The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Worm's Raiment

Menelaos
Menelaos
✭✭✭✭
Hi folks,

in our guild we currently have a discussion whether the 4% magicka cost reduction of Worm's Raiment is still "worth it" in Trials with people doing most of their resource management with orbs/shards/minor magickasteal and heavy attacks anyway?

One comment even went so far as to say it's not even a 4% reduction due to the way cost reductions work and since I am nowhere near an expert on the deeper mathematics behind this I thought I might just as well ask around here :-)

Comments welcome!
...und Gallileo dreht sich doch!
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are a lot of other support sets for healers atm and it really depends on trial and group constellation, if its worth it. but in a group full of magicka dds and rather stationary fights, where people stack, its still a great support set. but i think atm it gets pushed out of the support sets by sets like mending and jorvulds guidance, but as soon those arent required, worm is still very good.
  • Bigevilpeter
    Bigevilpeter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah this set's best trait is the cool blue orbs around you, used it before was just following then trend then when I thought about it, it seemed almost useless so I switched to IA
    Edited by Bigevilpeter on April 23, 2018 11:21AM
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have 6 mag users, set will provide %24 mag reduction. Thats op for a 5pc. 3 times better than seducer.

They will kill stam dps so worm wipl be even better.
  • Menelaos
    Menelaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thought: If you have a skill cost of 3000 Magicka, Worm will reduce it to 2850. By doing a heavy attack on an inferno staff I replenish something like 1200 Magicka in 1.7 seconds. So it's almost ten times Worm's reduction and that's what I find awkward to judge, because it feels like everybody and their mother is using heavy attacks anyway to get resources back.

We are also thinking of builds like SPC/Sanctuary, SPC/Healing Mage or SPC/Kagrenac and it feels like Worm drops out of our shortlist.
    ...und Gallileo dreht sich doch!
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish they'd add an alternative to SPC. Im sick of farming wgt, and still need sets for 3 characters
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both healers running jorvulds and spc is good for score runs when you can trust your group to survive. In heavy damage fights, you can swap jorvulds for mending (healing mage) and/or sanctuary. Infallible aether is good for the debuff, but you can balance this around group composition (if you have 100% concussion uptime from dps, it’s not really worth it). I like kagrenacs when I heal 4-person content (bc I’m personally not a great healer). Twilight Remedy is good if your mag don’t have a different source of minor force.

Worm didn’t get nerfed or anything so it’s still usable, but you’re right that most builds will be able to sustain on their own or just need synergies to do so, which allows healers to use a set that buffs damage (ideal) or survivability (if needed) instead of sustain (largely unnecessary atm). I’d venture to say it’s probably been months since I’ve seen those blue orbs in a dedicated trials group.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also @Lynx7386 I agree, but unfortunately to move spc out of its spot on both healers they’d either need to nerf it or introduce at least two more sets better than it. I haven’t done the math but I imagine spc is still a better damage buff than jorvulds can give, and all the rest are kind of a coin toss anyways. So jorvulds, mending, etc. would all likely get replaced by new healer sets before spc gets touched.
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still good. Don't forget it also benefits healers themselves AND the tanks, that use magicka a lot too.

So even with only 4 MagDPS, there are still 8 people benefiting from it.

Not as mandatory as it used to, but Summerset looks like it is going to make magicka dominate again, so you never know.
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of the top groups run Worm anymore. It's just not needed as everyone is able to sustain fine with ele drain and orbs.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I missing something? Id genuinely like help understanding.

When I consider healer sets, Worms Raiment seems negligible, I would rather have plenty other set bonuses that are available.

4% less magica ability cost? If I use an expensive magica ability of say 4000, I am literally saving 160. Thats negligible. Even if we take it over a few rotations, Im barely saving enough to use one extra power.

One argument follows that over the duration of a boss fight, 4% each stacks up to many thousands. But the reality is that in effect, that is not how it works. Group members do not end up with thousands more magica at their disposal, because the saving on each power, and even over several rotations is negligible. Therefore a greater level of sustain is required, from other sources, to keep using abilities - magica recovery, orbs, heavy attacks etc.

Im not saying 4% wont come in handy, every little helps. What I am saying is that the vast majority of folk should be able to sustain their own magica/stamina, instead of relying on others and that 4% wont keep them using abilities anyway, not without significant other sustain in play as well.

I'll stick with reliable, useful sets like SPC, Sanctuary, Julianos, Kagranec. (Ive not included trial sets, obviously Olorime supersedes SPC now etc).