The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Disappointed in content

Psycrow
Psycrow
✭✭
Today i finaly bought ESO + membership because im using one of Alcast sorcere build.
And i need the maelstrom staffs because he says its BIS. Atm im using julianos staffs.

So i mainly bought the eso membership to unlock the mealstrom arena...and i entered vet mode after i spend days reading guides and watching videos
to see what i was in for.

And i got to 2 Arena final round where the 3 golems run around and these blades circle around with the lightning device in the middel...ITS A NIGHTMARE !
I tryed everything to beat the final bosses, but i had no chance at getting em lower then 40-50 % before i died over and over..spend like 5 k on repair bills so far.

With food buffs i have allmost 20k hp and with other skill buffs i have like 3200 spellpower and 55 % crit
I tryed with sommon pets and ward shields and lots of potions.
My gear is all upgradet to yellow and i realy cant get any better stats atm.

So im gona say Thx for that huge fart in my face, and now i will unsub my eso +
because it was the main reason i bought it for.

Maelstrom staff is out of reach..Game over..incert coin.

If you ask me, then there should be another way to get that staff, so that every player could feel happy for what they bought.
Its a great thing to have hard content and give people competition, but this is ridicules...

I got to 2 arena and i dont even dare to think what awaits further on...and then there is a hge change i get a bow and a sword i cant use...GG
This is no fair !

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to kite my way around the outside edges of that arena both times I've passed that arena. Staying mobile really helped.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't be a glass cannon in vMA without some experience in there first, @Psycrow.

Your offensive stats are fine, but if you're dying to the spinning blades then it's time to rethink your defensive setup or abilities.

After you get through the Arena a few times and know the mechanics, you can then go back to glass cannon.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the blades, sticking to the edges and hitting the switches when I needed a break helped. On my stam build, being proactive with Vigor helped. On magsorc, mobility helped more plus shields. I definitely used the sigils. Haste was nice for running fast and I grabbed healing when I had two centurions on me. But mostly, staying mobile and not trying to stand and burn helped. Its been better to run away and circle back so I survive to fight than try to burn the boss and die quickly.
  • Ajaxduo
    Ajaxduo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psycrow wrote: »
    Today i finaly bought ESO + membership because im using one of Alcast sorcere build.
    And i need the maelstrom staffs because he says its BIS. Atm im using julianos staffs.

So i mainly bought the eso membership to unlock the mealstrom arena...and i entered vet mode after i spend days reading guides and watching videos

And i got to 2 Arena final round where the 3 golems run around and these blades circle around with the lightning device in the middel...ITS A NIGHTMARE !
    I tryed everything to beat the final bosses, but i had no chance at getting em lower then 40-50 % before i died over and over..spend like 5 k on repair bills so far.

With food buffs i have allmost 20k hp and with other skill buffs i have like 3200 spellpower and 55 % crit

If you ask me, then there should be another way to get that staff, so that every player could feel happy for what they bought.
    Its a great thing to have hard content and give people competition, but this is ridicules...

I got to 2 arena and i dont even dare to think what awaits further on...and then there is a hge change i get a bow and a sword i cant use...GG
    This is no fair !

It's perfectly fair, it takes people typically up to a month to learn vMA effectively.

Learn it and earn it.
    - - -
    GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
    - - -
  • Psycrow
    Psycrow
    ✭✭
    I dont even see the funny picture in this, but there is allways trolls on the internet who feed on these post.
    Its a shame because there are also great people helping with tips..but i tryed the kite method and i dident help anything.

Sometimes it feels like you just instant die randomly from nothing. Even with full life and 2 buff shield active.

I still find this dungeon trial to hard for all people to enjoy.

If they want to sell ther products, then they need to make content that is for all people.
    Or else they quit.

"What where they thinking !" would James Rolfe from AVGN say if he played this.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I died a lot using the kiting method, I'll admit. There was one time I got the final centurions down to 30k health and died. I legit apologized to my poor sorc pets after that death and it probably took me 5 more times after that.

I don't think VMA is designed for all players. Its designed for people who want a challenge and are okay with getting beaten up by mechanics until they get it right. I usually take several days in between trying to push forward in VMA, partly because I've got stuff to do IRL and because VMA is challenging.

If you haven't already, I recommend Joy_Division's guide: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/381682/joys-new-and-improved-guide-to-beating-maelstrom-arena/p1
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont even see the funny picture in this, but there is allways trolls on the internet who feed on these post.
    Its a shame because there are also great people helping with tips..but i tryed the kite method and i dident help anything.

Sometimes it feels like you just instant die randomly from nothing. Even with full life and 2 buff shield active.

If they want to sell ther products, then they need to make content that is for all people.
    Or else they quit.

To be fair, the OP wasn't asking for tips and didn't exactly display the sort of attitude that solicits helpfulness. Angry rants tend to draw out "troll" posts and the like.

That said, when I first started vMA, if I took to the forums with the stuff that was in my head, I probably would have been banned extra quick, haha. And trolled just as hard. It is ROUGH when you don't understand it well.

@Psycrow , if you decide to try again, I recommend you go in with the intention of dying and learning WHAT is killing you, WHY it's happening, and HOW you can avoid/counter it. I promise, once you have a clear idea of what the mechanic is that's tripping you up, vMA becomes WAY more manageable.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, not sure if you already saw this guide, but I find it to be very helpful in explaining things clearly:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/381682/joys-new-and-improved-guide-to-beating-maelstrom-arena
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No malestrom = healthy life
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or else they quit.

"If they want to sell ther products, then they need to make content that is for all people.
    Or else they quit." Agreed, vma is hard content for players that want a challenge in pve, cyrodil for PvP, questing etc for easy content so there is content for everyone... if you can't beat vma chances are you won't or are not prepared to run content that requires a vma staff, and if you don't be running hard content then a common crafted staff will suffice. Not all rewards in-game should be handed out like candy
    Edited by Aliyavana on February 18, 2018 5:33AM
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    Also, not sure if you already saw this guide, but I find it to be very helpful in explaining things clearly:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/381682/joys-new-and-improved-guide-to-beating-maelstrom-arena

This is the best begginer's guide so far, I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to clear vMA. Its very helpful and detailed, so there's pretty much nothing I can add.

Just one thing: dont give up. Of course, vMA is much more difficult that overland questing, but you can beat it, thats for sure. Magsorc is a perfect class to do this. :)

Or else they quit.

Its impossible to make content "for all people", simply because different people enjoy different things. Difficult content isnt for everyone, but so is super easy content (a lot of people actually find it boring). Of course, not everyone likes challenge and thats why we have veteran and normal modes.
    I think this approach has been relatively profitable so far, they've just released their third "difficult dungeon pack"... I doubt that they would do that if those dungeons weren't popular.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Game to hard, want refund....

Seriously, ill throw you a bone and give you some real advice. You have two major problems that you need to fix.

1) Frustration - Your getting frustrated. When you get frustrated you mess up more, cant concentrate, and cant focus on the task at hand.

2) Attitude - " I need this staff, but content to hard, should be easier so i can get this staff... also i want it 5 minutes ago." Your trying to hard. You have already determined you must have this staff ASAP and your pushing/rushing to get it.

What you need to do is calm down, run VMA, when you get frustrated go do something else for a day or two and cool off and clear your head. Go fishing, pick flowers, build a desk or some nice bunk beds. Second, patience. Dont worry about the staff. It will be there later, if its not, then im pretty sure you no longer need it anyway. Instead, focus on the task at hand, getting past the point you are stuck on. Do it over and over until you get a little closer each time until you accomplish it and can move on. Raging against the machine is not going to help you obtain your goal.

Bonus tip: You could always try respeccing or changing out your gear for that specific fight. One spec/ gear set isnt necessarily good for all content. A few changes tailored to that fight will likely give you an edge.

If you do something over and over expecting different results that is...insanity. You need to change something to change the results, whether that be spec, skills, gear, weapon, rotation or when you dodge and when you block. But you need to figure out what part of the fight is your issue and try to solve it rather than get frustrated about it.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on February 18, 2018 6:07AM
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol you paid for content, not an item.

VMA is the hardest single player content in the game, well in most games to be fair.

Be glad you have something to work towards, and the staff adds 2-3k dps. Clearly that won’t make or break your build if you can’t even get past round 2.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, next to the very good and detailed guide from joy there is only one advice you may consider: try normal MA first.

Its not that difficult and most bosses can just be DPSed down... but you will learn about spawn places and timing of mobs. Once you master normal "blindfolded" the step towards veteran isn#t that traumatizing anymore.

Just my 5 pence.

btw i play a stamplar ... so burst down anything as fast as possible +purge /heal at need, is my basic strategy, not sure if this is somehow convertable to sorc, but I heard these pets are indeed helpfull in MA.
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is no fair !

Normally my opinion is "every content should be available to all players". And MA is available to everyone. However I also think that there should be hard enough content for the HC players - and vMA is just that. If you want to beat it, you have to figure it out, and it will require time. So I don't agree with you that the players should have more chance to grab these weapons. If you want to "feel happy for what you bought"... earn it, fight for it and if you can't do that, accept your shortcomings. I know that I won't have that weapon because I lack the skill.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    one simple statment
    100% ward uptime = cheesy mode for vma
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    mitigation makes a huge difference on arena 2. It's actually a joke if you're in heavy armour or a werewolf.

major ward will make a huge difference.
  • pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You dont need that staff, good in slot will be just fine.
    VMA is not fun if you are not in it for the challenge.
    if you just go there to get a specific weapon asap then you are better of without it.

It does however provide the best l2p environment i have ever seen in a game but its frustrating.
    I can only speak for myself of course but I am my own worst enemy in that place. Lmao
    English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
  • Psycrow
    Psycrow
    ✭✭
    Ok thx all for the link guides..i will try and follow your suggestions :)
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or else they quit.

1. you don't have to have maelstrom staff to be effective. it adds to your output yes, but it will NOT on its own make or break your build.
    2. maelstrom is a fraction of content that comes even with wrothgar. there IS plenty of content for everyone there. you just picked the one thing, that you cannot do immediately (hey neither can I) and that means there is no content? really?
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭

This is no fair !

Sounds like a learn to play issue to me.

You'll one day complain that the end game PvE is too easy as well. Can't have it hard because you can't get BiS gear but can't have it too easy where that BiS gear becomes useless.

Just keep trying and you'll get it. Heck you'll be so happy you can post about it and actually feel like you accomplished something.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is no fair !

As strange as it is to say, you almost need a pvp backbar with wards and heals
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It just takes time and knowledge. Going MA will help first. Personally I can't be bothered as life is too short and stressful as it is. Did it once, never again.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere something went wrong, with people who are below like.... let's say 25-30 in age. They truly imagine that everything, everywhere is for everyone. At that, you shouldn't be forced to put anything than minimal efforts into getting what you want, like some sort of "symbolic gesture".
    They reason there should always be a rewarding "easy way out", once you think you've done enough. If you DON'T get what you want, all you need to do is complain, refuse and protest and you'll eventually get what you want. Horrible, horrible world of losers....
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you ever try a nMA? It sounds like your upset because you couldn't immediately do some of the most difficult content in the game. Do you understand how many times Alcast has done vMA? This isn't something you just do, you need to build up to it. Did you think getting a BiS weapon would be easy? You can study all you want, watch videos for weeks, but practice is the only way to really understand that place.
  • Psycrow
    Psycrow
    ✭✭
    I was reading the guide and with all your help i made it to stage 3 now haha
    But lets keep this thread open when i complain about stage 3 :smile:
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    meanwhile people are doing naked runs on vMA.

If they did that their first time through, that'd be even more impressive (and more applicable to the situation here.)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Kill the stranglers ASAP, kill the ice images ASAP, and kite everything else is my very unofficial, almost certainly nonoptimal strategy for surviving that arena my 1st and 2nd time through it.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

See how satisfying it is when you are able to conquer it without an easy way out?
  • Psycrow
    Psycrow
    ✭✭
    It actualy is !

I died at boss 3 stage got it to 20 % and then i step in the water....Game over
    For now i need a break..im running low on gold for repair and soul stones for res.

But GG Maelstrom GG