The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Summerset specials for high elves?

• Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best passives in the game and asking for more special treatment.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyserus wrote: »
    I mean, you can explain your dunmer being outsider because he is houseless. Maybe the same can be exolained about a “kinless” altmer?

More retro-active justifications to justify ZOS's design oversights and shoddy worldbuilding. What's new?
    Kajuratus wrote: »
    The lore is already written for Altmer player characters to be considered an outsider from Summerset NPC's. There was literally no point in leaving your "paradise" of a home, so leaving Summerset in the first place was akin to a death sentence. Now you have the presence of an infectious mainland commoner about you

Why start following the first pocket guide now? They've already trashed the rest of it. And if we really believe this is ZOS's motivation for treating us as outsiders, then we should expect some unique dialogue about how we're "not real altmer" or a "traitor to our people". Somehow I doubt we'll get even that.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 20, 2018 10:46PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soleya wrote: »
    Bosmer in Mournhold speaking to my Bosmer character.

"What you never seen a wood elf before?"

"NO! HAVE YOU!?"

Yeah, that one still strikes me as stupid. Also, I'm pretty sure there's a Bosmer vendor in Stonefalls somewhere, so... yeah, probably.
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will be some unique dialogues for altmer race in Summerset. But yes, you are still will be outsider.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    The game doesn't tell us where our characters were born. Why would it automatically assume it wasn't Vvardenfell? It's a pretty strange experience as a new player to be immediately met with hostility from your own people. At least in the original Morrowind the Nerevarine was always an outsider as per the prophecy, but here there's no such reason.

I hate it when games which are supposed to be blank slate start making assumptions about your backstory for no good reason. (see also Fallout 4 where male characters start out with the implicit advantage of a military background)

Granted you can't expect the game to take account of every exotic fantasy going, like your character being the love child of Queen Ayrenn and Mannimarco, but having everyone call you "outsider" regardless of race is really nothing more than an exercise in saving on dialogue and voice actor fees.

Of course I'd also have hated it if every Altmer on Summerset called you "kisman" and implied you were from there, since one of my characters is a Direnni Altmer from High Rock. :D
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    Lyserus wrote: »
    I mean, you can explain your dunmer being outsider because he is houseless. Maybe the same can be exolained about a “kinless” altmer?

More retro-active justifications to justify ZOS's design oversights and shoddy worldbuilding. What's new?
    Kajuratus wrote: »
    The lore is already written for Altmer player characters to be considered an outsider from Summerset NPC's. There was literally no point in leaving your "paradise" of a home, so leaving Summerset in the first place was akin to a death sentence. Now you have the presence of an infectious mainland commoner about you

Why start following the first pocket guide now? They've already trashed the rest of it. And if we really believe this is ZOS's motivation for treating us as outsiders, then we should expect some unique dialogue about how we're "not real altmer" or a "traitor to our people". Somehow I doubt we'll get even that.

Some Altmer say things like "as an Altmer you must understand ..." and are pretty welcoming, others say you're just as much a newcomer to them as all the other immigrants. It pretty much depends on the individual I've found.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There def needs to be unique dialogue, nothing huge, but i tneeds to be there. I was REALLY upset when there was no unique dialogue in morrowind when i played with my argonian.
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »

@psychotrip You know as well as I do that ZOS will follow previous lore when its convenient to them. Anything that presents a challenge to them though... lol, gg
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jade1986 wrote: »
    There def needs to be unique dialogue, nothing huge, but i tneeds to be there. I was REALLY upset when there was no unique dialogue in morrowind when i played with my argonian.

I'm genuinely curious how High Elves would view the Argonians. I mean, probably not very highly, if Shadowfen was any indication...
    Edited by TonyRockaroni on May 14, 2018 9:43AM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm honesty not sure,
    Jade1986 wrote: »

I'm genuinely curious how High Elves would view the Argonians. I mean, probably not very highly, if Shadowfen was any indication...

Nice necro thread, @TonyRockaroni.

At any rate, High Elf player characters will get some limited special treatment in Summerset.

Special dialogue aimed towards High Elf characters was confirmed in the most recent ESO Live.

In addition, the new Sapiarch motif looks nice and is very much an Altmer theme (the weapons are similar to the basic Altmer racial motif ... but better).

Edited by Taleof2Cities on May 14, 2018 6:59AM
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defilted wrote: »
    I have been disappointed with NPCs not recognizing players of the same race. Morrowind is a really great example of this. Not sure why I was called and outsider with my new dark elf warden.

Another issue I have is all of the responses that require you to play dumb and ask what something is or is not. I would think a dark elf speaking to Vivec would not have to ask who he is or who the living God's are.

Based on the last chapter I doubt this was an improvement that was added into the game. If it was added, I would think it would have been touted in advertisements as this would be a massive addition/change to the game IMO.

I am just going to continue to use my own imagination as I have been and pretend the dialogue is occurring differently for my character of the same race.

Everyone not born and raised is an n'wah in the eyes of a dunmer so there is no problem with that (as if you played the tutorial you are an outlander you just wanted to visit morrowind) ...

As for the vivec part yeah that's a bit irritating.

Abd for the pretending dialogue...i do the same xD

Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lunarsyed wrote: »
    also im not really impressed with armor styles in med or heavy coz they still look like robes, something like court of bedlam would be more suited as heavy armor.

Court of Bedlam looks great. Unfortunately it dyes horribly! If you want to have the metal parts in a particular colour, it also dyes all the cloth along with it :disappointed:
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuwen wrote: »
    Think the high elves will get anything special when Summerset is released? The high elves have kinda gotten jipped so far. We only have 1 house in Auridon, we hardly have any outfits available specifically for high elves, and I font find many craftable items for high elves. Think that was put off, knowing they were going to eventually doing Summerset? Think we'll get special items just for high elves?

i have 3 properties in Auridon myself. my lackluster crafter knows 30 furnishings (just counting those specifically designated "High Elf") despite never having focused on it. motifs 1, 11, 16, and 25 all seem particularly tailored to Altmer above else.

they also announced new houses and motifs for the Chapter already. do you need a link to the website you're on? there's one at the top of this page that you're on.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kodrac wrote: »
    Doubtful. The dark elves in Vvardenfell never figured out I was one too.

But that was in TES:Morrowind the same - the guards in vivec are just rude to everybody - it's their trade mark :-)
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kodrac wrote: »
    Doubtful. The dark elves in Vvardenfell never figured out I was one too.

In fact, they did. I clearly remember some dialogue lines explicitly referring to my character as a Dunmer, in some case even shocked about things I didn't that I was supposed to know for being a Dunmer and such.

There's even one NPC that acknowledges your vampirism.
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuwen wrote: »
    Think the high elves will get anything special when Summerset is released?

Yes, and ZoS has already confirmed it!

They are getting Summerset Isle.

Edited by Aesthier on May 14, 2018 12:42PM