The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What's your main role? (Tank, Healer, or dps)

• Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    all 3

99% of the time prettyr poorly :'(
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    Tasear wrote: »
    commdt wrote: »
    Wow everyone is a tank. Its a good thing that there is 1 tank per 1 DD, now I can PUG as a DPS with my tank

Makes wonder about queue times then. Is there reasons why we don't see tanks as often.

Because so many tanks are still DPS snobs. They want a quick burn and not the joy of trying to carry 3 people 3 a dungeon they’re not quick ready for. At least that’s the consensus I get when arguing with other tanks.

I wouldn't call myself a DPS "snob," but I do expect people who queue for vet dungeons to have a rotation and be able to pull at least 20k DPS. 15k DPS at a BARE minimum. I'm not carrying light attack spammers through anything, because I often don't have a free hour to waste on a single dungeon... I don't think that's unreasonable.

No offense or anything, but that makes you exactly who I mean. I tank 90% of the time, I have a Stamplar, Stamblade, Stamsorc, Magden and Bowden, all 720 all with decent set but not nessessarily BiS with BiS traits but close. I can only pull over 20k on 2 of them. Personally, and hopefully its just me needing more practices, but really if having a rotation, gear, CP arent enough to get you the DPS people want, then thats exactly what I meant by choosing the word snob. And hey it's a game to have fun in so by all means if something isnt fun, like dragging the likes of my DPS through a dungeon, then go ahead and avoid that.

I said 15k at a bare minimum... which is actually pretty generous, considering that my dedicated dungeon tank pulls around 8-10k. If expecting a damage dealer to actually deal damage makes me a "snob," then so be it. I also play to have fun; it's not fun spending ten minutes on a boss as a tank, watching your teammates spamming Snipe and throwing in the occasional bow ultimate when you know that you could hop on your own damage dealer and burn that boss down in a fraction of the time. Any damage dealer who can't pull at least 15k DPS at a bare minimum should stick to normal dungeons until they've gained more experience. Simple. Normal dungeons are very forgiving and geared towards players who either want to breeze through with minimal effort, or those who still need to fine tune their builds/rotations in a safe environment.

If your tank does 8-10k DPS, that's a TRASH tank. Running selfish skills, selfish sets, and all the wrong specs. There is no way you take that tank into anything that's any kind of tanking challenge. No DSA, Trails, Skin runs. Then again, if spending 10 minutes on a boss bores you, then you behind the character aren't built to be a tank either. I'll run a vet Trial solo because that sh** entertains me.
    I may certainly be a Tank snob, though my willingness to also help out baby tanks kind of belays that. Also let me be clear, I'm not saying to change anything. I'm just saying, it sounds like you are the type of person I meant by my original comment. A lot of people who have a Tank, that they may even consider there main, are rather unwilling to PuG at all. Not just load up and vote people out, but to not even load solo at all. Or like you said, would rather hop on their DPS to help ensure the speed is up to par. There are very few who like me, enjoy loading into who knows what I trying force the Run to happen regardless of the group skill level.
    If top level players don't load in with low end players though, its just going to take longer for those people to learn. I for one can teach the mechanics. I can even teach what gear and skills, but as for the details of the DPS rotations, others are far far better at doing that.

"trash tanks" are the tanks who carry weak pugs.
    meta tanks don't have the survivability and damage to carry weak healers and dds.

meta tank can pull trash packs into one spot, buff party with warhorn, for them to hit the mob one by one with snipe, what good does that do?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To carry PuGs wile fully specced as trial tank or healer is indeed a futile activity. I've given up on that long time ago, after feeling poweless to help in way too many instances. My time is very precious, and I'd rather improve myself running training/progression trial runs with people that are at least as experienced as myself, preferably more so I can learn from them, than try to teach people who don't give a damn (most times I do try to explain I'm simply ignored, and some people even cursed me) mechanics in simple dungeons, for which guides have been available for 3-4 years now. It's simply not worth it. If I need to farm something I simply spec as DD, kill everything almost by myself, and if they don't stand or ritual and/or they don't block random boss/trash attacks it's 100% their fault; also it's their fault if they die to mechanics I have warned against in group chat - ex. people throwing their hardest hitting skills at Grobul in Darkshade 2 while he's up, and getting rekt though I wrote just before the fight "don't attack the boss while he's up, save your ultimates and cast when he drops". Why struggle as hybrid tank/DD with 10-15K DPS than nuke everything with 30K? Mobs and even bosses in normal dungeons are basically cap guns compared to those in vMA :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raj72616a wrote: »
    Wow everyone is a tank. Its a good thing that there is 1 tank per 1 DD, now I can PUG as a DPS with my tank

Makes wonder about queue times then. Is there reasons why we don't see tanks as often.

Because so many tanks are still DPS snobs. They want a quick burn and not the joy of trying to carry 3 people 3 a dungeon they’re not quick ready for. At least that’s the consensus I get when arguing with other tanks.

I wouldn't call myself a DPS "snob," but I do expect people who queue for vet dungeons to have a rotation and be able to pull at least 20k DPS. 15k DPS at a BARE minimum. I'm not carrying light attack spammers through anything, because I often don't have a free hour to waste on a single dungeon... I don't think that's unreasonable.

No offense or anything, but that makes you exactly who I mean. I tank 90% of the time, I have a Stamplar, Stamblade, Stamsorc, Magden and Bowden, all 720 all with decent set but not nessessarily BiS with BiS traits but close. I can only pull over 20k on 2 of them. Personally, and hopefully its just me needing more practices, but really if having a rotation, gear, CP arent enough to get you the DPS people want, then thats exactly what I meant by choosing the word snob. And hey it's a game to have fun in so by all means if something isnt fun, like dragging the likes of my DPS through a dungeon, then go ahead and avoid that.

I said 15k at a bare minimum... which is actually pretty generous, considering that my dedicated dungeon tank pulls around 8-10k. If expecting a damage dealer to actually deal damage makes me a "snob," then so be it. I also play to have fun; it's not fun spending ten minutes on a boss as a tank, watching your teammates spamming Snipe and throwing in the occasional bow ultimate when you know that you could hop on your own damage dealer and burn that boss down in a fraction of the time. Any damage dealer who can't pull at least 15k DPS at a bare minimum should stick to normal dungeons until they've gained more experience. Simple. Normal dungeons are very forgiving and geared towards players who either want to breeze through with minimal effort, or those who still need to fine tune their builds/rotations in a safe environment.

If your tank does 8-10k DPS, that's a TRASH tank. Running selfish skills, selfish sets, and all the wrong specs. There is no way you take that tank into anything that's any kind of tanking challenge. No DSA, Trails, Skin runs. Then again, if spending 10 minutes on a boss bores you, then you behind the character aren't built to be a tank either. I'll run a vet Trial solo because that sh** entertains me.
    I may certainly be a Tank snob, though my willingness to also help out baby tanks kind of belays that. Also let me be clear, I'm not saying to change anything. I'm just saying, it sounds like you are the type of person I meant by my original comment. A lot of people who have a Tank, that they may even consider there main, are rather unwilling to PuG at all. Not just load up and vote people out, but to not even load solo at all. Or like you said, would rather hop on their DPS to help ensure the speed is up to par. There are very few who like me, enjoy loading into who knows what I trying force the Run to happen regardless of the group skill level.
    If top level players don't load in with low end players though, its just going to take longer for those people to learn. I for one can teach the mechanics. I can even teach what gear and skills, but as for the details of the DPS rotations, others are far far better at doing that.

"trash tanks" are the tanks who carry weak pugs.
    meta tanks don't have the survivability and damage to carry weak healers and dds.

meta tank can pull trash packs into one spot, buff party with warhorn, for them to hit the mob one by one with snipe, what good does that do?

Yet, you just talked about your DPS? Sure sounds to me like you're version of meta tank, can't survive vSO Off-Tanking, Saint Olms if the group healer goes down. Axes, if the healer goes down. How does your less then optimal survivavlity tank handle Faulk HM, BR HM.
    Sure, every End Game tank is giving up survivablity for group buffs, but 8-10k DPS isnt running Ebon/Alkosh, and CCs that's running DPS sets, and DPS skills.

Yeah, War Horn is worthless in a bad group, but then in a bad group, you're likely dropping what ever is your other Ulti.

Still doesn't change my point. Many Tanks wont PuG because they're afraid of the slow burn.
    Edited by Maura_Neysa on March 22, 2018 12:30PM
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8-10k dps tank is another guy, i do 15-20k dps when i tank pug dungeon.
    and one does not pug vAS vBRF vFH etc.
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raj72616a wrote: »
    8-10k dps tank is another guy, i do 15-20k dps when i tank pug dungeon.
    and one does not pug vAS vBRF vFH etc.

My apologizes then. (Edit: Previous post adjusted)
    And I do PuG all three of those, even HM for the 4 man. (Edit: Provided the rest of the run gave me hope.)
    Edited by Maura_Neysa on March 22, 2018 12:31PM
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

• Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play all, and with much love
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I´ve been a Sorc healer for 4 years now. I quieu as tank and healer, but have to tank most of the times.

With almost all chars, I´m a healer-tank, though, because I always play heavy armor healers in Fantasy Games, and because it´s the easiest way to equip and level alts using the group finder for dungeons.

Edited by Thraben on March 22, 2018 1:08PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems it's not as in balanced as in gamem. Biggest issue is tanks not queuing.
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the conclusion I am coming too.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what can done? More rewards? Daily random items are getting stale. Maybe ways they can support weak groupsbso this fear doesn't exist.
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what can done? More rewards? Daily random items are getting stale. Maybe ways they can support weak groupsbso this fear doesn't exist.

Personally I think its just revealing the difference between playing a tank and being a Tank. When you have the mentality of enjoying the challenge of NOT dyeing no matter the odds.
    Also potentially its just revealing the ratio of tanks/healers/DPS in-game verse on the Forums. If for example the ratio of DPS total verse DPS spending time on the Forums is low. While the ratio of total Tanks vs Tanks who spend time on the Forums is high than the poll results are bias.

After all the ease of which tanks get "Exposed" leads to more active information gathering
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the bottom line:

The vast majority of players want to play damage dealers. You always have 2 damage dealers in a 4 man dungeon (50% of the group) and 8 damage dealers (sometimes more) in a 12 man trial (66% of the group). Damage dealers are more common as a result of the group requirements, but also because everyone and their mother wants to pewpewpew all day long. Psychologically, a majority of gamers are attracted to big shiny numbers that inflate their self esteem.

Tanking and healing are thankless jobs. The DPS will rarely, if ever, tell you you're doing a good job at either of those roles, but they'll sure as hell blame you in a microsecond if you screw up and get one of them killed, temporarily halting their big shiny damage number epeens.

Healing doesnt usually put you so much at the center of attention, you're only noticed if someone dies or needs resources that you arent providing quickly enough. Tanking, on the other hand, puts you front and center stage of the action, and requires you to do a lot of things at once, without error; you have to make sure the big enemies arent hitting your allies, you have to make sure enemies with conal aoe attacks are faced away from the group, you have to make sure you're providing buffs and debuffs to your group and the enemies respectively in order to make those shiny epeens swell even more, and you're expected to pull all of this off while idiot Damage dealers charge ahead, leaving you without stamina as you sprint to keep up, unable to taunt or block, and struggling to grab back all the aggro they just stole by barrel rolling into the mob of enemies blasting away with every keybinding they can roll their faces across.

For these reasons, the majority of "good" tanks and healers stick to running with their guilds or friends - people they know are going to do things properly, work with them, and not take them for granted. "Good" tanks and healers are few in number, especially compared to the droves of overeager damage dealers.

So, when it comes to group finder, it's not that there arent tanks, it's that the tanks arent wanting to deal with pugs full of people like those described above. Personally, I set up my "pug" tank characters to deal as much damage and be as self-sufficient as possible in order to make those daily dungeon runs bearable. My trials tanks are of a different breed, of course, and only run with guild members.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

Here's the bottom line:

The vast majority of players want to play damage dealers. You always have 2 damage dealers in a 4 man dungeon (50% of the group) and 8 damage dealers (sometimes more) in a 12 man trial (66% of the group). Damage dealers are more common as a result of the group requirements, but also because everyone and their mother wants to pewpewpew all day long. Psychologically, a majority of gamers are attracted to big shiny numbers that inflate their self esteem.

Tanking and healing are thankless jobs. The DPS will rarely, if ever, tell you you're doing a good job at either of those roles, but they'll sure as hell blame you in a microsecond if you screw up and get one of them killed, temporarily halting their big shiny damage number epeens.

Healing doesnt usually put you so much at the center of attention, you're only noticed if someone dies or needs resources that you arent providing quickly enough. Tanking, on the other hand, puts you front and center stage of the action, and requires you to do a lot of things at once, without error; you have to make sure the big enemies arent hitting your allies, you have to make sure enemies with conal aoe attacks are faced away from the group, you have to make sure you're providing buffs and debuffs to your group and the enemies respectively in order to make those shiny epeens swell even more, and you're expected to pull all of this off while idiot Damage dealers charge ahead, leaving you without stamina as you sprint to keep up, unable to taunt or block, and struggling to grab back all the aggro they just stole by barrel rolling into the mob of enemies blasting away with every keybinding they can roll their faces across.

For these reasons, the majority of "good" tanks and healers stick to running with their guilds or friends - people they know are going to do things properly, work with them, and not take them for granted. "Good" tanks and healers are few in number, especially compared to the droves of overeager damage dealers.

So, when it comes to group finder, it's not that there arent tanks, it's that the tanks arent wanting to deal with pugs full of people like those described above. Personally, I set up my "pug" tank characters to deal as much damage and be as self-sufficient as possible in order to make those daily dungeon runs bearable. My trials tanks are of a different breed, of course, and only run with guild members.

You might want to take a look at the Poll you are commenting on before launching into... into this

What's your main role? (Tank, Healer, or dps) 110 votes
    Tank
    28% 31 votes
    Healer
    26% 29 votes
    Dps
    45% 50 votes

By the way when she and I made those comments, Tanks still had more votes

Yes there 50%(4-Man)-74%(1 Tank, 2 Healers, 9 DPS) greater need for DPS roles, yet the (current) poll results only show 45%. So in all actuality, the poll results are most definitely showing that things aren't as imbalanced.
    It is however showing one of two things
    - Tanks are actually big babies who don't want to have to try and survive at all cost.
    - the percentage of tanks on the forums are massively higher then the number of DPS active on the forums.

I mean its nice having mobs die in under one rotation while questing. But never dying is a far bigger ego boost. Its one of the reason I run so survival based. Plus I don't need thanked while you all are dead around me and I'm tanking and rezing to pull the run out of the gutter.
    My point is that you are describing yourself as exactly my point between playing a tank and being a tank. I run PuGs and hope for that portal when I load in because a crap show is the only thing that makes easy Dungeons fun, and its oh so satisfying pulling that 4 hour Faulkreath to the finish. You call it bearable, I call THAT a blast. My first vAS completion, was PuG tanking, all most all of my vTrials runs are PuG. Yeah not completing them sucks, but getting 10 people there fist completion is SOOO frigging rewarding.
    Edited by Maura_Neysa on March 23, 2018 11:25AM
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe dungeons with 4 dps 1 tank and 1 healer. Then we wouldn't have to worry as much for bad dps or such?
    Edited by Tasear on March 23, 2018 5:06AM
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe dungeons with 4 dps 1 tank and 1 healer. Then we wouldn't have to worry as much for bad dps or such?

Have to make them a lot more difficult then. Non-DLC is already boring for many at CP cap
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Started out as DPS, got tired of 20 minute queues, put resto staff on back bar, now i have 20 second queues. I still dps, just fire off a HoT or two first.Its great especially when i let DPS die because they refuse to let the tank pull or even get close to the mobs. Then listen to them emo rage about how im a bad healer... Im not a bad healer, i just didnt feel like healing you. Ahhhh good times. >:)
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the bottom line:

You might want to take a look at the Poll you are commenting on before launching into... into this

Tank
    28% 31 votes
    Healer
    26% 29 votes
    Dps
    45% 50 votes

Yes there 50%(4-Man)-74%(1 Tank, 2 Healers, 9 DPS) greater need for DPS roles, yet the (current) poll results only show 45%. So in all actuality, the poll results are most definitely showing that things aren't as imbalanced.
    - Tanks are actually big babies who don't want to have to try and survive at all cost.
    - the percentage of tanks on the forums are massively higher then the number of DPS active on the forums.

I mean its nice having mobs die in under one rotation while questing. But never dying is a far bigger ego boost. Its one of the reason I run so survival based. Plus I don't need thanked while you all are dead around me and I'm tanking and rezing to pull the run out of the gutter.
    My point is that you are describing yourself as exactly my point between playing a tank and being a tank. I run PuGs and hope for that portal when I load in because a crap show is the only thing that makes easy Dungeons fun, and its oh so satisfying pulling that 4 hour Faulkreath to the finish. You call it bearable, I call THAT a blast. My first vAS completion, was PuG tanking, all most all of my vTrials runs are PuG. Yeah not completing them sucks, but getting 10 people there fist completion is SOOO frigging rewarding.

The poll has barely more than 100 votes, and is indicative only of users that frequent the forums, not the actual ingame player base.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the bottom line:

Tank
    28% 31 votes
    Healer
    26% 29 votes
    Dps
    45% 50 votes

The poll has barely more than 100 votes, and is indicative only of users that frequent the forums, not the actual ingame player base.

30 is good sample size to form stats, but still issue is what if these people who main tanks are having good enough quality of life to play them as often. Yes notice I ask what people main role is this time instead of usually what would you want to play. I had wondered if different results would occur.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

L2Read, @Maura_Neysa. I don't run vDSA or vet trail...er, trials with my tank. It's a tank dedicated to running vet DUNGEONS. Bringing a vet trials or vDSA tank that does 5k DPS to something like vCoH is just effing stupid. I should probably build for even MORE DPS on my dungeon tank, to be honest. Also, it's not a selfish build at all -- I'm running Ebon to account for the usual idiot PUG damage dealers who forget and/or refuse to eat food. I'm chaining/stacking adds and buffing the group with shields constantly, because they stand in red and usually need those shields. I have Warhorn on my back bar for the rare groups that do decent DPS and will therefore actually benefit from Warhorn. When I run vet DLC dungeons with friends (because god knows I'm not going to attempt tanking vet DLCs with the usual Activity Finder Specials), then -- and only then -- do I bother running a more traditional tank build.

My point after your attempt to derail by bashing my tank stands: any damage dealer who can't pull at least 15k DPS should stick to normal dungeons.

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

L2Read, @Maura_Neysa. I don't run vDSA or vet trail...er, trials with my tank. It's a tank dedicated to running vet DUNGEONS. Bringing a vet trials or vDSA tank that does 5k DPS to something like vCoH is just effing stupid. I should probably build for even MORE DPS on my dungeon tank, to be honest. Also, it's not a selfish build at all -- I'm running Ebon to account for the usual idiot PUG damage dealers who forget and/or refuse to eat food. I'm chaining/stacking adds and buffing the group with shields constantly, because they stand in red and usually need those shields. I have Warhorn on my back bar for the rare groups that do decent DPS and will therefore actually benefit from Warhorn. When I run vet DLC dungeons with friends (because god knows I'm not going to attempt tanking vet DLCs with the usual Activity Finder Specials), then -- and only then -- do I bother running a more traditional tank build.

My point after your attempt to derail by bashing my tank stands: any damage dealer who can't pull at least 15k DPS should stick to normal dungeons.

I remember when it was more common for tanks to do dps with a bow it some be standards to balance out group dps I random dungeons. I would assume these kind of tanks have better times in dungeons.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when it was more common for tanks to do dps with a bow it some be standards to balance out group dps I random dungeons. I would assume these kind of tanks have better times in dungeons.

Yeah, I'm probably going to throw a bow on my Imperial PVP Stamplar while she's tanking briefly for those last 2 points of Undaunted. My 1H+S/2H isn't cutting it where damage is concerned. :/ My Argonian mDK tank that's pure PVE (the tank I'm referring to in this thread) runs a lightning staff backbar for blockade/off-balance, and for easy magicka regen (so I can spam all my NON-SELFISH tanking utility skills while also doing a bit of DPS).

I weep a little when I'm on my healer or damage dealer and see tanks rocking dual 1H+S trial builds in base game vet dungeons. Trial tanking builds are completely unnecessary for base game dungeons.

• Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I read alright and you just confirmed it. You run a fake tank outside of trials (a good one it sounds like) but still just a tanky DPS.
    Apparently you didn't read the whole part about playing a tank vs being a tank. l PuG vDLC all the time because thats a blast. Everything melting arnound me is BORRRRING. 12 Atronochs on Bloody Horn in Faulkreath, THATS a blast. Oh and I back bar a Frost Staff all the time, nCoH to vHoF. Lighting Wall has a 2% Off-Balance proc chance, worthless especially now with Bones changes. With 3 Frost skills at 2%, 15%, and 30% then I have 100% uptime on Chilled and nearly that on roots.

My point also stands a good portion of tanks out there are PuG chickens. Which explains the Fake Tank persistent problem, it isnt lack of thanks to que, its that said tank dont que on their tanks. Considering, you need to run vet to get your Monsters Helms and purple jewelry to get your DPS up, then "sticking to nomals" is ***. Especially since you only need over 20k for DLC. So my "DPS Snob" remark appears to be validated. Own what you run, its only a game after all. If you don't enjoy 3 Amalgamations for 20 minutes while manning the Blood Fountain then by all means avoid it. After all that just means I have a better chance of landing in that run!
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I read alright and you just confirmed it. You run a fake tank outside of trials (a good one it sounds like) but still just a tanky DPS.
    Apparently you didn't read the whole part about playing a tank vs being a tank. l PuG vDLC all the time because thats a blast. Everything melting arnound me is BORRRRING. 12 Atronochs on Bloody Horn in Faulkreath, THATS a blast. Oh and I back bar a Frost Staff all the time, nCoH to vHoF. Lighting Wall has a 2% Off-Balance proc chance, worthless especially now with Bones changes. With 3 Frost skills at 2%, 15%, and 30% then I have 100% uptime on Chilled and nearly that on roots.

My point also stands a good portion of tanks out there are PuG chickens. Which explains the Fake Tank persistent problem, it isnt lack of thanks to que, its that said tank dont que on their tanks. Considering, you need to run vet to get your Monsters Helms and purple jewelry to get your DPS up, then "sticking to nomals" is ***. Especially since you only need over 20k for DLC. So my "DPS Snob" remark appears to be validated. Own what you run, its only a game after all. If you don't enjoy 3 Amalgamations for 20 minutes while manning the Blood Fountain then by all means avoid it. After all that just means I have a better chance of landing in that run!

LOL, it's not a "fake" tank, @Maura_Neysa. ;) A fake tank is a character with zero survivability, no taunts, and no CC. A fake tank is a pure DPS character that queued as tank to skip the line. My DK runs with talons, chains, shields, and does not die to anything (i.e. it's a tank). The fact that I do a little DPS as well is because I'm adapting my game play to the content. You do not need to run a trials build to tank a vet dungeon and are in fact much better off not running a trials build. Same goes for healers. Why on EARTH does anyone need a full trials healer for a four man base game vet dungeon?

Also, "being" a tank and "playing" a tank has nothing to do with one's tolerance for poor DPS. I've played MMOs for more than ten years and have always mained healers. In ESO, I thoroughly enjoy fulfilling all three roles. I'm a tank, I'm a damage dealer, and I'm a healer -- whether your personal criteria for "being" a tank applies to me or not. You're in the minority here if you enjoy tanking a boss for ages while the crappy damage dealers around you hurl the equivalent of pool noodles at it. The vast majority of the tanks I know in this game don't enjoy running vet dungeons with damage dealers who can't even manage 15k, let alone 20k.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healer and sometimes I have to dps and tank too.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a tricky one for me to answer: I've run far more dungeons as tank than anything else, but of dungeons I've run recently, it's been mostly healer as sorcerer. And for recent group content, that's been more normal trials with one of my guilds than dungeons, so mostly dps since there's a couple of the officers that have started wanting to tank all of them. I haven't been running dungeons as much recently.

I weep a little when I'm on my healer or damage dealer and see tanks rocking dual 1H+S trial builds in base game vet dungeons. Trial tanking builds are completely unnecessary for base game dungeons.

Hmm. I did this, but a) because I want to get used to how it plays, and b) I can get in at least a couple of decent DOT skills on my back bar still running 1H+S (Caltrops, which I mostly have there anyways for pack pulls, and Venomous Claw). Putting more damage skills on that bar means giving up either a CC skill, ranged taunt, or an Earthen Heart skill (on there for block stamina regen via Helping Hands). I will grant you I don't always need all of those things but since I mostly PUG when I do dungeons, it's hard to know which one of those you will or won't need.

• srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve done all 3, but I tend to prefer dps.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I duo it's usually a DPS/off-healer role, commonly on a sorcerer. The main exception to that is the 11 dungeons I've duoed so far on my stamblade.

Via group finder it's almost always healer, on any of the five classes, but especially templar.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve done all 3, but I tend to prefer dps.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heankps is how I roll
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)