide to get it just start off with a single month, and see how you like it. There is also no need to pay for a longer period until you are sure you will be playing ESO for a longer term. And content wise, do all the original content first. That way you can also wait with getting/buying the DLCs. And just jump into PvP and enjoy, but don't be surprised or get disheartened if you get ganked a lot in the beginning, as PvP has probably changed a bit since you played last.
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ElazulHP Stam Blades are viable for both PvE and PvP, pulling the best numbers solo. However if you're starting a fresh you may want to go with an easier to play character first, since Stam Blades really lack self healing.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS