The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Did I make a mistake rolling a magWarden (magden)?

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, while I wait out the SS tests and all and for the jury to be out on magDK I went and rolled a mag Warden. I mean its a shiney new class, no? THEN I went and had a look here...omg, what did I do? From the few posts I read they basically suck. In both areas. Now granted, I am a PVE player first and mostly and had hoped that this toy of ZOS' would be cool. Did I screw up and the forum is just full of cry-babies or do they truly suck and are the red-headed step child of ESO? Again, from a pve perspective.

Ok, so whats the deal with starting with 1 attack? Is this class meant to be a healer first and foremost? If so, gonna delete before I invest too much time. Cheers for the feedback all!
Edited by Joxer61 on April 19, 2018 12:47PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Mine is just fine weaving hammer strikes in between those rubedite swords he puts in boxes :D
    Edited by Asardes on April 19, 2018 12:33PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Nope. Mine is just fine weaving hammer strikes in between those rubedite swords he puts in boxes :D

Oh snap that's not what I was hoping to hear! ;)
  • LordMitchell123
    For a Magden PvE build, check out this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMoR1e4wKw4&t=61s I'm going to try this soon.
    Myself I didn't have much faith in magden either (that is for pvp tho) but with the right build a friend helped me with, i got waaay further.
    Magden is definetly viable for pve and pvp, there just don't seem to be that many 'use this and be OP' type of posts.
    Don't give up on it yet :)
    PC EU
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a Magden PvE build, check out this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMoR1e4wKw4&t=61s I'm going to try this soon.
    Myself I didn't have much faith in magden either (that is for pvp tho) but with the right build a friend helped me with, i got waaay further.
    Magden is definetly viable for pve and pvp, there just don't seem to be that many 'use this and be OP' type of posts.
    Don't give up on it yet :)

Thanks heaps for that! I have to say after cruising the forums again (its what I do for info) I was starting to get really discouraged about my choice. I mean I want to play a class that makes me fall in love with the game again, its why I came back! I have a lvl50 DK sitting waiting for SS to drop and see what plays out from there so was really hoping Warden would be as fun and viable if not more. We shall see I guess. Cheers ! ;)

And there are other vids on youtube as well! THANK YOU!! Spirits lifted!
    Edited by Joxer61 on April 19, 2018 1:53PM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to have fun playing and exploring, doing dungeons, and being in large PvP groups, mag Warden will be more than fine. Normal trials will be easy enough, even vet trials of the rest of your team is very good and isn't going for leader board spot. But it will he almost impossible (currently) for you to pull top dps, and will be very very difficult to be as successful as other classes, or as a stam Warden, in solo or small group PvP.

You can have a lot of fun playing as a mag Warden, but you will have to be carried through competitive content.
    Edited by Reverb on April 19, 2018 1:59PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't delete. If nothing else, you can always tank or heal with the warden just fine
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    It depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to have fun playing and exploring, doing dungeons, and being in large PvP groups, mag Warden will be more than fine. Normal trials will be easy enough, even vet trials of the rest of your team is very good and isn't going for leader board spot. But it will he almost impossible (currently) for you to pull top dps, and will be very very difficult to be as successful as other classes, or as a stam Warden, in solo or small group PvP.

You can have a lot of fun playing as a mag Warden, but you will have to be carried through competitive content.

Yea, pvp will be few and far between, just not my jam. But plan on doing the dungeons and all that other pve goodness with guildies, maybe some group pvp at some point, who knows? But leadership boards and all that...am far to new to the gme to even think down that road, I'll let the big boys do that crazy stuff! Just want to be viable...and fun!
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    Don't delete. If nothing else, you can always tank or heal with the warden just fine

Yea, thanks to vid above I have found other vids with great builds/advice and info! Actually excited to level it now! Cheers!
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LordMitchell123 Just wanted to say a huge THANKS for linking that vid, and it took me to several others that showed how the class is very viable in most of the pve content that I will be doing! I tend to be a bit of a min/max'er so down the track I can try and squeeze all I can out it but right now am really enjoying the whole frosty theme and all of it, its a nice change from burn,burn,burn! Cheers mate!!
    Edited by Joxer61 on April 19, 2018 3:47PM
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy playing my MagDen. It's not my most effective character but the skills feel a bit different and I enjoy it. I don't regret any of my characters, I assume that as meta shifts some will be better than others.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • LordMitchell123
    Awsome to hear you're excited @Joxer61 :D I'm happy I could help you in finding your way to something you enjoy. I'm actually quite curious myself now for those other vids so I'll be on yt tonight.
    I hope you keep enjoying the warden as much as I do!
    PC EU
  • Princess_Ciri
    Princess_Ciri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Wardens don't suck at all.

Most people who hate on Magicka Wardens suck at playing DD so they see their failings at playing the class = the class being bad. But as u can see from the videos linked, Magden DDs can be just as viable at end game as any other class.

And anyone who says magdens need to be carried through competitive content, I know this isn't true. There are a few very good magden DD players out there who contribute a lot to their group.
    GM and raid leader of Hot Girls Play DPS, the cutest guild EU
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this talk about this and that sucking is mostly grossly exaggerated.

I mean, if you read the forums, you would think this or that "sucking" would score a 15-20 on a scale from 1 to 100.
    In reality, things score 92-97. But since it's not a 99 or 100, they "suck". Take it with a grain of salt. All classes are fine, except in extremely competitive environment like hunting for world firsts or such.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mine is a magic one as well, I will also admit that early on I did consider deleting.... but I’m glad I didn’t, this thing is brutal B) it’s a dps healer hybrid, basicaly a medic with an attitude problem... I keep the bear alive, maintain three buffs and four aoe, mister fuzzy and some heavy attacks do the single target and the aoe does the rest, the warden might not be top of the dps tree but they can do decent single target, good aoe and for relatively little effort be made amazingly robust, stick with it. o:)
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The magic warden is a fun and easy class to play. They’re the jack of all things really. While not really being the best at anything, they’re quite strong at many things. For me, it’s my play how I want to class. Perfect for a normal challenge.

I steer clear of vet stuff with him though. Not tuff enough for vet. Z. Max kind of screwed the pooch on that aspect.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not that Magden is bad ... Ish... When you read about Magden lacking it's in the context of top-end end game comparisons.

Examples are like trials in a group where any other class would be dealing more damage (as dps) or in PvP when you compare top end players facing each other.

It can complete any content, you can and more than likely will have fun and enjoy it. If you play PvP there's just gonna be some players you'll be at a disadvantage, but you can still roflstomp plenty of others.

Comments are directed for players that already have one of each class leveled and are deciding which to use
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rerolled my main to a Magicka Warden when Morrowind dropped... and I don't regret it one bit :p The class is incredibly fun to play, has many great and pretty animations and can be made really strong no matter what role you choose to play

I mostly play mine as a healer, both in PvE and PvP, but I also occasionally DPS with him as well. Now, honestly, the Magicka DPS isn't as great as some of the other classes out there but it's still very much possible to reach good levels with a MagDen and they're definitely viable for dungeons, trials and veteran content.

Give the class a go and, more importantly, see if you like it. Try to have fun, otherwise what's the point? :p
    Edited by Tryxus on April 19, 2018 10:45PM
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Princess_Ciri and @LordMitchell123 , so just want to ask really quick, and this is for others as well....what skills do you all use for just questing/levelling and such? I have seen the builds on youtube and all but those are mostly lvl 50ish kinda stuffs. I am enjoying the class very much but do struggle with damage and that, and the bear is a tad weak (and its a BEAR!!!) lol. So is more the case of the skills get better once they are higher level/morphed etc.?
    All good with that but was just curious as to what works best for low level, they never youtube them kinds of builds do they!! cheers. ;)
  • Princess_Ciri
    Princess_Ciri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Joxer61

The skills I used when I was levelling my Magden were:

Enchanted growth (the mushroom heal), just because you can use it to heal yourself so it's pretty useful if you are close to dying. You can change this to Lotus Blossom (the 4th skill in Green Balance) or Living Vines when you can unlock them, as both also provide another way to heal that are less expensive.

Force Pulse/Screaming Cliff Racer. The Cliff racer is less expensive so if you are running out of resources, I would use that over force pulse, but force pulse will do a bit more damage.

Deep Fissure. Has nice damage and stuns, so it's good for fighting multiple enemies.

Fetcher Infection. (This is the swarm of bugs you put on people) This is a really strong DoT so if you put it on enemies with lots of health it will help you kill them. Your advanced species passive from Animal Companions also increases your damage done for every ability slotted, so if you have Screaming Cliff Racer, Deep Fissure, Fetcher Infection AND the bear, with this passive fully levelled that's an extra 8% damage.

The last skill I had on my front bar was either inner light (from mages guild) or annulment/harness magicka which you get from the light armour tree.

Then ofc I use the bear ultimate. You can also use meteor if you have mages guild levelled, or the destruction staff ultimate for more AoE, but the bear is pretty good, and keeps aggro off you sometimes, so that's nice.

On my back bar I used Winter's Revenge, Elemental Blockade, Betty Netch, Ice Fortress and the mushroom heal (just so I could level green balance, I didn't use the mushroom heal much since shields are usually better if you are taking damage).

This uses 2 destruction staves, if you are having issues staying alive you could always try and use a restoration staff but I think for questing and levelling, 2 destro staves are better for killing things and give you access to more DoTs and damage.

But yeah you will find that the skills do more damage the more they get levelled, and a large part of it is down to your CP, gear and practice for your rotation. Hope this helps anyway :)

GM and raid leader of Hot Girls Play DPS, the cutest guild EU
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Princess_Ciri THANK YOU!! ;)
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I level a character I pretty much don't give a damn what I use but I alternate between all the class skills and 2 weapon skill lines on the front bar and don't allocate anything in passives. Grindstorm Arena is so forgiving I can just light and heavy attack everything to death and 40-45 minutes later I'll gain 4-5 levels, or as much as 8 if it's really low, like just out of the tutorial :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I wouldn't consider a warden class being spank shining new, as Morrowind has been out for a year now. All classes are good toons, as long as you like it. I have both a mag and stam warden, and I enjoy them both. Both are good toons to me and dps just fine as any other toons. Not sure how or if I grasp the concept of some selected few who claim or boasting that warden lack dps. Both of my wardens seem to melt down any adds/mob/bosses just fine. It's what build/set you're wearing and what skills/rotations you are using, similarly to any other toon. There is no mistake about it if you enjoy the toon. If you don't, for whatever reason, then it can possibly be a mistake. Then, go with another toon that you enjoy or like to play.