The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Feel free to laugh at me!

VirtualElizabeth
VirtualElizabeth
✭✭✭✭
Explain what is meant by "burst" when it comes to pvp? lol.

What classes have good burst and why?
@ElizabethInTamriel
NA/PC
Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burst means you can stack enough damage to burst down another player with your initial attack to either one-shot them or only needing a quick followup attack to finish them off.

Those builds are often themselves rather squishy and can be easily killed which is why many of them rely on stealth to keep them alive.
    smile.gif

PS: Nightblades are a good example for that ...

Edited by SirAndy on November 17, 2017 8:26PM
  • wyterice24b14_ESO
    wyterice24b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    "Grabs popcorn"
    Happy Patch day!
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several damage abilities occiring simultaneously

I.e. Curse, Wrath, and frag hitting at once
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @SirAndy Mag nightblades for example?

@Waffennacht Is this opposed to like the Magplar which is larger DOT or how I play it. Basically all the skills can hit the player fairly quickly with its major amount of damage on the front end, as opposed to DOT.

LOL yeah I have been playing this game for years in PVP, largely as a Magplar though.
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with your assessment
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine you bought a pizza pie. In pve, you take your time eating the entire pie, but being careful to not go too slow (sustained dps).

Now in PvP, your going to want to eat that entire pizza all at once lol. Then when it's done, your going to do it again and again until you bathe in the blood of your enemies!
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magplars are not known for their burst. But if you apply purifying light, put consistent pressure on the target with sweeps, and then dawnbreaker them right before the purifying light goes off you can generate some burst and get a target low for radiant to finish them off.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SirAndy Mag nightblades for example?

Yeah, both Stamblades and Magblades can be used for a good burst character.
    ninja.gif
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

YAY! So in some ways "damage" in this game falls into two categories: DOT and burst.

Now with the Stam Warden - this class has great burst because of birds and couple other things that hit hard and fast. Would the beetles fall into this category? I mean they are delayed slightly but you could hit the beetles then the birds for the damage to hit almost at the same time or very close together.
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Imagine you bought a pizza pie. In pve, you take your time eating the entire pie, but being careful to not go too slow (sustained dps).

Now in PvP, your going to want to eat that entire pizza all at once lol. Then when it's done, your going to do it again and again until you bathe in the blood of your enemies!

Yeah! For my PVE friends I have to explain to them their complicated "rotations" (really not that complicated but you know what I mean) should be replaced with combos i.e quick and easy stacking of skills for the max benefit.
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Magplars are not known for their burst. But if you apply purifying light, put consistent pressure on the target with sweeps, and then dawnbreaker them right before the purifying light goes off you can generate some burst and get a target low for radiant to finish them off.

Yup which is why I always equipped for even balance of sustain and damage with my sets. So when I start looking at other builds for other classes and I see little sustain I get scared and run awayyyyyyyyy.
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Every class is capable of good burst. "Burst" just refers to having several instances of damage occuring so quickly that the opposing player has little or no time to react, as opposed to slowly whittling them down.

If you're on magplar, then you have plenty of burst potential. What you want to look for are ways to make several abilities hit at once. Purifying Light is one of the best tools for doing this in the game. Throw up a Purifying Light, DOT up the enemy with Reflective Light and Jabs, then hit them with a CC (bonus points if it's a hard-hitting one like Dawnbreaker of Smiting) just before Purifying goes off, and they will take tremendous damage all at once if you're built right.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @casparian Dawnbreaker on a Magplar? Interesting!

@ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for reiterating my post casparian
    • PC/NA
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Kartalin! I saw yours too. Do you run Dawnbreaker on your Magplar also?
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for reiterating my post casparian

:D I read through the whole thread thinking "how has no one told her about Purifying Light yet?" but somehow skipped right over yours. @VirtualElizabeth Kartalin is a better player than me, listen to them.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run Dawnbreaker on my MagSorc.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

YAY! So in some ways "damage" in this game falls into two categories: DOT and burst.

Now with the Stam Warden - this class has great burst because of birds and couple other things that hit hard and fast. Would the beetles fall into this category? I mean they are delayed slightly but you could hit the beetles then the birds for the damage to hit almost at the same time or very close together.

No.
    It would be "DPS" and burst.
    "DoT" is a damage type, the opposite is "direct damage".

Birds are a dps move. Shalks are meant for burst, you try to time their damage with another high-damaging move, preferrably Dawnbreaker ult.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep, between the damage and the knockdown it’s a very strong ultimate regardless of being a magicka or stamina spec. Crescent Sweep is similar and has a cheaper cost, but the damage and dot are not quite as strong and it doesn’t have the knockdown.

Dawnbreaker is also really painful for vampires and transformed werewolves.
    • PC/NA
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lord-Otto Could you compare "DPS" to like stacking damage i.e throwing your birds over and over and over LOL.
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Birds are a good way of baiting a reaction too, not just putting damage on the opponent.

So if you get a guy who wants to roll dodge all day, and you had birds on that bar, well, send them out to play

giphy.gif
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warden is burst with beetles, birds and anything instant

The term used for "dps" "dots" etc doesn't matter, I typically just call them "brawlers" fighting until your opponent just cannot deal and subcomes to death.

The idea is the same though, long TTK vs Short TTK
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a magblade perspective:

When you engage your opponent in an intimate dance of life and death. As a magblade you have to consistently pump your tool (Merciless Resolve) 5 times in a row to build up adequate burst to achieve the moment of bliss (Kill combo).

You see in a stressful situation when your opponent is being difficult it is not easy to keep the same rhythm. You have you improvise and sort of go into the zone and find your tempo.

Believe me it is very satisfying when you become good at it. At certain skill level you can burst every 5 pumps.

Hope this was helpful.

THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CavalryPK wrote: »
    From a magblade perspective:

When you engage your opponent in an intimate dance of life and death. As a magblade you have to consistently pump your tool (Merciless Resolve) 5 times in a row to build up adequate burst to achieve the moment of bliss (Kill combo).

You see in a stressful situation when your opponent is being difficult it is not easy to keep the same rhythm. You have you improvise and sort of go into the zone and find your tempo.

Believe me it is very satisfying when you become good at it. At certain skill level you can burst every 5 pumps.

Hope this was helpful.
    I like your terminology here

But yes, being in the zone, feels so good. 1.0 The goal of every PvPer
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Lord-Otto Could you compare "DPS" to like stacking damage i.e throwing your birds over and over and over LOL.

The exact definition might appear a bit fluid. If I were to more closely pinpoint it down, I would describe it like this:
    A burst is the sum of high damaging moves that are delivered in a very short sequence, typically not more than a global cooldown (1 second).

In the Stamden's example, let's assume Birds hit for 7k, Shalks for 10k after 2 seconds, Dawnbreaker for 10k when available.
    Spamming Birds would give you 7k DPS and 7k burst. Spamming Shalks would give you 5k dps and 10k burst. Activating Shalks and using a Bird would give you 8.5k dps and a good 17k burst. Using Dawnbreaker on top of that would give you 27k burst - enough to kill.
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep! Subterranian assualt into a heavy attack/ dizzying swing/dawnbreaker/ execute. The first three hit almost at once, the second two during the knockback
    Edited by Emmagoldman on November 17, 2017 9:08PM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this is the easiest Stam burst to line up in the game.

Shalks takes 3s, birds take 1s, dawnbreaker is instant. So...

1s activate shalks
    2s gap close (stampede)
    3s activate bird
    4s activate dawnbreaker - shalks lands - birds land - dawnbreaker lands

The reason why burst is important is because of healing. Most heals are heal over time. The longer the period of time you spread your damage out over, the more time your opponent will have for their heals to tic (and also to land CC on you)
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, between the damage and the knockdown it’s a very strong ultimate regardless of being a magicka or stamina spec. Crescent Sweep is similar and has a cheaper cost, but the damage and dot are not quite as strong and it doesn’t have the knockdown.

Dawnbreaker is also really painful for vampires and transformed werewolves.

Crescent was better when it scaled off mag for magplars. Now it feels we are pigeonholed into Dawnbreaker in certain cases.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great responses all! Thanks to all who have contributed so far!
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

now im hungry.