The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Grothdar will go extinct because of zaan

Ihatenightblades
Ihatenightblades
✭✭✭✭✭
Period. Nerf damage or get rid of every other magicka based monster set as they are not needed... skoria for range zaan for melee and thats basicly it huh? No point of even considering another option.

#Balance

I also believe zos dug themselves into a hole here. Too many monster sets do same thing as others. This is another grothdar with higher damage thats all.

Are we really gonna consider other monster sets based off the 1 piece bonus it gives?

Nerf zaan. But when you nerf zan it becomes same exact thing as grothdar just different look... i dont see how this is progressive at all.

EDIT !!!!! Earlier i didnt go full rant mode because I figured people knew the problem. Unfortunately i was wrong.

When i put 5 spellweave - 5 sun ( or even a sustain set ) - 2 zaan and you 1v1 me do you honestly think you stand a chance against my mag dk? If you think you do you are sadly mistaken...

Step one - apply engulfing flames -
Step two - apply embers
Step three - wait for zaan proc
Step four - fossilize into meteor combo into whips
Step five - ignore hate mail.

This will be every guy standing in stormhaven thinking he has skill using the most overpowered thing in game.

Magdk will never lose a 1v1 again magplar no longer stand a chance.
Edited by Ihatenightblades on February 22, 2018 1:35AM
  • Eddyble
    Eddyble
    ✭✭✭✭
    Period. Nerf damage or get rid of every other magicka based monster set as they are not needed... skoria for range zaan for melee and thats basicly it huh? No point of even considering another option.

#Balance

Just a curiosity, though, if Zaan's beam can be broken by line of sight, like a tree or something. Wouldn't Grothdar still be viable as it is an AOE?
    Eddyb1e - Xbox One - NA
    Eddyble - PC - NA
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eddyble wrote: »

#Balance

Just a curiosity, though, if Zaan's beam can be broken by line of sight, like a tree or something. Wouldn't Grothdar still be viable as it is an AOE?

Im talkin pve.
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over react much? First of all Grothdar is already in many people inventory with builds built around it. Second, from what I have watched (on PS4 so I haven't had a chance to run it) the dungeon from which you obtain Zaan is soul crushing hard on HM. That alone will prevent many from obtaining that monster helm, at least right away. Is it good, it seems to be, is it BiS period and fact, the numbers and counter play in PVP say no.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • Eddyble
    Eddyble
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eddyble wrote: »

#Balance

Im talkin pve.

Ah, then, yes I agree. I have been thinking Zaan over much everything else to try and help do some damage on my tank. I imagine if testing is successful that I might not go back to anything else unless absolutely needed.
    Eddyb1e - Xbox One - NA
    Eddyble - PC - NA
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A
    O
    E

Even if you can stay in melee range for boss fights, zaan stinks on trash compared to grothdar. Use one for trash, one for boss if we're discussing absolute optimization.
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over react much? First of all Grothdar is already in many people inventory with builds built around it. Second, from what I have watched (on PS4 so I haven't had a chance to run it) the dungeon from which you obtain Zaan is soul crushing hard on HM. That alone will prevent many from obtaining that monster helm, at least right away. Is it good, it seems to be, is it BiS period and fact, the numbers and counter play in PVP say no.

Pve dude.. when a boss is standing still all that matters is if your melee or range.. boss hardly ever move and when they do you can stay close enough to keep both grothdar and zaan proc.

Its bis period for any mag class in melee range. You wanna talk about pvp? Its broken and everybody agrees. Nerf will come soon
  • TarrNokk
    TarrNokk
    ✭✭✭✭
    2 many tears in 2 many qq threads.
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    A
    O
    E

Even if you can stay in melee range for boss fights, zaan stinks on trash compared to grothdar. Use one for trash, one for boss if we're discussing absolute optimization.

A good group usually will always have enough aoe no matter the monster set. Single target is more important imo for 80% of this game
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Already have the helm... my group all got it without reading the scroll in the vet dungeon mode (NOT HM), wasn't THAT difficult this way ... once we understood the mechanics of the boss that is
    Edited by W0lf_z13 on February 21, 2018 6:17PM
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • Nihility42
    Nihility42
    ✭✭✭✭
    7765c49fd3c461d6df8271c1e134c578e02893e3_full.jpg.a401d214d70325c4435e2d1fb83e4fdf.jpg
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    A
    O
    E

A good group usually will always have enough aoe no matter the monster set. Single target is more important imo for 80% of this game

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it. AoE damage optimization is just as important as single target damage optimization. If I said "A good group will always have enough single target damage no matter the monster set", I would be just as correct as you were.

If you're talking single target melee, go zaan. If you're talking single target ranged, skoria/Ilambris. But melee aoe is not Zaan.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on February 21, 2018 6:20PM
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    W0lf_z13 wrote: »

Already have the helm... my group all got it without reading the scroll in the vet dungeon mode (NOT HM), wasn't THAT difficult this way ... once we understood the mechanics of the boss that is

Not HM, well then it isn't as hard to get, I stand corrected.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pve dude.. when a boss is standing still all that matters is if your melee or range.. boss hardly ever move and when they do you can stay close enough to keep both grothdar and zaan proc.

Its bis period for any mag class in melee range. You wanna talk about pvp? Its broken and everybody agrees. Nerf will come soon

I am thinking about the new/newer DLC dungeons, most of the bosses are all over the place, staying within the sweet spot for Zaan to proc and stay there, I don't know, I don't think the uptime will be as great as everyone thinks. I have watch a lot of videos ran on the PTS with Zaan, it does nice damage but it is single target and you have to be in the danger zone for it to trigger. I think it is situational at best and not BIS. As for PVP the counter play isn't that hard, break LOS or get >10M away. Again, it looks really good on paper, and is solid but I don't think it will replace every other helm.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Its ST, melee ranged, and has a large cooldown. So if it breaks. You are at a disadvantage. In trials it isn't going to be as useful since many bosses have mechanics that you have to move for. Hell, I use skoria for comparable DPS as grothdarr, but its on target.

Lets just add this to the list of useless posts you have made.
    Edited by ak_pvp on February 21, 2018 6:35PM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking about the new/newer DLC dungeons, most of the bosses are all over the place, staying within the sweet spot for Zaan to proc and stay there, I don't know, I don't think the uptime will be as great as everyone thinks. I have watch a lot of videos ran on the PTS with Zaan, it does nice damage but it is single target and you have to be in the danger zone for it to trigger. I think it is situational at best and not BIS. As for PVP the counter play isn't that hard, break LOS or get >10M away. Again, it looks really good on paper, and is solid but I don't think it will replace every other helm.

Once people realize it does 3x more damage than any other monster set i dont know. Uptime isnt everything a lot of pvp people time their bursts but ya for pve 75% of content any melee mage should be wearing this. And in pvp also. This can be deadly on a magplar or mag dk pvp. Just wait
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    Its ST, melee ranged, and has a large cooldown. So if it breaks. You are at a disadvantage. In trials it isn't going to be as useful since many bosses have mechanics that you have to move for. Hell, I use skoria for comparable DPS as grothdarr, but its on target.

Im guessing scrubs like yourself dont know that more than 75% of bosses stand still in the game. Nice theory bro. Very few bosses move and they dnt move much lets be honest. Guessing you dont do much content other than simple stuff based on your knowledge
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes gear is better than other gear.

Sometimes the better gear is new.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of proc sets.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ...and here I am just wishing that Domihaus was more viable. The 200 weap/spell damage is nice- but that molten rock/flame damage on the outer ring makes no sense. So... only enemies touching the outer ring take damage...?

You might as well wear one piece Kena and one piece Domihaus for a consistent increase in damage instead of a proc. :/
    Edited by Savos_Saren on February 21, 2018 6:52PM
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/396971/fun-fact-elf-bane-buffs-zaan-proc#latest

err....seems like it's getting some serious love in PVP...
    Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
    Thoronir Rolston- Breton petsorc: Stormproof
    Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:
    Justinius Maximus Decimus- Altmer magblade
    Agronak gro'Mashul- Orc DK Tank
    Valerya Hawkcroft- Breton healer
    Zaaka- Imperial stamDK/crafter

✭✭✭✭✭
    Why all the hysterical overreactions to Zaan? Magicka melee DPS, particularly Templar and DK, needed a buff to remain competitive with NB, sorc, and stam DPS. Zaan gives us a much-needed buff at the cost of being single-target. That's a balanced tradeoff. In AOE fights, Grothdarr will still easily outperform Zaan. Stop trying to ruin the first good thing that two DPS underdog classes have gotten in a while.
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why all the hysterical overreactions to Zaan? Magicka melee DPS, particularly Templar and DK, needed a buff to remain competitive with NB, sorc, and stam DPS. Zaan gives us a much-needed buff at the cost of being single-target. That's a balanced tradeoff. In AOE fights, Grothdarr will still easily outperform Zaan. Stop trying to ruin the first good thing that two DPS underdog classes have gotten in a while.

So the solution to fixing under performing classes is to implement a op set thats only viable for 2 classes to make them still not even compete with sorcs or magblades. Sorry but no
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's not a perfect solution but it's the one good thing we have going for us at the moment and it shouldn't be stripped away because people incorrectly think it's "OP". It's not. Do you know what "single target" and "AOE" mean? Zaan is well-balanced for what it does, especially with the removal of AOE caps that greatly increased the value of AOE sets. A Grothdarr proc is still far superior in most content where it'll be hitting several targets and doing full damage to all of them. Ilambris for ranged if using elemental damage, Skoria for ranged burst, Grothdarr for melee AOE, Zaan for melee single target. There's nothing wrong with having a range of options optimized for different situations. Why are you so opposed to other players having a good thing?
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »

Im guessing scrubs like yourself dont know that more than 75% of bosses stand still in the game. Nice theory bro. Very few bosses move and they dnt move much lets be honest. Guessing you dont do much content other than simple stuff based on your knowledge

" In trials it isn't going to be as useful since many bosses have mechanics that you have to move for."

Lets look at vMoL

Add sections: Won't be useful at all here. AoE is best. And you need to move from voids

Zhaj: Pillars, cleanses, etc.

Twins: Again. Many adds, need to interrupt, and movement from the negate. As well as the big switches and portions where bosses aren't in melee range.

Rakkhat: The balls, when he moves/jumps, adds etc.

Its just not really viable in most. Standing still means *** all in most actual content where high DPS matters enough. I.e. trials, since there are so many mechanics. Things like manti popcorn, lightning storm atros lightning, etc all eans you can't stay still and always let zaan work best.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can confidently say op hasn't used Zaan yet. It's a very minor single-target dps increase, and it's immediately outperformed if there are two adds during a fight.
    Edited by Jhalin on February 21, 2018 7:52PM
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if Zaan were worse it would go extinct because of Grothdarr. Don't you understand, there will always be a best option.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Mag sorc and DK --> ilambris in all fights that prevent you from staying melee.

nb and magplar -> 5 Moondancer + 5 Acuity + 1 Domihaus/Kena

Seriously, Moondancer is crazy now that synergies work, especially in melee range it is pretty damn amazing. Even from the front bar only...

shards/orbs/conduit/purify/blood altar/bone shield.. It's not hard to keep up now.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

#Balance

I also believe zos dug themselves into a hole here. Too many monster sets do same thing as others. This is another grothdar with higher damage thats all.

Are we really gonna consider other monster sets based off the 1 piece bonus it gives?

Nerf zaan. But when you nerf zan it becomes same exact thing as grothdar just different look... i dont see how this is progressive at all.

Grothdar is extremely easy to get when compared to Zaan. So Zaan should be better.

Where did this idea come from anyway that everything on an MMORPG is suppose to be "balanced" with nothing being better than anything else? That has never been the case. Usually the more difficult an item is to obtain the better it is. And veteran scalecaller peak makes veteran vaults of madness look like a hello kitty game.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing but nerf posts from this guy. He should be renamed to "Ilovenerfs".
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA