The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

If I find a 60 day pre paid can I still use it?

ck37090
ck37090
✭✭✭✭
It's such a nice option for your money, so if I can still get one can I use it?... Also...Is there any chance of switching from subscription to just purchasing extended time? I would so much rather pay the $75 for the crowns and extend my plus for another six months...I switched to the six month plan and like getting the crowns... But rather than wait for six months to get more crowns just let me extend it again for additional six months when I want...I guess two questions here
Edited by ck37090 on February 18, 2018 2:21PM

Best Answer

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the original idea was that you get the cost of your subscription "refunded" as crowns. When the game was released and you had to subscribe to play they promised that subscribing would get you access to everything in the game with no additional costs. When they switched to the current buy-to-play format they tried to maintain that by including DLC access in a subscription and giving crowns so you could buy stuff from the crown store without paying extra. And it had to be at a comparable price or subscribing would seem like a bad deal (especially in the first few months when there was no DLC.)

That's kind of fallen by the wayside over time as ESO+ has gained additional benefits and crown store items have gotten more expensive so the two are harder to compare now.

If this is a one-off it might be worth using a time card to extend your sub, but if you find you want extra crowns on a regular basis you might be better off buying one of the larger crown packs. They work out cheaper per crown than the subscription ones. For example the 5,500 crown pack is $39.99 which is $7.27 for 1000 crowns, while you're paying $75 for 9000 crowns, or $8.33 for 1000 crowns. And it's even cheaper if you buy the larger packs.

Of course you don't get the subscription benefits that way - but that's why I said it depends on if you're doing it regularly. If you're constantly adding subscription time before the end of your sub - racking up unused time fasting that you use it - you're basically paying for subscription time you'll never get to use, and at that point you may as well take the discounted crowns instead.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Answer ✓
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ck37090 wrote: »
    It's such a nice option for your money, so if I can still get one can I use it?... Also...Is there any chance of switching from subscription to just purchasing extended time? I would so much rather pay the $75 for the crowns and extend my plus for another six months...I switched to the six month plan and like getting the crowns... But rather than wait for six months to get more crowns just let me extend it again for additional six months when I want...I guess two questions here

Based on my experience, if you can find one, and provide proof of purchase, yes. If the code does not work, Customer Support can apply 60 days to your ESO Plus and give you the 3000 Crowns that you would get. One word of caution. It has been at least a year since I tried this. I ran out of 60-day cards a long time ago.
    Edited by Elsonso on February 18, 2018 2:38PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ck37090
    ck37090
    ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the input...I have found them.. I'm just not sure I want the hassle to deal with it if it is going to be that much of a PIA...I get this is a marketing ploy sort of forcing you to buy the crowns separately for inflated prices (compared to what you get by paying for the subscription)...I don't understand why they didn't make this a digital option on the website... Or lower crown prices to something realistic compared to subscription prices
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the input...I have found them.. I'm just not sure I want the hassle to deal with it if it is going to be that much of a PIA...I get this is a marketing ploy sort of forcing you to buy the crowns separately for inflated prices (compared to what you get by paying for the subscription)...I don't understand why they didn't make this a digital option on the website... Or lower crown prices to something realistic compared to subscription prices

Ploy? I got the sense that they did a few runs of cards and then watched as they didn't sell. My impression is that all the remaining cards are old stock that people found in boxes in some corner.

Hassle? Hard to say, now. I typically got things resolved within 24 hours when I ran into troubles entering in a code. However, at the end, I knew to submit photos of everything. Card, showing barcode and the code to type in, as well as the receipt showing the card purchase.

Why don't they offer this on the website? I suppose they could, but I am sure they would rather people buy a recurring subscription.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ck37090
    ck37090
    ✭✭✭✭

Ploy? I got the sense that they did a few runs of cards and then watched as they didn't sell. My impression is that all the remaining cards are old stock that people found in boxes in some corner.

Hassle? Hard to say, now. I typically got things resolved within 24 hours when I ran into troubles entering in a code. However, at the end, I knew to submit photos of everything. Card, showing barcode and the code to type in, as well as the receipt showing the card purchase.

Why don't they offer this on the website? I suppose they could, but I am sure they would rather people buy a recurring subscription.

I say "ploy"... Because I assume we can agree that people buy crowns? Currently it costs the same to buy crowns as it does a membership... You don't think people would rather pay $30 for sixty days of plus and get the 3000 crowns over paying $30 and just getting the crowns?

I agree they want the recurring membership.. And personally for where the game is now and what I get for it I'm happy to subscribe... I'm just disappointed with the cost compared to what you get if you want extra crowns for something...ie. I just started back...I have been enjoying the game... So much so that I signed up for the six month subscription... It's great... But right now because I'm really enjoying the game I want to purchase the portable banker, at least one chest and the portable merchant... Why would I want to buy crowns for the same price as the subscription when I get the same amount and so much more with plus? With pre paid it's the same as buying crowns but getting all the plus features too.. Hell, if I could pay in advance for another six months I would...I get why people buy crowns...I want to get some...I just don't get the financial structure of how they are setup... They should be like half the price for subscribers.