The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

An error has occured, please try and login a few minutes later -> Error 307: You have been kicked

Cyron74
Cyron74
✭✭
Over and over and over since last patch. Since the new DLC dropped I have experienced quite a few disconnection issues.

Here comes patch to save the day... What really happens I can spend hours just trying to log in. I have deleted quite a few addons to the point where I only have ones I know others have that don't have an issue logging into the game.

I sub, 6 months at a time with new period coming up. Why renew if I cannot log into the game?

I've gone through ZoS ignoring an old bug with items being deleted from bank/inventories which is similar to the new one from the storage. When deleting a char that used to have them then are deleted to make ready for a new char items just vanishes.

Contacting support might be the most worthless thing one can do I've experienced. First you get a bot response from 'as an avid gamer myself' then it's someone who didn't bother to read what the issues were and comes up with the most absurd advice which has nothing to do with what you reported. Interestingly enough most people I've talked to experience the same with an occasional person getting real help from someone on the support staff that not just fixes things but makes sure to compensate. This occurence is rare however, kind of like getting Aetheric Cipher drop. That support person should be cloned and the others fired.

When will you fix so I can login properly instead of spending hours trying to get in? No my computer is not old, nor do I have any lag to talk about when playing ingame (Cyro is an exception of course), so something happened with last patch.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

I wonder if others experience something similar? I hear in guildchats that some do but is it common?
  • Alamakot
    Alamakot
    ✭✭✭
    Very common. This morning (before maintenance) and now I have only one response from serwer: "Login timeout. Try again". On PC/EU, on PTS the same.
    ZOS, we really don't matter if you implemented 7- and 15-days research boost in Crownstore or new costumes/outfits/mounts, while we are unable to login to the game
  • Cyron74
    Cyron74
    ✭✭
    For me it works like this:

I try to login with a specific character. If I fail to login with that one it is basically banned from the game for some time. One I couldn't login with for 12+ hours yesterday. Any character that fails even once to login cannot for some reason login for quite some time. Like it has a timer on them to try again, and we're not talking 'a few minutes' here.

Not the same characters all the time or every day either. Who gets banned and cannot do dailies, mount training etc.., differs. Not even which zone they're in matters. It's like they are put on a temporary banlist once they've failed to login once.
  • Cyron74
    Cyron74
    ✭✭
    I know many are having this issue after talking to people ingame. I have yet to see ZoS responding to it. Maybe I should put it in General Discussion instead?

I'm missing doing writs, mount training, leveling etc.. on multiple chars. Now I cannot even login with my crafting main. I am not amused by this...
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    !LONG!

@Cyron74
    @Alamakot

First: you should run the ESO Game Consultant program, which is in the same folder in which the Launcher is installed. Then attach the report file to a message that you send to ZOS Customer Support for their review.

I am probably wrong, but my hunch is that the security measures for the Bethesda network (the hardware is actually operated by Akamai, I believe) are responding to your log-in attempts as if they were from a fleet of robots making a DDOS attack on the Bethesda authentication servers. Such an attack might actually be in progress, and we wouldn't know, whether Bethesda and/or ZOS personnel do.

That said, if you have often experienced repeated disconnections after successful log-ins, the problem could be with an Internet router that is overloaded, or malfunctioning, and consequently "dropping packets" (ignoring them instead of routing them).

If you are using a PC running Windows as the OS, then you can run the following test yourself:
    1. Access the Start Menu and find the Command Prompt accessory, then right-click on its shortcut, and left click on "Run as Administrator" to launch the command-line shell.
    2. Type the following after the colon on the top line displayed in the window which has been opened:
      tracert 23.219.162.34 

3. Then press the <Enter> key to execute the Trace Route program.
    4. If you want to output the report to a file, which you can attach to a message, then use the "redirection" operator, followed by the path to the folder in which you want to store the file, for example:
      tracert 23.219.162.34 > "c:\temp\tracert.txt" 

5. Note that the folder must exist in the pathname which you specify, but the file named at the end of the path will be created if it doesn't exit, or overwritten if it does.

You will see a report like this one:
    Tracing route to a23-219-162-34.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [23.219.162.34]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1 
      2     8 ms     7 ms    11 ms  10.14.0.1 
      3     7 ms     8 ms     8 ms  ip68-105-160-33.ga.at.***.net [68.105.160.33] 
      4    15 ms    26 ms     9 ms  ip68-105-160-9.ga.at.***.net [68.105.160.9] 
      5    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  maribprj02.ae0.0.rd.at.***.net [68.1.0.251] 
      6    23 ms    26 ms    21 ms  68.105.31.182 
      7    22 ms    22 ms    22 ms  a23-219-162-34.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [23.219.162.34] 

Trace complete.

If any of the timings shown above on the same line as "ms" (milliseconds) are instead asterisks (*), then the router did not respond to the trace-route utility in less than 250 ms. (which is a very long time in telecommunications networks). Three asterisks instead of times is bad news.

The asterisks usually signify that the router on the line above them is not sending packets to the router whose IP address is preceeded by one or more asterisks. That is why that router does not send a response to the trace-route utility within 250 ms or less.

When you get a report like that, then you need to repeat the test a few times over a period of at least an hour. If a significant number of the outcomes report three asterisks for the same router(s), then you need to contact your ISP tech support about it. (Note: the preceeding statement has been edited to clarify that a significant number of outcomes for which there are three asterisks might signify a problem -- not, ususally, just one or two.)

In conclusion, the problem might be that the game client on your computer sends packets, but they don't reach their destination. And the host server is sending packets which might not arrive at your computer, too. So the connection is lost, and we have to restart the game client and attempt to connect to the authentication server again to log-in and resume play.

A repeated pattern of such disconnections can come to resemble a DDOS attack, especially when there are a few thousand clients with which they are occurring.

Because rescending of the Network Neutrality rules adopted last year has taken effect today, we should expect our usage of the Internet will become disrupted and unreliable, at least until whatever changes that the ISPs want to adopt are functioning as they have designed them, whether to our benefit. You can bet that the eventual consequence is that we will be paying more money to the ISPs, whether directly or indirectly, for access to the Internet.

Edited by Shadowshire on February 25, 2018 4:25AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Thunderclap
    Thunderclap
    ✭✭✭
    @Shadowshire:

Have you also the ip adress for the eu server?
    PC EU - PVP - CP 2300+Win 10 Home 64-bit - 32GB - SSD 1000GBIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHzNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
  • Cyron74
    Cyron74
    ✭✭
    @Shadowshire

I do appreciate you trying to help. Funny thing is you actually double down on one of the things I mention in my original post and that is ZoS support not even bother to actually read what the problem is and come up with a solution to something they believe the problem could be because title or first lines or whatever.

I have no problem login into account, I have problem login into some of my characters every day. Since I don't want to you to make the same mistake again here it is:

NOT the same characters every day, it varies. Also NOT having trouble login into my account.

I do hope you had that solution saved in a file somewhere and didn't go through all the trouble making it just for this thread alone. As much as I like people that genuinely try to help people, this is borderline ironic. :smile:

Also for some reason this happens to 2 characters every day, at least 2, but never all of them. Then they get 'temp-banned' for quite a few hours before I'm finally able to log them in. Next day it's probably 2 other characters.

Thanks for trying though. Might help the other person.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

If you've read this, chance is higher that one character cannot log on if it's the last one I used the day before when logging out plus one random at least. Though that assumption can be false since it isn't always true. Maybe the way of logging out matters? Like the quite often error message one gets because you push the quit button instead of logging out each step instead.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Shadowshire:

Have you also the ip adress for the eu server?

No. The IP address which I disclosed in my instructions was given to me by ZOS Customer / Tech Support as a "test server". As far as I know, it is still appropriate to use. So I suppose you can ask for an IP address that you can use to test whether an Internet router is overloaded or malfunctioning on the route from your computer to the European ZOS/Bethesda network.

Also, if you run the ESO Game Consultant, then open/edit the report and search for Pathping RESULTS you will find the IP addresses of the servers for which the program tested the pathping command, followed by at least one set of trace route results. Using any of those IP addresses won't do any harm, however, if one of them is offline (such as the patch server) then its line on the trace route output might be only asterisks.

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cyron74 wrote: »
    @Shadowshire
    I have no problem login into account, I have problem login into some of my characters every day. Since I don't want to you to make the same mistake again here it is:

NOT the same characters every day, it varies. Also NOT having trouble login into my account.

''''
    For your information: when I have had problems logging-in to a character (after logging-in successfully to the game account), then I have also found that they can occur because an Internet router is overloaded or malfunctioning. Surely you do not believe that an Internet router only has that condition while you are attempting to log-in to the game, do you? Since such a router's behavior is often intermittent, it will drop packets while you attempt to log-in to a character, and drop packets while your character is in a dungeon or trial Boss fight, too. What you are doing online has nothing to do with whether a router is overloaded or malfunctioning. Capiche?

That said, if you perform the trace route test and don't find any failing routers, then being unable to log-in to a character could have any number of causes, as ZOS Customer / Tech Support should be able to tell you. What you and I need is a troubleshooting protocol to follow. Unfortunately, I have never found one on the Customer Support site (maybe they can send one, or point you to it if you ask). There might be one in the Customer Technical Support section of the forum:

PC Technical Support
    Mac Technical Support
    XBox One Technical Support
    Playstation 4 Technical Support
    Customer Support - General

CUL8TR

Edited by Shadowshire on February 25, 2018 4:17AM

• Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The asterisks usually signify that the router on the line above them is not sending packets to the router whose IP address is preceeded by one or more asterisks. That is why that router does not send a response to the trace-route utility within 250 ms or less.

When you get a report like that, then you need to repeat the test a few times over a period of at least an hour. If a significant number of the outcomes report asterisks for the same router(s), then you need to contact your ISP tech support about it.

not technically accurate. * means there was no response from the router, that parts true. It does not however mean there is an issue there. It is an indicator only that there might be, but it can also be perfectly normal.

if you tracert to 198.20.182.23 (which i think is an ESO server iv previously done a trace to)
    9 236 ms 236 ms 236 ms a209-200-144-194.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [209.200.144.194]
    10 382 ms 393 ms 423 ms a209-200-144-197.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [209.200.144.197]
    11 * * * Request timed out.

hop 11 will ALWAYS have * and it is perfectly normal. ignore the times on this one, iv got a vpn going and its altered the route from normal to that IP. If you were to report that to your isp, they should advise you its not their problem. If they are smart enough, they'll advise you thats its not their problem, and its not even a problem.

In this case, everything after hop 11 will be *. thats not always the case either. traceroutes and pings are a low priority and any router that is setup to drop these packets deliberately will return * or if the router is busy can return *. Theres much more to understanding traceroutes than what you say here.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »

When you get a report like that, then you need to repeat the test a few times over a period of at least an hour. If a significant number of the outcomes report asterisks for the same router(s), then you need to contact your ISP tech support about it.
    not technically accurate. * means there was no response from the router, that parts true. It does not however mean there is an issue there. It is an indicator only that there might be, but it can also be perfectly normal.
    What the * means is that there was no response from the router in less than 250 ms. One test means nothing, even if all three attempts result in * * *. It starts to mean something when that is the "normal" response of the router, i.e., over a significantly long period of time, especially at different times of the day.
    if you tracert to 198.20.182.23 (which i think is an ESO server iv previously done a trace to)
    9 236 ms 236 ms 236 ms a209-200-144-194.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [209.200.144.194]
    10 382 ms 393 ms 423 ms a209-200-144-197.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [209.200.144.197]
    11 * * * Request timed out.

hop 11 will ALWAYS have * and it is perfectly normal. ignore the times on this one, iv got a vpn going and its altered the route from normal to that IP. If you were to report that to your isp, they should advise you its not their problem. If they are smart enough, they'll advise you thats its not their problem, and its not even a problem.
    Correct, if it isn't their router, then it isn't their problem. Except that it is when their customer's traffic is not being routed past that router. Since the ISP is the customer of who is the owner, it is up to them to contact the party that is responsible for the router. Since you're using a third party VPN, you could talk to them about it, but I would expect that they won't open a ticket until and unless the ISP whose router is sending the packets to the VPN router contacts them about it. That's SOP policy.
    In this case, everything after hop 11 will be *. thats not always the case either. traceroutes and pings are a low priority and any router that is setup to drop these packets deliberately will return * or if the router is busy can return *. Theres much more to understanding traceroutes than what you say here.
    Yes, I know that, but I had neither the intention nor the time to write a dissertation on the subject, just the bare essentials as a guide as to when to consult the appropriate system administrators.

Network operations and administration used to be relatively simple and straightforward. But it became increasingly complex because the capabilities of the hardware and the cables (e.g., fiber-optic) have changed, and the tools for planning and administering the networks have become more sophisticated. Trace Route and Pathping are tools from the old school.

More to the point, operations and administration are increasingly complex because (1) the amount of traffic from diverse sources has increased, and (2) the corporatist profit ethic, "earn as much money as possible, as fast as possible" puts a premium on reducing cost. Every dollar reduction in cost is a direct increase in profit. So that becomes a tug-of-war between quality of service and profitability of service. It should not surprise anyone that what was once unacceptable in the performance of a router has become the commonplace "new normal". Nor should it surprise anyone that what was once an excellent profit (return on investment) has come to signify an "underperformer".

Edited by Shadowshire on February 25, 2018 4:38AM

• ValkynSketha
    ValkynSketha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This error was happening to me 1 year ago, my issue was with isp that the ip address keep changing after a few minutes, you might want to check that.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been happening WAY too much since the patch. I just got booted off, again. It's already past old, I'm about to go back to playing my other game instead of this one because at least I don't get randomly kicked off the server constantly.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • pinopino
    pinopino
    Soul Shriven
    I'm playing this game by 2 years now and I never had this problem until U17.
    I have 10 characters and only 3/4 gets DAILY cursed. This mean that if I keep trying login with one of those I'll get booted from server. But with a non-cursed char I can play any aspect of the game no problem. Also means that tomorrow I'll probably able to login a cursed one and viceversa.

After few tests on suggested solutions it's clear to me that :
    - it is not a internet problem. Stop saying that. Was fine before U17 and still fine for non-cursed chars.
    - it is not an addon problem
    - it is not an outfit/costume problem. Going naked doesn't affect the bug.
    - it is not a rage log out problem.

It is clear that in U17 they changed the login process and it's not working for some players.
    I'm reporting the bug since day one trying to give tips to dev in order to solve the problem but got nothing in response, not even a "we're working on it" or "try this".
    I'm ESO+ and by 2 weeks I'm paying for not be able to login. This is fraud!
    I demand a word from developers, say something about it!
  • Swergdach
    Swergdach
    ✭✭✭
    pinopino wrote: »
    I'm playing this game by 2 years now and I never had this problem until U17.
    I confirm this. Before U17 everything was fine. Now it is just ridiculous. Half of my playtime I fight with "An error has occurred, please try...". :/
  • pinopino
    pinopino
    Soul Shriven
    for those who are still suffering this bug, despite testing with no addons didn't work, this will solve your problem :
    - open minion
    - uninstall master merchant (with the option "also delete local files")
    - reinstall master merchant
    - enter the game and change mm setting in order to work after login

I don't know why U17 triggered the problem, probably the login timeout has been reduced.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Philgo68
    pinopino wrote: »
    for those who are still suffering this bug, despite testing with no addons didn't work, this will solve your problem :
    - open minion
    - uninstall master merchant (with the option "also delete local files")
    - reinstall master merchant
    - enter the game and change mm setting in order to work after login

I don't know why U17 triggered the problem, probably the login timeout has been reduced.

Players should use the Master Merchant option to delay "intializing" (loading the data) until after logged-in to the character. When the collected data-set is more than about 100,000 sales, then loading it while logging-in to a character has the potential to delay completion of the log-in for too long.

There is a warning about it on the ESOUI website information tab for MM. This problem was found at least two years ago, and the MM developer added that option, but I don't know whether it is enabled by default. I have noticed that MM has stopped outputting the number of sales that it has on record in a message to the Chat window, and I don't know why. I suppose that I should investigate that.