The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is the purpose of dodgeroll?

Wrubius_Coronaria
Wrubius_Coronaria
✭✭✭✭✭
What is the purpose of dodgeroll if the majority of skills are undodgeable and unavoidable except to get major expedition nowadays?

• Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caitsith wrote: »
    What is the purpose of dodgeroll if the majority of skills are undodgeable and unavoidable except to get major expedition nowadays?

Depends on sets you use. Also, sometimes in PvE if you do not dodgeroll, you die. Guess in PvP you can get away from some ground effects as well.
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The majority of skills are dodgeable. You're using hyperbole regarding the small minority of skills that ignore dodge, which players abuse in pvp because they can. Undodgeable skills exist to make dodge spammers less OP and make block actually useful. It's a counter to a game tool that literally ignores all damage at the press of a button. Block spam was reducing too much damage too and now they're nerfing block, so the heavy armor people can complain too. Shields were the first thing ever nerfed to *** because of how OP they were. Seriously, everything has a purpose and everything has a counter, these things exist to prevent cheese builds that used to exist. This has been answered and asked many times, even recently.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/381192/whats-the-point-of-dodgeroll
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVP, I use dodge roll to catch up with my group under heavy fire or to roll out of the way of a destro ulti pain train or a bomber attacking the group on the flag. Seems to work pretty well.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll Dodging with Phase and Nimble CP passives reduces damage done to you and raises your resists.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Roll Dodging with Phase and Nimble CP passives reduces damage done to you and raises your resists.

Doing it with Tactician CP passive also sets the enemy off-balance, making all those Armor of Truth heavy attack builds work.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My friend has a memorable story of a dodgeroll ganker who whipped his ass in PvP. The imagery is still the funniest thing in the world
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get out of stupid.
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To get rid of stamina
  • Wrubius_Coronaria
    Wrubius_Coronaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @LordSemaj for your usefull answer.
    Edited by Wrubius_Coronaria on January 26, 2018 10:09AM
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To dodge a wrench, because if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball
  • Its_Alexis
    Its_Alexis
    ✭✭✭
    In PvE, to get out of the big red circle if you're too slow to react/block.
    PC NA

Alexis Light - Breton Templar DD
    Likes-To-Tank - Argonian Dragonknight Tank
    Pauline Storm - Altmer Sorcerer DD
    Thunder gro-Lightning - Orc Sorcerer Speedster
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majority

@Caitsith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • Wrubius_Coronaria
    Wrubius_Coronaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Wrubius_Coronaria on January 26, 2018 10:09AM
  • TheUrbanWizard
    TheUrbanWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    If u have a bow it gives u major expedition
  • Shezzarrine
    Shezzarrine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LadyLavina wrote: »
    majority

@Caitsith

@LadyLavina read my message above, it answer perfectly to your message. You don't even deserve one awesome for your outdated meme.

It's unbelievable and sad to see in this forum dedicated to ESO the MAJORITY of the answers are useless and bring absolutely nothing.

To all those rude peoples, if participate to a thread bother so much, then avoid it. And unchain your bitterness, your anger or whatever irl agaisnt a punching ball, not on forum.

The Princess Bride is NEVER outdated
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you dodge roll while wearing senche and way of air you get a hefty damage boost, for what that's worth.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majority

@Caitsith

@LadyLavina read my message above, it answer perfectly to your message. You don't even deserve one awesome for your outdated meme.

It's unbelievable and sad to see in this forum dedicated to ESO the MAJORITY of the answers are useless and bring absolutely nothing.

To all those rude peoples, if participate to a thread bother so much, then avoid it. And unchain your bitterness, your anger or whatever irl agaisnt a punching ball, not on forum.

@Caitsith "someone memed me while disagreeing so the forums are useless(in all caps). Only my opinons are correct, reeee"
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has really nobody mentioned yet that a dodgeroll gets you out of root-effects? Roots can't be cc-broken but only dodgerolled out of or cleansed.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    Has really nobody mentioned yet that a dodgeroll gets you out of root-effects? Roots can't be cc-broken but only dodgerolled out of or cleansed.
    This for lots of effects dogeroll work better than break free, it also take you out of stupid.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a few people have been telling you the purposes of dodge-roll.

With certain builds and passives, you gain benefits for dodge rolling, such as setting the enemy off-balance, increasing resists.

In PVE, dodge-roll is primarily used to get out of "stupid" (the colloquial term for environmental damage/boss AOEs that only stupid players stand in and take avoidable damage).

In PVP, dodge-roll is used to dodge certain skills, break free of certain effects, get out of the way of an opposing group's pain train, or move without getting locked down.

When I dodge-roll in PVP, whether its on my MagDK healer or my StamWarden DPS, I'm most often using it to get out of the way of something I don't want to be in - a destro ulti pain train, a bomber, or a negate - and dodge roll is the quickest, most efficient way for me to do that.

(If what you actually wanted to know was closer to "What's the point of dodge-roll in 1v1s when there are undodgeable skills?" that's a whole different matter and I'll let the duelists talk about that.)
  • AngelFires333
    AngelFires333
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fun.
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Waste of stamina, never do it!
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    nothing....it'll get nerfed too, so will The Princess Bride. :)

To save ya booty, buffs, debuffs, leave a bomb, and to look like a ninja.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LordSemaj wrote: »
    Jaraal wrote: »

Doing it with Tactician CP passive also sets the enemy off-balance, making all those Armor of Truth heavy attack builds work.

While Armor of Truth is cool and all, Off Balance is extremely powerful even by itself. Your next heavy attack against an Off Balance target will be dealing 75% more damage and if you have the Exploiter PC passive you get 10% more damage for the duration of the debuff.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The purpose is to roll...
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Majority of skills can be dodged. OP is exaggerating.

Edit: I did not answer his question. The purpose is to actively avoid damage. This is the correct answer though I expect others have stated the similar.
    Edited by idk on January 22, 2018 5:33AM
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The point of the roll?

Simple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Wrubius_Coronaria
    Wrubius_Coronaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Wrubius_Coronaria on January 26, 2018 10:08AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majority

@Caitsith

@Caitsith "someone memed me while disagreeing so the forums are useless(in all caps). Only my opinons are correct, reeee"

Not even close from truth. :)

I don't have any problems for accept differents points of view than mine. And I never though that I have the ultimate truth, I have my own opinion, among many others points of views from others peoples there, and I'm able change my point of view if I'm aware it's fasle or uncomplete while watching facts and logical reasoning. The thing I disagree with is answers that bring absolutely nothing except the purpose of giving an answer and hoping at the same farming fews forums points. But I'll remember now this forum is flooded by memes answers and wannabe trolls spending their time by posting silly memes and punchlines more or less funny while usefulls answers are drowned by these kind of messages.

So did you get your question answered, OP, or are you just going to continue to judge the quality of responses to your simple, totally non-biased question as if the ratio of signal to noise hasn't always been terrible on a video game forum?
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »

Depends on sets you use. Also, sometimes in PvE if you do not dodgeroll, you die. Guess in PvP you can get away from some ground effects as well.

Theres also a set where if you roll dodge through enemies it will knock them down.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.