The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.4 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Question about character race and the high elves

LindsC
LindsC
✭✭✭
How do they treat all of the races in Tamriel? Are they friendly to High Elves? What about the rest of the Dominion?
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play the game. Learn it. It's not like there aren't any High Elves in the existing game. ;)
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    High elves tolerate all lesser races equally.
    Options
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From an immersion perspective, I'm also curious if the high elves in Summerset will recognize a high elf player character and be less racist to them?
    I hope they're not overtly racist though since we had enough of that with Vvardenfell and those dunmer, even though there were enough of them friendly. Here's hoping it's not all snobby racists.

By the way, I was thinking about this the other day and really all races are racist for the most part. They all distrust other races and often greet them poorly. Certain races are treated worse and to varying degrees by other races, but, in general, every race is racist to a point.
    It's pretty believable like the real world.
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From an immersion perspective, I'm also curious if the high elves in Summerset will recognize a high elf player character and be less racist to them?

I already had a negative reception from a character who shall remain nameless who made a snide remark that even though my character is Altmer, I was not born in Summerset.

Shortly after that, I killed him.
    Options
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »

I already had a negative reception from a character who shall remain nameless who made a snide remark that even though my character is Altmer, I was not born in Summerset.

Shortly after that, I killed him.

So it's TES3 Morrowind all over again where we're an outlander/N'wah and all put on the defensive to make us all hold hands and sing Kumbaya before we save the racists sorry behinds.

Ok. I'm on board the messiah train.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even in the first quest, its clear that like the Dunmer, the Altmer of Summerset know an outlander when they see one.

There is no option for being an Altmer born and raised on Summerset that I can see.
    Options
  • LindsC
    LindsC
    ✭✭✭
    Smaxx wrote: »
    Play the game. Learn it. It's not like there aren't any High Elves in the existing game. ;)

I haven't been able to download it. You're not helpful
    Options
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

... but the altmer aren't exactly high elves.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

Options
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LindsC wrote: »
    How do they treat all of the races in Tamriel? Are they friendly to High Elves? What about the rest of the Dominion?

They refer to themselves as the oldest and most cultured race in Tamriel. Don't get me wrong, I love elves in all lore, especially Tolkien's, however these much like the others exhibit the stereotypical elvish aloof- snobishness. Kind of like a cat without the fur. That being said, they can make strong allies if you can find yourself in their good graces.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

Options
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

They refer to themselves as the oldest and most cultured race in Tamriel. Don't get me wrong, I love elves in all lore, especially Tolkien's, however these much like the others exhibit the stereotypical elvish aloof- snobishness. Kind of like a cat without the fur. That being said, they can make strong allies if you can find yourself in their good graces.

I knew they reminded me of something! Look at that judgement! Bambino-kitten-1030x772.jpg
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
    Options
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So it's TES3 Morrowind all over again where we're an outlander/N'wah and all put on the defensive to make us all hold hands and sing Kumbaya before we save the racists sorry behinds.

I was afraid of this. There goes my new character idea of (shock! horror!) a Summerset Altmer beginning their adventures in Summerset. :(
    Options
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope they're not overtly racist though since we had enough of that with Vvardenfell and those dunmer, even though there were enough of them friendly. Here's hoping it's not all snobby racists.

By the way, I was thinking about this the other day and really all races are racist for the most part. They all distrust other races and often greet them poorly. Certain races are treated worse and to varying degrees by other races, but, in general, every race is racist to a point.

Well, without Spoilers, there is, in Alinor a chat with a Lady to get the Dailies started, I played a High Elf, got spoken to: A a Fellow High Elf
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
    Options
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One small hitch. The altmer are just the people who worship the high elves... Summerset is literally what is left of that ancient culture. The psijic order was established to preserve the old ways because the hearts of the aldmer people were being swayed towards worshipping false gods. Interestingly enough, the psijics are the birthplace of chim and necromancy.
    Edited by usmguy1234 on April 17, 2018 6:11PM
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

Options
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

bosmer....wood elf

dunmer.... dark elf

maormer ... sea elf

dwemer... lost elf (could be wrong on this one)

altmer... high elf
    Options
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Dwemer = deep elf (although they are also lost)

Options
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

bosmer....wood elf

dunmer.... dark elf

maormer ... sea elf

altmer... high elf

Aldmer are the true high elves. Altmer just worship them.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

bosmer....wood elf

dunmer.... dark elf

maormer ... sea elf

altmer... high elf

That's...not remotely how the term "high elf" is used in the other games. In Skyrim, you can make a "High Elf" aka an Altmer. So while perhaps technically correct, the TES games don't really back up that level of technical hairsplitting.
    Options
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More like, despise them all equally.
    Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

bosmer....wood elf

dunmer.... dark elf

maormer ... sea elf

altmer... high elf

Nopes... Aldmer are the first mer. Altmer are the high mer

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Aldmer
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

bosmer....wood elf

dunmer.... dark elf

maormer ... sea elf

altmer... high elf

That's...not remotely how the term "high elf" is used in the other games. In Skyrim, you can make a "High Elf" aka an Altmer. So while perhaps technically correct, the TES games don't really back up that level of technical hairsplitting.

This is how it is in the official lore: Aedra-> Mer-> Aldmer-> Altmer. The Aedra/Mer are basically gods/demigods.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

Options
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

bosmer....wood elf

dunmer.... dark elf

maormer ... sea elf

altmer... high elf

The modern Altmer are believed to resemble the original Aldmer. The Altmer today hold their ancestors in great reverence and constantly strive to emulate their ways; it has even been alleged that they selectively breed for Aldmer-like features.

From that exact article. Like I said, the altmer worship the aldmer. They are a lesser form of the aldmer.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether you're a slimy argonian or a dirty dark elf, the high elves see no difference. You're all inferior scum.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 17, 2018 7:10PM
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Altmer are not unlike the Aldmer. The Aldmer were the ones, who lived on old Aldmeris and came to Tamriel, with Summerset being where they arrived at first. Altmer is simply the term for those, who decided to stay on Summerset, rather than leaving Summerset. Just because something has gotten a slightly different name, doesn't mean it's something different.

The Altmer are just like Aldmer that originally came to Summerset. Of course, the Altmer want to preserve the past, aka the memory of the Aldmer. But change is inevitable, now matter how hard you try. But basically, the Altmer are Aldmeri genetically.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

bosmer....wood elf

dunmer.... dark elf

maormer ... sea elf

altmer... high elf

The modern Altmer are believed to resemble the original Aldmer. The Altmer today hold their ancestors in great reverence and constantly strive to emulate their ways; it has even been alleged that they selectively breed for Aldmer-like features.

From that exact article. Like I said, the altmer worship the aldmer. They are a lesser form of the aldmer.

Nopes (again)

Aldmer were the original elven race that came to Tamriel from Aldmeris, then the race split into several other races. It is not that Altmer worship the Aldmer, it's just they believe they are keeping the old way.

Consider that other mer races also believe they are keeping their old ways
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options
  • nouagea
    nouagea
    Soul Shriven

I'm going to answer OP's above question to the best of my ability while also addressing the other comments in the thread with regards to the Altmer, or High Elves and their disposition towards the other races of Tamriel. First and foremost, I'm going to offer a brief understanding of the Altmer from my understanding of the lore as established prior to Summerset's in-game expansion. It's worth noting that this is my understanding of the lore and anyone's free to add points to what's being said here or disagree entirely. I'll include links from where I draw my information so that you can read and discern for yourselves if you wish.

Altmer is the Aldmeris word for High Elf (Alt being an adjective meaning high, and mer the noun for Elf).
    Aldmer is Aldmeris for First Elf, but it can also mean old, ancient, or Proto (Ald meaning First, and mer meaning elf).

It's reasonable to say that how friendly an Altmer is to newcomers or other races depends entirely on the mer in question. Yes, a more than sizable amount of them will harbor a signature haughtiness about them, but some can demonstrate themselves to be approachable, even if it's by Altmeri standards. To understand this variation, we have to look at the Altmer's cultural past and how it's shaped the foundation of their disposition as a race.

The Doom of Aldmeris

The Aldmer are believed to have arrived to Summerset from the alleged lost city continent of Aldmeris in the Middle Merethic Era. For perspective, this would also be right around the time when the Direnni Clan rediscovers and captures the Adamantine Tower (source). From what can be understood, the Aldmer came to Summerset with humble beginnings which included a kind of egalitarian society where mer were treated as equals among themselves - something also reflective of their practice of ancestor veneration:
    "Early Aldmer society was agricultural and politically egalitarian. A system of ancestor worship had been exported whole from Aldmeris, and it brought with it a communal spirit that served the early settlers of Summerset well. When the Aldmer came together as a people to create the Crystal Tower, it was not a monument to any king or god, but rather to the spirit of the elven people, living and dead. Within the glittering walls of the Tower are housed the graves of the early Aldmeri settlers, preserved forever as a lasting symbol of the power of the people for that brief moment in history, fully unified. (Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition)"

How did a society of politically egalitarian mer evolve into a rigid, albeit haughty caste-based structure we see with Altmer today?

As Aldmeri society grew so too did social stratification. A hierarchy of classes would eventually sprout, separating mer into strictly enforced roles within their growing society. The tendrils of the Aldmer's social stratification also creeps into their practices of ancestral veneration and the results are important to note:
    "The religion of the people also changed because of this change in society: no longer did the Aldmer worship their own ancestors, but the ancestors of their "betters." Auriel, Trinimac, Syrabane, and Phynaster are among the many ancestor spirits who became Gods. A group of elders rebelled against this trend, calling themselves the Psijics, the keepers of the Old Ways of Aldmeris. With their mystical powers, they were able to settle in Artaeum, away from what they considered the corruption of their society. They continued to return to the land to act as advisors, but never again would they call Summerset home." - (Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition)

This is important to keep in mind because we can surmise that the reason the Psijics left Summerset was to preserve the "Old Ways of Aldmeris". However, the Psijic's weren't the only ones to leave Summerset during this social stratification period. The Great Velothi Dissident movement took place somewhere between the Middle and Late Middle Merethic Era when Veloth the Prophet led his followers out of Summerset to the land of Resdayn (now known as Morrowind) where they can be free from "those who were blind to the corruption and spiritual bankruptcy at the heart of their society" (Exodus from Summerset).

What of the Aldmer who remained on the Isle?

The Culture of Stasis

While it's not exactly clear how and why yet, the traditions of Summerset state that those Aldmer remaining on Summerset would become Altmer. Unlike the Psijics who left to preserve the Old Ways, or Veloth who left to lead his followers to a new promised land, the remaining mer persisted in upholding the veneration practices of a changed society (mainly worshiping elevated ancestor spirits as gods along with their chief ancestor, Auri-El). It can be argued that the disposition of Altmer today, whether we're talking Altmer in the 2nd Era ESO, or the 4th Era Altmer in Skyrim's timeline, can be explained by how Altmer are taught to regard themselves in relation to the other races. An in-game lorebook that provides some insight on the schism in the Human/Aldmeri worldview is the Monomyth: (The Monomyth - A theological book containing the common creation myths).

In a sloppy nutshell, the Altmer believe that Auri-El, their God King ancestor from who they all descended from, was tricked by Lorkhan (Spririt of Nirn and God of all Mortals) into creating Mundus which shed them of their former divinity. To make up for the error of falling for Lorkhan's trickery, Auri-El was believed to have "led the original Aldmer against the armies of Lorkhan in mythic times, vanquishing that tyrant and establishing the first kingdoms of the Altmer, Altmora and Old Ehlnofey" (Brother Mikhael Karkuxor). Upon doing so, he eventually ascends to Aetherius to watch over his followers so that they may learn what's needed to escape their mortal prison and return to divinity.

Auri-El, an ancestor spirit among the Aldmer of the upper caste, eventually becomes adopted by other Aldmer so that they may emulate their social betters. Altmer today, given this context, are keen to look down on the other races, but the same can be said of Altmer looking down on other Altmer. Summerset's rigid class structure is ripe with mer bent on preserving what they believe is essential order and preservation. By the Ancestors, if it's been this way for hundreds of years then it's going to stay that way hundreds more! Surely, how can the lesser races truly comprehend the pillars of our cherished lore? The other races are but children holding a candle to the greatness of the Altmer's lasting legacy.

Conclusion?

Yet, do all Altmer think the same?

Simply said, of course not. While they can seem similar, no two Altmer are the same. Like the Aldmer that preceded them, there are Altmer who probably still adhere to the traditions of their ancestors (egalitarian traditions before the social stratification) while others are adamant on the importance of Auri-El worship and all that it entails. One can argue that the social changes that took place between the Middle and Late Middle Merethic Eras are still the source of social unrest as mer engage in socio-political or theological disagreements well into the 3rd and 4th Era. The Altmer are indeed a long-lived bunch and it's easy to see grudges being held for a longer period of time. With that said, how any particular Altmer views the outside races or even other Altmer can vary on a multitude of social and cultural factors sculpting their perception of the world and themselves.
    Edited by nouagea on April 18, 2018 4:41PM
    "May the waters of perdition part your resolve."
    Options