The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Thanks for allowing Skyshards to be brought to other characters. Thread closed.

• Asha_11_ESO
    Asha_11_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No.

It's part of character progression and immersion, to go explore and collect your sky shards. It would be silly to create a new character and it has access to 143 skill points off the bat. Even if you gradually had access to them all, it's just laziness. Plus a seemingly harmless thing like making them account bound would have a greater effect - all those people that would've been out exploring the world, and making it feel more alive, now have one less reason to be out there.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Devlin69 wrote: »
    My first char took me about 3 years to get all the skyshards (429?). If I had to do it on all my other 11 toons I would log off and play something else.

This is one of the main reasons I groan at the thought of a new toon, lore books and skyshards.............

I dont even replay the content any more I just PvP my way to level 50 which makes things even worse as this leaves me short on skillpoints and lore books.

So YES DO IT ASAP

Then don't go collect all the lorebooks and skyshards. If it's not fun, don't do it.

So what you are saying is do not create another char? Because without skills it will be useless and to get skills I need skill points and for skill points I need skyshards.....

If that won't be fun for you, then yes, that is what I am saying.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • munster1404
    munster1404
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people still play ESO on consoles?
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not gonna read all the pages this has built into, but gonna add my opinion of: No.

Do the work, others have done it.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    seriously stop being cracked. YOU. DO. NO. NEED. THIS. its the character progression. thats it, stop making everything into casual.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So funny seeing people who use add ons talking about working for something. The day zos removes add ons from pc is the day many people will never touch an alt.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My first char took me about 3 years to get all the skyshards (429?). If I had to do it on all my other 11 toons I would log off and play something else.

This is one of the main reasons I groan at the thought of a new toon, lore books and skyshards.............

I dont even replay the content any more I just PvP my way to level 50 which makes things even worse as this leaves me short on skillpoints and lore books.

So YES DO IT ASAP

Then don't go collect all the lorebooks and skyshards. If it's not fun, don't do it.

So what you are saying is do not create another char? Because without skills it will be useless and to get skills I need skill points and for skill points I need skyshards.....
    You need to double back to earlier posts, showing how you can get more than a sufficient number of skill points without ever touching a single skyshard or doing a single quest.

Skyshards, especially if when you don't know the locations, are the least effective way of getting skillpoints.
    So funny seeing people who use add ons talking about working for something. The day zos removes add ons from pc is the day many people will never touch an alt.
    and unless Public Dungeons move around and levels don't provide skillpoints, then the above is just as valid on console as it is on PC.

After you've done it enough times, the locations pretty much become ingrained and if you haven't done it enough time for it to be, then I doubt you're in need of everything upfront anyway.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So YES DO IT ASAP

You need to double back to earlier posts, showing how you can get more than a sufficient number of skill points without ever touching a single skyshard or doing a single quest.

Skyshards, especially if when you don't know the locations, are the least effective way of getting skillpoints.
    and unless Public Dungeons move around and levels don't provide skillpoints, then the above is just as valid on console as it is on PC.

After you've done it enough times, the locations pretty much become ingrained and if you haven't done it enough time for it to be, then I doubt you're in need of everything upfront anyway.

Stick to the point. If someone is skyshard or lore book hunting it’s a pain to do it without add ons. It’s that simple. At the very least the locations should be on the map to collect after you’ve completed it.

The only way console players can even complete these tasks is because pc players have the luxury of add ons and can document their locations. Do you know how hard it would’ve been to complete lorebooks if eso was console only..

• mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with the OP. For me a character going out and hunting down skyshards is part of individual character development and - for me at least - was tied to the RP of my characters. My main for instance is a power hungry sorceress. She need to have knowledge of all the things and squeeze as much out of the mundus as she can. For her hunting all the shards was a must. To get her last one, she vamboozled AD into attacked Farragut (successfully. she didn't participate in the attack of course!), rushed in to grab the skyshard, dashed off, then went back to looting and pillaging. I have this great screen of me waiting on a boulder for the gate to open. It cracks me and my sister up every time we look at it.. LOL

My crafter on the other hand, only felt inclined to acquire enough shards to max her crafting skills, and some weapon skills so she could survive dangerous crafting locales. Other than that she had no interest in trouncing about Tamriel. She prefers the cushy inns of Alinor to swamp or dessert.

I dunno, also to me character development in MMOs SHOULD take time. That's part of the fun of any persistent world game for me. Once I reach the point where I'm hitting caps, I tend to get bored. I get cranky when there's too many easy buttons. =P

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crjs1 wrote: »
    I think as a character discovers skyshards they should be shown on the map account wide. Same with lorebooks and Wayshrines. Console here so no add ons.

Hunting skyshards on alts just is not fun, at least for me.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info128-SkyShards.html

It lists all skyshards for all expansions, DLCs, and Cyro and keeps track of what each character has collected or not.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tetrafy wrote: »
    As much as I love to re collect 1000 collectables it would be nice to only have to do this once per account. Nothing burns out new users more than a necessary grind to make other characters viable. Especially on console, we don't get addons. So even if the option was given to us that would be great, like a toggle on/off option. Suggestion from another member included a soft cap on skill points earned from skyshards for every 5 or ten levels until level 50 where the full amount is earned. And even a soft cap on the mages guildline for lorebooks. And with the most recent DLC this still is relevant. Perhaps give consoles the ability to use the skyshard addon? Give us something we spend thousands of hours and dollars on this game. Even some feedback would be alright.

I honestly don't see the issue, if you play the game instead of running a dungeon until 50 you will collect all shards by then. Hell it only took me a day to get EVERY ONE of them.. yes it's a pain but not end of the world. Lore books are the same since it's tied in to mages guild skill line.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Devlin69
    Devlin69
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you may call 'skyshard hunting ' character progression but I call it bloody boring. The point of a game is fun and for me this is not it.

I hate quests so I do not get to see hardly any lore books or skyshards. I play for Cyrodiil and battlegrounds and like I said before it leaves me short on skill points/skill lines.

I understand lots of you like it, but for me it sucks, I hate it.

Edit: Forgot to say I love crafting too and wish the crafted sets were more valuable to players, but that's another thread for another day.
    Edited by Devlin69 on December 9, 2018 8:49AM
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    Tetrafy wrote: »
    As much as I love to re collect 1000 collectables it would be nice to only have to do this once per account. Nothing burns out new users more than a necessary grind to make other characters viable. Especially on console, we don't get addons. So even if the option was given to us that would be great, like a toggle on/off option. Suggestion from another member included a soft cap on skill points earned from skyshards for every 5 or ten levels until level 50 where the full amount is earned. And even a soft cap on the mages guildline for lorebooks. And with the most recent DLC this still is relevant. Perhaps give consoles the ability to use the skyshard addon? Give us something we spend thousands of hours and dollars on this game. Even some feedback would be alright.

I honestly don't see the issue, if you play the game instead of running a dungeon until 50 you will collect all shards by then. Hell it only took me a day to get EVERY ONE of them.. yes it's a pain but not end of the world. Lore books are the same since it's tied in to mages guild skill line.

Lol the "I DID IT WHY CANT YOU ATTITUDE. LOOK AT ME I CAN SPEND ALL DAY FARMING THE SAME THING IVE DONE 5 TIMES ALREADY ALL CALL IT PROGRESSION. I FEEL SO GOOD ABOUT MY LIFE TODAY LOOK WHAT IVE ACCOMPLISHED."

just because this is how you like to play doesn't make it right, it makes it your way to play the game.

I would have no problem with doing everything on a new toon if it felt different. Quests never change so I spam text to go as fast as possible and never read anything because it doesn't matter if I'm a orc or a khajit the wording is exactly the same. There is no new animation for getting a skyshard no matter what toon your on. But yet I'm suppose to get into it on a new toon even though nothing has changed what so ever? Lol just because YOU enjoy that doesn't mean someone else does.

And no one even seems to have read OP correctly at all. Everyone thinks he said unlock everything at level 3. When he actually asked for something completely different. He asked for them to earn a little as you level up so when you hit 50 you have them because once you hit 50 you instantly jump to 810. So what's the difference from jumping to get skillpoints as well in that final jump?

He's not asking to get meteor at level 3. He is asking to slowly go up in mages guild then when you hit 50 you get meteor NOT BEFORE it. Again there is no problem with that. There is soooooooooo much content in this game. Why not allow people to play all that content instead of the grindy solo play?

DPS have long.que times maybe more people would play a tank or healer if they could just simply switch to their tank/healer. It would actually help group play if this was implimented which for most of the community seems to be what they want to do. Friends play this game to play with friends not to play alone lol. So this actually causes the reverse effect where people don't wanna do THE SAME thing they have done before and it actually leads to people wanting to play the game less and less. Then it hurts the entire game because less and less people play and then eventually a game dies when less and less play.

Stop being the server police and telling people how to play their game just because you like it. Again I only enjoy group content and I enjoy doing a quest line once because it isn't different any other time. If the devs made wording different.or interactions different for each race then your point is just, but until then it is the same exact thing lol. You might enjoy everything but not everyone does.

(And before you say I want them ect ect I got everything I need on all my toons. So I know the grind for alts and I understand people have lives outside the game. I would rather dungeon ques be faster because people aren't trying to do tedious boring things such as skyshards. Let's live up to the massive multiplayer aspect of this game instead of solo play)
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 29 characters on PC, been playing since launch and have never installed a single addon. Don't make assumptions!
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stop being the server police and telling people how to play their game just because you like it. Again I only enjoy group content and I enjoy doing a quest line once because it isn't different any other time. If the devs made wording different.or interactions different for each race then your point is just, but until then it is the same exact thing lol. You might enjoy everything but not everyone does.

The devs did add race specific dialogue. There are even threads on this forum discussing it. What are you talking about?

Examples:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/91524/another-npc-knew-what-race-i-was
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/351696/thank-you-for-adding-race-specific-dialogue
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/272639/npc-reactions-to-race
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So YES DO IT ASAP

Last time I checked there were over 400 skill points in the game. Less than 150 are available from skyshards. So there are plenty of alternative ways to go out and get them.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you may call 'skyshard hunting ' character progression but I call it bloody boring. The point of a game is fun and for me this is not it.

I hate quests so I do not get to see hardly any lore books or skyshards. I play for Cyrodiil and battlegrounds and like I said before it leaves me short on skill points/skill lines.

Edit: Forgot to say I love crafting too and wish the crafted sets were more valuable to players, but that's another thread for another day.

There is no requirement in this game that forces you to go get skyshards. Also ZOS designed skyshards so that people dont have to quest to get them. They are the easiest and fastest source for skill points and take about as much time to collect as it takes people to do the dolmen runs to 50. Just takes a 4 to 5 hours to get them all. So I fail to see why this is an issue for people. And before you tell Me that I am elitist etc. I have done the skyshard farm over 40 times on my primary account. It's part of rolling an alt.

It would be nice to have better native map options but that is as far they should go. There needs to be a time cost associated with rolling alts and unlocking skills, skill points are part of that cost.

I mean ZOS needs to keep people playing the game and they need to have reasons for people to travel to all of the zones in the game. And obtaining skyshards is one way to do that.

There are other ways for them to force people out into those unused zones. I mean we haven't seen a gear level Increase in several years. So be grateful that there is that. Also be grateful for the battle spirit and scaling that is present in this game. It makes rolling alts super easy as it is. So be grateful for what we have. And if you are bored with rolling alts then I wonder why are you doing it? What compels you to find the need?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no requirement in this game that forces you to go get skyshards. Also ZOS designed skyshards so that people dont have to quest to get them. They are the easiest and fastest source for skill points and take about as much time to collect as it takes people to do the dolmen runs to 50. Just takes a 4 to 5 hours to get them all. So I fail to see why this is an issue for people. And before you tell Me that I am elitist etc. I have done the skyshard farm over 40 times on my primary account. It's part of rolling an alt.

It would be nice to have better native map options but that is as far they should go. There needs to be a time cost associated with rolling alts and unlocking skills, skill points are part of that cost.

I mean ZOS needs to keep people playing the game and they need to have reasons for people to travel to all of the zones in the game. And obtaining skyshards is one way to do that.

There are other ways for them to force people out into those unused zones. I mean we haven't seen a gear level Increase in several years. So be grateful that there is that. Also be grateful for the battle spirit and scaling that is present in this game. It makes rolling alts super easy as it is. So be grateful for what we have. And if you are bored with rolling alts then I wonder why are you doing it? What compels you to find the need?

I've said pretty close to this in almost every thread that's up like this... which is dozens at this time... sadly, there is no understanding :disappointed:

The compromise is already in the game with shared CP and bank
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with this as long as you can't enter < 50 pvp. That would be like having CP enabled in < 50. It's just a selfish idea.

You want to enable your other characters progression on a new alt? Fine, but you can't use that progression to farm new players in PvP that don't have high level alts.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    I'm fine with this as long as you can't enter < 50 pvp. That would be like having CP enabled in < 50. It's just a selfish idea.

You want to enable your other characters progression on a new alt? Fine, but you can't use that progression to farm new players in PvP that don't have high level alts.

and thats our point of it - everything what is/would be account shared like cp, skyshards etc should be unlocked only at 50lvl char so this will be not usable on <50lvl pvp campaign and with it this should have worked even outside pvp but this dont so we have at 1lvl pve character with power creep with just cp

but unfortunately everyone against this dont understant this will have no impact on low lvl characters or others immersion as this would be locked to them + could be toggable :(
    Edited by Edziu on December 9, 2018 5:31PM
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why anyone would actually care if this was a toggle that enabled you to unlock what you have already unlocked when you hit CP.

As long as you are not forcing people that want to collect the individual items into accepting they can't do that anymore, who cares?

How are you affected in any way if someone collects all the things on their main account and that unlocks when they get their alts to 50?

FYI, it doesn't in any way shape or form. So to deny people something that doesn't affect you and is not going to be able to be used in an unfair match up, you have another agenda than what is being presented.

Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Odnoc
    Odnoc
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jameliel wrote: »
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    No.
    What is even the point of playing the game if you aren't even going to play the game?

Just get everything for free?

Spending days running around clicking on books and rocks isn't "playing" for me and many others. After doing it once, I have no desire to do it again. The boring grind is one reason I won't be playing much longer.

Nope, you can't have my stuff=)

Sounds like RPG's aren't for you. If you want instant end game, I suggest an FPS.
  • Odnoc
    Odnoc
    ✭✭✭✭

Character progression IS the point of an RPG. If you want instant end game, I'd recommend an FPS.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean heres an idea, give a map of skyshards and a tome of enlightenment at the global acheivement vendor, make it 1,000,000 gold each or something.

Don't want to spend the gold? Fine collect your things. Most people who are rerolling alts I think would be happy to drop a mil on unlocking tedious things.

Everyone wins,, ZOS gets another gold sink, players that want to skip the tedious grind they don't like, and those who love to explore with multiple characters are all fit as a fiddle.
  • Odnoc
    Odnoc
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why anyone would actually care if this was a toggle that enabled you to unlock what you have already unlocked when you hit CP.

As long as you are not forcing people that want to collect the individual items into accepting they can't do that anymore, who cares?

How are you affected in any way if someone collects all the things on their main account and that unlocks when they get their alts to 50?

FYI, it doesn't in any way shape or form. So to deny people something that doesn't affect you and is not going to be able to be used in an unfair match up, you have another agenda than what is being presented.

Oh, it doesn't? So if I put 50 hours of gameplay into collecting things, and someone else gets them for free, there is no difference there?

Yes, there is also another agenda, keeping an RPG an RPG where character progression is a thing. Want instant endgame where you don't need to progress, try an FPS, don't change an RPG to suit your need for instant gratification.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They wouldn't get them for free, they would have to collected them in the first place. Also, why is anything anyone else does relevant to you?

Are you the gatekeeper of RPG? Somehow, your time is the benchmark in which all players must adhere to?

You are missing the point that they would have had to collect everything already.

THEY

HAVE

TO

COLLECT

ALL

THE

THINGS

ALREADY

BEFORE

THEY

CAN

UNLOCK

FOR

ALTS.

This doesn't affect you, it may make you irrationally angry apparently, but thats on you
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I mean heres an idea, give a map of skyshards and a tome of enlightenment at the global acheivement vendor, make it 1,000,000 gold each or something.

Don't want to spend the gold? Fine collect your things. Most people who are rerolling alts I think would be happy to drop a mil on unlocking tedious things.

Everyone wins,, ZOS gets another gold sink, players that want to skip the tedious grind they don't like, and those who love to explore with multiple characters are all fit as a fiddle.

I can see it being a crown thing, per zone per character, not counting Cyrodiil and any DLC zones you do not have access to through either owning the DLC or being a current subscriber.

I absolutely cannot see ZOS implementing a 'pay' option for this where it's through gold rather than crowns. This is the very type of thing that could go in store as a "convenience" item: either pay crowns or do it the standard way in game ala horse training.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • bzz86
    bzz86
    ✭✭✭✭
    actually I think that sky shards and lore books account wide would be nice.... this would save me so much time ! :)

I would not mind achievements to be the same as the only char I can pvp is my nightblade and will never get any PvP achievements on other cars

If I would to choose just one it would have to be skyshards ! :)
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

I have 29 characters on PC, been playing since launch and have never installed a single addon. Don't make assumptions!

Don’t throw yourself into general statements that don’t include the word “all”.

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Don’t throw yourself into general statements that don’t include the word “all”.

Don't state what "many people" will do if you haven't asked them.
    Edited by Tandor on December 9, 2018 6:22PM