The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Visually, does the Nix-Ox mount make you feel....itchy?

Sheezabeast
Sheezabeast
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Visually, does the Nix-Ox mount make you feel....itchy?
Edited by Sheezabeast on November 25, 2017 1:47AM
Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!

Visually, does the Nix-Ox mount make you feel....itchy? 103 votes

Oh no, I've had my flea dip thank you! *flicks tail*
8%
AlchemicalBelegnoleSheezabeastdarkstar2084MgghoolJakhajayKrainor1974SilverIce58TheUndeadAmulet 9 votes
No, there's nothing making my scalp itch at all! *itches once impulsively*
7%
StovahkiinBananajwarren68parkelInnocentOfCrimeBloodPawsGrim_SlaughterfishAutumnhart 8 votes
I love this beautiful bug, I have no visceral reaction.
60%
dodgehopper_ESOxaraanTryxusixieAlienSlofeklhaftb16_ESOstatic_rechargeWitarvrineYukon2112Rosveensparafucilsarwb17_ESOfalcasternub18_ESObottleofsyrupDarkheartninjaguymanBluepitbull13SapherisToRelaxNolaArch 62 votes
They creep me out, man! *itches neck like a junky*
23%
ssewallb14_ESOMorgha_KulStreegaMornaBaineUnlikely_GhostbusterAnoVandoCillion3117LileyBomblePantsCrypticalIncognitiusRunefangTruthSeekerMorgul667MAEKVapirkonecr0ovictoriana-blueccfeelingSolohope 24 votes
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the damn thing. Of all the things ESO has so "kindly" given me that I had no interest in having, this one is by far the most disgusting. My Dunmer would have preferred yet another reskinned "special" guar, thank you very much.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. And I have lived through an actual flea infestation (years ago).
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭

What do you describe as a flea infestation?
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not really, but I did have an encounter with an overly friendly grasshopper today that certainly made me paranoid and itchy afterwards D;
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the nix ox doesn't.
    But you talking about itching does :p
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urza1234 wrote: »

What do you describe as a flea infestation?

They were in the carpets. My feet and legs were covered in flea bites in under a week, and it took a couple weeks to get it under control. Interestingly, flea bites actually produce a burning sensation. Still remember I'd walk into the bathroom, and see the little ****s jumping ship in the shower.

Man **** that place, and the ****ers who would let their cats wander in and out, then bring them into my house.
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who like animals, science and roleplay, I always want to know what the fantasy animals eat, how smart are they, their way of reproduction...
    For the nix-ox I wonder do they suck blood like flea? If they do, then probably not a good domesticated animal, since it cost a lots of blood to feed a gaint flea like that. Even wolves and senches... carnivore in general, are expensive to upkeep. Horses eat grass, guars eat worms... a lots cheaper.

Also what do echatere eat? Their face look like squirrel but I don't think nuts are enough for those big bone. They have hook legs so probably to dig up roots. How smart are nixad? Can you train them to steal for you? And then the netch, which despite all logic and you just have to accept it.

I wish we can have an article one day one the main page where a dev talk about this.
    Edited by TheDarkShadow on November 25, 2017 5:38AM
  • Alchemical
    Alchemical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also what do echatere eat? Their face look like squirrel but I don't think nuts are enough for them. They have hook legs so probably to dig up roots.

There is a quest in Wrothgar that involves getting an echatre to find mushrooms for you, so I would assume they're more akin to pigs/boars except they have tusks for hands. And I believe one of the orcs mention that their pointy legs help them keep traction on the steep, icy hills.

I agree, it would be fun for them to talk a bit more about animals in depth, like an actual biologists. There are characters in game that do this to some extent, and there are some books, but one of the primary reasons I play ESO (and Elder Scrolls in general) is the world building and feeling immersed. I want to believe these are real, possible creatures that COULD exist. Just like those old Discovery Channel documentaries about how flying, firebreathing dragons could theoretically be feasible.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who like animals, science and roleplay, I always want to know what the fantasy animals eat, how smart are they, their way of reproduction...
    For the nix-ox I wonder do they suck blood like flea?

Yes, or at least the Nix-Hound does. It seems likely the Nix-Ox does as well.
    Feeding:
    Nix-hounds are voracious eaters. After emerging from its chrysalis, a baby nix can drain at least four comparably sized creatures per day! Be sure to rinse your pet's proboscis after every meal, as the scent of fresh fluids can attract wild nixes.

Baby guars, goats, kwama pupae, and ash hoppers are all excellent sources of nutrition. Just be sure to get rid of those pesky meat-husks when you're done. A drained animal is the perfect treat for wild alits, and no one wants an ornery ball of teeth wandering around their yard!

One final note at this crucial stage in development. It's very important to keep small children and other pets away from your new companion. Baby nixes are very curious, and won't hesitate to spear smaller creatures in search of food. An innocent case of mistaken identity can result in tragedy, so keep an eye on your little ones!

Imperial Library Link here: https://www.imperial-library.info/content/nix-hounds-manual-new-owners
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the first answer, but... no, this creature is disgusting, I wouldn't touch it with a stick. I like spiders, beetles, ants, earthworms, but parasites make me sick (well, obviously). I lived in Moscow for some time and one of the most vivid memories I have is the stench of cockroaches in the hotel - I can smell the smell when I see a nix-ox *cringe* Also, I often treat animals infested by fleas and mites, so giant fleas jumping in ESO make me want to put the game away until the novelty fades.
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looks absolutely horrific, not suprised it is free.

Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fond of all creatures in the game, so no unusual reactions when I see it.

EDIT:
    I wish we can have an article one day one the main page where a dev talk about this.
    Agree, that would be fascinating.
    Edited by menedhyn on November 25, 2017 7:33AM
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For the nix-ox I wonder do they suck blood like flea? If they do, then probably not a good domesticated animal, since it cost a lots of blood to feed a gaint flea like that. Even wolves and senches... carnivore in general, are expensive to upkeep. Horses eat grass, guars eat worms... a lots cheaper.

Also what do echatere eat? Their face look like squirrel but I don't think nuts are enough for those big bone. They have hook legs so probably to dig up roots. How smart are nixad? Can you train them to steal for you? And then the netch, which despite all logic and you just have to accept it.

In Vvardenfell it looked like the Nix-Ox were eating the Anemones I believe.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think it's hideous.
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it, would've been even better if it was more... slimy :trollface:
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the Nix-Hounds suck blood. There's a book you can read that's about Nix-Hound care and it's pretty funny. Nix-Ox mouth parts don't look like they suck blood though.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that for a free mount they did design it well, even though it looks like a giant flee <3
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no other mount in the game right now that's better for riding around the swamps of Shadowfen or navigating over the rocks in Cyro. Definitely the best mount to use rapids with. It's a dream come true.
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best looking mounts currently. So cute and cuddly <3
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't look flea-like enough for me to get itchy at it. The head is all wrong, the body shape is all wrong, the legs are wrong. I've had to deal with flea infestations, I'm too well acquainted with how they really look. The nix-ox looks most like a camel cricket, of any real life bug, with wrong legs, and I'm not bothered by those. Some of my friends are, though! One of my friends calls camel crickets "jumpy shrimp" and says if you touch one you're ritually unclean for ten years.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope but passing close to a khajiit is another story
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These particular mounts don’t exactly make me itch, but rather make me feel uncomfortable. I can understand the why some people may be into them, as they tie into the lore of Morrowind and its Dunmer people. But, I for 1 find them rather disturbing and disgusting.

Hmm... This makes me feel like I’m connecting to my main character which is an Altmer. Looking down upon other race’s customs and traditions as barbaric and unsettling. Oh my...
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really know what to make of it, but I'm not disgusted by it, either.

What I really love about it, as someone else has mentioned, is that it is the smoothest ride in all of Tamriel! I feel like I won some shady, underground pimp-my-ride prize.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not of a fan of the way the legs move.
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything nix related needs to be put to the torch.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it to ESO players to complain about a free mount.