The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is it just me, but is the Mighty Chudan Monster Set a 5 piece set in a 2 piece body?

TheDoomsdayMonster
TheDoomsdayMonster
✭✭✭✭✭
I have been contemplating wearing Fortified Brass on my Magplar, and had a realization of something: in a way this 5 piece set is inferior to Mighty Chudan...let me explain.

This is Fortified Brass:

2 piece: 1206 Max Health...
3 piece: 2975 Physical Resist...
4 piece: 2975 Spell Resist...
5 piece: 5170 Physical/Spell Resist...

This is Mighty Chudan:

1 piece: 2975 Spell/Physical Resist...
2 piece: 1206 Max Health; Major Ward/Resolve at all times (5280 Spell/Physical Resist)...

Now think about Chudan (compared to Brass) like this:

2 piece: 1206 Max Health...
3 piece: 2975 Physical Resist...
4 piece: 2975 Spell Resist...
5 piece: Major Ward/Resolve at all times (5280 Spell/Physical Resist)...

When you break it down like above, Mighty Chudan provides everything stat wise that Brass does and then some (110 Spell/Physical Resist more infact), and it only requires 2 armor slots opposed to 5...

Now Brass does have the advantage of stacking with Major Ward/Resolve, but with Chudan, you can slot something else in place of whatever ability you'd slot that would give you Major Ward/Resolve, so it gives you a bit more flexibility imo...

Anyway, just my observation...
Unyeilding Bias
PSN TheLordofMurder
PS4 NA
Magicka Templar
DC
The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's exactly it: chudan gives a free ability slot, brass gives you the ability to use a monster set (BS for example, which is 2 more chudan 1p), stack major ward AND get 5k resists aka making you a tank god.

Brass + BS in medium is actually what a lot of ppl use on stamdk on PC EU. Paired with bone or truth.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The thing is nearly everybody has some access to Major Ward and Resolve. People interested in running Brass usually need more than that. And other would rather use the skill to get it and get some better stuff from Monster set (like bloodspawn)

You will always use hurricane, ice fortress or shadow skill on sorc, warden or NB in PVP.
    Edited by SodanTok on December 12, 2017 12:32AM
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    The thing is nearly everybody has some access to Major Ward and Resolve. People interested in running Brass usually need more than that. And other would rather use the skill to get it and get some better stuff from Monster set (like bloodspawn)

You will always use hurricane, ice fortress or shadow skill on sorc, warden or NB in PVP.

This. Its mostly useless unless your character has no access to major ward/prot. Fortified brass stacks with your major ward/prot and thats what makes this set so strong. No one is casting an ability that ONLY gives major ward, so you arent really saving an ability slot.
    Edited by Dreth on December 12, 2017 1:08PM
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Dreth Both morphs of spiked armor are virtually useless, on the one hand you gain a damage shield for 7% (in pvp, in pve 15%) of your max health for 2.5 seconds, on the other separate but equally *** hand you release a weak AoE on cast. so yeah, for stam dk chiudon is pretty sweet
    Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
    Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
    Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
    Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
    Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
    Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
    Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
    Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
    Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
    Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
    Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
    Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    @Dreth Both morphs of spiked armor are virtually useless, on the one hand you gain a damage shield for 7% (in pvp, in pve 15%) of your max health for 2.5 seconds, on the other separate but equally *** hand you release a weak AoE on cast. so yeah, for stam dk chiudon is pretty sweet

Yeah they are pretty weak I agree, but I always have them slotted on my mDK. I would still run Bloodspawn over Chudan and slot armor due to the ultigen and the 6000(?) stackable resist it procs. Immovable is another option if you are in heavy which gives CC immune as well. There are just such valuable monster sets out there that are too good to pass up just for major ward imo.
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Dreth to each their own, I'm just glad people haven't come asking for the nerf to it. that's one set that I really like in the game and even though I play all classes and specs I would be lying if I said I didn't have a stamina bias. so as a stam dk, we really don't have the resources to use magika for our cc, for our wings, for our major ward/resolve. its ridiculous, even with 16k mag on a stam dk (full tri glyphs) it would be really difficult for me to maintain an offensive presence. now if fossilize (or stonefist now with fossilize nerf RIP) cost stamina and dealt physical/poison damage, then I could see about maybe throwing on spiked armor.

All that said though, I see a lot of people still using spiked armor so good on them. just for me it simply doesn't work.
    Side note- another reason I like chiudon is that your guard is always up, you have much better survivability vs gankers (even though in recent months the whole gank game has been significantly nerfed)
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a DK, the reason to run spiked armor is not only for the protection but also the additional 12% healing. This is huge!!
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Rohaus simply flap wings before burst heal, makes you reflect some projectiles (list keeps getting shorter and shorter tho). if your mag dk youll have dragons blood up most of the time for your heals anyway. I'm not saying its completely useless because I see many people playing with it but for me that leads to more defensive play and not really a whole lot of offensive opportunity since our cc is also mag based.
    to each their own tho.
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @scipionumatia

I should have stipulated that for a Stam DK, spiked armor is probably even more important... rotation for me is to always Igneous before I hit Vigor provided I feel I have enough time to do so... else I will vigor and then igneous... and because I always have spiked armor up... I don't have to worry so much about that... that 12% additional healing is always running for me.

And, the point being made up above was using Chudan over spiked over to open up a slot... I know that Igenous has seen its fair share of nerfs... but I still think the skill is pretty strong... small bubble but a bubble nonetheless and 3 seconds of strong healing.

Anyways... it's all about what you are facing I suppose... I still think that for DK whether it be Mag or Stam, the best monster helm set hands down is Blood Spawn!
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Side note- another reason I like chiudon is that your guard is always up, you have much better survivability vs gankers

This is a huge reason why I use Chudan; your guard is always up...

Yes, every class has access to Major Ward/Resolve, but having an ability on your tool bar that grants those buffs means nothing if you get burst down before you can cast them...

And its not just Nightblade gankers that Chudan is great against; its great against bombers as well...

I cant tell you the number of times that I survived a bomb blades kill attempt against my group (while others were killed) due to wearing Mighty Chudan...

Anyway, me and you see eye to eye on this...

There is great value to having Major Ward/Resolve active on your character at all times...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on December 12, 2017 10:29PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean, in the end of the day, I can just wear fortified brass, and get those buffs from passives or active skills, I will end up with way higher resistances.
    And on top of that I can wear another monster set. so, win win.

If you want a more detailed answer, I seriously don't benefit from chudan as a Dk. the moment I drop volatile armor I lose a ton of healing.
    because DK passives.
    ıts not helping me in any way to wear chudan over using volatile armor.
    And nightblades get those resistance buffs for free, just because they are in a fight.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on December 13, 2017 1:03PM
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just about all of the monster 2-piece sets are as good as a normal 5-piece

I'm a fan of chudan, but only a DK or NB really get much use out of it. The other classes get too much other good stuff with their armor buff IMO
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been contemplating wearing Fortified Brass on my Magplar, and had a realization of something: in a way this 5 piece set is inferior to Mighty Chudan...let me explain.

bla,bla, bla

When you break it down like above, Mighty Chudan provides everything stat wise that Brass does and then some (110 Spell/Physical Resist more infact), and it only requires 2 armor slots opposed to 5...

Now Brass does have the advantage of stacking with Major Ward/Resolve, but with Chudan, you can slot something else in place of whatever ability you'd slot that would give you Major Ward/Resolve, so it gives you a bit more flexibility imo...

Anyway, just my observation...

okay we get the point
    it needs a NERF
    ZOS you hear it! Here is a call for another nerf!!!

Nerf it now
    Nerf it now
    Nerf it now