The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I'm joining for PvP.

Sillyfish
Sillyfish
EDIT: At the advice of others I have made a more detailed post in the Players Helping Players section. Please post there after reading if you would like to offer your wisdom. thank you. :)

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/409250/beginner-wanting-to-start-well-in-order-to-pvp#latest

So, I pre ordered the game way back. Feb 2014 according to my billing history. I didn't really like the game then, and at the time there was huge negative hype about currency and item duping, the economy being destroyed and so on so it put me off and I haven't been back since.

Now however, I'm taking another look at the PvP looks extremely fun. I want to get involved and I want you guys to help give me some suggestions if you wouldn't mind.

I don't mind admitting upfront I am absolutely shameless. I don't mind going from the latest big thing to the next, changing with the meta, whatever. What I'd like is advice on the following:

What is the current meta and what should I pick as a Race/class?
Sorc, Warden and Dragon Knight all seem very fun to me, but I hear Warden outclasses DK in every aspect right now.

I want lots of 1vX. I want to win the 1vX while being the 1. Which class/race combo do you see doing that most effectively these days?

EDIT: I also understand that gear sets are very important. I am willing to do whatever it takes, grind all the things, kill who I have to in order to get the correct pieces of equipment.

Also, please tell me what you personally most have trouble against. The class you hate, etc. I want to gauge the opinion of the community.

Thanks very much for all advice given. it is appreciated.
Edited by Sillyfish on April 25, 2018 10:37AM
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best thing i can say is

Go solo

You won't learn how to pvp if you go in a group that has more then 5 players
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »
    The best thing i can say is

Go solo

You won't learn how to pvp if you go in a group that has more then 5 players

That, also dueling can help u learn alot.
    Remember how all the scrubs united in 'Arena' guild to duel back then?
    I think thats where we (I at least) got all the knowledge from ^^
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skill is the meta.

Play a couple thousand hours on a class and you will be solid!
  • Sillyfish
    Sillyfish
    Skill is the meta.

This is the type of post that is both a waste of time and not helpful at all.

We both know what 'meta' means in regards to class dominance/current favorite. Skill is always a deciding factor, but obviously not something I need to be told to get.

I need class information. Item information. Population information.

Please try to be constructive.

Edited by Sillyfish on April 22, 2018 12:19PM
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eso pvp skill progression:

1. Die in 2 seconds
    2. Learn your class, build, and responses so you die in 10 seconds. This is where true learning begins
    3. Last 30 seconds before dying and chunk them a bit
    4. Start winning sometimes!

Seriously though it's a slog. I've been pvping for quite awhile and I would say that I'm average. Average can actually be a harder place to be than you'd think, because the people you run into in manageable group sizes will be better than you, and you'll only encounter the bad ones in faction stacks.

Build tanky so you can live long enough to learn then dial it back as you get better. For example on magsorc I started cp campaign in heavy julianos and pirate skelly or chudan. This is not optimal, but as I lived and learned I dropped both.

Also unless you are high or max cp you aren't even going to 1v1 much in vivec. Start no cp and start going to cp once you cross the 400 mark.
    “The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭
    Watch some youtube videos, make a build, log into Cyrodiil. Learn.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the best, what we can get him at this point is:

argonian stamwarden
    sword and shield one bar, 2h other bar
    7th legion only active on snb bar (or werewolfhide) and bone pirate always active, bloodspaw monsterset, AS 2h for the 2 bar.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sillyfish wrote: »
    Skill is the meta.

We both know what 'meta' means in regards to class dominance/current favorite. Skill is always a deciding factor, but obviously not something I need to be told to get.

Actually he's correct ...

I built several builds striaght up meta copies ... O couldn't do anything ... My playstyle was not suited to it ... I changed my build to suite my playstyle and learned my craft ...

I can 1vx so people but I know when I see others I will be destroyed , I've learnt to survive and get close to beating them 1v1.

No amount of meta information will make you win 1vx if you can't play that style of play ...

So maybe you should give us more information ...

What to you like ... Up close in your face, at a distant but seen, at distance but stealth ...

Distance upenoer then in your face finisher

So many variants and not all of them you will be able to play
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skill is the meta.

This is the best kind of post for this game. Currently any class is capable of 1vX in the right hands. I think most would agree that some classes stand out like stamina warden, but it’s all preference. I really don’t care for the way stam warden plays personally though I do use one to change things up. At this time I would just shy away from magicka warden and possibly stamina DK as I don’t think they’re getting much help next patch. Anything else is fair game. Imo the best race for stamina hands down is almost always orc unless maybe you play stamina NB.
  • Caleb_Kadesh
    Caleb_Kadesh
    ✭✭✭
    Battlegrounds is a great place to learn PvP and test builds. Start as soon as you can in the under level 50 BG's.

I agree with the previous posts in that the most important part of learning to PvP is learning what works best for you. I have tried every combination you can imagine of race, attribute and class and I came up with a handful of them that I do best at and a couple of those that I really enjoy playing. Once you find that combination that fits your style then ask in guild, forums, google...

...Then you will get more specific direction that will help you improve your PvP skills.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skill is the meta.

I have seen all 10 specs able to do amazing thing if the player is good.

To 1vX you must understands the mechanics of every class, there is no way around it.

The best way to learn is to roll every class and PvP with them.
    Edited by KingYogi415 on April 23, 2018 5:51PM
  • wsmith97ub17_ESO
    wsmith97ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Try to be solo as often as you can. Zerg surfing will hinder you greatly. I did that for a couple years and stayed terrible.

I changed it up and started seeking out those who just took a resource. I am finally to a point where i am average and able to hold my own.

Do not try to be overly tanky, risk averse sets taking advantage of how broken heavy armor is will keep you back.

I use medium with no monster and no proc sets. If you can better yourself at a deficite, it will pay off.

Have fun
    It is the mind, that is the mind, confusing the mind. Do not leave the mind, oh mind, to the mind.
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use a stamblade at first, learn how to use the terrain, gain field awareness, learn how your binocular vision works when playing eso.

You'll learn how stealth works and how to manipulate people with misdirection and psychological effects of stealth etc.

Then transition over to a stamina 2 / sword board build on Warden, DK, or Sorc. Etc.

Don't get stuck on one class, play them all for a general idea of what to do then narrow it down to your fav.

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both forms of NB have relatively high skill caps but relatively low skill floors and can excell in a lot of situations.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeesh. Tough thread, lol. You might post question like this in “players helping players.” The PvP thread is a bit contrarian...as you see, ha.

The game is quite different since you left. I was there back then...yeah, it kinda faltered. They almost had a flop. I don’t k ow who stepped in to save them, but whoever did averted a total catastrophe. I won’t list all the changes, but it’s a whole new game in many, many regards.

In regard to PvP builds, A good site to start on is alcasthq.com. He has PvP builds for all class/resource combos. Those are meta builds. He also does a good write up for each, so maybe this will help you pick.

Stam characters

I play a stamblade in PvP. I like the stealth, and I am a solo ganker who hits HARD. I’ve stuck with this character because I like picking my battles, and being able to pull of crazy stealth maneuvers. I want to harass six players, and then when they chase me I want to escape and watch them hunt me forever. If I were staring over, I’d still go stamblade. I just love it.

I’d also be happy to occasionally play a stam warden in PvP. They have an awesome tool box that makes them versatile and fun. They can heal off the charts...I hate fighting stam wardens, they’re freaking hard to kill. I think stam sorcs are somewhat similar in play style and capabilities. I really like both of my characters in these classes.

I’ve gone khajiit on all three. I don’t really put a lot of stock in being overly picky about race. Khajiit help in PvP by being stealthier, and by hitting harder from sneak. Redguard is popular for melee fighters because they get good resource return.

Magic characters

Mag sorcs are strong...I just don’t like to PvP with mine. They deal good damage, and can survive forever with infinitely spammable (op) shields. Personally I wish they did more damage and were less tanky... but that’s the direction they’ve gone.

I like my magblade. They can be quite deadly for players who learn and embrace their playstyle. 90% of magblades I shred, then one in ten put the pressure on me and present a real challenge. Good shields, great heals, nice dps, HUGE stealth.

I think altmer are good for magic characters. Breton is decent.

These are the classes I’d PvP with, personally. The other combos can be strong in the right hands, but they’re just not for my playstyle. DKs are too lumbering with too low damage. I like my templars but pass them up for the other above just because I have more fun with them. Frost wardens...barf.

Gear

I’m not up to date on every meta build, but for the most part PvP gear isn’t hard to grind nowadays. You shouldn’t have any epic grinds. Just keep in mind that with Summerset everything will change. Two handed weapons (bow, staves, etc) will count as two set pieces rather than just one. This is a massive shift in the game. I’m not sure where builds will land. I suspect that the metas will remain relatively the same, then all 5/5/1 builds will become 5/5/2 with full monster sets.

State of PvP

You’ve got more options that you had before. Cyrodiil PvP is preeeeeeeetty (totally) zergy. But I find it fun. Battlegrounds are short, 10 minute 4x4x4 games. You’ve got a lot of expert teams roving those slaughtering pugs, lol. And you can duel anywhere for 1x1. The game is aging, but there’s still robust combat.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any questions, I’m happy to respond, but please use @davey1107 in the message somthe system flags me, or I won’t see tomcome back and answer. Good luck!
  • Sillyfish
    Sillyfish
    Thank you for the posts everyone. I understand I could have been clearer and given more detail, so I have made a post in the Players Helping Players section as it is a better place for it apparently. If you would like to assist please go there and read my more detailed post. @davey1107 Tagging you mate because you're extremely helpful.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/409250/beginner-wanting-to-start-well-in-order-to-pvp#latest
  • a1i3nz
    a1i3nz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skill is the meta.

I have seen all 10 specs able to do amazing thing if the player is good.

To 1vX you must understands the mechanics of every class, there is no way around it.

The best way to learn is to roll every class and PvP with them.

Lol he trashed your comment (which was true and simple) and you're still nice

To quote Lord Beerus, what an amazing guy.
    Edited by a1i3nz on April 26, 2018 12:57AM
  • NegativeVibes
    NegativeVibes
    ✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Both forms of NB have relatively high skill caps but relatively low skill floors and can excell in a lot of situations.

"Nightblade" "High Skill Cap" pick one
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

"Nightblade" "High Skill Cap" pick one

Cloak is an extremely powerful tool in the right hands. It’s easy for anyone to use, but a master NB can elude groups for days with skillful play.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skill is the meta.

AHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAH
    ye... tell it as it is

Back to topic

Heavy 2h/SnB stamwarden brawler
    Medium 2h/bow stamNB pick and slain

If you enjoy being unkillable when being in the enemies face go warden. Very sturdy.
    If you enjoy causing stress to enemies go with NB

As for all those "skilled" responses ignore them. Skill being a factor is a known.
    What you are looking for is the confirmation that a class can dominate. Here:
    Stamwarden
    StamNB
    For builds watch a video since it can display the build in action, in addition to stats/gear/rotation

Oohh...
    "You need skill"
    You dont say. Who do people think they are? The only good ones amongst plebs?

Id like to see all those people that say "you need skill" to drop the meta and show us what they can do.

"New PvP stamDK build"
    Whats new? It is still 7th Bloodspawn SnB 2h.
    Go 2h/2h if you dare people. Go dw/dw if you dare. Go bow/bow if you dare.
    "You need skill"
    You mean you need to practise for a bit?
    No shiet.

And remember. In a those 1vX videos we can see the enemy rank...
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on April 28, 2018 1:11AM
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pzschrek wrote: »
    Eso pvp skill progression:

1. Die in 2 seconds
    2. Learn your class, build, and responses so you die in 10 seconds. This is where true learning begins
    3. Last 30 seconds before dying and chunk them a bit
    4. Start winning sometimes!

Seriously though it's a slog. I've been pvping for quite awhile and I would say that I'm average. Average can actually be a harder place to be than you'd think, because the people you run into in manageable group sizes will be better than you, and you'll only encounter the bad ones in faction stacks.

Build tanky so you can live long enough to learn then dial it back as you get better. For example on magsorc I started cp campaign in heavy julianos and pirate skelly or chudan. This is not optimal, but as I lived and learned I dropped both.

Also unless you are high or max cp you aren't even going to 1v1 much in vivec. Start no cp and start going to cp once you cross the 400 mark.

ROFL...this is so me as I just started to pvp in Cyrodil. I might be approaching stage 2 now.

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: At the advice of others I have made a more detailed post in the Players Helping Players section. Please post there after reading if you would like to offer your wisdom. thank you. :)

So, I pre ordered the game way back. Feb 2014 according to my billing history. I didn't really like the game then, and at the time there was huge negative hype about currency and item duping, the economy being destroyed and so on so it put me off and I haven't been back since.

Now however, I'm taking another look at the PvP looks extremely fun. I want to get involved and I want you guys to help give me some suggestions if you wouldn't mind.

I don't mind admitting upfront I am absolutely shameless. I don't mind going from the latest big thing to the next, changing with the meta, whatever. What I'd like is advice on the following:

What is the current meta and what should I pick as a Race/class?
    Sorc, Warden and Dragon Knight all seem very fun to me, but I hear Warden outclasses DK in every aspect right now.

I want lots of 1vX. I want to win the 1vX while being the 1. Which class/race combo do you see doing that most effectively these days?

EDIT: I also understand that gear sets are very important. I am willing to do whatever it takes, grind all the things, kill who I have to in order to get the correct pieces of equipment.

Also, please tell me what you personally most have trouble against. The class you hate, etc. I want to gauge the opinion of the community.

Thanks very much for all advice given. it is appreciated.

I am assuming x = multiple opponents - in which case good luck being 1vX and being able to win in PvP on this game.

The only build I can imagine pulling something like that off in ESO PvP is perhaps a stealth build skilled at getting in and out quickly while picking off opponents one by one. Because it's extremely difficult to stay alive on this game while you have multiple players attacking you at once ( assuming they are good players).

So if you are interested in taking on groups and winning that would be my only guess... putting together some kind of stealth build skilled at hit and run tactics.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 28, 2018 10:04PM