The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Diagram: Hourglass, Common [confirmed drop]

Carbonised
Carbonised
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Where do people get this recipe from: Diagram: Hourglass, Common?

Does someone know the specifics? And please, no guesses, we need the exact details.

The recipe exists, I saw one for sale tonight at a guildstore for 780k for a whole 5 minutes until someone grabbed it.

People will always keep these secrets for as long as possible, to milk the market and sell for absurd prices, like they did with the golden thrones recipes, the skooma bubbler recipes and many more.

In the interest of the market, and getting this recipe out there, can someone please tell how this recipe is obtained, and maybe even make one of those cool guides? Thanks.

Edited by Carbonised on January 31, 2018 6:30PM
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not sure where you can get the diagram, but you can buy one for less than 200 Crowns.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not sure where you can get the diagram, but you can buy one for less than 200 Crowns.

I know, but I'm not interested in that.

I know the item itself can also be stolen in the Gold Coast, most likely from the Akatosh priest NPCs in the towns.

But it's the recipe that I'm asking for, and common sense would seem like it was stolen from the Akatosh priests as well in Kvatch and Anvil, but I'm sure it has been limited to very few or maybe only 1 specific NPC, since there are so very few of the recipes on the market.

They did the same with Skooma recipe, hidden in a quest-only accessible area from a specific type of NPC, so it took a long while for people to discover it.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go Pick-Pick-Stabbing priests of Akatosh in the Gold Coast. Their whole shebang is time, dragon god of time, Order of the Hour, all the major symbols in the area are hourglasses. That's what has a (teeny tiny) chance to drop the recipe, and it's been well known for a while now. I got one and sold it for 300k cause honestly the furniture item isn't amazing.

Edit:
    People will always keep these secrets for as long as possible, to milk the market and sell for absurd prices, like they did with the golden thrones recipes, the skooma bubbler recipes and many more

People don't keep it secret, it just takes ages to figure out how in the world ZOS decided to implement them. There's been guides for getting the thrones and skooma bubbler for a year. Sometimes you just have to accept that it's pure luck that some people get these super rare drops and you don't. The sale price is based on that ridiculous rarity that ZOS created.
    Edited by Jhalin on January 30, 2018 10:53PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    Go Pick-Pick-Stabbing priests of Akatosh in the Gold Coast. Their whole shebang is time, dragon god of time, Order of the Hour, all the major symbols in the area are hourglasses. That's what has a (teeny tiny) chance to drop the recipe, and it's been well known for a while now. I got one and sold it for 300k cause honestly the furniture item isn't amazing.

Edit:
    People will always keep these secrets for as long as possible, to milk the market and sell for absurd prices, like they did with the golden thrones recipes, the skooma bubbler recipes and many more

People don't keep it secret, it just takes ages to figure out how in the world ZOS decided to implement them. There's been guides for getting the thrones and skooma bubbler for a year. Sometimes you just have to accept that it's pure luck that some people get these super rare drops and you don't. The sale price is based on that ridiculous rarity that ZOS created.

The last part of your post is simply not true. I was here a year ago as well, and the Skooma recipe was kept a secret a very long time until the cat was let out of the bag as to how to get the recipe. And the Skooma recipe was also initially sold for 700-800k until people started farming them, so yeah, that did happen, don't try and rewrite history.

If it is "well known" where to get the recipe, then it wouldn't really sell in 10 minutes for almost 800k.
    From the post that came after yours, it seems to be more widespread on other servers, but in PC/EU it is certainly not well known at all, hence the question.

Also, "Sometimes you just have to accept that it's pure luck that some people get these super rare drops and you don't."
    Yeah, I farmed the Wood Elf golden throne and the 3 gold orcish thrones myself, so that's not really what this is about.

Edited by Carbonised on January 30, 2018 11:00PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

WTB a recipe from the NA server. Lol.

No but that's really interesting, for I can tell you that on EU side this is the first time I have even seen one of these recipes for sale, and I do a LOT of recipe searching every day on all the large guild stores.

Maybe we can get someone on NA side to tell us poor EU people the best way to farm the recipe?
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »

Edit:

If it is "well known" where to get the recipe, then it wouldn't really sell in 10 minutes for almost 800k.

That's not necessarily true, because the drop rate on it is really really awful. But, it sounds to me like the problem is an EU buyer purchasing these things to artificially inflate the price and create even more (perceived) rarity. On the NA server they're still expensive at 250k+, but they're also slow to sell and I regularly encounter people farming the priests in Gold Coat when I go to do the dailies, hence why I say it's well-known.

That, plus, where else would people expect to find an hourglass recipe if not in the zone of hourglass imagery?
    Edited by Jhalin on January 30, 2018 11:13PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd that a "common" item is made with a Purple Recipe
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the Redguard Hourglass of Desert Sands from the Master Writ vendor (by chance from the unknown purple recipes) but have yet to see the common one. I bough a common one with crowns. They basically look identical unless you look up close.
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭
    btw why you think it was sold for 700k
    may be seller just cancelled it?
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit:

That's not necessarily true, because the drop rate on it is really really awful. But, it sounds to me like the problem is an EU buyer purchasing these things to artificially inflate the price and create even more (perceived) rarity. On the NA server they're still expensive at 250k+, but they're also slow to sell and I regularly encounter people farming the priests in Gold Coat when I go to do the dailies, hence why I say it's well-known.

That, plus, where else would people expect to find an hourglass recipe if not in the zone of hourglass imagery?

It's not a "percieved rarity", I'm telling you this is the first time I have even seen this recipe for sale, in more than a year of searching all the top guild traders daily for recipes. As well as doing TTC searches. This recipe IS rare on EU side, though it seems like someone at least on NA side has cracked the code.

And as I pointed out, saying that it drops "somewhere in the Gold Coast zone" is really unhelpful. I mean, that much was pretty clear from the beginning. It's like saying that the Skooma recipe drops "somewhere in hew's bane", when in fact it dropped from some very specific NPCs in a very specific area that was quest-locked to most people.

I was asking for something a bit more specific than "somewhere in the Gold Coast zone". And by specific I mean something like:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

• Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Edit:

It's not a "percieved rarity", I'm telling you this is the first time I have even seen this recipe for sale, in more than a year of searching all the top guild traders daily for recipes. As well as doing TTC searches. This recipe IS rare on EU side, though it seems like someone at least on NA side has cracked the code.

And as I pointed out, saying that it drops "somewhere in the Gold Coast zone" is really unhelpful. I mean, that much was pretty clear from the beginning. It's like saying that the Skooma recipe drops "somewhere in hew's bane", when in fact it dropped from some very specific NPCs in a very specific area that was quest-locked to most people.

I was asking for something a bit more specific than "somewhere in the Gold Coast zone". And by specific I mean something like:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

I use nonspecific wording because there are multiple NPCs that drop it across both cities in the Gold Coast. Any Priest of Akatosh has a chance to drop the item, but I had one drop speficially from the Priest right outside the hedge maze in Kvatch, on the side facing the water area. If you want to farm one that for sure can drop the diagram, that's your man.

I stole from him twice, another player came up and Blade of Woe'd him, and on his corpse I found the hourglass diagram.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

I use nonspecific wording because there are multiple NPCs that drop it across both cities in the Gold Coast. Any Priest of Akatosh has a chance to drop the item, but I had one drop speficially from the Priest right outside the hedge maze in Kvatch, on the side facing the water area. If you want to farm one that for sure can drop the diagram, that's your man.

I stole from him twice, another player came up and Blade of Woe'd him, and on his corpse I found the hourglass diagram.

Thanks, that was a lot more specific =p

Since I already spent several hours farming my 3 golden orc throne recipes, I'll put a few hours into this as well, and hopefully get that recipe too.
  • ChildOfLight
    ChildOfLight
    ✭✭✭
    Does the diagram drop from any Watchmen? I mean: Paladins and Crusades too?
    They basically share any treasure drop of any quality (white, green, blue) with the sermonizers, from what I could see, and they show the same working kind (watchmen).
    Edited by ChildOfLight on January 31, 2018 12:34PM
    PC EU

Ross Campano - Imperial Dragonknight - Tanks and steals stuff from barrels
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the diagram drop from any Watchmen? I mean: Paladins and Crusades too?
    They basically share any treasure drop of any quality (white, green, blue) with the sermonizers, from what I could see, and they show the same working kind (watchmen).

This is why I like the more specific guides. As always when it comes to these super rare items, there are more rumour and speculations than facts, and half of it turns out to be faulty at a closer look.

Sucks spending 4 hours farming a recipe off an NPC, only to find out it's the wrong NPC or wrong area.
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really helps to be specific when giving data so people can add it to guides. Saying something like "I got a plant off a gathering node" is so vague. What is the plant's name? What kind of node? Which zone? Same goes for pick pocketing or killing certain NPCs.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭
    looks like i will level Legerdemain on EU server to find out
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it didn't take me too long to get my drop, maybe 2 hours murdering or so. 1.7k bounty in total, and loot to sell for about 18k.

Much faster and much easier and much less bounty than farming the gold thrones.

I can confirm that the recipe drops from NPCs with the "priest" title, that is NAMED NPCs that show up as "priests" when you're in sneak. I found 2 in Kvatch near the hedge maze, and got my drop from 1 of them.

In my case it did NOT drop from the sermonizers, who have the "watchman" title in sneak. Though it may drop from them as well, it is still unconfirmed.

So if you want to farm the recipe, aim for the 2 named priest NPCs in Kvatch. Should be rather easy and straight forward.
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭

Much faster and much easier and much less bounty than farming the gold thrones.

btw how to farm gold thrones?
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some excellent guides here on the forums for all the 3 gold throne types. I used them myself. I linked 2 of them in a post above, and they come up as first result when you do a google search.
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭
    spent an hour in Kvatch, cant find any NPC with Priest profession
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are definitely 2 of them, one is dressed in blue and often stands near the fountain, not far from the furnishing merchants, the other is dressed in a white robe and stands near the hedge maze and the wall next to the ponds.

Both of these are Priests, and I got my recipe off the white-dressed one of them.

There can be more than these 2, but I spent my time farming these 2 as they were easy and close together, so I don't know if there are more than 2.

Edited by Carbonised on February 1, 2018 10:51AM
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭
    found them
    what about Anvil?
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Master Merchant
  • kvlou79
    kvlou79
    ✭✭✭
    I’ll clear this up for you. NO, it doesn’t drop from th Watchmen npcs. There are 2 priest npcs in Kvatch that will drop it: Female priest at the back exit of the hedge maze staring out over the water, and a male priest at the wolf fountain. Farm both of them and you’ll get it. It took forever for my master thief. But that’s where you’ll get it. GL.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    found them
    what about Anvil?

Didn't see any in anvil, only Kvatch.

As always, as long as you have stolen once from an NPC, when someone else kills them, the last 2 items spawn on the corpse.

I found that really helpful, since I just marked the NPC with one steal, then let some other fool kill it and get chased by the guards, while I picked up my last 2 items from the body.

The 2 priest NPCs are quite easy to farm and kill though, hardly any bystanders, and you can easily deal with them. I got less than 2k bounty when I was done, and had almost 20k of loot to fence.

Maybe I was lucky, but I didn't spend more than 2-3 hours, and if I had ONLY farmed those 2 NPCs and left everyone else alone (I was farming the Akatosh sermonizers and other NPCs as well, just in case), I could just have done 2 steal/kills, went AFK for some minutes watching Youtube or whatever, then come back and pick pick stick and go AFK again until respawn.

I'd say it was a lot easier and faster than both the Wood Elf throne recipe and the Orc thrones.
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭
    ok i asked guys at NA megaserver
    they told its more often drop in Kvatch Castle
    you need to do few quests of DB line to open gates first
    will test it
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile....I’ve never found the actual gold imperial motif book. Lol who knows
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • GoodFella146
    GoodFella146
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of the recipes on the PS4 NA server (or were, haven't looked too hard for them recently). I've seen a few sit days at 200k or less
    Edited by GoodFella146 on February 1, 2018 11:56PM
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voxicity wrote: »

Master Merchant

Buy recipe from yourself a few times at few hundred k -> hurr durr master merchant says its worth that much so it must be!

OP is literally trying to get someone to buy his hourglass recipe garbage for 1mil.

Some master merchants you all are..