The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Guards attack, char freezes. No option to pay / clemency / flee.

Aeph
Aeph
✭✭✭
When I have a bounty (any amount) and either go near a guard or the guard spots me and runs over, I don't get the option to pay the bounty off, use Clemency or flee, the guards just attack me and the screen freezes and no buttons work, other than checking the map, so I just have to wait and be killed by the guard - losing all of my stolen items and durability of armor.

This totally sucks because I play as a thief/assassin character and I'm trying to work through the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines - some of which seem impossible to do without getting bounty! I actually gave up playing for a while and considered cancelling my sub to ESO+ because it's such an annoying bug that ruins the quality of the game for the type of character I play as.

Also upon death it gives the usual option to revive "here" or at a wayshire, but either option causes my character to revive in a low res, NPC-less version of the world where all I can do is access the map. I then have to restart the game.

This only started happening after I subscribed to ESO+ - which is kind of making ESO+ suck for me and is what made me consider cancelling it since I never had this bug before. It is also only affecting one of my characters.

Playing on Xbox EU megaserver.

https://youtu.be/vhWZiQ5tgKA
  • mmogamerperson
    mmogamerperson
    ✭✭✭
    I apologise, but your video evidence is suspect. Between sec. 3 and 4, there is a glitch where you hands are no longer in the air. They just disappear. At this same time the you bounty jumps as if you just chose the run away option or let the timer run out.

As I play a rogueish character as my main, I'm very familiar with this interface. Could you provide another video? Like I said, because of that one spot, and with the entire rest of the video running smoothly, I'm not sure we're seeing what truly happened.
    The only Sane people in the world are those that are iNsAnE, and know it...
  • Aeph
    Aeph
    ✭✭✭
    mmogamerperson Yeah, I've got some more videos of this happening but I think it does the same glitchy, animation cancel thing most the time. Upon reflection it does sort of look as though it's been edited. I didn't notice the bounty shoot up so it is almost as if it's choosing flee for me. Will try and post another video in a moment
  • Aeph
    Aeph
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to tell whether it does the strange animation cut as i'm looking at the map as the guard approaches me, but this one shows it's not an edited video, both are raw footage saved onto my xbox.

https://youtu.be/SRGLoSwaSMw
  • mmogamerperson
    mmogamerperson
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, well the second one doesn't looked edited to me (but I'm no expert). Unfortunately, it's not possible to see if you had bounty high enough to initiate the kill sequence before you dropped the map, but considering the bounty after he started attacking only went to 106, I doubt it. So yeah, I would say that there is a pretty bad bug there. So other than putting in a ticket in game and calling for @ZOS_GinaBruno here, I don't know what to suggest. Try to keep from getting a bounty in the meantime or when you have to stop, make sure you are in an out of the way area till this gets fixed.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, well the second one doesn't looked edited to me (but I'm no expert). Unfortunately, it's not possible to see if you had bounty high enough to initiate the kill sequence before you dropped the map, but considering the bounty after he started attacking only went to 106, I doubt it. So yeah, I would say that there is a pretty bad bug there. So other than putting in a ticket in game and calling for @ZOS_GinaBruno here, I don't know what to suggest. Try to keep from getting a bounty in the meantime or when you have to stop, make sure you are in an out of the way area till this gets fixed.

Only 83 bounty was added to bring the total to 106. Im pretty sure at no point do you get auto attacked for a 23 gold bounty. It doesnt look like the guard should auto attack to me. i cant remember if they auto attack with heat or not? Its been a while since ive been caught and i dont think ive ever been caught with heat unless im trespassing. The first one there is heat previous to the attack, the second i cant tell.
  • mmogamerperson
    mmogamerperson
    ✭✭✭
    If the heat is higher than 2/3rd mark at the bottom left of the bounty indicator, they do attack without warning.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The keyboard freeze is a bug that's been going on for years with no fix. Try disabling your personalities, and see if it helps. Some have said the idle animation (like spinning the knife with assassin) is conflicting with the dialogue screen.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • AngryOldMan
    AngryOldMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have only experiensed the bug in first person perspective. When you have a bounty and are near guards, switch to third person view. That will fix the bug
  • Aeph
    Aeph
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the replies, I had noticed today that it doesn't seem to have been happening in 3rd person view so hopefully that's a work around.

I do also have the Assassin (spinny knife) personality set on this character too so will turn that off and see if it helps.

Both good bits of advice though, thankyou.
  • Aeph
    Aeph
    ✭✭✭
    I turned off the personality and have not experienced this problem once since, thanks again Jaraal
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeph wrote: »
    I turned off the personality and have not experienced this problem once since, thanks again Jaraal

Glad to help. It was frustrating for me, too. Hopefully the devs will look into the conflict, so we can go back to using our personalities someday.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.