Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you think the grind to max cp should be faster or as it is?

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As it is, you are not allowed to max cp till you grind enough
    akl77 wrote: »
    Imo, by the time you reach cp160 you should have played all dungeons already, and all skill lines levelled up to max, so what’s the rest? So cp 160 to 720 would just be repeating the same dungeons every single day till you reach max cp for end game trial, that’s way too boring. The enlightenment should be extended all the way to max cp at least.

My highest character played (among many others) over 4 years has just over 200 cps. He has done the main quest, his alliance zone quests, and a few events (not always using the event boosts and with no other xp boosts at any time). He's barely started Cadwell's Silver and hasn't quested in Craglorn, any of the DLCs or Morrowind. He has done all the alliance starter islands for the shards and rare fish, but only his alliance ones for questing. He has done no group dungeons or trials and no PvP. He's still leveling a variety of skill lines.

He will therefore be able to advance further through cps with no repetition, and then there are my other characters who will also be gaining cps. People can't say how important it is to them for cps to be account-wide and then complain when they only play one character and feel that cps are a grind!

It all comes down to how you play the game :smile: !

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently started a new virgin account and I can tell you if you did this you would sing a completely different tune.

No kidding. I can tell a lot of people here haven't practiced what they preach. I just started an alternate account 7 weeks ago, and I'm just now hitting the current cap. I'm probably going to keep grinding until I hit 750, so I'm ready for Summerset.

Let me put it this way, until you've started the journey to CP cap FROM SCRATCH, you don't know WTF you're talking about. It's a soul crushing grind that old timers never fully experienced because we accumulated XP as the game itself grew. I used to scold newbies for complaining about the CP grind.... Not anymore!

Still not far for us old timers. It takes far less time to get 160 then it did for many of at cap. These questions are dirt in faces who are at cap. It takes effort and commitment along with experiences of many sorts to become a champion at Max level.
  • Navras
    Navras
    ✭✭✭
    It's fine as it is.
    Achieving everything super quickly is a bad habit in MMO worlds, you'll run out things to do too quickly and then you come to forum swearing you have nothing left to do. :smile:
    Conversely, if it takes too long you'll get bored of doing repetitive content. But this is not the case, in my opinion, the growin' up pace is quite well tuned
    EU-PC
    cp 1500+
    Flawless Conqueror & Spirit Slayer

Main: Templar
    Alt: Stamblade, StamDK
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    I recently started a new virgin account and I can tell you if you did this you would sing a completely different tune.

hmmm..

Account 1: 790cp
    Account 2: 430cp
    Account 3: 395cp
    Account 4: 200cp
    Account 5: 190cp
    Account 6: 63cp
    Account 7: 0 cp

I also have an account on EU server with no CP but I almost have all my crafting skills maxed. :)~

If I created another account, I wouldn't worry about CP. Once I hit level 50, I would work on getting to 160CP for gear and then just do normal pledges until I get around 300 cp. I think the secret is don't worry about being maxed. There is plenty of stuff to do that doesn't require maxed CP.

I am looking at it from a new player perspective, sure I have four other maxed accounts on multiple platforms as well which gave me the experience to level faster and the ability to craft for my new account.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Neither, but for some advice.....

Do the main story quests on one character for all the dlc this way you’ll surpass cp600 and have all the skill points

They should just remove CP and the remains of VR from CP but keep the constellations passives to unlock with existing skill line progression.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 26, 2018 3:54PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Grabmoore
    Grabmoore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I think it should take longer so you scrubs learn how to play your toon.

This.

56days 22hours, 32minutes on my main character.
    Been playing sense beta.

628cp!

328 days on my main. 1020+ CP. Never grinded for it. Playing since 02/2015. You clearly don't even play the game....
    Edited by Grabmoore on April 26, 2018 4:23PM
    EU - PC - Ebonheart Pact
    Iggy Grabmoore - Argonian Magicka Templar | Nyctasha - Redguard Stamina Nightblade
    Do-Ra'Zhar - Khajiit Stamina DK | Ashmedi - Dunmer Magicka DK
    Vanya Darchow - AD Altmer Magicka Sorc | Malek gro'Kash - Orc Stam Sorc
    GM of "Handelshaus von Riften" - Trading & PvX Community
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it really doesnt take that long...and if you arent willing to invest the time...MMOs arent for you.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faster
    Right now, it takes about 50% more XP to reach cap than it did back at a cap of 501 CP (120 million total XP versus 180 million, roughly).

I made a suggestion a few days ago that daily Enlightenment should be increased by 50% (400k-->600k per day) to compensate for the increased XP requirements to reach cap, and that Enlightenment should continually increase every patch as the CP cap increases (since the total XP requirement increases proportionally). To me that is a reasonable buff that improves the experience for new accounts, but still is a far cry from the "instant max level boost" items that are available in many other MMOs.

1. If you are over cap, you're probably thinking "well gee, I've been over cap for ages and have no problem keeping up with the CP increases, so you must be doing it wrong." But ... of course you have no problem staying ahead of cap increases. The cap increases roughly every 90 days, by 30 CP. You only need to acquire 1/3 of a CP per day to stay ahead of the cap increases.
    2. Whether or not you in particular think that achieving cap is "necessary" is irrelevant. Play how you want. It's none of your business. In reality, if you are already CP capped, a change like this doesn't affect you at all.
    3. In most cases, the responses to topics like these are along the lines of "I HaD tO woRK SUPeR HARD FOR MY CP! YOU SHOULD TOO!" This response is stupid, childish, and selfish, and devoid of any real analysis of the effort involved in reaching cap today versus doing so at 501CP or 531CP or whatever. I had to run vMA hundreds of times to get my weapons in the right traits, but I was still happy when Transmutation was introduced because the existing grind was a stupid waste of time.
    4. As has been established, plenty of people at or well over CP cap already have no idea what they are doing. Earning CP does not teach you how to play the game, particularly since the most rewarding XP sources are distinct from difficult content. Perhaps this leans toward a solution where difficult content rewards significantly more XP than easier content. For instance, if the daily random normal grants 100k XP, perhaps the daily random veteran dungeon should grant 250k XP. Veteran Trial and Maelstrom completions could grant significantly more XP. PvP objectives could grant significantly more XP.

A change like this primarily affects 2 types of players: entirely new players and people who are switching platforms/servers (often because of extraordinarily poor performance on console and/or poor latency to a given server).

I am part of the latter group. The grind is entirely useless to me. It is a waste of time.

For the former group, what's the advantage to continually increasing the time it takes to reach cap? A couple of years ago, a new player could be competitive with a veteran player (whether that is in CP PvP or Trials leaderboards or Maelstrom or whatever) in less time than they can now.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    It's fine. I play at most on average 2-3 hours a day and I'm 743 I believe.

You don't always have to be the first to everything. Just play the game do something dailies, kill some random mobs, help some people out and next thing you know your 720.

Now if CP wasn't shared across toons, then I'd probably say it needs to be sped up, but since you can do dailies on 8 toons (I only play 1) you should fly up in CP anyway
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am at CP 540 but so far the time it has taken to get here seems appropriate.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Longer
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do people really grind past CP160? I get grinding TO CP160 so you can start using max gear but after that, just play the game.

After hitting 160, I stopped paying attention for months and didn't really notice where I was until someone commented "Hey, if this were a year ago, you'd be at max CP!" I looked and was at 630. I had no idea.

Then sometime during the anniversary event, I got a "congrats on hitting 720!"

Play the game past 160. No reason to grind.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol, this is great, some players could indeed..... let's just say try just a bit harder to do something.

But that is not exactly a problem with how fast you earn your cp.
    Edited by JinMori on April 26, 2018 5:52PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least with CP you have control over how fast you progress. Mount training takes you 180 days to max, no matter how much you ride. Researching all the traits for crafting takes forever, too, although you can allot skill points to help that.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faster
    ghastley wrote: »
    At least with CP you have control over how fast you progress. Mount training takes you 180 days to max, no matter how much you ride. Researching all the traits for crafting takes forever, too, although you can allot skill points to help that.

This is not entirely honest, though.

You can buy your way to maxed out mount training and crafting research in the Crown Store. So, you can absolutely control how fast you progress those things. If you so desired, you could have all crafting research completed and all mount training completed instantly.
    Edited by LiquidPony on April 26, 2018 6:57PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    It's hard for me to put myself in the shoes of someone who is under cap currently. I did not have a VR character when CP system was first announced. I think I hit cap around the first Witch's festival. That's about a year and a half, starting when early CP cost 400k. I seldom used up my Enlightenment, and the most grindy thing I did was the 10 dailies in Bruma.

About a year, give or take 6 months, sounds about right to me to hit cap. I know CP cap has risen several times since then, but I've out paced that at a higher cost of CP without grinding. You should hit CP cap after you become fully familiar with the game. At the very least, it should not be quicker than horse training without crown lessons.

Edit: A reminder, CP is not the gear cap. It is supposed to be ZOS progression treadmill for ESO. In this the catch up mechanics not only speeds up early gains, but is there to slow down later CP gain.
    Edited by driosketch on April 26, 2018 6:14PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    I'm in no hurry. After the first 300 or so it's all pretty meh. There's nothing I can do at 720 that I can't do at, say, 520. The whole system is diminishing returns.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faster
    krachall wrote: »
    Do people really grind past CP160? I get grinding TO CP160 so you can start using max gear but after that, just play the game.

After hitting 160, I stopped paying attention for months and didn't really notice where I was until someone commented "Hey, if this were a year ago, you'd be at max CP!" I looked and was at 630. I had no idea.

Then sometime during the anniversary event, I got a "congrats on hitting 720!"

Play the game past 160. No reason to grind.

This is only true for people whose chosen style of "play the game" has a significant XP payoff.

If, for instance, you're CP400 and spend most of your time doing vet Trial progression, it is very difficult to get to cap. You have to inject other activities that do grant significant XP (typically, running around in a circle in Skyreach or Alik'r or Spellscar or whatever).
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Slower for grinding and faster from questing.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My highest level character has been levelled 'naturally' by doing quests and exploring zones in the original order, usually without any type of XP boost. She's done 2 dungeon runs in total (it's a novelty build for me to play solo, not for groups) and some dailies and festival quests but no grinding of any kind, not even waiting for bosses to respawn for festival drops (I did a bit of that but on another character). She was 1/2 way through the Alik'r zone when she got to level 50, and since then she's just been running around opening treasure chests (because I realised I had way too many maps) and has gone from CP10 to CP16 just from an hour or two of running around discovering areas on the map and fighting regular enemies.

I realise CP are laughably easy to get at the lower end and get much harder later on, but even so I can't imagine I'm going to get through all the rest of the DC zones, the main quest, Coldharbour, Cadwell's Silver & Gold (aka 2x what I've done so far), all the DLC zones and quests, Morrowind, all the dungeons (and can I count Summerset?) and find myself still short of XP and having to grind for champion points.

Maybe if you don't like PvE and don't want to do quests, or if you're one of the people who feels like you need to get to the max level first and then play the game it would be frustrating. But for me, completing each PvE zone as I get to it, it feels like I'm getting far more XP than I could possibly ever need.

Didn't used to be that way of course, before One Tamriel I'd out-level the content almost as fast as I picked up quests then they wouldn't give any XP. But that would reset and then I'd get ahead of the quests level again...it was a cycle. Now I just don't worry about it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Akrasjel
    Akrasjel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I'm good with how it is now
    [PC][EU][Daggerfall Covenant]
    Akrasjel Lanate - Imperial Nightblade | 50 | CP900+
    Born: 2E 551

Member of: | Traders of the Covenant | Hammerfell Trading | Imperial Trading Company |
    Houses: Strident Springs Demesne,

• LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faster
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Biased poll AGAIN.

It's fine as is, and is not a grind. People that grind have no fun and complain about grinding.

Play the game as intended. Enjoy it.

Do you think that if you keep repeating this nonsense that it will magically become true?

There is no "intended" way to play the game.

What you mean to say is: "Play the game as I think you should play the game."
    Edited by LiquidPony on April 26, 2018 7:00PM
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    It's fine as it is.

Making the "grind" longer won't change anything for the folks who grind up on Dolmens or Skyreach runs. They'll still have the exact same knowledge & experience, it'll just have taken them a few more days to get there.

Taking a long time or short time to get to max CP has no bearing on actually learning how to play your character - to do that, you need to check guides & practice the skills. (Just like someone getting a new char to lv50 when they're already capped on another character, will still need to study & practice the rotations/etc for the new class/build.)

tl;dr - someone who cares about getting better will, someone who's just grinding repetitively won't; no matter if 720 takes 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faster
    Tholian1 wrote: »
    Slower for grinding and faster from questing.

I like this suggestion, although I think that it should be ... " faster from every other source."

Meaning: increase the rewards for completing dungeons, Trials, arenas, quests, writs, PvP kills, PvP captures, PvP objectives, etc.
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I only have two characters right now above level 50, sitting at cp221 (i think that's where I'm at as of last night, maybe 220). I don't have all the time in the world to play like some friends of mine that are always higher each time I play with them. I kind of think it should be slower, maybe? Especially for people getting used to playing their toons. I kind of like a slower progression because to me, I will always have something to work for,, for a good while. Instead of getting to max level fairly quickly then the game getting stale for me.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
    Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
    Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
    Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
    Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
    Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
    Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
    Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
    Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
    Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP