Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Being an excellent 1v1er is more impressive then being an excellent 1vXer

• IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    Why is this even a thing? Using different set up per opponent's builds <<< using one build against who knows what builds that might be a hard counter to yours.
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on March 31, 2018 11:14AM
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭
    Agree
    Ocelot9x wrote: »
    Duels are just about cheese.
    The most impressive thing is to 1vx people on a medium nonstamblade character

Henlo fren
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭
    Agree
    I only put agree because I can't go into cyrodiil because I just DC every 5 mins
  • CaliMade
    CaliMade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    Im absolutley terrible at duels losing to every shmuck in storm haven. But i drop 1v4s like hot pancakes on a sunday morning
    Edited by CaliMade on March 31, 2018 12:54PM
    XB1 GT- Cali Made

Praetorian Stam DK Redguard

Brigadier Stam/magblade (whatever i feel like running) Redguard

Major Mag DK Dark Elf

lieutenant Mag/stamplar (whatever i feel like running) Redguard
  • Praeficere
    Praeficere
    ✭✭✭✭
    No ult no pots was how duels used to be
    Though the shadow has moved not,
    A thousand miles I’ve passed –
    Ageless as the mountains but forgetting not the past.

Are you Resolute?
    PC EU Progression Guild
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    Oh, did you mean duels? I was thinking of open world. Kill five players who are willing to chase you around the tower for ten minutes, ok then. Kill one player at your own skill level in a fight where both of you are completely focused on each other? Accomplishment. That does happen sometimes.
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree
    1vX takes place in an uncontrolled envirmoment with more variables, and so requires better decision making and situational awareness. So obviously, it requires more skill to perform well than controlled 1v1s where you can build for an instanced fight.

Open world outnumbered and instanced group vs group are the best tests of skill in eso. Dueling is far too gear dependent.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    Abstraqt wrote: »
    Ocelot9x wrote: »
    Duels are just about cheese.
    The most impressive thing is to 1vx people on a medium nonstamblade character

Henlo fren

Forgot to add the most impressive thing is to 1vX with Abstraqt connection
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    This game (PvP-wise) doesn't allow us to be excellent, or even good, at 1vanything. Too many times of lagging, skills and weapon swapping misfiring/delays and other crapshoots to effectively fight. I can't even tell, from all those times of being killed or have killed during a 1-on-1 or against 2 or 3, if I or those have been killed were legitimately so without some technical nuisances. Hey, a kill is a kill and whoever gets the win is a win, I guess, whatever..
  • Yubarius
    Yubarius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    wozborne wrote: »
    Agree or Disagree?

90% of 1vx's are against scrubs so yeah.
    • Yubarius - Magicka NB - Flawless Conqueror
    • YubariusX - Magicka Warden - Flawless Conqueror
    • Lord Yubarius - Stamina Sorc - Stormproof - Centurion
    • 'Rubick the Grand Magus - Magicka Sorc
    • Fair Child Tank - Stamina DK
    • Jaruko - Magicka Templar
    • Selthyn Bavailo - Mag DK
    • Bandit-The-Great - Stam Temp

• thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    Yubarius wrote: »
    Agree or Disagree?

90% of 1vx's are against scrubs so yeah.

You must run in a small group of 24
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    I have never really understood this topic most 1vXers have a back ground in dueling. I really look at it as 1vXing is the next step up after dueling. I have never met a good 1vXer who couldn't duel. But I know plenty of duelist who can't 1vX they have to play small groups. Also the level of skill required for dueling as dropped so much. It's really all about creating the most cheese build you can create for bragging rights. I remember when I would just hang out in the sewers and duel for hours it was fun and skillful you really didn't see the super dueling build you see now. We basically just dueled in our regular gear.

Arb duels by arena door with tri faction fighting right behind at spawns.

Those were the days.

Now duels are crutch builds or mechanics with defile.
    1vx isn’t as clean as it used to be with all the poisons (root/snare/resource), overwhelming defile, perma snare/gap close slow spans and tankier pugs spamming reverb. Weapon ults. Soul assault unbashable and when it did slow. Proc sets

Thieves to one tam felt optimized save a few tweaks to heavy and the ward nerf.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Disagree
    To me honestly the most important thing in eso is to do what you like to do. If you like to repair keep walls and siege 24/7 go for it. Im not going to rain on your parade if thats something you enjoy.

Its the people who harass you with whispers or pm's that ruin eso for me. I was just good at what i enjoyed. Anyone on ps4 na who knew me can agree to that statement.
    PS4 NA DC
  • JXNwarrior
    JXNwarrior
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree
    1v1 shows you can beat one player at a time. 1vX shows you can beat more than one player at a time. Yes, some Xv1'ers are light attack potatoes with 60cp, but you could also say that some (most IMO) duels are just a contest on who can exploit the most unbalanced part of PvP. I can have a higher skill level than someone but if they run an Argonian defile tank Stam DK and have two thumbs they will win 9/10 times. 1vX requires practice and knowledge of terrain, who to focus and when, and how to counter several different skills/builds at once.

IMO the average 1vX relies more on skill than the average duel. You can point to outliers for either but I have done a lot of both and that's my opinion.
    PC NA 300 CP
    PS4 NA 1200+ CP
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    Only to an extent. I know the duels for legend are pretty low cheese and show alot of skill, I have gotten 100x better sonce I have joined. But being able to 1vx is more impressive to me, that is if the X is not useless.

It's all relative though, I have seen cp200s get xv1 by a cp400. And I have seen cp 720s 1vx that cp 400.
  • Grimhallow
    Grimhallow
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree
    Of course good 1vXers are more impressive.

You can fight potatoes both dueling and 1vXing.

It's more impressive to fight 10 potatoes than 1, and it's more impressive to fight 10 great players than 1 (it's just more difficult, which is why most 1vX videos are one fantastic player against 3-4 good players and 1-2 potatoes.

Good duelers tend to be 1vXers in focused (aka:cheesy) 1v1 builds. But I sure do enjoy watching a good 1vX way more than a cheese build duel. I would be interested in watching two people with the same build duel. If you are 1vXing, then you are fighting players who are worse then you, or at least they are in that moment, but it doesn't necessary mean that they are always all potatoes. A good 1vX is way more fun to watch, and tends to be more impressive (assuming it's not just mashing potatoes).

Dueling is a great way to prepare for 1vXing. Getting comfortable in your build, and being able to quickly burst players is extremely important. If you simplify 1vXing, it is often a series of short 1v1s where you blow somebody up while kiting or tanking their friends, so being a good dueler is a necessity of a good 1vXer.

Even if you are fighting complete potatoes, could you not argue that you are just better at dueling then them?
    Edited by Grimhallow on April 2, 2018 9:17PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    Grimick wrote: »
    Of course good 1vXers are more impressive.

You can fight potatoes both dueling and 1vXing.

It's more impressive to fight 10 potatoes than 1, and it's more impressive to fight 10 great players than 1 (it's just more difficult, which is why most 1vX videos are one fantastic player against 3-4 good players and 1-2 potatoes.

Good duelers tend to be 1vXers in focused (aka:cheesy) 1v1 builds. But I sure do enjoy watching a good 1vX way more than a cheese build duel. I would be interested in watching two people with the same build duel. If you are 1vXing, then you are fighting players who are worse then you, or at least they are in that moment, but it doesn't necessary mean that they are always all potatoes. A good 1vX is way more fun to watch, and tends to be more impressive (assuming it's not just mashing potatoes).

Dueling is a great way to prepare for 1vXing. Getting comfortable in your build, and being able to quickly burst players is extremely important. If you simplify 1vXing, it is often a series of short 1v1s where you blow somebody up while kiting or tanking their friends, so being a good dueler is a necessity of a good 1vXer.

Even if you are fighting complete potatoes, could you not argue that you are just better at dueling then them?

My thoughts exactly
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    Only if the X are on equal footing. Otherwise it's just smacking down new players.
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither is impressive.
  • Millz
    Millz
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree
    Duels used to be fun before everyone just created duel only cheese builds. Right now duels are full of defile builds and petsorcs while all other builds are left in the dust (it's also the fault from ZOS to some extend for releasing cheesy sets which only work in duels). That said, I don't think that 1vX is super impressive either, smashing people who have far less experience isn't quality PvP nor can it ever be considered to be competitive.

The most impressive thing in my opinion would be battlegrounds if they would finally add matchmaking and seperate premade and solo queue. I also like the fact about them that the game mode you get is random so people are forced to play well-adjusted builds instead of creating something super cheesy which only works in deathmatch for example.

SEPARATE SOLO AND PRE MADE +1
    Brenhji
    PC NA - 400 cp
    (Retired) XBOX NA - 1006 cp

---Say no to standardization---
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    Almost anyone can do 1vx in this game provided decent skills . Cp 160 vs cp 720 is almost 100 percent effective on cps alone . Dps 50 percent increase . Defense 50 percent increase . Cp 720 player can one shot multiple cp160 players. It's not prove anything other than you are a ok and try to fool others. If you want really become good in PvP play 1v1 with good players. You will get what you are weakness are. 1vx is garbage other than ap farming and show off.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on April 5, 2018 12:12PM
  • JXNwarrior
    JXNwarrior
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree
    Almost anyone can do 1vx in this game provided decent skills . Cp 160 vs cp 720 is almost 100 percent effective on cps alone . Dps 50 percent increase . Defense 50 percent increase . Cp 720 player can one shot multiple cp160 players. It's not prove anything other than you are a ok and try to fool others. If you want really become good in PvP play 1v1 with good players. You will get what you are weakness are. 1vx is garbage other than ap farming and show off.

If you read the existing comments on this thread you can see the obvious flaws in your argument.
    PC NA 300 CP
    PS4 NA 1200+ CP
  • IAVITNI
    IAVITNI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    geonsocal wrote: »
    now ya got me wondering wozborne - what got you thinking about this...

i'm not familiar with dueling, just fighting in cyrodiil - I actually though feel less bad about getting killed by someone if the are also killing a few other folks too...

although bombers look super cool when they take out a half dozen or so different players, seems a little less impressive though than someone who is able to dodge roll, block, shield, heal and burst their way through 2 or 3 different players...

I’ve been dueling a lot on my Magsorc lately. Usually I can hold my own pretty well and have decent fights even if I Get beat. But some players (typically Atrocity members) like SpadeV_2 and others just absolutely destroy me, like not even close. Those people honestly impress me way more then someone that kills me with a cheap Dizzying Swing>DB after they been running around a rock for minutes on end. Yes, I get outplayed by both, but in one fight I’m fully ready to fight and have no excuse, and in the other it’s more not being able to hit them and then they surprise me when I’m not expecting it. Anyways sorry for the long winded explanation, but that’s how I got thinking about it since you asked.

@wozborne

#1 point is that a duel or 1vx is only impressive in an open world build.

Second, a proper 1vx is really just a bunch of isolated duels, dividing and conquering. I've done some 1vxs vs players that would hold their own in a 1v1. Hell, I've even x'd on people that I've lost to on occasion 1v1. You can win a 1vx vs equally skilled players, hence the existence of "expose" videos. What it comes down to is accurately assessing the situation and reacting accordingly, all on top of the combat mechanics that you would require in a duel. Those 1vx clips where you see 1vx'ers dropping 2-3 bodies all at once are only posted in montages. Lookup Miamiheat or Malcolm on youtube if you want to see some legit MagSorc 1vx's/

I'd say the biggest difference between you and Atrocity members is that they know how to differentiate between offensive and defensive windows. I'm pretty sure I've run with Spade at one point, Spade knows how to 1vx/outnumber. I'm also pretty sure we're in the same guild and that I've x'd on you on my stamblade xD which isn't my main class.

If you'd like we can run a duo/duel and I can point out why you're getting creamed by Atrocity members as I'm a magsorc main. Keep in mind that those are part of the elite players, I personally can't consistently beat them but if I were to duel them they would be the long,boring fights that pretty much only end when someone (usually me) gets punished for a mistake.
  • killimandrosb16_ESO
    killimandrosb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1vx means running around like a hamster in dire need of a wheel inside or in the close vicinity to a tower. How that can evenr be considered skillful is beyond my comprehension. Personally I find it only painful and will spend all my playing time Tbagging any idiot trying to do that if/when I finally stop them. Quadruple stam spent on running /dodging and cheesing around towers. Create a swamp environment inside and outside each one or if possible in a perfect world just remove completely resource towers and bring back some decency to cyrodiil. I honestly hope all 1vx resource tower runners get zerged down and mass Tbagged every day all the time and I do not mind admitting I create zergs to shut them down and emote all sort of rude emotes I can come up with. Heroes? Skills? Are you kidding me? What about a big fat NO
  • JXNwarrior
    JXNwarrior
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree
    1vx means running around like a hamster in dire need of a wheel inside or in the close vicinity to a tower. How that can evenr be considered skillful is beyond my comprehension. Personally I find it only painful and will spend all my playing time Tbagging any idiot trying to do that if/when I finally stop them. Quadruple stam spent on running /dodging and cheesing around towers. Create a swamp environment inside and outside each one or if possible in a perfect world just remove completely resource towers and bring back some decency to cyrodiil. I honestly hope all 1vx resource tower runners get zerged down and mass Tbagged every day all the time and I do not mind admitting I create zergs to shut them down and emote all sort of rude emotes I can come up with. Heroes? Skills? Are you kidding me? What about a big fat NO

you have contributed nothing to this debate besides complaining that 1vX'ers are hard to zerg down so you want to change the game entirely so you can kill and grief them because they are better players than you.
    PC NA 300 CP
    PS4 NA 1200+ CP
  • killimandrosb16_ESO
    killimandrosb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JXNwarrior wrote: »

you have contributed nothing to this debate besides complaining that 1vX'ers are hard to zerg down so you want to change the game entirely so you can kill and grief them because they are better players than you.

Tell me, just try to explain me what is so special about sprinting around inside or outside a resource tower until you die. 1vx' arent hard to zerg down. They die to any group of competent players in less than 1 minute of that group consists of more than 4 players. It does not proove anything about being skillful at PVP'ing. It shows how you can slime and sleaze your way around obstacles for as long as possible. Hell, its not even PVP, its like fkin olympic game simulator. Its a little bit BELOW horse-simulator in skill, which you play a bit already in cyrodiil. Only thing you got right is about kill and grief them. Yes, I proudly admit I will greaf all those hamsterwheel addicts until they stop waisint my ***-time and change the meta of cyrodiil into actual PvP'ing. I say YES to the removal of resource towers, make small camps instead, and ANY REAL skilful 1vx' wont have a problem with that. Its the bunch of clueless noobs and wannabe blobs/fasolds who need the walls as a crutch to support their weak and lack of any competence. Every now they ruin a couple of minutes of the life of a potato but most of all they annoy me the hell because they really THINK theyre actually good with that running. Same goes for all sorcs with a spring up their ass btw. Hope it breaks and you get diarrhea. And then they post those random "LOOK LOLZ I CAN RUN AROUND IN A FKIN TOWER FOR 5 MINUTES AND NONE OF THE POTATOES CAN MASH ME UNTIL I HAVE ENOUGH ULTI TO TURN AND ALMOST MASH THEM"-videos.
    Wanna know whats even more ***? Its when I get hate-whispers for killing them with snipe the way they deserve to die. "lol wtf maaan-snipe you fkin n00b, L2P FU etc." WHell I got news for you; You all totally deserve to be sniped to death 24/7 around that tower.

Rant over. Continue your e-peen rubbing. PvP? Theres nothing absolutely nothing a 1vx do compared to the skills of a good competent team in AvA. Thats why its fkin alliance versus alliance and not easter bunny racing.
    Edited by killimandrosb16_ESO on April 5, 2018 6:00PM
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And there i thought "serious" pvpers in mmos r ppl who rnt good enough for real pvp games. super impressive!
  • Ultimate_Overlord
    Ultimate_Overlord
    ✭✭✭
    @killimandrosb16_ESO God damn i wish i was this good at trolling.
  • JXNwarrior
    JXNwarrior
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree
    JXNwarrior wrote: »

Tell me, just try to explain me what is so special about sprinting around inside or outside a resource tower until you die. 1vx' arent hard to zerg down. They die to any group of competent players in less than 1 minute of that group consists of more than 4 players. It does not proove anything about being skillful at PVP'ing. It shows how you can slime and sleaze your way around obstacles for as long as possible. Hell, its not even PVP, its like fkin olympic game simulator. Its a little bit BELOW horse-simulator in skill, which you play a bit already in cyrodiil. Only thing you got right is about kill and grief them. Yes, I proudly admit I will greaf all those hamsterwheel addicts until they stop waisint my ***-time and change the meta of cyrodiil into actual PvP'ing. I say YES to the removal of resource towers, make small camps instead, and ANY REAL skilful 1vx' wont have a problem with that. Its the bunch of clueless noobs and wannabe blobs/fasolds who need the walls as a crutch to support their weak and lack of any competence. Every now they ruin a couple of minutes of the life of a potato but most of all they annoy me the hell because they really THINK theyre actually good with that running. Same goes for all sorcs with a spring up their ass btw. Hope it breaks and you get diarrhea. Rant over. Continue your e-peen rubbing. PvP? Theres nothing absolutely nothing beating the skills of a good competent team in AvA. Thats why its fkin alliance versus alliance and not easter bunny racing.

There are several existing comments, including my own from earlier, that explain people's opinions on the discussion so feel free to read them at your own convenience. What you are describing is not exclusively 1vX'ing specifically from my understanding but "kiting". Kiting is used by people who 1vX to help them string out zergs into manageable clumps of players that they can kill and move on (hence the 1vX). You mention Blobs and Fasold as skillful people who do this but in the same breath say that it does not exhibit any extra skill. Watch any 1vX videos from Blobs, Fasold, or anyone else and kiting will be a big part of why they can do it. That's because kiting helps mitigate the damage of 4 or 5 or 20 players into something manageable so they can go offensive and get kills, AKA 1vX. I would argue this takes skill because you need to know the terrain, how to traverse it properly, counter to snares/roots from a group, when to roll and block, and when to go offensive at opportune times to get kills. Just like you do in a 1v1 but on a larger scale because its essentially 1v1'ing multiple players in succession.

There are existing comments stating this argument earlier but I figure I would give you an example since you didn't reference any of them originally.

Plenty of comments regarding kiting here that you can feel free to weigh in on
    Edited by JXNwarrior on April 5, 2018 6:20PM
    PC NA 300 CP
    PS4 NA 1200+ CP
  • wozborne
    wozborne
    ✭✭✭
    Agree
    IAVITNI wrote: »
    geonsocal wrote: »
    now ya got me wondering wozborne - what got you thinking about this...

i'm not familiar with dueling, just fighting in cyrodiil - I actually though feel less bad about getting killed by someone if the are also killing a few other folks too...

although bombers look super cool when they take out a half dozen or so different players, seems a little less impressive though than someone who is able to dodge roll, block, shield, heal and burst their way through 2 or 3 different players...

I’ve been dueling a lot on my Magsorc lately. Usually I can hold my own pretty well and have decent fights even if I Get beat. But some players (typically Atrocity members) like SpadeV_2 and others just absolutely destroy me, like not even close. Those people honestly impress me way more then someone that kills me with a cheap Dizzying Swing>DB after they been running around a rock for minutes on end. Yes, I get outplayed by both, but in one fight I’m fully ready to fight and have no excuse, and in the other it’s more not being able to hit them and then they surprise me when I’m not expecting it. Anyways sorry for the long winded explanation, but that’s how I got thinking about it since you asked.

@wozborne

#1 point is that a duel or 1vx is only impressive in an open world build.

Second, a proper 1vx is really just a bunch of isolated duels, dividing and conquering. I've done some 1vxs vs players that would hold their own in a 1v1. Hell, I've even x'd on people that I've lost to on occasion 1v1. You can win a 1vx vs equally skilled players, hence the existence of "expose" videos. What it comes down to is accurately assessing the situation and reacting accordingly, all on top of the combat mechanics that you would require in a duel. Those 1vx clips where you see 1vx'ers dropping 2-3 bodies all at once are only posted in montages. Lookup Miamiheat or Malcolm on youtube if you want to see some legit MagSorc 1vx's/

I'd say the biggest difference between you and Atrocity members is that they know how to differentiate between offensive and defensive windows. I'm pretty sure I've run with Spade at one point, Spade knows how to 1vx/outnumber. I'm also pretty sure we're in the same guild and that I've x'd on you on my stamblade xD which isn't my main class.

If you'd like we can run a duo/duel and I can point out why you're getting creamed by Atrocity members as I'm a magsorc main. Keep in mind that those are part of the elite players, I personally can't consistently beat them but if I were to duel them they would be the long,boring fights that pretty much only end when someone (usually me) gets punished for a mistake.

I get understand your points, I’ve got great respect for Xers like Miami. I think in general most 1vXers are also amazing 1v1ers, I highly doubt there’s many that consistently beat someone like Miami in duels regardless of how often he actually duels. Also, You’re in Forbidden’s guild right? Yeah we should duel or 2vX in Cyro sometime. I main a Stamblade but I can’t 1v1 for crap on it so I’ve been trying Magsorc to broaden my horizons. I could definitely use some advice because right now I can’t do much but passively sheild stack and lay down burst when I think they’re low on resources.