The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Frostcaster, Buoyant, and Hollowjack: The UnDye'ables

johnnified
johnnified
✭✭✭
I want to be able to turn my white ice into a pink, blue and whatever other ice I want with my frost caster. I don't give a damn what anyone says. I want to be able to dye EVERY part of it.

What the hell is a the point of finally being able to dye weapons if I can't really dye it?

I paid 2000 crowns FOR Frostcaster and now I can't even use the system to really dye anything major on the weapons. I feel cheated with the new outfit system.
Edited by johnnified on January 20, 2018 11:49AM
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes 100% agree. Fell in love with the buyant armiger style when I saw it and after 2 weeks of farming I luckily found the chest motif only to find out that the green isnt dyeable. Very disappointing
    Edited by GaunterODim on January 19, 2018 5:16AM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with this as well. There are lots of cool colors we could make.
    Edited by Apache_Kid on January 19, 2018 5:47AM
  • johnnified
    johnnified
    ✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    I agree with this as well. There are lots of cool colors we could make.
    Yes 100% agree. Fell in love with the buyant armiger style when I saw it and after 2 weeks of farming I luckily found the chest motif only to find out that the green isnt dyeable. Very disappointing

Happy to see I am not the only one feeling this way.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, absolutely. Really a lot of things need a second pass when it comes to dyes, including the fundamentals of how the system itself works. There are so many armors with missing dye slots (despite have VERY OBVIOUS opportunities for more) or bad choices for what the slots actually dye. Like, the entire Order of the Hour motif could use a rework, probably. There's all this beautiful trim on the armor except it just dyes with the main body slot and the two other dyes are used for these tiny pieces of cloth, for some reason?? And don't get me started on the heavy shoulders, yikes!! Literally a single dye slot, despite having multiple pieces and obvious trim.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprised Hollowjack was left out of this list ... it’s a very strong candidate too.
  • johnnified
    johnnified
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised Hollowjack was left out of this list ... it’s a very strong candidate too.

Editing the title.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would like this, and for them to fix the textures for all of the parts you can dye so we can get more of a WYSIWYG when applying colors to the armor.

There are so many armors and costumes that when you dye them you get a muddy color instead of the indicated color, and it is really annoying. At least now we can preview how the armor looks in the outfitting system before we create it, so if it doesn't dye the way we want it to we can move on without wasting materials.
    Edited by kojou on January 19, 2018 3:21PM
    Playing since beta...
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can dye glass. Granted, the actual glass tend to be a pain to get a decent color from, but the motif has full color channel access.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do these dye any better when used in the PTS outfitting system?
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Posted this in another thread in general. Relevant here.
    heaven13 wrote:
    It seems really unfortunate that, after all this time, none of the costumes/armor appear to have a uniform base texture that color gets applied to. One color will look great on x, but horrible on y. With the outfit system coming next update, it's even more unfortunate that these textures have such poor quality control and aren't reliable.

When dye is supposed to be one of the selling points of a sub, it shouldn't be this much of a hit and miss.

Same with undyeable sections. Really unfortunate, especially given the coming system. The textures really should be updated and redone for reliable, consistent results throughout.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • static_recharge
    static_recharge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here here! (Means I agree fully)
  • johnnified
    johnnified
    ✭✭✭
    Do these dye any better when used in the PTS outfitting system?

No, that is why I have posted it in the PTS server forum.

The new outfitting system does not allow you to die the blades of your weapons and the ice parts of your armor.

I paid 2,000 crowns for Frostcaster. If they are going to implement this whole "Now you can dye weapons!!" crap, then I should be able to have a PINK ICE SWORD (Or blue, green, etc). I paid 2000 crowns for a motif I can't properly dye, and now with a new outfit dye system coming out, it shouldn't be too hard to do it.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here here! (Means I agree fully)

To be the smart alec that no one likes: it is "Hear, hear!" if you wanted to use the phrase used in british parliament to indicate agreement during a speech.
    Edited by Leandor on January 20, 2018 12:06PM
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Was so ready to turn bouyant into ber armor but alas not happening
  • Alp
    Alp
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think.. lore wise it makes sense that you can't dye stalhrim and glass because its how it naturally looks and its a partially transparent material so might be hard to paint. But from a gameplay perspective sure why not..
  • VilniusNastavnik
    VilniusNastavnik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alp wrote: »
    I think.. lore wise it makes sense that you can't dye stalhrim and glass because its how it naturally looks and its a partially transparent material so might be hard to paint. But from a gameplay perspective sure why not..

Lore wise, a dagger cannot become a longsword.. you would need a good couple dozen daggers to smelt down just to get enough useable metal to reforge.

It would be good I reckon, could change the armor from ice crystals / Green volcanic glass to fire crystals or something else.

The main argument for Armiger armor is this. In ESO they use Green Volcanic Glass, yet Volcanic Glass (obsidian) forms in many colours. Emerald Green (ESO Glass armor), Sapphire blue, jet black (traditional obsidian), even Ruby Red depends on what other minerals forms in it's creation.
    Active Toons:
    NA - VilniusNastavnik - Magsorc DPS - Altmer
    NA - Ko'h Nehko'h - Stamblade Archer - Khajit
    NA - Arwyn Winterlight - MagPlar Healer - Breton
    NA - Urog Blackfang - DK Tank - Orc
    NA - Elen Windsong - Stamsorc DPS - Bosmer
    NA - Eats-Strange-Fungus - Magden HealzTank- Argonian
    NA - Harwyn Northwind - MagWarden DPS - High Elf
    NA - Raises-Many-Families - Necro HealzTank - Argonian

Picture of my Active Toons.

Obligatory ESO Fashion website plug: Vil's Portfolio
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I don't think anyone bought the styles with dye plans since they were out long before the details of dying were even known. And sure, I can get the desire to dye whatever, but I wouldn't have expected to dye the ice, or the glow, etc in those unique styles.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • johnnified
    johnnified
    ✭✭✭
    Just wished @ZOS_GinaBruno or someone from the team can see this post to tell whether or not this can be considered either for the new update, or changed later on afterwards.

• Alp
    Alp
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alp wrote: »
    The main argument for Armiger armor is this. In ESO they use Green Volcanic Glass, yet Volcanic Glass (obsidian) forms in many colours. Emerald Green (ESO Glass armor), Sapphire blue, jet black (traditional obsidian), even Ruby Red depends on what other minerals forms in it's creation.

The green crystals show up in a mine on Vvardenfell during a quest.

Not saying it wouldn't be nice. Might just be a choice they made. Glass armour has always been green in Elder Scrolls I think, at least the ones I remember. But again.. ebony armour can be dyed, doesn't have to be black, and ebony is actually wood irl, like volcanic glass being black, the games are not a one to one comparison with real-world logic, luckily.

But I am all for more customization.
    Edited by Alp on January 22, 2018 4:04AM
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best way to handle this lore-wise is that paint is magic and we're all extremely colorful superwizards. But only for paint. Maybe if I wish it hard enough, I can finally dye my leather a real white color, instead of this awful light patchy brown.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster