The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

[BUG/FEEDBACK] Not getting Bank Space Upgrade when reaching level 16

Merhivia
Merhivia
Soul Shriven
Please read this carefully if you are going to reply, as it is easy to get this mixed up if one just skims through.

After sending messages back and forth with Support I was asked to post this here in this part of the forums, so where I am. New player, doing the recently introduced level advisor items and bonuses we get after each level up. I read that if you buy Bag Upgrades before you get the level up bag upgrade you would not get it, so I did not buy any and I did get the Bag Upgrade when hitting level 7 after which I bought two upgrades to personal bag space . Now, next one up was the Bank Space upgrade at level 16 and assuming this would be the same I did not buy any Bank Space upgrades until after level 16, but when I hit level 16 nothing happened and I did not get the +10 Bank Space upgrade.

Now, support said that because I had gotten *Bag Space Upgrades* after level 7 but before level 16 we do not qualify for the *Bank Space Upgrade* at level 16. To be fair I did not see that one coming, and it doesn't make any sense as these are two completely different storage solutions. One is per character, one is shared.

For new players this would not make much sense at all, especially if you stayed away from doing bag space upgrades until after level 7. Nowhere I could find did it say that bag and bank space upgrades were connected and that one negated the other. So if this is to be the case, there should be some info given early on for those that starts off in Tamriel for the first time at the very least.

So that's it, as per instruction from the Support team I've now written this here. Hope devs read this part of the forums and it's not going to /dev/null like so many other games out there.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do have to wonder at the choice of these two rewards in particular. Back when I first started, I ran into bag space issues very quickly, and I found the pack merchant as soon as I could. 200 gold was affordable even then, and I took the first upgrade well before I hit level 7. I imagine many others have done so as well.

If this system had been in place then, I would have missed out on both the bag space reward and the bank reward based on that initial upgrade. I would likely never have known that they would have been awarded had I just not upgraded anything manually until level 16. (This seems pretty incredible to me as someone who had the craft bag from my fourth day in game; I can't imagine how someone without the craft bag would not immediately investigate extra storage options before level 16, if not level 7.)

Now a 200-gold upgrade is peanuts in hindsight. Had they made the reward the next available upgrade, however, we'd have players getting a reward worth anywhere from 200 to well over 50k gold, depending on where they are with their upgrades. So that doesn't seem fair either. But the fact of the matter is that you can (and indeed are very likely) to miss out on either or both of these rewards without even knowing that you're missing them. I might be able to see this as ZOS' way of suggesting that if you haven't upgraded your bag space yet, you should start thinking about it. But then why give another reward at level 16 that is predicated upon not having upgraded at all as they suggest at level 7? If anything, the level 16 upgrade seems to reward new players for not upgrading at all until then, which would seem a hindrance rather than a help. I am truly stumped.

We have in these two rewards then are things that will be missed, I suspect, by the majority of players who reach these levels. Whether they know of these rewards or not, these players will end up having paid for things that the few who reach these levels without having manually upgraded will get for free.

For me personally, missing out on introductory rewards worth only a few hundred gold is no big deal. But I do have to wonder at the decision to include rewards that can only be acquired under very limited, unlikely circumstances (which, as you say, are never explained), even for new players. How many of these new players, in the end, will even end up getting either of these?
  • Merhivia
    Merhivia
    Soul Shriven
    virtus753 wrote: »
    I do have to wonder at the choice of these two rewards in particular. Back when I first started, I ran into bag space issues very quickly, and I found the pack merchant as soon as I could. 200 gold was affordable even then, and I took the first upgrade well before I hit level 7. I imagine many others have done so as well.

If this system had been in place then, I would have missed out on both the bag space reward and the bank reward based on that initial upgrade. I would likely never have known that they would have been awarded had I just not upgraded anything manually until level 16. (This seems pretty incredible to me as someone who had the craft bag from my fourth day in game; I can't imagine how someone without the craft bag would not immediately investigate extra storage options before level 16, if not level 7.)

Now a 200-gold upgrade is peanuts in hindsight. Had they made the reward the next available upgrade, however, we'd have players getting a reward worth anywhere from 200 to well over 50k gold, depending on where they are with their upgrades. So that doesn't seem fair either. But the fact of the matter is that you can (and indeed are very likely) to miss out on either or both of these rewards without even knowing that you're missing them. I might be able to see this as ZOS' way of suggesting that if you haven't upgraded your bag space yet, you should start thinking about it. But then why give another reward at level 16 that is predicated upon not having upgraded at all as they suggest at level 7? If anything, the level 16 upgrade seems to reward new players for not upgrading at all until then, which would seem a hindrance rather than a help. I am truly stumped.

We have in these two rewards then are things that will be missed, I suspect, by the majority of players who reach these levels. Whether they know of these rewards or not, these players will end up having paid for things that the few who reach these levels without having manually upgraded will get for free.

For me personally, missing out on introductory rewards worth only a few hundred gold is no big deal. But I do have to wonder at the decision to include rewards that can only be acquired under very limited, unlikely circumstances (which, as you say, are never explained), even for new players. How many of these new players, in the end, will even end up getting either of these?

Wise words indeed, and yes you do have to wonder...