The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What's your main role? (Tank, Healer, or dps)

Tasear
Tasear
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
What role do you usually find yourself in dungeons?
Edited by Tasear on March 20, 2018 6:33AM

What's your main role? (Tank, Healer, or dps) 148 votes

Tank
25% 37 votes
Healer
27% 40 votes
Dps
47% 71 votes
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Healer by a lot. I have 77 days on my main, a templar healer, out of 150 in game days, for all ten toons I currently have.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to be tank most of the time i played in group dungeons ar trials. To even get optimised for that role in hm trials, i also leveled a new dk tank with a different race, since breton is not the best choice there.
    I recently started dpsing with my main, a magplar, since i liked to get some achievements done in triald with him. I also joined a new guild for that reason. We made it through vAS HM and i am very happy to accomplished this with my main. Still i struggle with the squishiness as dd....
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade DPS.

I used to main a Nightblade tank but stopped back around the time CP came into the game because DK did it better and I just wasn't enjoying the build as much any more.
    It was also quote frustrating being a PvP player and switching builds constantly on that character.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Nightblade DPS.

I used to main a Nightblade tank but stopped back around the time CP came into the game because DK did it better and I just wasn't enjoying the build as much any more.
    It was also quote frustrating being a PvP player and switching builds constantly on that character.

What changed with nightblade tank?
  • YamiKuruku
    YamiKuruku
    ✭✭✭✭
    damn xD wanted to vote healer
    but i guess that is okay too, i love playing as a tank or healer
    -{ PC EU }-
    CP 810+
    x Khazadaar > lvl50 EP | Khajiit magblade | Main&Master Crafter | Bloodletter
    x Mazayee-Kajthux > lvl 50 EP | Argonian Warden Healer | Godslayer
    x Margaux the Undying > lvl50 DC | Breton Templar Healer | Tick-Tock Tormentor
    x Fendryn Olms >lvl 50 EP | Dunmer Necro Healer | Gryphon Heart
    xCassius Pavo > lvl50 EP | Imperial Necrotank | Bringer of Light
    x Haj Xal >lvl50 EP | Argonian Healblade | Immortal Redeemer
    x Caessia>lvl 50EP | Imperial Warden Tank | Bringer of Light
    x Andre Valere >lvl 50 AD | Breton SorcTank | Gryphon Heart
    x S'zhan'ir >lvl 50 EP | Khajiit StamDen| Alpha Predator
    x Ri'zaad Sajhan >lvl 50 EP | Khajiit DKTank | extinguisher of flames
    x Mi'ra-Do>lvl 50EP | Khajiit magPlar | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    x Minwe Elsinor>lvl 50EP | Altmer MagDen | Dovahkriid
    x Velen Dres > lvl50 EP | Dunmer Magcro | Voice of Reason
    x Perathea > lvl50 AD | Argonian MagDK
    x Myvth >lvl 50 EP | Dunmer StamDK | Plague of Peryite
    x Nephaal Telvanni > lvl50 EP | dunmer MagSorc | Voice of Reason
    x Ko'haana > lvl50 AD | Khajiit Magsorc
    x Zasha gra-Lashk > lvl50 EP | Orc Stamcro
    xCassius Pavo > lvl50 EP | Imperial Necrotank | Bringer of Light
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YamiKuruku wrote: »
    damn xD wanted to vote healer
    but i guess that is okay too, i love playing as a tank or healer

What makes you enjoy them?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Nightblade DPS.

I think it was about the time they stopped stamina regen whilst blocking. Whilst the mechanic itself wasn't the issue I just couldn't be bothered to go get all the new sets which were needed.
    As well as not being able to do content like Maelstrom with my main character, as mentioned I was annoyed with trying to switch between tank in PvE and more damage focused PvP builds. It just seemed easier to go DD.

I do have a DK tank now though, I just haven't got off my butt to get him good gear yet.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade DPS.

Leeching Stricks used to have a chance to prod on all attacks, not just light and heavy. This gave a lot better stamina return while blocking. I’m sure there is more too, as NB have gone through a lot of changes, but that one is probably the one single one that broke them at the high level content. Google Kena PK NB tank. He was a PvPer, but NB was his specialty. Again I’m sure there is more, just I started a little to late for it.

They do still make very good DPS tanks at the 4 man level, but I’ve seen more Sorc Tanks in trials than NB and Sorc is the rarest Tank Class. Was even a poll on the forums here with in the last month supporting that statement.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played tank almost exclusively for the first 1.5 years, then also expended into melee DD role on my stamina DK. In the mean time I've matured 4 other characters, including a magicka Templar. Right now I'm retracing my progression on her, done the Craglorn HMs and going into vMoL. Not having a "main" character but several, with multiple setups for different roles, does alleviate boredom for long term players.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My "main" is a DPS, but I wouldn't consider it my main role, as I enjoy all three roles equally. I'm still relatively new to tanking in ESO, and didn't like it much at first...but that was because I was using trial meta builds. :) I now run a mDK with Ebon/Seducer/Grothdarr (1H+S/Lightning), and it's super fun.
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow everyone is a tank. Its a good thing that there is 1 tank per 1 DD, now I can PUG as a DPS with my tank
    Rawr
  • Aeph
    Aeph
    ✭✭✭
    My main is a DD, but i'm really enjoying healing a lot recently, I find reacting to the situation a little more engaging than repeating the same rotation over and over.

The poll is interesting though, tanks always seem to be the last space filled when trying to form a group. On Xbox that is, maybe more casual console players opt for damage cause it seems fun, whereas more PC players are used to traditional MMORPG roles?
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    commdt wrote: »
    Wow everyone is a tank. Its a good thing that there is 1 tank per 1 DD, now I can PUG as a DPS with my tank

Makes wonder about queue times then. Is there reasons why we don't see tanks as often.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I started playing ESO right after console launch, I initially mained a magplar because of its playstyle of damage and heals. As a result I became a healer, which was a role type I could never get into in other games. To me, it sorta gave me an almost perfect balance between wanting to do viable damage and keeping my team alive.

I stayed a healer for almost 2 years. Then my group of friends dwindled and pugging as a healer was getting tedious, so I went back to a DPS role. Nowadays I mostly play solo, so I now just play DPS.
    Edited by Cadbury on March 20, 2018 11:34AM
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes wonder about queue times then. Is there reasons why we don't see tanks as often.

Because so many tanks are still DPS snobs. They want a quick burn and not the joy of trying to carry 3 people 3 a dungeon they’re not quick ready for. At least that’s the consensus I get when arguing with other tanks.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because so many tanks are still DPS snobs. They want a quick burn and not the joy of trying to carry 3 people 3 a dungeon they’re not quick ready for. At least that’s the consensus I get when arguing with other tanks.

I wouldn't call myself a DPS "snob," but I do expect people who queue for vet dungeons to have a rotation and be able to pull at least 20k DPS. 15k DPS at a BARE minimum. I'm not carrying light attack spammers through anything, because I often don't have a free hour to waste on a single dungeon... I don't think that's unreasonable.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I queue as a "tank" (in fact my DD setup with Inner Rage equipped) with randoms I only do it in order to farm gear, and that's either normal dungeons, or easy veteran ones if I happen to need jewelry as well. Rarely do I find people that reduce my share of the group DPS to 45% or less, most times is 60-65% and I've seen it peak at 85% with real crappy ones. That says a lot about what would happen if a true tank would queue for those. Frankly I don't have the patience to spend 20 minutes in a dungeon that shouldn't take more than 10, considering how many times I need to run it until I get the right piece. I'm hunting my 2nd Automaton dagger, and gotten mostly staves and bows. Add that RNG crap on top of bad DPS and you have the proper combo to stop me playing.
    Edited by Asardes on March 20, 2018 3:25PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the d33ps.
    Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
    Thoronir Rolston- Breton petsorc: Stormproof
    Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:
    Justinius Maximus Decimus- Altmer magblade
    Agronak gro'Mashul- Orc DK Tank
    Valerya Hawkcroft- Breton healer
    Zaaka- Imperial stamDK/crafter

✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As somebody with 3 ranged DPS toons who can all pull 35k+ I feel like I'm more in demand for vet trials than any other role. Might just be my trial guilds though.
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

I wouldn't call myself a DPS "snob," but I do expect people who queue for vet dungeons to have a rotation and be able to pull at least 20k DPS. 15k DPS at a BARE minimum. I'm not carrying light attack spammers through anything, because I often don't have a free hour to waste on a single dungeon... I don't think that's unreasonable.

No offense or anything, but that makes you exactly who I mean. I tank 90% of the time, I have a Stamplar, Stamblade, Stamsorc, Magden and Bowden, all 720 all with decent set but not nessessarily BiS with BiS traits but close. I can only pull over 20k on 2 of them. Personally, and hopefully its just me needing more practices, but really if having a rotation, gear, CP arent enough to get you the DPS people want, then thats exactly what I meant by choosing the word snob. And hey it's a game to have fun in so by all means if something isnt fun, like dragging the likes of my DPS through a dungeon, then go ahead and avoid that.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No offense or anything, but that makes you exactly who I mean. I tank 90% of the time, I have a Stamplar, Stamblade, Stamsorc, Magden and Bowden, all 720 all with decent set but not nessessarily BiS with BiS traits but close. I can only pull over 20k on 2 of them. Personally, and hopefully its just me needing more practices, but really if having a rotation, gear, CP arent enough to get you the DPS people want, then thats exactly what I meant by choosing the word snob. And hey it's a game to have fun in so by all means if something isnt fun, like dragging the likes of my DPS through a dungeon, then go ahead and avoid that.

I said 15k at a bare minimum... which is actually pretty generous, considering that my dedicated dungeon tank pulls around 8-10k. If expecting a damage dealer to actually deal damage makes me a "snob," then so be it. I also play to have fun; it's not fun spending ten minutes on a boss as a tank, watching your teammates spamming Snipe and throwing in the occasional bow ultimate when you know that you could hop on your own damage dealer and burn that boss down in a fraction of the time. Any damage dealer who can't pull at least 15k DPS at a bare minimum should stick to normal dungeons until they've gained more experience. Simple. Normal dungeons are very forgiving and geared towards players who either want to breeze through with minimal effort, or those who still need to fine tune their builds/rotations in a safe environment.
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started off as a healer. Still dig the play style, but then I discovered tanking. Have a great Templar healer and a wicked magsorc (no pets!) that haven’t been touched since I started up my tank. I was super stoked that I wouldn’t have to deal with fake tanks in pugs anymore. Now if I could only get queues with heals..,,
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think.... have been the tank for my raid guild more often nowadays but MagSorc was my first character :tongue:
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer to dps. I don't need to focus on multiple people, just killing things while understanding mechanics. I've been playing mainly magsorc, magplar, and magden dps. The magden is a little tricky cuz it's not the best dps, but the utilities it offers the group is really awesome.
    Edited by WuffyCerulei on March 21, 2018 8:13AM
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Kevin_of_Devinshire
    My main in a crafter, haha
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I play a mdk so I guess none?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I said 15k at a bare minimum... which is actually pretty generous, considering that my dedicated dungeon tank pulls around 8-10k. If expecting a damage dealer to actually deal damage makes me a "snob," then so be it. I also play to have fun; it's not fun spending ten minutes on a boss as a tank, watching your teammates spamming Snipe and throwing in the occasional bow ultimate when you know that you could hop on your own damage dealer and burn that boss down in a fraction of the time. Any damage dealer who can't pull at least 15k DPS at a bare minimum should stick to normal dungeons until they've gained more experience. Simple. Normal dungeons are very forgiving and geared towards players who either want to breeze through with minimal effort, or those who still need to fine tune their builds/rotations in a safe environment.

I'm not very optimistic regarding the Bow/Bow stamina Warden, and the magicka ones, the former due to the paucity of good DPS skills that synergize with bow, the latter due to weak AoE DoTs - Winter's Revenge is underpowered, so their DPS will always be much lower than other setups. If someone can break 25K on those they'll be probably pulling 30K on the sorcerer and 35K on the Nightblade; really skilled players can add 8-10K on top of that for every class, but the gap won't close. I also tried Stamina Warden both with bear and without and the damage is so much lower than the stamina DK, and sustain is a real problem with an additional cast in rotation. And that's with 3-4 heavy attacks on the front bar, 5p Vicious Ophidian and Dubious Camoran Throne, and still struggling at the 6M dummy. Most skills have clunky animations that are hard to weave with. The only up side is the burst in PvP is still nice, and that holds true to an extent in vMA - the simplified rotation is pretty sustainable, more so with mobs dying frequently to proc VO and restore stamina. I've had no problem beating in on Warden on 1st attempt with about 420K score although I hadn't played it in months before that.

As tank though that char is pretty good, and I would even bring her in veteran trials, but as melee DD in trials every other class can bring much higher DPS and unique utility: Minor Brutality from the DK, Minor Savagery from the NB, Minor Breach and Fracture from the Templar, and Sorcerer can extend NMG debuff further than any other class thanks to Hurricane; the Warden only brings Major Breach and Fracture with Subterranean Assault, but those are applied by the Tank anyway and AoE Major Fracture by the Stamina DK. You could argue that Warden w bear may work well with War Machine, but NB and Templar will make use of that even better, with no mechanics related issues. Also the group utility skills and passives from Warden are better for tanking: Ice Fortress buffs resistances to your whole group, and other skills heal them in various ways - Leeching Vines apply Minor Lifesteal that saves one of the healers a slot for Siphon Spirit, and also heal the lowest health player in your group. Also Shimmering Shield is very good for generating ultimate fast in some fights where you received ranged damage (ex. cast that at Rakkat "machine gun" attack).

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play a StamBlade 2H everything, only really do overland & norm dungeons tho (CP200).

Heal group (Vigor & Refreshing Path), taunt and shield against enemies (Inner Beast & Brawler/Bone Shield) then kill them off.

Enemies get debuffed (resistances) via Surprise Attack & allies crit buffed 3/4% via passives.

Worked pretty well so far, still push 25/30k self buffed while doing this.

Since I don't play the normal setup for tank or healer I've voted DD as that's the role I'll go when running trials or vet.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Neyane
    Neyane
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s between healer and dps.
    The most important thing in life is enjoying yourself.
    810+, love trials and dungeons, achievement hunter ♥
    Stormproof on 9 characters and more to come~ Flawless on MagSorc & MagPlar ♥
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If your tank does 8-10k DPS, that's a TRASH tank. Running selfish skills, selfish sets, and all the wrong specs. There is no way you take that tank into anything that's any kind of tanking challenge. No DSA, Trails, Skin runs. Then again, if spending 10 minutes on a boss bores you, then you behind the character aren't built to be a tank either. I'll run a vet Trial solo because that sh** entertains me.
    I may certainly be a Tank snob, though my willingness to also help out baby tanks kind of belays that. Also let me be clear, I'm not saying to change anything. I'm just saying, it sounds like you are the type of person I meant by my original comment. A lot of people who have a Tank, that they may even consider there main, are rather unwilling to PuG at all. Not just load up and vote people out, but to not even load solo at all. Or like you said, would rather hop on their DPS to help ensure the speed is up to par. There are very few who like me, enjoy loading into who knows what I trying force the Run to happen regardless of the group skill level.
    If top level players don't load in with low end players though, its just going to take longer for those people to learn. I for one can teach the mechanics. I can even teach what gear and skills, but as for the details of the DPS rotations, others are far far better at doing that.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others