The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

I am Lagging! Unexplained low FPS and drops (maybe fixed?)

Shmoopy
Shmoopy
✭✭✭
Hello! I am Lagging (or @Shmoopy if you prefer.)

I have had unexplained crippling lag for three months now, ever since I moved to Sweden and upgraded my PC. I had it before, just not as consistently as I do now. I still play on NA. I'll try to format this to be as easy to read as possible, but I have a lot of information and a tendency to ramble.

Now when I say lag, I mean specifically framerate drops. My fps rarely gets over 30 inside cities and dungeons, but also drops down to around 5 consistently, essentially making other content like Trials and Cyrodiil impossible for me to play in. I've done a lot of testing to see what could be causing this, and I'd like to document it here. I would love for constructive input but please take the time to read this!

First, my specs (Sorry if wordy, pulled from my part lists):

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (Yes, it's been unparked, with no changes)
Mobo: MSI - Z270 GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
GPU: MSI - Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card (BEFORE you say EW AMD?! I have already checked this. My boyfriend and I swapped GPU- his being a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti- with NO change to the fps at all for either of us)
Storage:
1 Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (ESO is saved here)
1 Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Unnecessary info-
PSU: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

I cannot stress this enough- On my boyfriend's PC, which SHOULD be inferior to mine, I get a consistent 70 FPS. His specs listed below.
CPU: Intel i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (It has NOT been unparked)
Mobo: Asus - Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM: I cant see what type, but it's 16GB (4x4)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (Currently we are swapped- he has my RX 480 and I have his 750 Ti and he had NO noticeable changes in FPS)
Storage:
1 Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (ESO is saved here)
1 ADATA - Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

8783f058c9.jpg

Here you can see a few things:
  • Playing at the barest minimum settings (Is this really ESO?!)
  • All addons disabled
  • Standing in Wayrest at 2AM CST
  • CPU Unparked
  • High speed internet
  • ESO not even using all resources according to task manager
  • STILL ONLY~22 FPS

"Have you tried completely uninstalling the game and reinstalling it from scratch? Or running the repair? Or resetting your in-game settings? Or disabling your addons? Or closing all other programs while ESO is running?"
If you're asking this you're probably an automated response. Yes I have tried this you silly.

"Have you tried the ESO Performance tweaks Mega Thread suggestions?"
Yes. I've tried them all, the usersettings changes, the control panel changes, the CPU unparking, they all made NO difference.

"But Lagging, have you tried playing on the EU servers where you belong?"
The answer is yes. The result is unchanged- https://puu.sh/zzyBl/022c06ea35.jpg

"Do you lag in other games, or just ESO?"
Only ESO. I'll have the occasional spikes in other games same as anyone (more often now that I don't have my RX 480) but no where near as much consistent low FPS as I do in ESO.

"This is a waste of time- obviously ESO is just poorly made and is the cause of your lag."
I would believe this if it weren't for my boyfriend's PC getting next to no framerate lag at all, with supposedly worse specs than mine.

Are all your drivers up to date? Is your Visual C++ and DirectX up to date? Is your Windows up to date? Did you do a clean removal of drivers when you and your boyfriend swapped GPU?
Yes.

FIX ATTEMPTS TO-DO LIST:
  • Try swapping RAM with boyfriend
  • Try swapping CPU with boyfriend (I REALLY don't want to have to do this.. bleh)
Edited by Shmoopy on April 13, 2018 5:18AM
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in Sweden too (hej!), and I have the same experience as you. I used to have very manageable ping and lag before, I mean it wasn't top notch 30-100ms (saw Syhper have 30-someting in a vid clip O.O), but I've adopted and learned to play with it.

I reverted to an older nVidia driver set, the 368.81 at the moment, and it does perform smoother than the latest drivers on my GTX 750ti. Also double check that the driver is using the GTX750 as main GPU and that PhysX uses it too and not set to Auto?

However, lately it's just bordering unplayable - both FPS and Ping/Lag wise.

So I'm currently trying the WTFast network routing program, which at times gives awesome results and other times less so, but I guess it would be when, as we say, it's "skit in skit ut" XD.

But there are issues in the game with FPS, skills not going off, skills getting stuck in animation, disconnects, usually when using doors to i.e. exit a delve or similar when a load screen usually pops up.

Not long ago I did roll my first EU toon, in desperation to see what ~100 ping feels like, but the flux/jitter, ping spikes and data loss seem fairly similar, since a low ping only is not same as a lag free game.

I have 3 CP 964 characters on NA (+3 mules), my old main has over 6,000 hrs played, I've done it all on that toon, former Empress, General and many other achievements, all crafting full, not to mention guilds and friends there, so ja, it's NA for me and not EU anyway.

Any users having good experience with WTFast and or in using any particular older nVidia driver sets and advice in general, it would be much appreciated.

Edited by Idinuse on March 4, 2018 3:27AM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Shmoopy

As you've already went through an extensive list of troubleshooting, the next thing you can do is start a ticket with customer support and send them a game consultant report. From this report support may be able to determine if there is something with your system causing the frame rate issues.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Shmoopy
    Shmoopy
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @Shmoopy

As you've already went through an extensive list of troubleshooting, the next thing you can do is start a ticket with customer support and send them a game consultant report. From this report support may be able to determine if there is something with your system causing the frame rate issues.

When I go through the web assistant, I get to the end and it just tells me to go to either the forums or the two wikis. It says at the top to log in to find assistance tailored to my account, but when I try to log in it simply doesn't let me- neither clicking the 'Log in' button after entering my Name/Pass, nor pressing enter.
    Is there something I'm missing?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Shmoopy

When using the web assistant, if it's not giving you the option to start a support ticket, try using a different category. If that doesn't work, you can also go through the account recovery form to submit a support ticket. Please let us know if you still have issues starting a ticket.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Shmoopy
    Shmoopy
    ✭✭✭
    FOR ANYONE WHO IS READING THIS, with the same issues I was having:

Finally fixed, the issue was with my HDD. Ended up getting a SSD and put ESO on it instead of my HDD, now the game runs with addons + ultra settings without any major drops
    Edited by Shmoopy on April 15, 2018 2:25PM