The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Are we sure about the whole "fishing with other people increases rare fish droprates" thing?

Linaleah
Linaleah
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
becasue its done nothing positive for me. droprates are as low as ever, i actualy get more rare fish when I'm the only one at the hole, in part because it doesn't run out nearly as fast.

I've gotten to a point where whenever someone joins me in fishing randomly, I have to almost physically hold myself back from telling them to leave, please, but not as politely.

P.S. because apparently above sentence is not clear enough - i have never actualy asked anyone to leave. I'm perfectly aware its an mmo and holes do not belong to me. I just wished that they would. to myself. silently. without actualy saying anything. is this clearer? sometimes fishing makes me think angry things. thinking =/= doing.
Edited by Linaleah on February 23, 2018 4:52AM
dirty worthless casual.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As there is really little you can be absolutely sure about in this game I’d say no.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I never noticed it made one iota of difference either. I've heard folk swear it does but not in my experience.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does make a huge difference. Tested.
    Just fishing with someone else doesn't make a significant change though. But try fishing with 6 other people or more and you'll see.
  • Lyserus
    Lyserus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you fish yourself a long time and then have a partner to fish together, the drop rate is quite noticable
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It does make a huge difference. Tested.
    Just fishing with someone else doesn't make a significant change though. But try fishing with 6 other people or more and you'll see.

Hah, I couldn't get six or more people who want to fish if my life depended upon it. Unless, I suppose, I offered them scads of money or some such thing.

I'm 9 fish from MA and I'll just keep on plugging along.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet spot seems to be 3-4 other people.

Hole isn't depleted too fast, and get more rares
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For purely anecdotal evidence; when I used to fish with my guild 8 or more people at a spot I saw much higher drop rates. A lot of us would nearly finish a zone in a few hours of fishing. Spots dry up real quick though.
    PC/EU DC
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

More? Yikes. I had a whole slew of purples, finally started selling them off after I decorated my houses with, probably, too many fish. And I have a nice stash of PR.

• Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going with Yes. I noticed a small increase in rare fish drops when someone joined me at the fishing hole.

(I got the master angler achievement last year)
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

More? Yikes. I had a whole slew of purples, finally started selling them off after I decorated my houses with, probably, too many fish. And I have a nice stash of PR.

We aren't talking about fish house decorations.
    We are talking aboutique green and especially blue achievement fish
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Where is that guy that has Master Angler on 12 characters or something crazy like that? He probably knows, but I don't remember his name.
    PC/EU DC
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fished with 2 other people at one point. we just ran out of holes faster, but did I get ANY rares? nope. all I got is a wasted last cast. every. single. time.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

We aren't talking about fish house decorations.
    We are talking aboutique green and especially blue achievement fish

I didn't really have overmuch trouble with those except for Reaper's/foul. That one about did me in. The rest came along at a rate I was comfortable with.

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    From what I've always been told, 2 is better than 1 and 3 is better than 2 but anymore than 3 people at a hole is bad.

For what it's worth I got my master angler relatively quickly compared to other players I've talked to and I did 99% of it by myself. The only time I was with others was the occasional time a random player would come join me for a few casts.

I've never tested it though this is just my personal experiences and what I've been told by others.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I think 3 is the sweet spot.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is it possible that if said bonus does exist, it was borked recently? becasue seriously, its been pretty frustrating as fishing holes don't respawn particularly fast, especially when you need that one last blue fish for the zone.
    dirty worthless casual.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Where is that guy that has Master Angler on 12 characters or something crazy like that? He probably knows, but I don't remember his name.

Master Angler once is crazy. I don't think there is a word in the English language for someone that completes it 12 times.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    is it possible that if said bonus does exist, it was borked recently? becasue seriously, its been pretty frustrating as fishing holes don't respawn particularly fast, especially when you need that one last blue fish for the zone.

No it does exist, I've experienced it myself. There is a tool tip or loading screen message that also states it. As far as it being "borked recently "...not sure but possible.

I just think you have very bad rng when it comes to fishing.....very very bad

And yes, that last fish, especially if it's a blue fish can be very annoying. I've seen it take people days even weeks to get it
    Edited by Katahdin on February 21, 2018 5:30PM
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Master Angler once is crazy. I don't think there is a word in the English language for someone that completes it 12 times.[/quote]

Patient. Very, very patient.

I'm going to go for a second one eventually but not any time soon.
    Edited by DieAlteHexe on February 21, 2018 5:29PM

• Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

No it does exist, I've experienced it myself. There is a tool tip or loading screen message that also states it.

I just think you have very bad rng when it comes to fishing.....very very bad

oh my rng is bad in general :P its just.. i literally have better success rates when I fish alone by the sole virtue of having more chances per hole for a rare fish O_O

and I was wondering since it seems that higher chance of writs is also possibly borked if something wasn't broken for fishing as well?
    dirty worthless casual.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a Master Angler I can say this is bs.

I was fishing alone and in groups, and I haven't seen even small difference between it.
    I preferred to fish alone because fishing hole didn't dry out as fast as while fishing with oter people so I didn't need to look for another hole so often.
    I think that lie was made only to encourage people to group up and do more stuff together.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For any of you testing this, have you actually grouped with the other's that are around? I don't think the bonus applies if your just near each other. I think you have to be grouped.

This is real easy to test, just find 4 or 5 people who want to try this.

However, I can tell you that grouped with several others, almost every cast is a Trophy Fish. Being near someone, no change that I can see. I have been in groups as large as 16 people, although we would split holes up.
    Edited by Nestor on February 21, 2018 5:41PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who spends a fair amount of time fishing, yes it makes a difference. Two people, not quite. But three people is definitely noticeable. The other day we were three and in a little over an hour we grabbed all the rare fish we were looking for in a single area, blues included, from three different water types. It would otherwise take a lot longer as I have experienced so often.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    For any of you testing this, have you actually grouped with the other's that are around? I don't think the bonus applies if your just near each other. I think you have to be grouped.

However, I can tell you that grouped with several others, almost every cast is a Trophy Fish. Being near someone, no change that I can see. I have been in groups as large as 16 people, although we would split holes up.

huh, that might explain it.
    dirty worthless casual.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smells fishy to me! A red herring I'd say...
    iX1dCxU.gif
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Aha, nope and it's about as likely to happen as I am to revert to 20 years old and be blonde. But that does make sense, thanks for that. :)

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it makes a difference, less non trophy fish to filet for perfect roe.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    As a Master Angler I can say this is bs.

I was fishing alone and in groups, and I haven't seen even small difference between it.
    I preferred to fish alone because fishing hole didn't dry out as fast as while fishing with oter people so I didn't need to look for another hole so often.
    I think that lie was made only to encourage people to group up and do more stuff together.

I'm a master angler too - and so are quite a few people who confirmed that fishing with other people noticeably increases the rare fish drop rate.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fished for 2 weeks for my last fish alone. Asked guild members to help me, got 3 people, got the last fish in less than 20 minutes.

So it proved it did make a difference for me. Or it was just circumstantial. Who knows.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Linaleah
      Linaleah
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      it seems that deciding factor is whether you are formally grouped with other people fishing. none of the times I was fishing with other people - I was grouped with. so take it as you will.
      dirty worthless casual.