The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How many of you use weaving

• JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    JinMori wrote: »
    zaria wrote: »
    Vote no as i mostly heal, however as LA will become far stronger and also based on magic I have to train as healer should also do damage and you can do LA on boss while refreshing mutagen.
    Do LA canceling as DD but has not nailed the HA canceling yet

You should still do light attack for healing, because it procs weapon enchants
    I know and still do but not seriously mostly on refresh of ele drain, yes its not often enough on resto staff and I see it now :)
    Still it will be far more important because of more dps.
    LA cancel is simple with an naga mouse just left click just before side button click for ability.
    Still not nailed HA cancel as dual wield.

By heavy attack, you mean fully charged? You can just press the ability slightly before the heavy attack ends, and it will automatically be used as soon as it;s finished, but i don't think it works for things like jabs or flurry, only insta casts.

well, yes dps benefit more from weaving compared to healers, because for dps it's a pretty good dps gain along with all the other benefits, while for healers it's mostly to proc enchants and other things like proc sets etc...
    Edited by JinMori on April 21, 2018 12:29AM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    Hoolielulu wrote: »
    I'm a horrible weaver and I'm not going to spend hours practicing. But animation cancelling shouldn't be a thing. My fingers can't work that fast. For these two reasons I'll never be banging out group dungeons by myself. Hell, I'm not even good enough to join a group. I'm a liability.

Then why would you want to remove ac if it doesn't affect you at all? i mean you already admitted that you are pretty much a liability and that you don;t do much end game content because of it, so why would you want to take away something that characterizes eso combat, why not instead try to become better?

I really don't get this, some people say that ac shouldn't be in this game, but they don't even understand the implications of removing it, which i already listed some above, at this point i think it's more a problem of envy then anything else, you just don;t want ac, because you don;t like people doing better then you, and that;s in general, not just you specifically, but that's what i get from what i read about removing animation cancelling.

I can't do as well as him, so maybe if i remove this, then we will be equal, no, you won't and this is the definition of envy, envy is not, i want that thing, i want to do the same damage, healing etc as he can, envy is, i don;t want this person to be better then me, so i will try to do things to make it so he will be as bad as me, well, sorry for you, but even in reality it won't work.

Because I'm a dreamer. If it was gone then maybe...maybe I could have some trophies on my bare Hunding's walls...

Just thinking out loud. I know it's not going anywhere.

No, you wouldn't that's the fact, because you are a bad player as you yourself admitted, therefore removing ac wouldn't make you better, because you already are not using it.

It woulds only make good players do less dps, but good players will still not play with bad players if possible, therefore, you have 2 things you can do, become better, or just stay where you are, that is the truth.

You made your point already. A question was asked, I answered, you gave a rebuttal and I gave a light response. It's not going anywhere so I'll continue what I've been doing for a year: play. If it REALLY bothered me I wouldn't play anymore.

I don't know what answer you're looking for from me but you're probably not going to get it.

his answer is from false information, the idea that a player is "Good" by using exploits and mechanics that are not and were never intended falls under the category of a illusion and only a dream.

you are a good, and from what you described as your playing in eso, sounds to me like you are just as good as ALL the players in eso.

he is simply not willing to accept the reality that animation canceling does not make you skilled and a "good player",

it simply means you abuse the mechanics in a way that was not intended.
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no i don't
    I can't weave. I tried, and well, there is some kind of mental block that prevents me from using both a skill button and the right trigger at the same time. If there was a way of doing it using different hands, it might work, such as putting attack on left trigger instead. I either press the trigger OR the skill buttons with my right hand, not both. I can't switch very fast and have to physically pause between using the two.

Its probably why I settled for simply being an overland magplar/stamplar just doing all the overland activities and only normal dungeons. I have never even been in a vet dungeon yet, and I have been playing 2 and a half years.
    Edited by Bonzodog01 on April 21, 2018 12:41AM
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I do, but I also want to think the gameplay would be better balanced if it weren't possible.

which is why animation cancelling allows good players to distinguish themselves from bad players, and it's exactly why eso combat system is much more fun then in other games.

Ego stroking much?
    Be careful what you wish for because i don't think you would like the game without ac, and it can't be removed anyway, so.

Yeah I believe I personally would. Especially in PvP when Sorcs can no longer do their 3 second bursts.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes, i use it
    It is ugly. But i have to use it.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    It's pretty much second nature to me now.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • munster1404
    munster1404
    ✭✭✭
    no i don't
    I tried but never got the hang of it even after days of hammering at a target dummy. Switched to tanking when I realised I ain't cut out for DPS.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    I do, but I also want to think the gameplay would be better balanced if it weren't possible.

It would just be boring.

By the way, since i know that the people who are saying that ac allows you to use like 2 skills in one second will come, know this, in pve, you never use blockcancel, you know why? Because it's a dps loss, you cannot ignore gcd, but by blocking you will halt your stamina regen, and imagine trying to react to an attack without ac, it would be terrible, eso is more dynamic then wow, which is why animation cancelling allows good players to distinguish themselves from bad players, and it's exactly why eso combat system is much more fun then in other games.

Be careful what you wish for because i don't think you would like the game without ac, and it can't be removed anyway, so.

The guy you're quoting didn't say he doesn't want animation cancelling to exist, but light attack weaving, and I agree with that. Animation cancelling should exist and in fact be expanded to queued skills cancelling the animation of the previous ones once the GCD is over. But light attacks and heavy attacks should be put on the same GCD as skills.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »

It would just be boring.

By the way, since i know that the people who are saying that ac allows you to use like 2 skills in one second will come, know this, in pve, you never use blockcancel, you know why? Because it's a dps loss, you cannot ignore gcd, but by blocking you will halt your stamina regen, and imagine trying to react to an attack without ac, it would be terrible, eso is more dynamic then wow, which is why animation cancelling allows good players to distinguish themselves from bad players, and it's exactly why eso combat system is much more fun then in other games.

The guy you're quoting didn't say he doesn't want animation cancelling to exist, but light attack weaving, and I agree with that. Animation cancelling should exist and in fact be expanded to queued skills cancelling the animation of the previous ones once the GCD is over. But light attacks and heavy attacks should be put on the same GCD as skills.

But then what differentiates eso combat from wow? i mean, at that point it would be just a bad copy of wow combat where you are using only 5 skills per bar, personally i would not like that at all.
    Edited by JinMori on April 21, 2018 2:13AM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    ZeroXFF wrote: »

It would just be boring.

Light Attack Weaving and Animation Cancelling are the same thing. It's pretty much how you do it, and yes I meant I'd be fine with Animation Cancelling not being a thing. As far as I care it's an unintended exploitation of gameplay mechanics that became so widely accepted by the playerbase that ZOS were probably too afraid to call it an Exploit, even though it is one by definition.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes, i use it
    Been doing it since the early days of the game on PC before it was even a term hehe.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    I try.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    I also use heavy weaves. :)
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to, but honestly I play pve like PvP as I find using a set rotation pretty boring. Luckily I can solo most pve content so I'm not holding anyone else back. I just like dynamic combat over set rotations. I can burst most content down in seconds so I don't really focus on weaving, though I know it provides maximum dps.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes, i use it
    If you don't use it, you're leaving money (DPS) on the table.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    Why would you not, proc enchant free damage ult regeneration
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    I don't do it consistently, but I do it when I need to.

I think that if most people had alternatives to weaving to make combat interesting and/or improve their DPS, they would choose that instead. But we have attack weaving, so it's what we do.

But I would contend the point that simply because someone does it that they like it. That's an unfortunate generalization when there are many people who do it simply because it's what is needed to take the DPS up to the next level, not because they enjoy it. I find attack weaving boring. But It's necessary at times, So I do it.

BDO is a perfect example of a game that doesn't rely on a repetitive boring pattern like weaving to make combat interesting. FFXIV also has more interesting approaches (though they're GCD kills it...they still have some very interesting ways to make combat with each class differentand involved). Even Tera has different approaches. Blade and soul's combat system was very interesting and challenging, and didn't have anything close to the concept of spamming a default attack in after every skill use.

I do agree that weaving is here to stay, And I do agree that it is enough of a difference in output that DD should use it (I would probably argue on the point of healers...depending on your build heavy attacks can be much more productive then light attacks) But I digress...I only wanted to point out that not everyone who DOES weaving does it because they enjoy it, and not everyone who does it thinks it's the best choice for the game.

Personally, I would like them to add an option for animation blending, so my toons wouldn't spaz when I weave attacks. In it's basic form. attack weaving is really just manually triggering your default attack. Funny that WoW is brought up as a reference, because that's the only real difference. WoW does it automatically for you behind the scenes, ESO makes you push a button for it.

But WoW handles the animations better, if you execute a skill while your DA is going off, it still goes of, it still registers, but you just smoothly continue through your skill animation, and the default attack damage is added on. I'd love to see ESO do something like this through an animation blending option, so people like myself who don't like to watch their character experience an seizure every time they attack don't have to.
    Edited by temjiu on April 21, 2018 6:05AM
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea one way or the other...

When I'm on my Nightblade, I pretty much spam one skill while dancing around the enemy. Might throw in some others depending upon the situation.

When I'm on my Warden, I throw everything I've got including light / heavy attacks. I just have no idea if it is a weave. Its more like whatever the game decides to do after I've clicked a whole bunch of buttons.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    I can't even imagine playing this game without light attacks between every ability and animation cancel them...
    The combat would be even slower than it already is...
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    i use it,
    but i wish it did not exist, animation canceling should never have existed.
    it has ruined eso pvp.

I wouldn't call weaving and animation cancelling the same thing.
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    I'm a horrible weaver and I'm not going to spend hours practicing. But animation cancelling shouldn't be a thing. My fingers can't work that fast. For these two reasons I'll never be banging out group dungeons by myself. Hell, I'm not even good enough to join a group. I'm a liability.

Then why would you want to remove ac if it doesn't affect you at all? i mean you already admitted that you are pretty much a liability and that you don;t do much end game content because of it, so why would you want to take away something that characterizes eso combat, why not instead try to become better?

I really don't get this, some people say that ac shouldn't be in this game, but they don't even understand the implications of removing it, which i already listed some above, at this point i think it's more a problem of envy then anything else, you just don;t want ac, because you don;t like people doing better then you, and that;s in general, not just you specifically, but that's what i get from what i read about removing animation cancelling.

I can't do as well as him, so maybe if i remove this, then we will be equal, no, you won't and this is the definition of envy, envy is not, i want that thing, i want to do the same damage, healing etc as he can, envy is, i don;t want this person to be better then me, so i will try to do things to make it so he will be as bad as me, well, sorry for you, but even in reality it won't work.

Because I'm a dreamer. If it was gone then maybe...maybe I could have some trophies on my bare Hunding's walls...

No, you wouldn't that's the fact, because you are a bad player as you yourself admitted, therefore removing ac wouldn't make you better, because you already are not using it.

It woulds only make good players do less dps, but good players will still not play with bad players if possible, therefore, you have 2 things you can do, become better, or just stay where you are, that is the truth.

You made your point already. A question was asked, I answered, you gave a rebuttal and I gave a light response. It's not going anywhere so I'll continue what I've been doing for a year: play. If it REALLY bothered me I wouldn't play anymore.

I don't know what answer you're looking for from me but you're probably not going to get it.

his answer is from false information, the idea that a player is "Good" by using exploits and mechanics that are not and were never intended falls under the category of a illusion and only a dream.

you are a good, and from what you described as your playing in eso, sounds to me like you are just as good as ALL the players in eso.

he is simply not willing to accept the reality that animation canceling does not make you skilled and a "good player",

it simply means you abuse the mechanics in a way that was not intended.

It is literally part of the game now. They even teach new players it in the level up adviser. Whether or not it was an intended feature, it is now an official feature and thus doesn't need to be called an exploit.
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    at least i try to
    PC
  • central_scrutinizer
    yes, i use it

We get it, you really want to make yourself feel good by trashing a stranger. We're all so proud of you, you're so cool.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    I do it and I'm good at it, and I enjoy doing it
  • Animus-ESO
    Animus-ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because you use it every day with out even realizing it. You are just under the impression AC is some kind of mystical art where you can fire off more skills then normal people which is false. If you ever casted a buff and bar swapped with in a second if casting you animation canceled. If you couldnt this game would feel awful
    Dude Where's My Guar?
  • Animus-ESO
    Animus-ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    You have to. In pve. I hate it utterly tho.

Robotic boredom

Pve is boring in general
    Dude Where's My Guar?
  • Animus-ESO
    Animus-ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We get it, you really want to make yourself feel good by trashing a stranger. We're all so proud of you, you're so cool.

He may be an *** but he is right
    Dude Where's My Guar?
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    I can only do it reliably with a Destruction staff; luckily, that's my preferred playstyle as well. Not that it really matters, because my DPS is still low.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i use it
    I don't see how it matters if it was originally an exploit. ZoS has made their stance on it obvious by adding it to the leveling advisor and pretty much balancing around it with content.

Every skill has a roughly one second global cooldown. Light attacks have their own roughly one second global cooldown (there is no attack speed stat in this game). All you do is using the other during that cooldown to increase your damage.

It is something that makes ESO combat unique. ESO combat is already not very fast paced and without weaving it would seem even more dull.

The bigger problem I have is animation cancelling via bash, block, roll or bar swap. At it's core I like that those exist and feel like they are a measure of skill. It's very satisfying to use properly. My problem is that these can be scripted which allows for faster cancels than input lag from peripherals, bad fps or bad latency would allow players without these scripts. It would be great if the game would take input, but delay the cancel a little so that there is no way for a script to just be faster than humans. That would also stop all those kiddies crying in PvP because someone with better ping cancels quicker than them.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don’t real care, I just use heavy attacks... with a two handed sword they are sooooo cinimatic, between that, leap and dark anchors you’ve sold me the game, everything else is gravy B)