The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is Penetration THE MOST Important Thing In PvP?

madeeh91rwb17_ESO
madeeh91rwb17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
In PvP all the damage numbers you see on the enemy from your hits are always far far smaller than what the tooltip says, or what you see in PvE.

A Wrecking Blow that absolutely Wrecks mobs outside of Cyrodil, hardly does half of that damage inside Cyrodil.

Doesn't that mean that penetration alone is the single most important thing in PvP?
Even if you don't increase your damage dramatically with high damage sets, and just focus on you penetration. And manage to penetrate around 90% of the damage of your simple tool tip, that would do wonders.

So why bother wearing high damage sets.
Many would say that a sharp trait and champion points in penetration etc are enough. But are they? Cause it doesn't to be the case.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Penetration wouldn't make my top 3 tbh.

It is a purely offensive stat, and is only useful VS unshielded opponents, and can be wasted if you go too heavily into it.

Of course, it is important to get a bit of it, given that it is a multiplicative damage amp, but I wouldn't go Sharpened over Nirnhoned.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/212035/pc-mac-patch-notes-v2-1-4#latest
    The Battle Spirit buff has been adjusted and now has 50% more damage reduction, 50% less healing received, and 50% less damage shield strength.

Read. Learn. It has nothing to do with penetration.
  • madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have started to run:
    - 1 kragh
    - 5 NMG
    - 5 Spriggan's
    With a Sharp Greatsword

Probably too much.
    I was thinking of getting a Nirn greatsword, but the damage is not getting through enough. Especially against HA builds.
  • Jake1576
    Jake1576
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have started to run:
    - 1 kragh
    - 5 NMG
    - 5 Spriggan's
    With a Sharp Greatsword

Probably too much.
    I was thinking of getting a Nirn greatsword, but the damage is not getting through enough. Especially against HA builds.

Penetration is nice but if its the only thing you build for it will be a waist i believe there is a cap on how much penetration actually works then the rest is just extra you will also need a decent amount of stamina and weapon damage if you are playing stamina that is in order to have good damage damage is a combination of all three factors penetration how high your weapon damage or spell damage is and how high your magicka and stamina pool are spriggans and a few champion points into the penetration passive is what i do to get enough penetration then the rest i put into mighty and critical and master of arms and i wear max stamina enchants with everything divines medium running warrior mundus for weapon damage it seems to work better if you spec for all three
    Edited by Jake1576 on November 21, 2017 10:43AM
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you people not realize that the OP is mistaking Battle Spirit for a penetration issue?
    A Wrecking Blow that absolutely Wrecks mobs outside of Cyrodil, hardly does half of that damage inside Cyrodil.

Context clues.

• Jake1576
    Jake1576
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urza1234 wrote: »
    Do you people not realize that the OP is mistaking Battle Spirit for a penetration issue?

Context clues.

Yes i realized that but the op also thinks making a build just around penetration is a good idea and was asking why it wouldn't be that's the reason i gave my opinion on their question
    Edited by Jake1576 on November 21, 2017 11:39AM
  • madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Urza1234 wrote: »

I did not know what Battle Spirit is.

From the looks of it. Battle Spirit entails that your Damage, Shields and Healing are all halved in PvP.
    Right?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct. From Support: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33692/kw/battle spirit

How do I turn off Battle Spirit?
    Updated 05/25/2017 12:57 PM
    There is no way to turn off Battle Spirit. This buff applies to everyone that participates in AvA.

It gives the following boons:

Increase Health by 5000.
    Reduce damage taken by 50%.
    Reduce healing received and damage shield strength by 50%.
    Increase range of abilities with greater than 28m range by 8m in Cyrodiil.

Battle Spirit increases your health and reduces damage taken, which is why we can PVP and not feel like we're all made of tissue paper. But Battle Spirit also reduces healing and shields, which is why we don't feel like we are fighting with wet noodles.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are fewer people running heavy armor this patch due to the reduction of sustain in Morrowind - cost reduction CP eliminated, recovery CP almost halved - and also changes for armor active abilities, that now require 5 pieces of that armor type to work, a changed introduced in the last patch, and to a lesser degree the elimination of Wrath passive. People wearing 5/1/1 have around 10/15K physical resistance and those wearing 1/5/1 around 13/18K. So something between 10-12K penetration would not be wasted, but stacking weapon/spell damage or maximum magicka/stamina would probably make for an effective build. Running 2 penetration sets in PvP would be overkill on any class, and running it on a class that has major fracture in its kit like NB, DK or Warden will not be very effective. Those are better off wearing 1 damage + 1 sustain set, ex. Hunding + Bone pirate or something similar.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • DosPanchos
    DosPanchos
    ✭✭✭
    Pen is the best for increasing pure damage but it has drawbacks e.g., useless w shields and doesn't affect healing or bleeds. Pound for pound it will increase damage more than weapon damage in many cases e.g. W/O damage amplification abilities slotted the pen mundus stone will do a solid bit more damage than the damage mundus.

But! In real play you have damage amps, bleeds, shields, heals... so, it seems damage is king (nirnhoned mainhand) but pen is still really important.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    penetration is very strong in PVP from a pure damage perspective. However, stacking weapon/spell damage and max stats will improve your damage AND healing. It's for that reason that you don't want to stack penetration until you've got good base damage anyway
  • madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the valuable input every one.
    Much appreciated.
  • Barbaran
    Barbaran
    ✭✭✭✭
    not THE most important, however.
    with a friends test the damage of your abilities.
    then go grab the lover mundus and test the same abilities again and see what it does for your damage
    Edited by Barbaran on November 21, 2017 6:10PM
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    high base damage, heal on hit, crit resist, mobility, cc, max stat then penetration...
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • Dredlord
    Dredlord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends if it's THE MOST important thing. What are your priorities? Damage or survivability? How is your max stat/spell damage or weapon damage? We need more details before the question can be answered
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most important thing is CC IMO.

Second most important thing is your crouch button. Sometimes after I beat someone, my crouch button glitches out and starts spamming itself. It’s a known bug.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• BroanBeast1215
    BroanBeast1215
    ✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    Most important thing is CC IMO.

Second most important thing is your crouch button. Sometimes after I beat someone, my crouch button glitches out and starts spamming itself. It’s a known bug.

same here.
    Edited by BroanBeast1215 on November 22, 2017 3:42PM
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The woes of a non nightblade ganker...spamming crouch, not going anywhere, just to finally get into sneak and get pulled out by a ranged hit...and die shortly afterword. Wish sneak worked better for non nightblades...
  • rimmidimdim
    rimmidimdim
    ✭✭✭
    I think penetration is pretty important in PvP. However just know that penetration does nothing against damage shields. Also does nothing for healing.

Example, choice, run sriggans set or drauger set? Well spriggans will out damage heavy armor opponents and im sure medium armor opponents. But, drauger will do better against damage shields and healing.

Pick your choice of play. Cheers.
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Penetration THE MOST Important Thing In PvP

that's not what she said ... :D ohh wait... :s
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."