The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would you play other races if passives weren't a factor?

MalakithAlamahdi
MalakithAlamahdi
✭✭✭✭✭
Curious if people mainly choose a certain race because of the passives or because they really want to play that race.

Would you play other races if passives weren't a factor? 249 votes

Yes
49%
laurajfThumbtackJakeSolarikenGilvothhuntgod_ESORiptideDoctor_ZeussAnimus-ESOnalimoleb14_ESOssewallb14_ESODemionthomas1970b16_ESOola.wilhelmssonb16_ESOdanno8dennissomb16_ESONifty2gSheezabeastwsmith97ub17_ESOElhananThePaulrus94 124 votes
No
35%
ImryllHanokihsSkuaKendaricSchattenfluegelDracaneNemesis7884zariaBloodystabmikejezzashigrayOmniDobellatrixedkimaerilHermodleeuxcalendorIluvrienstabbykittehNovaMarx 88 votes
Other: Please specify
14%
Tabbycatasuitandtyb14_ESODanikatphaneub17_ESOSkorosMindkillerElsonsoGraydonkip_silverwolfanothermeStreegaSting864TheShadowScoutZioGioBigevilpeterNyladreasIntegral1900Aisle9MarabornwingrionLyserusSilverIce58 37 votes
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have at least 1 of every race, my doubles are Khajiit, Bosmer, Breton, High Elf, and Imperial. One Bosmer is being deleted for Summerset (max 15 slots used) and going to be my second Redguard or Orc, I haven't decided yet.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I already play whichever-the-hell race I want. Chosen mostly by aesthetics.

(That said, I don't do trials or chase leaderboards. /shrug)

edit: and I realize now, thinking about it, that this probably isn't the right poll answer. :#
    (I was just thinking, the removal of passives would not change my choice of race. Heh.)
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on April 21, 2018 2:23AM
  • KeiruNicrom
    KeiruNicrom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Orc best orc strong. Even if all races same orc still best. This fact
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I already play whichever-the-hell race I want. Chosen mostly by aesthetics.

(That said, I don't do trials or chase leaderboards. /shrug)

edit: and I realize now, thinking about it, that this probably isn't the right poll answer. :#
    (I was just thinking, the removal of passives would not change my choice of race. Heh.)

Nah it's good. As long as passives aren't the deciding factor for you :smile:
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much, yes. I currently have Altmer, Orc, Bosmer, and 1 Redguard. I would not have any Altmer if there were other Mag options available that I also liked. I definitely would never have made the Redguard
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Sure!
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I mean I already play whatever race as whatever class and build, but it would be nice if racial passives were like, not a thing. There isn't a single game in the TES series that didn't break the previous games' racial systems. They're inconsistent, essentializing features that never made sense and don't need to continue into the future. Give us a background-type system like what we got in Battlespire and be done with the race thing, I say.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Zhaedri
    Zhaedri
    ✭✭✭✭
    I choose my races for RP or aesthetics. Racial passives aren't really even on my radar for race selection.
    @Zhaedri PC NA

• Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yep, I dont feel i have much of a choice when it comes to the build i want to play. There is a best race , a usually far second best, and a very distant third. After that its " i purposely gimp toons because i get tired of playing the same few races"

Altmer master race. Here an Altmer, there an Altmer, everywhere an Altmer. Didnt roll Altmer? #Reroll.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    All my characters are Argonians because I like the race.
    Argonian forever
  • Guarlet
    Guarlet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Orcs are just great and they're also pretty decent stamina characters as well, so it was a win-win for me.
    AKA The Goblinator, PC/EU
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of my characters are Nords because I like them. I just wish their passives reflected on their perceived warrior image.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes i would..
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play the Ghul race. *looks at passives. They all say badass. I dps , tank and heal harder than any other race on ESO. *whispers* At the same time...*ends gloat*
    Edited by AbysmalGhul on April 21, 2018 3:14AM
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I mostly play Altmers because I like their aesthetic the best, so... that's what I'd stick with, even if they were the weakest and least versatile class. First choice; only choice.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Really want to play that Race.

Min/Maxing is for tryhards.
    Edited by ArchMikem on April 21, 2018 3:38AM
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • CurlyQTip
    CurlyQTip
    ✭✭✭
    I almost hate the race meta sometimes because you get like 1% extra dps on some races but there's always that one person out there in the world will complain about how you didn't perfectly minmax a cookie cutter build they themselves only use because they found it on google

Especially since the passives you get from most races don't seem that huge outside of specific things. Resource passive races seem like the best because you don't have to use as many recovery enchantments on jewels.
    Edited by CurlyQTip on April 21, 2018 3:54AM
    Signatures are for losers
  • kip_silverwolf
    kip_silverwolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have at least one of each race across both my accounts.

For the most part, aesthetics is my deciding factor in choosing (hence why so many of my characters are Nords :D ). Passives aren't a consideration at all.

"I'm going to live forever..or at least die trying"

drunken Nord & Tamriel streaker since Arena

• Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, but I would make all my characters my favourite race :)
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, I’m used to being a Breton now, though I did start playing Bretons back during Oblivion because of the magic resistance.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, I look over the passives and make a choice based on how well they will benefit the character I want.

If passives were not a factor, then.. I don't know. I might have a more race variety. That said, although I have deleted some characters, I have utilized, at some point, all of the available races.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I like to have one of each, regardless.

and it occurs to me that maybe my answer should have been other?

basically racials are already not a factor for me, I would play other races whether passives are in game or not.
    Edited by Linaleah on April 21, 2018 4:18AM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • SkorosMindkiller
    SkorosMindkiller
    ✭✭✭
    I don't choose my race based on the passives, but on how I want to look. I was an Argonian tank before it was cool, just because she's the sister of my NB.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will always have Dunmer as my mains, no matter if their passives are not the most effective for a sneaky stamina nightblade or a goth sorceror (refusing to use flame staves for fluff reason)

But I also have alts of every race. Just because. Some with combinations that match their passives, others... not so much (my magica warden is bosmer for example, for obvious fluff reasons, and I care not about the passive mismatch)
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know...

I play dunmer as a magicka nightblade, so it isn't that bad, and I also like dunmers appearance and lore.
    But sometimes I wish I could play as fluffy kitty, but unfortunately kitty's passives are not good for magicka builds... :(
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Appearance comes first
  • Klixen
    Klixen
    ✭✭✭
    I play a Magicka Orc! To Hell with the meta!

I hate elves! I tried to play one (cause everybody said I should if I wanted to use magicka). But I just couldn't 'connect' with it.

So I went back to my Orc. But it bugs me that her passives are so unsuitable for a magicka templar.

Please ZOS, let us choose our own passives :)
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'm regarding it as a personal challenge to make the strongest characters I can, so unfortunately I have to take race into consideration when making a character. If racial passives weren't a consideration, I'd have Redguard and Khajiit magicka characters. The reason I don't is that I know they'd be relatively weak in end-game play compared to Altmer, Dunmer and Bretons.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    No, I play the races I want and how I want. Yes, I have Breton and Altmer stamina characters and I like them just the way they are.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Tommy_The_Gun
      Tommy_The_Gun
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      In every Elder Scrolls games I always played as Argonian. I like their lore, culture and appearance. Even if some patches ago Argonians were crap in terms of passives - I have not stopped playing.
      Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on April 21, 2018 8:45AM