The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Stamina Sorc with Pets feasible?

TheThoerl
TheThoerl
Soul Shriven
My friend is kinda new to this game and started with a sorcerer. Bow, Resto and Pets. Obviously a *** of skills, but for 50- pve dungeons and questing, who cares.
Now that he's reached champion level though, I'm trying to help him optimize a bit. While we're not full min-maxing, it would be preferable if he could hold his own as DPS in Vet Dungeons.
He decided to focus mainly on his Bow, but would really hate to lose his pets.

Now my question: Can a Stamina Sorcerer with a bow stomach the loss in dps those pets will bring? Even if he 100% JUST uses them for the style of it, that still costs him 4 skill slots. Or are there ways to make it work at least a little bit?
First I thought of Pelinals, but Pets scale with Magicka, not Spell Damage.
So maybe Hundings + Necropotence? Dump everything else in Max Stamina, Weapon Damage and a bit of health (Maybe even a bit less than required, as he can heal with the pets and also use ward)?

Or would that completely screw up any chances of doing at least decent damage? I'm not very familiar with building functional DPS character, I play mostly healer and tank.
(I will also probably advise to at least carry a secondary set with more stamina focused skills for the hardest bosses).
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the clanfear pet, oretty sure that still deals physical damage, but having both pets out will probably lower dps substantially for vet content
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most fun I've ever had in ESO was leveling a Stamina Sorcerer (a pure archer) with pets. It's too bad that the pets are hard to keep alive as a Stamina Sorcerer (because you can't shield them and protect them like a Magicka Sorcerer can).
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll quote one guide for magsorcs in vAS+2. "Want to run your pet? Sure. Go to your collections --> non-combat pets --> Stonefire Scamp. Here is your pet!"

But on a serious note, no, it will not be viable. Pets scale with max magicka. Running with a bow (which is already detrimental in itself, but can work) means using a lot of stam abilities. So your magicka pool is miserable and your pets do no damage and take 4 slots.

Normals, sure. You're not getting bow/bow pet sorc viable in vet though. Maybe he should consider a warden. You can pull decent DPS with a bow/bow warden with bear.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been running bow/bow stamsorcs a long time.

A bow/bow pet stamsorc can survive low stuff using clannfear to tank. Problem is that when things get tough, you lose the clannfear because you don't have the magicka to sustain frequent heals for him. Basically, I was not at all satisfied with it. With that setup, I could not even solo a public dungeon.

A bow/bow stamsorc revolves around Volley + Caltrops (big AoE damage). Surge + Hurricane (defense, heals, damage) allow you to stay close enough to keep the boss in your 'killing zone' of that pair of AoE's. A bow/bow stamsorc does not kite a boss all over creation irritating other dps players, but wants that boss held in place under her AoE's as much as any other dps does - Hurricane + Surge allows her to do that.

Beyond that, you have some flexibility to support damage and your choices can reflect your style some. I like Flawless Dawnbreaker on both bars as ult - not a bad ult and has the +damage passive. I also slot another Fighters Guild skill on each bar (Trap, Silver Bolt) for damage and passives. I also run Snipe and Poison Injection - both are good skills - the two together is a deadly snipe/opening combo and PI is great as an execute skill as well. Then I use Bombard - a superb skill for CC on trash and mowing down mobs. Finally, I use Dark Deal. . . yes it has a cast time but stamina sustain is a real challenge for bow/bow builds since heavy bow attacks in heavy combat are suicidal. Dark Deal provided stamina sustain with the bonus of a burst self heal when needed (Surge provides most of your healing). With this set up, my bowgirl holds her own with other dps and can solo most world bosses.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on April 23, 2018 2:54AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feasible but far from optimal in terms of.... anything, really.
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sure.

get a hunger pet

or

a flying blade pet

or

wolf pets

not optimal but stamina build can use pets
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had tormentor slotted for fun. I made it about half way through soloing vet Banished Cells before she became armaments.

Not that the damage was too low, the difficulty is keeping it alive.

My Stam sorc pet build runs Mork and Maw, with Prey, pulls in over 20k dps solo, so you'll complete content just fine with such sets. Plus you look cool as hell
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds like your friend is only using snipe, which is NOT enough for vet dungeons.
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been running bow/bow stamsorcs a long time.

A bow/bow pet stamsorc can survive low stuff using clannfear to tank. Problem is that when things get tough, you lose the clannfear because you don't have the magicka to sustain frequent heals for him. Basically, I was not at all satisfied with it. With that setup, I could not even solo a public dungeon.

A bow/bow stamsorc revolves around Volley + Caltrops (big AoE damage). Surge + Hurricane (defense, heals, damage) allow you to stay close enough to keep the boss in your 'killing zone' of that pair of AoE's. A bow/bow stamsorc does not kite a boss all over creation irritating other dps players, but wants that boss held in place under her AoE's as much as any other dps does - Hurricane + Surge allows her to do that.

Beyond that, you have some flexibility to support damage and your choices can reflect your style some. I like Flawless Dawnbreaker on both bars as ult - not a bad ult and has the +damage passive. I also slot another Fighters Guild skill on each bar (Trap, Silver Bolt) for damage and passives. I also run Snipe and Poison Injection - both are good skills - the two together is a deadly snipe/opening combo and PI is great as an execute skill as well. Then I use Bombard - a superb skill for CC on trash and mowing down mobs. Finally, I use Dark Deal. . . yes it has a cast time but stamina sustain is a real challenge for bow/bow builds since heavy bow attacks in heavy combat are suicidal. Dark Deal provided stamina sustain with the bonus of a burst self heal when needed (Surge provides most of your healing). With this set up, my bowgirl holds her own with other dps and can solo most world bosses.

I seriously doubt she holds her own with any dps. Have you ever done a parse with that? You have no way of knowing. Maybe theyve been carrying you all along. It’s like the hot girl with the fat friend; the fat friend “thinks” she’s hot by association, but she is definitely not. Ballista and Greater Storm Afro is better than Dawnbreaker for damage; people only slot Dawnbreaker for passive weapon damage (unless perhaps fighting undead, but even then). Plus no monster set, so there’s another kick in the junk. Only way the build can be semi-viable is with Maelstrom bow one bar, Asylum bow the other. Can do one 5 piece set, 3 agility, and run Stormfist which will proc reliably even at range (unlike Veli/Kragh/Selene).

This reason that this comes off slightly annoyed is because I’ve come across many of your fellow bow/bow ilk in dungeons. Their DPS is horrendous, and it costs me time. And time is our most precious commodity in the world.
    Edited by SmellyUnlimited on April 24, 2018 4:32AM
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense taken. I did not mean to imply that this character is impressive for vet content. When I said 'holds her own', I'm comparing her to what I see in open world, WBs, public dungeons etc which often appears to be 5-10K. You're right in that I don't focus much on dps numbers - she can crank +15K on a dummy anytime though which is plenty for her objectives: Soloing WBs, soloing dolmens and normal questing/overland content.

Being impressed is relative. I remain impressed with her that, as a little bow/bow stamsorc, she can pull +15K (without practice) which I don't feel embarrassed about if she were to run normal group dungeons. See, where I'm coming from is probably a place that you would agree with: As a bow/bow char, my inclination would be to not 'inflict' her upon a group as a bonafide dps. Since she's been soloing WBs/dolmens, can solo the group delves in Craglorn and literally mows through public dungeons though, I've been rethinking the possibility of trying her hand in normal group dungeons.

She does not stay back and plink. During boss/protracted fights, she uses her surge/hurricane to stay alive while remaining within her own killing zone (twin AoEs). Ironically, bow/bow players who kite bosses all over (and out of others' AoE) quite *** her off and she makes sure to never 'be that girl'.

All is relative I suppose. I consider her much more viable than our earlier efforts with a bow + clannfear. Hence, I don't recommend pets + bow for sorc.

Cheers.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    No offense taken. I did not mean to imply that this character is impressive for vet content. When I said 'holds her own', I'm comparing her to what I see in open world, WBs, public dungeons etc which often appears to be 5-10K. You're right in that I don't focus much on dps numbers - she can crank +15K on a dummy anytime though which is plenty for her objectives: Soloing WBs, soloing dolmens and normal questing/overland content.

Being impressed is relative. I remain impressed with her that, as a little bow/bow stamsorc, she can pull +15K (without practice) which I don't feel embarrassed about if she were to run normal group dungeons. See, where I'm coming from is probably a place that you would agree with: As a bow/bow char, my inclination would be to not 'inflict' her upon a group as a bonafide dps. Since she's been soloing WBs/dolmens, can solo the group delves in Craglorn and literally mows through public dungeons though, I've been rethinking the possibility of trying her hand in normal group dungeons.

She does not stay back and plink. During boss/protracted fights, she uses her surge/hurricane to stay alive while remaining within her own killing zone (twin AoEs). Ironically, bow/bow players who kite bosses all over (and out of others' AoE) quite *** her off and she makes sure to never 'be that girl'.

All is relative I suppose. I consider her much more viable than our earlier efforts with a bow + clannfear. Hence, I don't recommend pets + bow for sorc.

Cheers.

It sounds like a fun build (bow/bow). Since it seems like you play her more casually, you can probably not worry about Asylum or Maelstrom. With next patch set-piece bow counting as a two-piece, you’ll probably see a nice dps change (with added monster set, 2 full 5 piece). Plus the light attack upgrade will give a boost, since you want to light attack between every ability to keep up your Hawkeye passive. I’m sure you’d be fine with normal non-DLC dungeons on that set-up.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheThoerl wrote: »
    My friend is kinda new to this game and started with a sorcerer. Bow, Resto and Pets. Obviously a *** of skills, but for 50- pve dungeons and questing, who cares.
    Now that he's reached champion level though, I'm trying to help him optimize a bit. While we're not full min-maxing, it would be preferable if he could hold his own as DPS in Vet Dungeons.
    He decided to focus mainly on his Bow, but would really hate to lose his pets.

Now my question: Can a Stamina Sorcerer with a bow stomach the loss in dps those pets will bring? Even if he 100% JUST uses them for the style of it, that still costs him 4 skill slots. Or are there ways to make it work at least a little bit?
    First I thought of Pelinals, but Pets scale with Magicka, not Spell Damage.
    So maybe Hundings + Necropotence? Dump everything else in Max Stamina, Weapon Damage and a bit of health (Maybe even a bit less than required, as he can heal with the pets and also use ward)?

Or would that completely screw up any chances of doing at least decent damage? I'm not very familiar with building functional DPS character, I play mostly healer and tank.
    (I will also probably advise to at least carry a secondary set with more stamina focused skills for the hardest bosses).

DPS as a stam Pet Sorc is very hard. Tanking as a Stam Pet Sorc is fun, and also relatively effective, tough. I only use the Hunger and sword pet for soloing.

One hint: Vigor is often enough to heal the Clannfear up.
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.