The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

It *is* possible to pick more than three items from a target. Video proof.

Phaedrathallassa
Phaedrathallassa
✭✭✭
After seeing this claim on a thread about the Great House motifs a few weeks ago, I set out to prove it true or false. The original claimants offered no proof, saying it's "obvious". Well it isn't. I picked at least a hundred or two targets over the course of a few hours and none dropped more than 3 items until I met this argonian.

https://youtu.be/yeUf7QV3Qg8

In the end she dropped 5 items, and it may have been more if I hadn't failed my last pick. The second time I tried her she only had three items on her.

I'm guessing this is probably a bug but it may be a relief to some people to know they're not crazy (or perhaps this is distressful to those who always want to fully clear their targets).

In general I still think pick-pick-stab is the best option. I got caught a lot more often picking three times due to the higher chance of failure (and this is with fully maxxed legerdemain passives). There is one situation where pick-pick-pick is the most polite option - if other people are working the same area as you, you both get a chance at three items if you don't kill the target too fast. If you're communicating, you can easily arrange for you to both pick twice and then stab, but if you're not, imo the polite thing to do is to leave the target standing. Entering the outlaw's refuge and leaving again usually puts you in a new instance which will reset the targets if needed (and possibly get you away from the competition).

Happy stealing!

• Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for this insightful post. Yet another thread goes to my bookmark collection. :)
    Edited by Ch4mpTW on February 18, 2018 4:27PM
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    something I have found. if both of you pick at least once, second person doesn't need to do a second pick, as after your stab, they will be able to loot all the items they would have picked, had they had a chance. that said.. i have never EVER seen this happen, personaly and I have done a LOT of pickpocketing. could it be unique to morrowind? a fluke? something? I don't know... can't deny the proof its just... weird
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    something I have found. if both of you pick at least once, second person doesn't need to do a second pick, as after your stab, they will be able to loot all the items they would have picked, had they had a chance. that said.. i have never EVER seen this happen, personaly and I have done a LOT of pickpocketing. could it be unique to morrowind? a fluke? something? I don't know... can't deny the proof its just... weird

This. I do this when I'm farming on characters with no passives or when there's some lunatic stabbing everyone they see without even picking the pockets. Just pick each NPC once, and sit back. When someone else comes along and stabs them I just go to the bodies and loot the rest of the items. Motifs included.

Perhaps the reason why they have more than 3 items is because they somehow reset themselves while being picked? I have personally never noticed this but I have noticed the opposite. There are cases when NPCs only have 2 items, even those freshly spawned. Makes one wonder what happened, and if the third missing object was a motif that for some strange reason gets blocked from dropping.
  • supaskrub
    supaskrub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had similar happen on several occasions in Vvardenfell, able to pick 4 times at least. In my case I noticed it was always after the first, second or third pick awarded Vvardenfell style materials. Hard to tell from your clip if that was the case here, Don't get me wrong it does not happen often but it has happened a few times to me and another guy i know of.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've picked more than 3 items even in the base game. Picked vampire fangs from a vampire npc on 4th pick once xD. Might have levelled up pickpocketing to the max to be picking teeth from mouths xD
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only had it happen in Vvardenfell and always one of the picks was a style material.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • Phaedrathallassa
    Phaedrathallassa
    ✭✭✭
    In this case none of the picks was a style material. I didn't test outside of Vvardenfell though.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was a whole thread about this and numerous people verified that you can, on occasion, get more than 3 picks. Did you think we were all lying? It doesn't just happen in Vvardenfell, either. I had it happen several times in Hew's Bane and other places.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Phaedrathallassa
    Phaedrathallassa
    ✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    There was a whole thread about this and numerous people verified that you can, on occasion, get more than 3 picks. Did you think we were all lying?

Yes, I thought they were all lying (both of them). I wasn't the only one. Like I said in the OP, the people in that thread were saying it happens "all the time". It doesn't happen often at all - they were obviously exaggerating if not fabricating entirely. The refusal to provide any kind of evidence when it's so easy to take video (if it really happened all the time) was suspect.

Well, now there's proof that it can happen. Just... not often enough to be worth the trouble.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There was a whole thread about this and numerous people verified that you can, on occasion, get more than 3 picks. Did you think we were all lying?

Yes, I thought they were all lying (both of them). I wasn't the only one. Like I said in the OP, the people in that thread were saying it happens "all the time". It doesn't happen often at all - they were obviously exaggerating if not fabricating entirely. The refusal to provide any kind of evidence when it's so easy to take video (if it really happened all the time) was suspect.

Well, now there's proof that it can happen. Just... not often enough to be worth the trouble.

I posted on several thread that I'd got 4 picks - never got 5 though - always showed empty after 4 for me.

Thank you for the video! Have an insightful!
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After seeing this claim on a thread about the Great House motifs a few weeks ago, I set out to prove it true or false. The original claimants offered no proof, saying it's "obvious". Well it isn't. I picked at least a hundred or two targets over the course of a few hours and none dropped more than 3 items until I met this argonian.

In the end she dropped 5 items, and it may have been more if I hadn't failed my last pick. The second time I tried her she only had three items on her.

I'm guessing this is probably a bug but it may be a relief to some people to know they're not crazy (or perhaps this is distressful to those who always want to fully clear their targets).

In general I still think pick-pick-stab is the best option. I got caught a lot more often picking three times due to the higher chance of failure (and this is with fully maxxed legerdemain passives). There is one situation where pick-pick-pick is the most polite option - if other people are working the same area as you, you both get a chance at three items if you don't kill the target too fast. If you're communicating, you can easily arrange for you to both pick twice and then stab, but if you're not, imo the polite thing to do is to leave the target standing. Entering the outlaw's refuge and leaving again usually puts you in a new instance which will reset the targets if needed (and possibly get you away from the competition).

Happy stealing!

Killing innocent people in the waistworks again?
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Happy stealing!

maybe this one NPC is just bugged - that is why she drops 5 items
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all she did was to catch you trying to steal from and her, and you Murdered Her!?
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can only go over three items if you nab style mats. For some reason those don't seem to count toward npc inventory counts
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s happened to me a few times. Just because only a couple mentioned it before doesn’t mean it was ever only them.

And considering the way that Zeni uses weighted RNG practically for everything, I expect some characters will have more of a likelihood than others. For some, it may seem like it happens all the time - we all have that friend that gets above average tempers or perfect roe etc.
    Xbox NA
  • Phaedrathallassa
    Phaedrathallassa
    ✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    You can only go over three items if you nab style mats. For some reason those don't seem to count toward npc inventory counts

Nope. I've had times when I picked style mats and still only got three - and in this video (it's hard to see in the lootdrop because of the steam pop-up, but when I go into inventory you can see what I got) - there were no style mats.
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can actuallybstab after other poerson has pucked once. the 2 items will be lootable for the other one. :)
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shawn_PT wrote: »

This. I do this when I'm farming on characters with no passives or when there's some lunatic stabbing everyone they see without even picking the pockets. Just pick each NPC once, and sit back. When someone else comes along and stabs them I just go to the bodies and loot the rest of the items. Motifs included.

Perhaps the reason why they have more than 3 items is because they somehow reset themselves while being picked? I have personally never noticed this but I have noticed the opposite. There are cases when NPCs only have 2 items, even those freshly spawned. Makes one wonder what happened, and if the third missing object was a motif that for some strange reason gets blocked from dropping.

Wait a moment. Are you saying that after you pickpocket somebody, if somebody else stabs them you can loot the corpse too?
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shawn_PT wrote: »

Wait a moment. Are you saying that after you pickpocket somebody, if somebody else stabs them you can loot the corpse too?

yep. I'm not sure when this was added exactly, possibly with morrowind, but its a great improvement IMO
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Phaedrathallassa
    Phaedrathallassa
    ✭✭✭

It's been this way since one tamriel at least, probably longer.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all she did was to catch you trying to steal from and her, and you Murdered Her!?

Says the guy whose preferred play style is a „rogue“ stealth Nightblade. Ahem. I can only hope that comment was meant sarcastically. Stealing and outright killing is a part of ESO since DB.
    Edited by Feanor on February 19, 2018 5:43PM
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noticed that for the lone vampire in Hews Bane quite some time ago but haven't checked it on the other vampire yet. Will do later ...