The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Im not a tank if I dont use S/B, LULZ welcome to video games...

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gan Xing wrote: »
    As long as you taunt, can hold the boss reasonably still, and don't die, I won't care too much about the rest.

How you taunt is up to you:
    Puncture - Onehaded & Shield
    Ice Staff Heavy Attack, Trifocus Passive - Destruction Staff
    Inner Fire - Undaunted skill line
    Tormentor set - procs on a charge ability

I don't care which taunt you use, but holding boss aggro is my bare minimum requirement for a tank.

And yet some pugs go into a dungeon claiming to be tank and end up light attacking with a bow the entire way through (this actually happened to me this past week). I gave up trying to be just dps and told him that I would be the tank (despite me not being set up as a tank)

I hear you. I main a tank, so I do not appreciate getting fake tanks when I run dungeons on one of my healers. Its like "I know what you are doing wrong here, buddy."
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    T4T2FR34K wrote: »
    Defilted wrote: »
    As long as you can taunt a boss and not die after doing it, then you can tank in dungeons.

This. Don't forget to crack armor too - lowering phys/spell resist really helps DPS.

Sadly, in ESO, the only skill that does all three (taunt, lower phys resist, and lower spell resist) is pierce armor, a S/B skill. It's not a "video games" thing, it's an ESO thing.

No it is a video game thing...the ONLY thing you need to do is hold agro...via, taunts, dps, etc...AND not die in the process.
    As long as you can taunt a boss and not die after doing it, then you can tank in dungeons.

EXACTLY, thank you!! +1

There are tanks and TANKS. Looks like You belong to the 1st group.
    Edited by Juhasow on December 13, 2017 11:44PM
  • Jamini
    Jamini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jade1986 wrote: »
    Morvane wrote: »
    I'm tired with frost staff tank experiments, new ways to be tank? Bow tank, 2h tank, unarmed tank? No, thnx, and return pls Frost staff to dps

No, it is a perfectly viable magicka tank option. There are more than enough dps options.

perfectly viable.... Ok let’s reevaluate your stance on this. Perfectly viable solo play? Sure. Semi-viable in vet dungeons? Depending on dungeon, then yes.

Viable in trials? No. Stop here lol.

maxresdefault.jpg

I've taken a frost tank through NORMAL trials without issues, even nMoL and nHoF. (Mind, I backbar a shield anyway since the taunt is much cheaper).

Your argument stands for vet trials and vet DLC content, but you can certainly manage normal trials, vet dungeons, and normal DLC with a frost staff.
    Edited by Jamini on December 13, 2017 11:45PM
    "Adapt. or Die."
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. Don't forget to crack armor too - lowering phys/spell resist really helps DPS.

Sadly, in ESO, the only skill that does all three (taunt, lower phys resist, and lower spell resist) is pierce armor, a S/B skill. It's not a "video games" thing, it's an ESO thing.

Using a heavy attack on a frost staff and immediately casting Reaper's Mark would grant all of those things, it would just take a little longer. I do understand that this is Nightblade only however.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Using a heavy attack on a frost staff and immediately casting Reaper's Mark would grant all of those things, it would just take a little longer. I do understand that this is Nightblade only however.

Warden also. Subterreanean Assault have both and it's also AOE.
  • mildlylucid
    mildlylucid
    ✭✭✭
    ...there are many ways to tank...one of them being S/B.
    And you can "dps" [/sarcasm] on a snipe spamming bow/bow build. What's your point...
    Ahhhh, look at all the salt on my table, yummy...you all sound like the dudes who used to tell me "OH you use snipe, your a garbage NB" lulz as ur laying there dead in the dirt. Don't get mad cause someone can do what you do effectively...and don't listen to these cookie cutter forum warriors copying and pasting...lol, get some and get back to me...
    Oh.
    Well you do you and I'll just hope I never group finder into you.
    Another day, another deathtrap.
    PC | NA | CP: 690+
    Main: Littlewill (50) - Khajiit Dragonknight Tank
    Alts:
    Bajzhli-do (50) - Khajiit Stamina Dragonknight DPS
    Tlanir Dro'flayn (23) - Dunmer Magicka Nightblade DPS
    Morgayne Dalodrel (21) - Breton Magicka Templar Healer
    Tumande Stormwatch (20) - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer DPS
    Tamdril Merilyn (5) - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight DPS
    Bjorngrim Ingensen (5) - Nord Warden Tank
    Gwynereth Bonecrusher (4) - Bosmer Stamina Warden DPS
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jamini wrote: »
    Jade1986 wrote: »
    Morvane wrote: »
    I'm tired with frost staff tank experiments, new ways to be tank? Bow tank, 2h tank, unarmed tank? No, thnx, and return pls Frost staff to dps

No, it is a perfectly viable magicka tank option. There are more than enough dps options.

perfectly viable.... Ok let’s reevaluate your stance on this. Perfectly viable solo play? Sure. Semi-viable in vet dungeons? Depending on dungeon, then yes.

Viable in trials? No. Stop here lol.

maxresdefault.jpg

I've taken a frost tank through NORMAL trials without issues, even nMoL and nHoF. (Mind, I backbar a shield anyway since the taunt is much cheaper).

Your argument stands for vet trials and vet DLC content, but you can certainly manage normal trials, vet dungeons, and normal DLC with a frost staff.

Hah! I've taken my frost Warden with a frost staff and S/b into vet dungeons and did fine. I even brought her into a DLC dungeon and did half decently (i mean, it was a pug group and none of us had completed the dungeon before)... we completed it, after 2 hours or so of figuring out mechanics and dying a lot... woulda been faster if we were in TS or discord tho
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why as a tank you wouldn't want to run s/b for the benefit of a second 5 piece anyways.
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict dual shields will become the next tanking meta.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Video of you tanking Vet Trials with no sword and board? If no put a qualification on the statement.

Tanking with no sword and board on normal dungeons and non-DLC Vet dungeons, sure. Doing DLC Vet dungeons with a good group, maybe but you are running with a handicap. Running Vet Trials without sword and board on the tank... I doubt it.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you’re just talking about normal dungeons maybe not. I think a lot of people just get fed up because there are so many fake tanks that are really dps and just want to queue faster. Most people know that the only other taunts are heavy ice staff attack or inner fire, which is fine, so long as you can reliably use inner fire without running out of resources. I’ve tanked with an ice staff and it’s really not great. The amount of time it takes to wind up a heavy attack can mess things up if you lose taunt for some reason or an add runs in and grabs the lock on.
  • Whatzituyah
    Whatzituyah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right now I am thinking a Warden Ice Staff Tank feels very interesting. I will like to talk about it further though.
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like troll bait to me.
    haven't got kicked or criticized in pug for tanking with staff.
  • T4T2FR34K
    T4T2FR34K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »

+1, made me actually laugh out loud!!
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...there are many ways to tank...one of them being S/B.

Sure, in normal contents.. heck, you even need S&B for normal contents. Btw, what is "lulz?"
  • T4T2FR34K
    T4T2FR34K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    Btw, what is "lulz?"
    Laughing at you, not with you.
  • Hixtory
    Hixtory
    ✭✭✭✭

No it is a video game thing...the ONLY thing you need to do is hold agro...via, taunts, dps, etc...AND not die in the process.

EXACTLY, thank you!! +1

NO, if you use frost staff as backbar is OK, but if you are doing both front and back frost staff and you think you only need to maintain aggro as a tank then any decent player should kick you out of the instance.

Tanks jobs are the maintain aggro, buff the group and debuff the target.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaaannnnd this thread is why I have never pugged and never will.
  • Elusiin
    Elusiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ajcorbell wrote: »
    Ughh...right, like the tank that taunts and shield blocks is "better" than the tank who taunts AND does DPS...hmmm...don't think so, next...

The tank who taunts, debuffs the target and buffs his group is the best kind of tank.

So an Ice Staff Tank qualifies for the 'best kind of tank'?

taunt: inner fire, ice staff heavy attack
    debuff: weakness to elements, chilled(almost always triggered with warden)
    group buff: frost cloak, guard, maturation(Green Balance passive)
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ajcorbell wrote: »
    Ughh...right, like the tank that taunts and shield blocks is "better" than the tank who taunts AND does DPS...hmmm...don't think so, next...

The tank who taunts, debuffs the target and buffs his group is the best kind of tank.

So an Ice Staff Tank qualifies for the 'best kind of tank'?

taunt: inner fire, ice staff heavy attack
    debuff: weakness to elements, chilled(almost always triggered with warden)
    group buff: frost cloak, guard, maturation(Green Balance passive)

Frost staff tanking is indeed a valid way to tank, especially with these skills
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Things in normal dungeons don't hit hard enough to warrant using a 1H+S setup on one of your bars, and also enemies have low health, meaning that debuffs are not that important either. I've tanked normal dungeons, including DLC ones, on several characters in DD setup, with only the undaunted taunt slotted. On my Magicka Sorcerer even a few veteran non-DLC ones (ex. Blackheart Haven) when doing jewelry farm runs. However for most veteran dungeons, especially the DLC ones, it's basically mandatory to use 1H+S due to the fact you need all the blocking mitigation to survive hard hits from bosses. Those can make your health yo-yo a lot even when blocking, and clad in at least 5p of heavy armor (ex. Velidreth "corpulence", Earthgore & sons punches etc.)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    coop500 wrote: »
    Let me boil down the 3 main tank choices, regardless of equipment. A off-tank: Taunts, keeps boss still, then focuses on DPS

Actually that's not what an off-tan does. Off-tanks usually tank one or several adds in trials, where those adds need to be kept away from the group due to various things they do. For example:
    - Maw of Lorkaj: Off-tank takes the Savages out of the group due to the resistance debuff they put, one tank takes Vashai and the other S'kinrai, main tank takes Rakkat while off-tank takes the Savage (main tank takes over for short periods to regen armor)
    - Aetherninan Archive (difficult mode): main tank takes the axes, off tank takes de Storm Atronachs and usually the boss, depending on tactic
    - Hel Ra Citadel (difficult mode): main tank takes the Warrior, while off tank takes the Gargoyles and other adds
    - Sanctum Ophidia: main tank takes the Manticora, off-tank goes in the hole and tanks the mini-boss, main tank takes Ozara and the Overcharger, while the off-tank takes the other adds away, main tank takes the Serpent, off-tank takes the Lamias and some of the Manticoras
    An off-tank is never required in 4 man content, with the exception of the last boss in vDSA, when the tank becomes the off-tank, by taking the adds away while the healer tanks the boss.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Whatzituyah
    Whatzituyah
    ✭✭✭✭

I never needed that Samurai Jack gif that scene of him grabbing 2 shields too run through traps more than I do now!
    Edit: someone found the one I did!
    Edited by Whatzituyah on December 15, 2017 1:47AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I never needed that Samurai Jack gif that scene of him grabbing 2 shields too run through traps more than I do now!

Dual Wielding Shields New Tank Meta:
    tumblr_nmcuwyNPtX1qglnd4o1_500.gif
  • Whatzituyah
    Whatzituyah
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised I mean an Unarmed and spear skill lines are not available yet might as well add Dual Wielding Shields!
    Edited by Whatzituyah on December 15, 2017 1:52AM
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But SnB is the best way to do this.... by far.

If you're running anything other snb on your tank, it's a cause for concern. And that includes ice staff

It's like a healer coming in running bow and saying to not write them off because their heals are "amazing". Maybe they can still heal other group members, by would it be as good as if they weren't running resto? Nope

People just misunderstanding core concepts of the game. It's not about "you doing you", it's about achieving the best possible results. The "you do you" game is over there, it's called Hello Kitty. Maybe you should go play that (not directed at you necessarily just for anyone who disagrees with me)
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    S&B looks kewl and just looks tanky thats enough right there. Every thing else is a plus.