The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hi I’m kinda new to pvp and need help

TheCalvinist
I run a stam dps warden. Marksman x5 eagle eye x3 agility x2 monster helm shoulder. Double bow eagle eye and agility. I keep all buffs on agility bow bar and aoe and bow ability on eagle eye bow bar. I die a whole lot pvp but pve I melt mobs. And I rarely get a kill. It’s gotta be my cp right? Please help.
Edited by TheCalvinist on February 7, 2018 3:47PM
  • Nihility42
    Nihility42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Killing mobs in PVE (which I assume is wqhat you meant) is entirely different from killing players. It takes a very different build and skillset. It's also much, much harder because players are smarter than PVE mobs, and some have been practicing this for years. Your CP may be part of the problem, but more likely it's just because you don't have enough practice. You also might be using your PVE gear, which won't be ideal. You'll likely want to have Impenetrable on all of your items.
  • Pijng
    Pijng
    ✭✭✭
    Well, eagle eye is kinda meh for pvp. It sounds good if you're new but actually it's not worth it – everyone (almost) running impen so first bonus to crit has very low effectiveness. Increased range? For what? You already have a passive from PVP –> Assault skill tree which is more than enough. Marksman is nice. Agility is great too but in case you want to use a bow – switch yours eagle eye and agility to hawk eye. Just run 2 sets (Marksman + Hawk Eye). If you can afford a marksman's or haw eye's bow – then you can wear 1pc monster set.

I'm just not sure about how good are wardens with bow builds, so i'm just talking from stamblade point of view.

UPD: Also if you're low cp then you can go no-cp campaign (Sotha Sil).
    Edited by Pijng on February 7, 2018 3:13PM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Playing a bow/bow build is difficult as a solo player.

Bow focused builds in general are best played as a back line support role, as they can't really fight with a melee build 1v1.
    (this is about bow being weak , not that melee is op. staff builds can perfectly face tank other melee builds but by their nature bow builds can't fight an opponent in melee range.)

Anyways, back to the point. There are loads of youtubers, streamers, guide videos, web articles about how to PvP. Read them to get started.

When your game knowledge is good enough you won't be making these threads, and you will be making your own builds.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For general Cyrodiil advice, I highly recommend Joy_Division's guide: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/360956/joy-s-advice-for-midyear-mayhem-event/p1

For general killing people advice:
    PVE damage is all about sustained damage in a rotation that keeps up the pressure on mobs. Generally speaking, sustained damage is better than burst in PVE.
    Its the opposite in PVP. In PVP, your opponent can purge and burst heal in a way that PVE mobs can't, so sustained damage is easier to mitigate. The most efficient way to kill opponents is to use burst damage. As an example, where in PVE it doesn't matter if shalks and birds hit at a different time, in PVP, you can time those skills so they hit at the same time for much greater damage to your opponent.
    That's being said, certain forms of sustained damage do become important if you can't burst your enemy down quickly. Poisons, bleeds, and keeping the pressure up drains your opponent of resources and makes it harder for them to fight and mitigate your incoming burst damage. Note that the DOTs used are normally not ground-based AOEs. PVE mobs generally stand in stupid, but smart PVP opponents will walk right out of ground-based AOEs.

For killing people with a stam warden advice: If you just want to kill people, run with a group and pick opponents off with Poison Injection and Cutting Dive. Undodgable birdspam? That's cheesy, you may be thinking. Yeah, but it'll get you kills.
    I'm sure others can give you more specific advice on your warden build - I certainly can't help you with dedicated 1v1 or 1vX advice - but if you want kills, its hard to go wrong with birds, shalks, and poison injection.
  • TheCalvinist
    Thanks everyone that was good advice for a noob.
  • TheCalvinist
    Nihility42 wrote: »
    Killing mobs in PVE (which I assume is wqhat you meant) is entirely different from killing players. It takes a very different build and skillset. It's also much, much harder because players are smarter than PVE mobs, and some have been practicing this for years. Your CP may be part of the problem, but more likely it's just because you don't have enough practice. You also might be using your PVE gear, which won't be ideal. You'll likely want to have Impenetrable on all of your items.

Great point ty I have several gear sets I’m experimenting with. Morag tong, juggernaut, defiler, veiled heritence
  • TheCalvinist
    Pijng wrote: »
    Well, eagle eye is kinda meh for pvp. It sounds good if you're new but actually it's not worth it – everyone (almost) running impen so first bonus to crit has very low effectiveness. Increased range? For what? You already have a passive from PVP –> Assault skill tree which is more than enough. Marksman is nice. Agility is great too but in case you want to use a bow – switch yours eagle eye and agility to hawk eye. Just run 2 sets (Marksman + Hawk Eye). If you can afford a marksman's or haw eye's bow – then you can wear 1pc monster set.

I'm just not sure about how good are wardens with bow builds, so i'm just talking from stamblade point of view.

UPD: Also if you're low cp then you can go no-cp campaign (Sotha Sil).

Awesome tyvm I have full set of marksman and Hawkeye I’ll definitely try that!!! I have both bows. And you made good points ty
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nihility42 wrote: »

Great point ty I have several gear sets I’m experimenting with. Morag tong, juggernaut, defiler, veiled heritence

Marksman + Morag Tong is a great combo. As others have said, your biggest issue is most likely lack of experience. The more you PVP, the better feel you will get for the flow of the battle. Experiment with different skills and setups to find which fits your playstyle the best.
  • TheCalvinist
    Playing a bow/bow build is difficult as a solo player.

Bow focused builds in general are best played as a back line support role, as they can't really fight with a melee build 1v1.
    (this is about bow being weak , not that melee is op. staff builds can perfectly face tank other melee builds but by their nature bow builds can't fight an opponent in melee range.)

Anyways, back to the point. There are loads of youtubers, streamers, guide videos, web articles about how to PvP. Read them to get started.

When your game knowledge is good enough you won't be making these threads, and you will be making your own builds.

I never solo or rarely I’m in pvp guild. I try to keep distance and boddies between me and them. But ok I’ll start looking in google ty
  • TheCalvinist
    For general Cyrodiil advice, I highly recommend Joy_Division's guide: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/360956/joy-s-advice-for-midyear-mayhem-event/p1

PVE damage is all about sustained damage in a rotation that keeps up the pressure on mobs. Generally speaking, sustained damage is better than burst in PVE.
    Its the opposite in PVP. In PVP, your opponent can purge and burst heal in a way that PVE mobs can't, so sustained damage is easier to mitigate. The most efficient way to kill opponents is to use burst damage. As an example, where in PVE it doesn't matter if shalks and birds hit at a different time, in PVP, you can time those skills so they hit at the same time for much greater damage to your opponent.
    That's being said, certain forms of sustained damage do become important if you can't burst your enemy down quickly. Poisons, bleeds, and keeping the pressure up drains your opponent of resources and makes it harder for them to fight and mitigate your incoming burst damage. Note that the DOTs used are normally not ground-based AOEs. PVE mobs generally stand in stupid, but smart PVP opponents will walk right out of ground-based AOEs.

For killing people with a stam warden advice: If you just want to kill people, run with a group and pick opponents off with Poison Injection and Cutting Dive. Undodgable birdspam? That's cheesy, you may be thinking. Yeah, but it'll get you kills.
    I'm sure others can give you more specific advice on your warden build - I certainly can't help you with dedicated 1v1 or 1vX advice - but if you want kills, its hard to go wrong with birds, shalks, and poison injection.

This!!!! Wow tyvm
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This!!!! Wow tyvm

So you know, the Cliff racer will become dodgeable with the new patch. It'll still be good, just not the one-button-spam-win-button it used to be against people who rely on dodge for a defense.
  • TheCalvinist
    I’ve never really used it in pvp. I will now.
  • TheCalvinist
    That was an amazing read I’ve been doing so much wrong. Ty
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How much impen are u running?
  • TheCalvinist
    How much impen are u running?

1, and I found out that was a big problem.
  • TheCalvinist
    Ok guys problem solved. Ty everyone for all the tips. I still died a bit but I was wrecking more than dying so that’s a start. Now just got to impen up.
  • TheCalvinist
    That cliff racer really is a beast combined with sub assault and poison injection.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That cliff racer really is a beast combined with sub assault and poison injection.

Its a lot of fun, isn't it? I'm glad things are working out for you.
  • TheCalvinist

Its a lot of fun, isn't it? I'm glad things are working out for you.

Yes I had a blast!!!! Man I’m going to miss that when they nerf it. I was spamming 4K per shot!!!!
  • TheCalvinist
    And combined with my guild I really felt like I wasn’t being carried. Seeing higher cps drop was outstanding. Tho I didn’t do it single handed I saw my bursts taken them down over half. Then mopped up by guildies. And dang when I got all the timing down it was unbelievable. It was like I was playing a brand new toon lol
  • TheCalvinist
    So 3 of my gear are divine 2 are impen 2 are reinforced. What should I change to impen?
  • TheCalvinist
    Well nevermind some of them I have to unlock at crafting station before I can transmute them so I can only change one divine for now.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Run at least 5 impen! Most builds run all 7.
    Edited by KingYogi415 on February 8, 2018 7:26PM
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi kinda new to pvp and need help, nice to meet you: I'm Father of the Year.
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you will get beat down a lot. and thats good you can learn from what others are doing to you, you can see what skills are being used, yes you will see a lot of "cheese" in your death recaps, but you can see trends. Once you get into it you may find you want to try other classes as well. Picking execute skills can help a ton with delivering those killing blows on the ones you get half way and below before they get to heal up.
    Edited by Nightfall12 on February 9, 2018 7:31AM
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • runningtings
    runningtings
    ✭✭✭
    Post up your stats, weapon damge, crit, penetration.
    Might be missing something in there.
    // DC / EU PC// Garión<< The Black >>
  • eXnihilO
    eXnihilO
    ✭✭
    I enjoy the Bow/Bow playstyle in PvP, too! :) My advice would be to not use Impen at all because even when you do, you're still basically dead if someone catches you... so I'd focus on higher damage and playing safe, even bringing stealth potions since you're not a Nightblade. I don't think an effective (high damage) marksman can ever win vs. heavy armor melee builds, so Impen will only lower your damage. It will help you survive, but that can be done in other ways that don't reduce your damage. Also, a cheeky thing that some people do is running Inner Light to proc the Might of the Guild passive for the Mage's Guild... it's a 'free' empower for most marksmen and it makes your Lethal Arrow really strong. This requires level 10 in the Mages Guild sadly, which is a soul-crushing grind for a lot of people. Have fun!
  • TheCalvinist
    Post up your stats, weapon damge, crit, penetration.
    Might be missing something in there.

Ok will do when I get home thanks. But I don’t know how to post a pic on here?
  • TheCalvinist
    Nevermind I’m sure I can just type it all out when I get home.
  • TheCalvinist
    Drakkdjinn wrote: »
    Hi kinda new to pvp and need help, nice to meet you: I'm Father of the Year.

The biggest thing I’ve found is Learn to burst and read that link posted above for where to put cp.and get impen on gear.