Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is stamDK (still) viable in a no-cp campaign

• TheMystid
    TheMystid
    ✭✭✭
    TheMystid wrote: »
    I pretty much given up playing anything "meta" on my stamDk, since it makes little sense to play meta on an outdated class.

I've had some fun and (occasional) success against top tier players running a full DoT build with BS/fortified brass/agility and 2h vma sharp axe (with heal reduction or drain stamina poison in no cp) and vma axe+dagger (sharpned&infused + disease).
    The build revolves around empowering Rend (dual wield ulti) with cruel flurry, and go full aggressive during the 16sec HoT (which ticks for ~4.5k) by also empowering claw and blood craze, and using Shattering rocks everytime cruel flurry procs to be sure they dont dodge the DoT and get the off balance...

Its a hard build to pull off and I wouldnt recommend it, but dueling wise the pressure it applies is incredibly high; 1 vx x wise the vMA dual wield has always been clunky and unreliable, yet a good Rend can make you unkillable for 16 sec.

And... no chance against templars/purge.

Try running with duroks and a bunch of points into befoul. Doesn't take long to get guys into execute range. Rend is powerful for sure. I find the only builds that give some fight in a duel are anyone with a decent shield that plays it well.

Sure an OP set works with every kind of build , but I prefer to stay medium armor and avoid hate whispers in 1 vs 1 :)
    I try to get Defile with poisons and disease enchant (on infused weapon), the uptime isnt so good but if I manage to get the full rotation with an heavy weapons bleed proc too, the damage is hardly outhealed unless they go full defense for quite a long time.
    Edited by TheMystid on February 28, 2018 6:16PM
    PC EU

Nostalgic StamDk
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    raasdal wrote: »
    I'll get back to you with my Doylemish build once it is completely finished, for those wanting something broken AF to play as StamDK :)

Doylemish such a nice set (DK+Werewolf) Pre.buff with MA before going into WW-form and RIP :smirk:

Actually, in my experience WW does not work. No one takes more than 1 GCD to breakfree from Fear. Taunt only works with Monsters, not Players. Players need to be rooted or stunned. Hence why this set only works for DK's because of Fossilize.

I'll get back to you with my Doylemish build once it is completely finished, for those wanting something broken AF to play as StamDK :)

I still dont know it proc works on players or not given the tool tip.
    Can you taunt a player and then full heavy atack to proc it?

See Above. Stun/Immob for Players, Taunt for Monsters.
    Pijng wrote: »

Hah, well, that would be great, cant wait to see completed build.

There is certainly reason to be excited. Currently playing around with Selene + Doylemish + Pariah/vMSA 2H. If both are ready from Cooldown, a Fossilize into heavy charged DW attack into Blood Craze has app. 55% chance to proc (5 chances total) Selene. And Doylemish is 100%. The Doylemish hit on Fossilize is almost guaranteed. No one can break free AND dodgeroll, before you finish the heavy, if you make sure to A/C cancel it properly. No one recovers from a combined Selene and Doylemish hit. This happens more often than one would think.
    Edited by raasdal on February 28, 2018 8:35PM
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much given up playing anything "meta" on my stamDk, since it makes little sense to play meta on an outdated class.

I've had some fun and (occasional) success against top tier players running a full DoT build with BS/fortified brass/agility and 2h vma sharp axe (with heal reduction or drain stamina poison in no cp) and vma axe+dagger (sharpned&infused + disease).
    The build revolves around empowering Rend (dual wield ulti) with cruel flurry, and go full aggressive during the 16sec HoT (which ticks for ~4.5k) by also empowering claw and blood craze, and using Shattering rocks everytime cruel flurry procs to be sure they dont dodge the DoT and get the off balance...

Its a hard build to pull off and I wouldnt recommend it, but dueling wise the pressure it applies is incredibly high; 1 vx x wise the vMA dual wield has always been clunky and unreliable, yet a good Rend can make you unkillable for 16 sec.

And... no chance against templars/purge.

Try running with duroks and a bunch of points into befoul. Doesn't take long to get guys into execute range. Rend is powerful for sure. I find the only builds that give some fight in a duel are anyone with a decent shield that plays it well.

Sure an OP set works with every kind of build , but I prefer to stay medium armor and avoid hate whispers in 1 vs 1 :)
    I try to get Defile with poisons and disease enchant (on infused weapon), the uptime isnt so good but if I manage to get the full rotation with an heavy weapons bleed proc too, the damage is hardly outhealed unless they go full defense for quite a long time.

Well I run solo with it so I'm not worried about people complaining. But in duels ppl will cry that is true. I try to stay away from duels unless I'm testing because there are so many rules and sets that are considered this or that. I've been told several times that my build is cancer and aids and that duroks is banned from most tourneys. But I mean I'ma Stam dk with weak utility and no burst why would u wanna take my pressure away?
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    as others said, doylemish has potential on a stamDk, because of fossilize giving you a guaranteed time window to proc it.

But at the same time enemies spamming immo pots, or your friends throwing random CC's might hurt your uptime on the set.

also befoul is not an option here because he is asking for a no-cp build. but I guess you can combine duroks+doylemish, and add something velidreth or selene on top of it. proctard builds are always strong in no-cp.

Also one other thing to note here is that bleed builds are very popular in both no-cp, and cp campaigns, and sets like pariah, armor master, fortified brass etc, are basically useless against them.

You'll want something like impreg or durok against them.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on March 1, 2018 2:49AM
  • Pijng
    Pijng
    ✭✭✭
    as others said, doylemish has potential on a stamDk, because of fossilize giving you a guaranteed time window to proc it.

But at the same time enemies spamming immo pots, or your friends throwing random CC's might hurt your uptime on the set.

also befoul is not an option here because he is asking for a no-cp build. but I guess you can combine duroks+doylemish, and add something velidreth or selene on top of it. proctard builds are always strong in no-cp.

Also one other thing to note here is that bleed builds are very popular in both no-cp, and cp campaigns, and sets like pariah, armor master, fortified brass etc, are basically useless against them.

Doylemish sounds like a really good set for proc build, but on the other hand - being tight to some cpecific 'combo' makes me weaker when this combo on cd/or when it's impossible to implement it (IMO, I might be wrong). So if someone would recommend me something like:
    1) build that is strong cause of 'combo' and weak when this combo cannot be implemented
    2) balanced build that is good all the time
    I'd defenitely choose 2nd option. Again, if I'm wrong - then all these thoughts are garbage in the above c:

At the current moment I'm lvling stamden, and after I finished it - I'll start to lvlup stamdk.
    Edited by Pijng on March 1, 2018 6:26AM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Doylemish sounds like a really good set for proc build, but on the other hand - being tight to some cpecific 'combo' makes me weaker when this combo on cd/or when it's impossible to implement it (IMO, I might be wrong). So if someone would recommend me something like:
    1) build that is strong cause of 'combo' and weak when this combo cannot be implemented
    2) balanced build that is good all the time
    I'd defenitely choose 2nd option. Again, if I'm wrong - then all these thoughts are garbage in the above c:

At the current moment I'm lvling stamden, and after I finished it - I'll start to lvlup stamdk.

It all depends on the situation, I use sets that give me nothing but pure stats, for the exact same reason; I hate it when a set forces me to play in a certain way.

So I'm guessing you like old school , pure stat builds like I do.

on your DK or stamden, you can try blood spawn+shacklebreaker+seventh legion/alchemist, for an overall very well balanced build. Add asylum 2h , use heroic slash+shimmering shields and you will be basically spamming ults 7/24..

Edit: go bone pirate with alchemist.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on March 2, 2018 11:05AM
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i guess i'm doing something wrong because, as a stamblade, i find DK's EXTREMELY strong in 1v1 fights.

Volcanic armor reflect sends most of my damage back to me.

my damage hits like a wet noodle on dk... even when i specifically fear them to ensure a good incap. (yes this is the best dmg i end up doing but it never is close to lethal on a good DK).

They mitigate my damage.. heal to full with dragon blood, put noxious breath and venomous claw on me... continue to weave some light and heavy attacks... next thing you know - boom / take flight into executioner...gg.

twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello there.
    I've heard rumours (or not) that stamDK is good in a cp campaign, but is bad in a no-cp one. I just dont have any idea about dks at all, so I wanted to ask you about their current situation.

Let me make some pattern:
    1) Are dks viable in a no-cp? If no – why?
    2) What playstyle should dk follow?
    3) What are the best setups?

Much appreciated.

I do the Vivec one, and for me, all my 2H StamDK are currently broke and not viable due to malfunctioning Dizzying Swing and Executioner, which I do have the issue up on the Bug Report section; in hopes it will get some attention (maybe.) I may bring a 2H in sometimes later, just to see if things have improved or not. However, right now, my StamDK are not viable (sadly.)

However, most are definitely running heavy armors. Could be Shacklebreakers, Ravaging, Fortified Brass or something that gives high resistances and then paired with another high damage dealing set; such as Sword Singer, Spriggan, maybe Ravaging, VO or something. You just want a combo of sets that gives both high resistances and dps capability. Ideally, 2H is superior over DW for PvP, when Dizzying Swing and/or Executioner/Reverse Slice do work properly. These two are amongst the main damage dealers for a 2H StamDK. Definitely, Forward Momentum (for the brief anti-cc/snare and Major Brutality) have to be slotted, as well as Resolving Vigor for good healing (Green Blood, if you don't have Vigor yet.) Fossilize and Talons are good cc/snare skillsets, and you want some kind of movement mitigation as enemy players can be quite mobile; although, both are not as useful or readily spammable as with a MagDK, but still works for a stam. Stampede is another for the reduction of movement on the target that is a nice skill to slot. I also like Brawler, but with the limited slot, I would have to replace it over Stampede or Executioner, as my must have skills are, ideally, Dizzying Swing, FM, Executioner, Resolving Vigor and Volatile Armor.

There are also a lot DKs (whether stam or mag) sporting S&B on the other bar. Whatever works, but on the other bar, Burning Embers is nice to have, but as a stam, I slot the Venomous Claw for brutal poison DoTs. I use bow as the backbar for when range is needed, and the Lethal Arrows are just brutal when hit. If a bow, Poison Injection is good for the DoTs and support executioner, but for me, I already have the actual Executioner (when properly working) and Venomous Claw for poison DoT; therefore, I prefer the Lethal Arrows. Another nice to have and slot is the Noxious Breath, which is another DoT and Major Fracture. All and all, Dizzing Swing/Wrecking Blow is one of the higher close quarter damage dealer and Lethal Arrows for range for a stam.

Well, in general, things/combat-wise/gameplay seem to be a bit better, but you still getting weapon swapping issues and lag spikes here and there, and it can be frustrating when you are not able to readily/effectively weapon swap during a fight to get to the other needed skillsets. However, in general, with what I have mentioned (when working correctly and properly), a StamDK is quite brutal and viable for PvP in both CP and non-CP campaigns.
  • Dedricus
    Dedricus
    ✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    I slot the Venomous Claw for brutal poison DoTs.

"Brutal" Hah. Hahahaha. AAAAHAHAHAHA!
    Edited by Dedricus on March 21, 2018 7:04PM
  • Daimmyo
    Daimmyo
    ✭✭✭
    Zerg and care not about skills.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I still dont know it proc works on players or not given the tool tip.
    Can you taunt a player and then full heavy atack to proc it?

No, taunt only applies to monsters. Needs to be a heavy after a sun/ immobilized against players
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or you can use DW, stack bleeds, not blockcast and do fine.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »
    or you can use DW, stack bleeds, not blockcast and do fine.

bleed builds with something like master dw+agility, feels strong on any stam class. It just does not feel like playing a Dk to me, as it is done better by stamsorcs usually, with their hurricane and natural high damage output+implosion.

That being said I find duroks or cyrodiil crest to be a must have set with bleed Dk because when your damage output is low, defile is your best friend :)
  • ezeepeezee
    ezeepeezee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run Advancing Yokeda + Fury, 7 heavy, with Master's DW Hammers and an Asylum 2H Maul.

It's pretty damn potent, all things considered. The healing from FM + Vigor + GDB + Igneous is good, unless of course I'm heavily defiled (but I've won duels where my opponent reverbed me on cooldown).

I'm going to switch to 2h Axe on backbar and see how that is. But I like the maul for the penetration because I use Executioner as well (in No-CP. In CP it's not as potent).
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend pretty much anything else.

Stam DK is my main. Leap is good....everything else. Meh....Slow rolling DOTs need to be changed.

Stamina Nightblades and Wardens are way stronger.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Deep_01
    Deep_01
    ✭✭✭✭
    I havent been killed by a stamdk in a legit 1v1 in months.

There is a stamDk in my campaign who is super tanky and chases me over the map spamming HA with knightslayer and shield breaker on. Died a few times and it was 1v1 ;)
    @Deepan on PC-EU
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skoomah wrote: »
    Stam DKs are viable but the margin for error is low. You have to have min max skills, gear, etc.

You can wreck with Stam DK but you have to work real hard for the kills vs before the nerfs since morrowind.

Whatever you go with, try your best to max out along the following dimensions: DPS, Heal, Tank, Sustain, Mobility

With this in mind, the best practice is through dueling. Test and adjust your build against each class until you are competitive against all classes. Set the goal at being competitive not overpowered. There are 10 classes total, magicka and stamina versions of each. DK, Templar, Warden, Nightblade, Sorc.

DK - Out tank and sustain them
    Templar - Out heal them
    Warden - Out burst dps them
    Nightblade - Survive burst and detect them
    Sorc - Out burst dps and snare them

Make sure to practice both your damage combo rotation and your defensive/heals/line of sight combo rotation.

Once you got these foundational check points down pat, then think about how you can switch to different load outs based on the situation: Cyrodiil open world, small group, raids, Battleground and different game modes, Duels.

Dressing Room add on helps you switch gear and skill bars with one click of a button.

Probably one of the best responses here that you'll find. One thing not mentioned here, that will help you if you do decide to be a stam dk (god forbid) is learning how to efficiently animation cancel. This is a must as a stam dk. I mean, yes it's pretty much required on any class once you find other players high enough in skill, but with stam DK it is extremely important. Why? Stam DK lacks the potential burst that the other classes have. We have to depend on our ultimates for that burst a lot of times, so learning to animation cancel will help improve your burst potential.

Now on another note, I'll try to make this brief but my honest opinion here: If you haven't fully leveled your stamina dk, stop. Honestly, stop. Especially if you're still learning how to efficiently fight in pvp. Several big reasons why. 1) Stamina DK lacks efficient healing. If you go medium, rally and vigor are there but with defile creeping into the meta, it becomes difficult. In addition, medium armor makes you inherently squishier compared to heavy. Some may argue, that other classes deal with the same issue, but why they forget, is that other classes (such as stam sorc or nb) have the ability to create distance and bring back up their health and resources to help reset the fight. DK's in general have no such ability. So, you may ask, well not go heavy to mitigate more damage and maintain resources more easily? Well you can, but then you're stuck with forward momentum (you will have to take this if you don't want to be snared to kingdom come) which does not provide an efficient means of healing when you get bursted. Especially if you are bursted with defile on top of that. In that situation, stun as quickly as possible, create some distance, get igneous up, hopefully spam a pot and vigor and pray to the gods that it is enough.

As @Skoomah mentioned, it is possible to do well as a stam dk, but unlike other classes where the forgiveness on error is much larger, a stamina dk does not have this luxury. You have to be on top of your game, at all times when fighting others who are on the same skill level as you. Where one mistake made by your opponent may set them on the defense to recuperate; a mistake on your part will result in your death. If you are willing to get to that level of commitment on your stamina DK, then yes go for it. Otherwise, there are other classes out there that will save you from plenty of cursing and raging.
    Edited by Kronuxx on March 25, 2018 9:14AM
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is literally a multitude of Stamdk's that do great in pvp.

I don't know what all these people are smoking.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Stamina players make me sick, if you play stamina your just a noob who cant play a class the takes skill.

Stamtards.

Surely no bias here at all. I do understand that you secretly enjoy stamDks not being a thread to your magblade though.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on March 25, 2018 6:35PM
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭

You're right there are. When it comes to fighting against people like you, I'm sure it's not hard at all to do great.
    Edited by Kronuxx on March 25, 2018 8:42PM
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen several Stam DK's doing well in NA-PC Battlegrounds over the last few days, putting up extremely high total damage while also being fairly durable. But, they don't typically have quite the same type of LOLBURST that some of the other Stamina classes do, and obviously no cloaking or Magicka User Immunity Shimmering Shield.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    I've seen several Stam DK's doing well in NA-PC Battlegrounds over the last few days, putting up extremely high total damage while also being fairly durable. But, they don't typically have quite the same type of LOLBURST that some of the other Stamina classes do, and obviously no cloaking or Magicka User Immunity Shimmering Shield.
    Agreed. There aren’t many circumstances outside of fighting stamblades where you’d want to be a Stam DK instead of a Stam warden.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp