The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[Poll] Non-Exclusive Motif Pages in Crown Crates (updated)

• resdayn00
    resdayn00
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like exclusive motif pages in Crown Crates.
    Two questions:

Are they motif pages or outfit styles?

Which rarity are they in?
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Resdayn Indoril, Dunmer Magicka Nightblade - Main

Pactum Dunmeri | Ard Feainn | Aetherius Art | Kley Guild

Achievement points: 26k+
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm indifferent or have other thoughts.
    Everyone draws a line somewhere. My line is drawn much, much farther than this. That is not to say I am right, just that in my (tbh, worthless) opinion, I am not going to get upset enough to make a fuss about a cosmetic motif for armor in a video game.

My line gets drawn the second you see a non cosmetic weapon in the store, and my sub stops if that weapon is equal to or better than what I can craft or find.
  • moonio
    moonio
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think as long as they add new and equally nice motifs in game it is fine, however I've said this before elsewhere... game developers should have a moral duty of care towards its players.

Encouraging people to gamble in order to obtain rare items where the drop rates are not published and may even be non existent is bad form and casts a negative shadow on gaming and gamers.

• heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mnwild1998 wrote: »
    Back in the day im sure a poll about sub fees would have the same results from the same people.

The 86% complainig about the store were the same people complaining about sub fees and wanting f2p b2p games. Well congrats boys you created this yourself.

I dont buy store item with real money i pay a sub and use what they give me. Right now the cool thing to do in the "video game forum community" is complain about the stores. I find it ironic and hilarious as most of you brought this on yourself.

Seriously, stop with this. You're making baseless assumptions regarding people who play for free vs people who sub and that, somehow, only the former are against crown crates and therefore they're wrong because they want everything for free. It's highly inaccurate. Like...where the **** did you pull that 86% from?

*should start a poll on how many people sub now (when it's optional) and still think the crown store and crates have gotten out of hand*
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they're drop-only, UGH. No. Stop with that garbage. If they can be redeemed for gems, I don't really care. It's still spending money.

Personally, my ideal system would be to offer motif BOOKS as a reward for difficult achievements and/or interesting, unique quest lines. Preferably the latter; questing is fairly boring in this game.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Istoppucks
    Istoppucks
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am fine with exclusive motif pages in Crown Crates.
    heaven13 wrote: »
    Back in the day im sure a poll about sub fees would have the same results from the same people.

The 86% complainig about the store were the same people complaining about sub fees and wanting f2p b2p games. Well congrats boys you created this yourself.

I dont buy store item with real money i pay a sub and use what they give me. Right now the cool thing to do in the "video game forum community" is complain about the stores. I find it ironic and hilarious as most of you brought this on yourself.

Seriously, stop with this. You're making baseless assumptions regarding people who play for free vs people who sub and that, somehow, only the former are against crown crates and therefore they're wrong because they want everything for free. It's highly inaccurate. Like...where the **** did you pull that 86% from?

*should start a poll on how many people sub now (when it's optional) and still think the crown store and crates have gotten out of hand*

86% was the number from the poll at the time I created the post. Is that OK with you?

Out of hand haha according to the vocal minority yeah they are totally out of hand but the vocal minority its always screaming doom and gloom.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

86% was the number from the poll at the time I created the post. Is that OK with you?

Out of hand haha according to the vocal minority yeah they are totally out of hand but the vocal minority its always screaming doom and gloom.

And I repeat, you have NO correlation data between whatever this polls numbers are and who complained about subs in 2015. I posted elsewhere and I will repeat here:

Mounts used to be under 2000 crowns. Some of the horses were under 1000! Pets were 400 crowns. Cosmetics cost less than the DLC except in some fancy cases. Those were acceptable prices for digital goods. A sub crown allowance for a month could buy a mount and a pet, or a fancier mount. Now it takes 2 months sub to get 1 mount, IF it's available for direct purchase. It takes a month sub to get a single outfit slot for a single character. Crown prices have risen substantially and for no obvious reasons other than "because we can".

These are microtransactions, of digital goods, which take little time to produce, and have very little development cost other than the dev's salary and server space. To charge such high amounts is something customers SHOULD question. It's why crowns exist: it's a level of separation between what you get and what you pay. Some companies have done away with fake currency to which I say good riddance (though I do the real cost analysis anyway, some don't). I just wish ZOS would go back to the early days of the crown store where the prices actually reflected the content.

Add to that the crown crates with exclusive content (or even content that was removed from the crown store directly to be put in crates) and now crown exclusive motif PAGES...yes, it is out of hand.

Let's tally up all the ways ZOS makes money in this game:
    1. Cost of game (buy to play model)
    2. Cost of DLCs
    3. Cost of Chapters (separate from above)
    4. Crown Store direct purchase content (now with giant advertising, also includes limited time only housing of which 1 can total over $100 USD)
    5. Optional Subscription
    6. Crown Crates (crown store gamble content)

The list of what keeps adding to the store grows, while game systems are gimped to push people to the store (outfit system, housing system, furnishing, even super rare motifs that are then sold in crown store like BA). And the line of what is cosmetic gets stretched thinner and thinner; a mount or a costume, sure, cosmetic. Actual motifs that can be crafted and then sold/traded to other players, sorry, that's not cosmetic in my eyes because, as a crafter, that actually impacts my gameplay and the enjoyment I get out of the game. I've been tracking recipes, motifs, and furnishing plans and trying to learn them all, even with the ever-moving goal posts. When stuff like that gets locked in the crown store and now, even worse, split apart AND put in crown crates where I'd have to pay money to gamble to maybe get a page and keep going to get at least one of the whole set...no. It's unacceptable.

A company can be successful AND profitable without resorting to this amount of hostile marketing/"cosmetic" fluff.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
  • Faylis
    Faylis
    ✭✭✭

And I repeat, you have NO correlation data between whatever this polls numbers are and who complained about subs in 2015. I posted elsewhere and I will repeat here:

Mounts used to be under 2000 crowns. Some of the horses were under 1000! Pets were 400 crowns. Cosmetics cost less than the DLC except in some fancy cases. Those were acceptable prices for digital goods. A sub crown allowance for a month could buy a mount and a pet, or a fancier mount. Now it takes 2 months sub to get 1 mount, IF it's available for direct purchase. It takes a month sub to get a single outfit slot for a single character. Crown prices have risen substantially and for no obvious reasons other than "because we can".

These are microtransactions, of digital goods, which take little time to produce, and have very little development cost other than the dev's salary and server space. To charge such high amounts is something customers SHOULD question. It's why crowns exist: it's a level of separation between what you get and what you pay. Some companies have done away with fake currency to which I say good riddance (though I do the real cost analysis anyway, some don't). I just wish ZOS would go back to the early days of the crown store where the prices actually reflected the content.

Add to that the crown crates with exclusive content (or even content that was removed from the crown store directly to be put in crates) and now crown exclusive motif PAGES...yes, it is out of hand.

2. Cost of DLCs
    4. Crown Store direct purchase content (now with giant advertising, also includes limited time only housing of which 1 can total over $100 USD)
    5. Optional Subscription

The list of what keeps adding to the store grows, while game systems are gimped to push people to the store (outfit system, housing system, furnishing, even super rare motifs that are then sold in crown store like BA). And the line of what is cosmetic gets stretched thinner and thinner; a mount or a costume, sure, cosmetic. Actual motifs that can be crafted and then sold/traded to other players, sorry, that's not cosmetic in my eyes because, as a crafter, that actually impacts my gameplay and the enjoyment I get out of the game. I've been tracking recipes, motifs, and furnishing plans and trying to learn them all, even with the ever-moving goal posts. When stuff like that gets locked in the crown store and now, even worse, split apart AND put in crown crates where I'd have to pay money to gamble to maybe get a page and keep going to get at least one of the whole set...no. It's unacceptable.

A company can be successful AND profitable without resorting to this amount of hostile marketing/"cosmetic" fluff.

Things you should also list as optional:
    Crown store direct purchase
    Crown crates

• ErinGoBrag520
    ErinGoBrag520
    ✭✭✭
    I will not buy the crates and I am upset by motifs going in them. I have been an eso plus subscriber for over a year. I bought the crown store exclusive motifs but will not gamble for a possibility to own them.
  • Kybotica
    Kybotica
    ✭✭✭
    Thrawniel wrote: »
    Just no. I get crown exclusive motifs or full books in crates. Especially since up until current pts all books in crates were available through gameplay, and crates were just an alternative way for ppl who have money, but no time to grind. I bought both kinds myself.

But single pages in random crates, alongside with consumable trash... that's just too much. Don't cut the branch you're sitting on - there's always a limit to how much your players can take!

I usually spend a bit of money on crown store items almost every paycheck and get 15-crates pack each season, but if this *** goes live - I will never spend another dollar on crowns.

I'm the same way. This, if it goes live, may be the end of the game for me. I love collecting the motifs and various crafting recipes, and this would absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, ruin that aspect of this game for me forever.

I will not, unless this is removed/reworked to be less predatory, buy a single crate or additional upgrade or other item from ZoS in their crown store. This is taking something which works fine and, with no interest save predatory profiteering, making the game substantially worse. I can stomach the books in crates- I usually buy enough each set to get them using gems or with dumb luck. This makes that no longer the case, and they've lost me here.

I'm actually tempted, as a player who has been subbed since release and has played since closed beta, to remove my subscription for the first time ever.

If they put the book there, I can work with that. If they put the book up in the crates as purchasable for the same as they normally are with gems, and the individual pages can be traded/sold on the guild traders, then I will probably be alright with it. As is, I'm done with their money-grubbing.
    M'iaq the Honest- PC/NA
    EP Khajiit Nightblade
    Guild of Shadows
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Makes scam crates even more of a scam.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A resounding 'no'. CS exclusive motifs were bad already.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faylis wrote: »

2. Cost of DLCs
    5. Optional Subscription

Crown crates

I listed sub as optional since some MMOs have mandatory. No need to get pedantic since DLCs and chapters are also optional. Only mandatory buy in that list the base game itself.
    PC/NA

Meet my characters :
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking good and collecting motifs is my *end game*.
    So seeing motif chapters in crown crates, fills me with sorrow, anger, and despair. :\
  • Faylis
    Faylis
    ✭✭✭

2. Cost of DLCs
    5. Optional Subscription

Crown crates

I listed sub as optional since some MMOs have mandatory. No need to get pedantic since DLCs and chapters are also optional. Only mandatory buy in that list the base game itself.

Wasn't being pedantic, you listed all the ways ZOS makes money, but some of your listed items are optional and are based on an individuals "need" to have said item(s). This removes it from garenteed revenue and can fluctuate grately when trying to account for costs as a business.

People seem to want ZOS to make money and be successful, but also what to be able to dictate how the do it, I am not sure we can have that cake and eat it too.
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure we can have that cake and eat it too.
    I never understood this figure of speech. If I'm gonna get cake, damn right I'm gonna eat it. What else am I gonna do with it? :*

• Kybotica
    Kybotica
    ✭✭✭
    I never understood this figure of speech. If I'm gonna get cake, damn right I'm gonna eat it. What else am I gonna do with it? :*

The phrase, if I'm correct, is supposed to be understood as follows:

A person cannot eat a cake AND have that same cake exist in uneaten form simultaneously.
    M'iaq the Honest- PC/NA
    EP Khajiit Nightblade
    Guild of Shadows
  • Kybotica
    Kybotica
    ✭✭✭
    Also, @ZOS_GaryA @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom :

Can we get some sort of recognition that this is being looked into? It is obvious between this topic and this one (https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/407188/pyandonean-maormer-motif/p8) that the vast majority of those here do not like this concept.
    M'iaq the Honest- PC/NA
    EP Khajiit Nightblade
    Guild of Shadows
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kybotica wrote: »

The phrase, if I'm correct, is supposed to be understood as follows:

A person cannot eat a cake AND have that same cake exist in uneaten form simultaneously.

That makes sense. Though I'd just get two cakes. But I suppose I'm precisely the type of person that wants to have and eat that cake. ^^"
  • Lady_Scorp72
    Lady_Scorp72
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I don't buy crates, but I gotta say that the optics of this is terrible. Failing to include it in discussions along with the other changes prior to people discovering it, just makes it seem worse.

This feels to me like an out of touch executive level decision, where the devs and/or marketing teams probably wouldn't favour the idea, yet had no choice but to implement it (aka push the boundaries) and "see what happens". Hopefully, the backlash will force them to consider some concessions, like having the whole book as a drop item too, and/or as a limited crown store exclusive, but I think it's more likely they'll leave it and wait to see whether loot crate profits rise or fall.

It's kind of funny though, that we've had almost a month of events that have built up tons of positivity and player good will, and then they do something like this...sigh...customer relations giveth, and the execs taketh away. :p
    Bosmer Warden, backstabbing Thief and Mischief Maker

“You’re as stealthy as a Mammoth on tip-toes.”
    — NPC, The Rift
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another concern is Psijic crates ‘rewarding’ body markings available for free in character creation. Still no confirmation on if that’s a bug or just further evidence that ZOS doesn’t see the players as anything but cash-milking material
    Edited by Jhalin on April 20, 2018 12:03AM
  • MajesticHaruki
    MajesticHaruki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thumbs down to exclusive motif pages in crown crates. You wanna make a buck with crown motifs? No problem, put the whole book for sale for a fixed price. Gambling crate motifs is UNACCEPTABLE.
    PC/EU @MajThorax Sorcerer and Housing Decorator prodigy
    In my spare time I collect materials and run away from mudcrabs
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    Another concern is Psijic crates ‘rewarding’ body markings available for free in character creation. Still no confirmation on if that’s a bug or just further evidence that ZOS doesn’t see the players as anything but cash-milking material
    Yeah, that's seriously cheesy and awful. If it was a brand new body marking, it would be fine. It being the same one that I rejected in character creation, that comes as part of that mega body markings set in the crown store, is just awful. The only way that would be acceptible is if it took the place of those dumb potions and and poisons that they love to push on us, but I highly doubt that's the case.
  • Algraxa
    Algraxa
    ✭✭✭
    Don't really care, but I would much prefer not to HAVE to gamble to get things. Put them as purchasable items and allow them to be earned in game similar to crafting writs.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is new to me but damn if that's not a bug that's pretty low.
    Have you or anyone else bug reported it?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Wait, what?!

They've put in cash shop body markings which can be used for free in character creator by everyone?

@ZOS_GinaBruno is this true?
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    This one is new to me but damn if that's not a bug that's pretty low.
    Have you or anyone else bug reported it?

What if this is NOT a bug...?

ZOS is very lazy, in crown crates we are always getting tons of old items which were available for direct purchase is the past, or old items with new textures, like mounts and pets.

What if their laziness went even more further and now they will put base game features in crates?
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    Turelus wrote: »
    Poll results speak for themselves, ZOS.
    Sadly 31 votes are hardly anything which matter. If I made this in general discussion it might have done better but I wanted it to be in the right topic area at least.

After 100 votes we can start dev summoning ritual

160 so far.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @ZOS_MattFiror

Can you pass feedback from this poll to your marketing team? Thanks.
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As one of the ex "ESO's monetization is not that bad" apologists, I'm starting to change my mind. They're wading into dodgy SWTOR downfall territory.