The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Update on "We're Looking into it" for 2H Weapons/Staves Counting for 2 Slots?

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
How's the investigation going, ZOS? I would love to be able to use a bow and be able to play with this fun 5-5-2 build:

Maw of the Infernal (2)
Defiler (5)
Morkuldin (5)

Because Maw and Morkuldin require light/heavy attacks to proc, it means I have to get up close into melee range and whack away with melee weapons to activate Morkuldin (because I can only slot 4 pieces on my bow bar).
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, I use 2h/bow in both PvE and PvP and I feel the pain of sacrificing a monster 2pc bonus for 2 5pc set bonuses. But, stop asking for this; it's a bad idea. A 2h weapon is A SINGLE WEAPON. Not two items. If they give you this then they are going to nerf those weapon lines; or they are going to make 2 DW weapons count as a single set item, ala the dk stone fist "buff" where they nerfed petrify down to 8m.

If one of these weapon lines is underperforming in some area then it should be addressed specifically with ability buffs.
    Edited by Kanar on October 27, 2017 4:21PM
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanar wrote: »
    Look, I use 2h/bow in both PvE and PvP and I feel the pain of sacrificing a monster 2pc bonus for 2 5pc set bonuses. But, stop asking for this; it's a bad idea. A 2h weapon is A SINGLE WEAPON. Not two items. If they give you this then they are going to nerf those weapon lines; or they are going to make 2 DW weapons count as a single set item, ala the dk stone fist "buff" where they nerfed petrify down to 8m.

If one of these weapon lines is underperforming in some area then it should be addressed specifically with ability buffs.

PFft.. if 2 hand weapon is a single weapon then why do you need to hands to wield it. bwahahahaha
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a 2h weapon is A SINGLE WEAPON, thank you for screaming at me.

Now, why does pair of swords or axes count for two items but not a pair of gloves or boots? I mean if we are so bent on counting the number of items, perhaps we ought to be consistent.

And I'm still not sure why exactly a belt should count as item but not underwear (must this item of clothing be seen?) or say suspenders (must this item of clothing be considered fashionable to be eligible as a set bonus?)

Why aren't quiver/arrows considered items? I mean, the Bow and Arrow are two items (see that, bow and arrow), but somehow it counts as one item set. What's that, it's part of a single weapon system? OK, fine, then why is a sword and shield count separately as it's also part of a single weapon system?

Trying to recognize logic or rationale in ZoS's system is futile because it's anything but. If people like the system, that's fine, but can they please come up with better rationale to defend it because what it usually boils down to is an arbitrary defense of the status quo simply because that's how it has been
  • sly007
    sly007
    ✭✭✭✭

I do not agree. Redargless of how many items make up a set, I believe that the 2handed weapons should be considered towards a the 2 parts of a set bonus. Monster sets are practically a must have. The only weapons that will not benefit from this change would be the unique weapons.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CavalryPK wrote: »

PFft.. if 2 hand weapon is a single weapon then why do you need to hands to wield it. bwahahahaha

Because it's big.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite your disagreement about single item vs two items, the real disagreement is in the mechanics. You guys just aren't considering the tradeoff of a change like this. Are 2h, bow and staves so much underpowered that they need a buff on the level of a 5pc set or 2pc monster set? Bow is mandatory for PvE DPS, 2h is the best melee weapon for PvP and...well its hard to compare staves cause there's no DW equivalent. So if those weapons don't need this much of a buff, then what's gonna happen? That's right a nerf.

Also, this will make the supposed "best" (vMA, master, vSA) weapons comparatively worse, but would they see a buff to make it up?

Finally and this is more subjective, it's good to have some variety in item options. Tradeoff a 5pc set for the advantages of 2h, or go DW? Those types of choices make character building interesting.
    Edited by Kanar on October 27, 2017 6:20PM
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How's the investigation going, ZOS? I would love to be able to use a bow and be able to play with this fun 5-5-2 build:

Maw of the Infernal (2)
    Defiler (5)
    Morkuldin (5)

Because Maw and Morkuldin require light/heavy attacks to proc, it means I have to get up close into melee range and whack away with melee weapons to activate Morkuldin (because I can only slot 4 pieces on my bow bar).

ok so let me state the obvious - choices matter and choices should matter.

To get those three sets all proc at the same time needs you to make certain choices, just like when you decided this was what you wanted to do.

So that particular combo is possibly best suited to your goal using either DW or SnB.

Not going to bother getting into the already explained backbar set choices vs frontbar set choices.

But the broader picture is that this scope of change goes way beyond the minor example you post here and is a major game balance changer for many weapons and even some sets. unless their is a major impbalance issue that cannot be solved with smaller targeted scope adjustments, its silly to make this kind of global change for "the heck of it."

Finally, that way lies sameness... goes further to making weapon choice more cosmetic than meaningfull and more folks able to wear the same 12pc sets... more bland, less diversity... no fun.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update on "We're Looking into it" for 2H Weapons/Staves Counting for 2 Slots?
    Did i miss that memo?
    confused24.gif

Either way, i really hope they don't kill build diversity by making every weapon choice the same.
    dry.gif
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....why does pair of swords or axes count for two items but not a pair of gloves or boots? I mean if we are so bent on counting the number of items, perhaps we ought to be consistent.

And I'm still not sure why exactly a belt should count as item but not underwear (must this item of clothing be seen?) or say suspenders (must this item of clothing be considered fashionable to be eligible as a set bonus?)

Why aren't quiver/arrows considered items? I mean, the Bow and Arrow are two items (see that, bow and arrow), but somehow it counts as one item set. What's that, it's part of a single weapon system? OK, fine, then why is a sword and shield count separately as it's also part of a single weapon system?

Trying to recognize logic or rationale in ZoS's system is futile because it's anything but. If people like the system, that's fine, but can they please come up with better rationale to defend it because what it usually boils down to is an arbitrary defense of the status quo simply because that's how it has been

The logic does have a precedent. This game is an RPG and so hearkens back to the traditions of tabletop gaming created by Gygax, Arneson, et al. From at least as far back as AD&D (from my personal experience) a character has been able to wear 2 magical rings, 1 magical necklace/amulet/neck piece, a pair of gloves, gauntlets or bracers(giving one bonus not two different kinds), a pair of boots. Further, a magical two handed sword did not give a +10 bonus, it gave a max of +5 bonus just like a single sword. You could dual wield 2 +5 longswords in dnd. Likewise you could use a magic sword and magic shield and benefit from both. The only point you're right on is bow, where you can use a magical bow and a quiver (of elhona for example), and you could even use magical arrows.

Since, as you said, it's arbitrary (why no magical panties?) then what makes sense is to fall back on historical precedent. Aka, the history of dungeons and dragons.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, why does pair of swords or axes count for two items but not a pair of gloves or boots?
    Because both gloves and boots always come in pairs and are pretty much useless as single items.

The same is not true for axes or swords ...
    shades.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on October 27, 2017 8:40PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would require rebalancing(nerfing). There would be so many over powered builds in pvp if this was the case.

This is a huge reason 2h isn't used in pve though.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No amount of buff to 2h,bow or stave passives can make up for the choice of having a 5th piece bonus out of 100+ sets in the game.
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fully support the idea of any 2 handed weapon counting as 2 set pieces. It fills 2 of you 12 gear slots on your character window.

With dual wield or sword and shield you can use any 2 5-piece sets, then choose either a monster set or a weapon set (Maelstrom, master, asylum). This works fine since a good weapon set is about as powerful as a good monster set.

With and 2 handed weapon this choice is taken away. No 1-piece monster helm is as effective as a 1-piece weapon set (Maelstrom, Master, Asylum). This is what reduces build diversity, and why monster sets are rarely used on staff, bow, healing, or greatsword builds.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on October 27, 2017 9:48PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    No amount of buff to 2h,bow or stave passives can make up for the choice of having a 5th piece bonus out of 100+ sets in the game.

I disagree here. Imagine if staves or bow did more damage to targets under 25% health? Imagine a two hander doing 15% more damage to stunned, immobilized, disoriented or silenced enemies?
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

I disagree here. Imagine if staves or bow did more damage to targets under 25% health? Imagine a two hander doing 15% more damage to stunned, immobilized, disoriented or silenced enemies?

Its the choice variety Im talking about here. Otherwise they could give a flat 25% damage bonus and call it a day
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Its the choice variety Im talking about here. Otherwise they could give a flat 25% damage bonus and call it a day

You could very much give 2h, bow, and staves distinct advantages that made them feel unique without sacrificing damage.

2h weapons need splash damage to six targets at 100% splash with heavy and light attacks, like staves have.

Staves could have a buff to the passive that procs secondary effects (elemental force).

Bows could receive both critical chance AND critical damage modifier from accuracy.

These are off the top of my head, and are not comprehensive of course.

As for itemization, I tried arguing that a long time ago and was told one sword is one weapon. Now I'm hoping those same folks try to help push the two gloves are two apparel pieces, but so far I've gotten silly responses there too. I guess you could say I've tired of that argument and just want a dang buff to pve 2h weapons already.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on October 27, 2017 10:08PM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough. With current meta the ability to have 12 pieces (so 5/5/2) is far smaller deal than the fact DW
    1. gets to have 2 enchants
    2. gets to have 2 traits
    3. gets to have infused on mainhand that is for some reason affecting offhand enchant
    4. gets to have enchants with same value as on 2H/bow/staff
    5. gets to have infused trait with same value as on 2H/bow/staff
    6. gets to have nirn trait with same value as on bow/staff and technically 2h (its % so same number but bigger gain for 2H)

Those are all things that werent there last time ZoS said they were looking into making 2H as 2 pieces. Not in relevant manner that is (except having 2 enchants, but even the second one was barely proccable I think)
    Edited by SodanTok on October 27, 2017 10:20PM
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not going to happen. Would you be able to use a staff with two different set pieces? How would drops work like that? How do you craft an item from multiple sets? Why do melee users get to use two different sets but everyone else doesn't?
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be a great idea. Every build should have access to a 5/5/2. DW already out DPS's the 2H by 8-9k DPS. The 2H really needs some love.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Its called "data".

Every playtest and every in game live piece of data has been done with these differences already over years of play. That data feeds change and metrics.

The myth that the hundreds of sets makes balancing the game with different set counts impossible or even significantly more difficult is hilarious given how much difference there are between sets and how few actually impact live play.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You have the choice variety now... If you want to use a 5 5 2 build choose weapons and such to support that build.

Its not choice "variety" to get the SAME weapons set count while making DIFFERENT choices... Its the opposite in fact.

Might as well argue for more variety in Neapolitan ice cream by replacing strawberry and chocolate with brown colored vanilla and pink colored vanilla cuz you prefer it to all be vanilla but in white, pink and brown.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This would literally break what little balance we have into oblivion. It will never happen either
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would require rebalancing(nerfing). There would be so many over powered builds in pvp if this was the case.

This is a huge reason 2h isn't used in pve though.

So 2 handers are like wardens?
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a 2h weapon is A SINGLE WEAPON, thank you for screaming at me.

Now, why does pair of swords or axes count for two items but not a pair of gloves or boots? I mean if we are so bent on counting the number of items, perhaps we ought to be consistent.

Come on mate, you’re a talented player you should know that counting 2H wpns as two slots would make them OP and then dw wpns would need a buff and so on. 2H wpns do just fine as they are in both pve and pve. In fact the only wpn set that isn’t doing fine is dw in pvp where it’s only good under very specific circumstances unlike other weapons.
  • craftycarper73
    craftycarper73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

you actually use 1 hand to wield and fire a stave, check it out and be thankful you learned something. ;)

Born, Bred & Made in Manchester UK, RIP 22 Angels. 22/05/2017

PC-EU

The Place by Tony Walsh Please Read
    This is the place in the North West of England

It’s ace, it’s the best and the songs that we sing

From the stands, from our bands set the whole planet shaking

Our inventions are legends! There’s nowt we can’t make and

So we make brilliant music. We make brilliant bands

We make goals that make souls leap from seats in the stands

And we make things from steel and we make things from cotton

And we make people laugh, take the mick summat rotten

And we make you at home and we make you feel welcome

And we make summat happen, we can’t seem to help it

And if you’re looking for history then yes, we’ve a wealth

But the Manchester way is to make it yourself

And make us a record, a new number one

And make us a brew while you’re up, love. Go on!

And make us feel proud that you’re winning the league

And make us sing louder and make us believe it

that this is the place that has helped shape the world

And that this the place where a Manchester girl

Name of Emmeline Pankhurst from the streets of Moss Side

Led a Suffragette City with sisterhood pride

And this is the place with appliance of science

We’re on it, atomic, we strut with defiance

In the face of a challenge we always stand tall

Mancunians in union delivered it all

Such as housing and libraries, and health, education

And unions and co-ops, the first railway station

So we’re sorry! Bear with us! We invented commuters!

But we hope you forgive us – we invented computers!

And this is the place Henry Royce strolled with Rolls

And we’ve rocked and we’ve rolled with our own Northern Soul

And so this is the place to do business, then dance

Where go-getters and goal setters know they’ve a chance

And this is the place where we first played as kids

And me Mam lived and died here, she loved it she did

And this is the place where our folks came to work

Where they struggled in puddles, they hurt in the dirt

And they built us a city. They built us these towns

And they coughed on the cobbles to the deafening sound

Of the steaming machines and the screaming of slaves

They were scheming for greatness, they dreamed to their graves

And they left us a spirit, they left us a vibe

The Mancunian Way to survive and to thrive

And to work and to build, to connect and create and

Greater Manchester’s greatness is keeping it great

And so this is the place now we’ve kids of our own

Some are born here, some drawn here but we all call it home

And they’ve covered the cobbles, but they’ll never defeat

All the dreamers and schemers who still teem through these streets

Because this is a place that has been through some hard times

Oppressions, recessions, depressions and dark times

But we keep fighting back with Greater Manchester spirit

Northern grit, northern wit in Greater Manchester’s lyrics

And there’s hard times again in these streets of our city

But we won’t take defeat and we don’t want your pity

Because this a place where we stand strong together

With a smile on our face, Mancunians Forever

And we’ve got this* as the place where a team with a dream (*Forever Manchester)

Can get funding and something to help with their scheme

Because this is the place that understands your grand plans

We don’t do No Can Do, we just stress Yes We Can!

Forever Manchester’s a charity for people round ‘ere

You can fundraise, donate. You can be a volunteer

You can live local, give local. We can honestly say

We do charity differently, that Mancunian Way

And we fund local kids, and we fund local teams

We support local dreamers to work for their dreams

We support local groups and the great work they do

So can you …help us help… local people like you?

Because this is the place in our hearts, in our homes

Because this is the place that’s a part of our bones

‘Cos Greater Manchester gives us such strength from the fact

That this is the place. We should give something back.

Always remember. Never forget. Forever Manchester.
  • KRBMMO
    KRBMMO
    ✭✭✭✭

Maw of the Infernal (2)
    Defiler (5)
    Morkuldin (5)

"We're looking at ..." seems to be the go-to phrase for Q3 2017.
    "We're looking into the issue with bots"
    "We're looking into concerns about the API"
    "We're looking into balance issues with PvP"
    "We're looking into why walls and floors don't work anymore"

Basically they're just saying "I'll call you." or "Hey, lets have lunch sometime." I don't think they actually mean it.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

you actually use 1 hand to wield and fire a stave, check it out and be thankful you learned something. ;)

That's a great point. Only 2H weapons and the bow should count as a 2 piece then. We'll keep the staff as a 1 piece :tongue:
  • craftycarper73
    craftycarper73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »

That's a great point. Only 2H weapons and the bow should count as a 2 piece then. We'll keep the staff as a 1 piece :tongue:

so what can be used in the other hand you arent using? lets have a look

in films such as LOTR gandolf wields a sword and stave
    in games such as real elder scrolls games (skyrim) you can wield a destruction stave and a healing stave or 2 destruction staves etc
    Born, Bred & Made in Manchester UK, RIP 22 Angels. 22/05/2017

PC-EU

The Place by Tony Walsh Please Read
    This is the place in the North West of England

It’s ace, it’s the best and the songs that we sing

From the stands, from our bands set the whole planet shaking

Our inventions are legends! There’s nowt we can’t make and

So we make brilliant music. We make brilliant bands

We make goals that make souls leap from seats in the stands

And we make things from steel and we make things from cotton

And we make people laugh, take the mick summat rotten

And we make you at home and we make you feel welcome

And we make summat happen, we can’t seem to help it

And if you’re looking for history then yes, we’ve a wealth

But the Manchester way is to make it yourself

And make us a record, a new number one

And make us a brew while you’re up, love. Go on!

And make us feel proud that you’re winning the league

And make us sing louder and make us believe it

that this is the place that has helped shape the world

And that this the place where a Manchester girl

Name of Emmeline Pankhurst from the streets of Moss Side

Led a Suffragette City with sisterhood pride

And this is the place with appliance of science

We’re on it, atomic, we strut with defiance

In the face of a challenge we always stand tall

Mancunians in union delivered it all

Such as housing and libraries, and health, education

And unions and co-ops, the first railway station

So we’re sorry! Bear with us! We invented commuters!

But we hope you forgive us – we invented computers!

And this is the place Henry Royce strolled with Rolls

And we’ve rocked and we’ve rolled with our own Northern Soul

And so this is the place to do business, then dance

Where go-getters and goal setters know they’ve a chance

And this is the place where we first played as kids

And me Mam lived and died here, she loved it she did

And this is the place where our folks came to work

Where they struggled in puddles, they hurt in the dirt

And they built us a city. They built us these towns

And they coughed on the cobbles to the deafening sound

Of the steaming machines and the screaming of slaves

They were scheming for greatness, they dreamed to their graves

And they left us a spirit, they left us a vibe

The Mancunian Way to survive and to thrive

And to work and to build, to connect and create and

Greater Manchester’s greatness is keeping it great

And so this is the place now we’ve kids of our own

Some are born here, some drawn here but we all call it home

And they’ve covered the cobbles, but they’ll never defeat

All the dreamers and schemers who still teem through these streets

Because this is a place that has been through some hard times

Oppressions, recessions, depressions and dark times

But we keep fighting back with Greater Manchester spirit

Northern grit, northern wit in Greater Manchester’s lyrics

And there’s hard times again in these streets of our city

But we won’t take defeat and we don’t want your pity

Because this a place where we stand strong together

With a smile on our face, Mancunians Forever

And we’ve got this* as the place where a team with a dream (*Forever Manchester)

Can get funding and something to help with their scheme

Because this is the place that understands your grand plans

We don’t do No Can Do, we just stress Yes We Can!

Forever Manchester’s a charity for people round ‘ere

You can fundraise, donate. You can be a volunteer

You can live local, give local. We can honestly say

We do charity differently, that Mancunian Way

And we fund local kids, and we fund local teams

We support local dreamers to work for their dreams

We support local groups and the great work they do

So can you …help us help… local people like you?

Because this is the place in our hearts, in our homes

Because this is the place that’s a part of our bones

‘Cos Greater Manchester gives us such strength from the fact

That this is the place. We should give something back.

Always remember. Never forget. Forever Manchester.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »

My Nord could wield (2x) 2 handers, game just won't let him. Puny milk drinkers...
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again I will bring up the example of Guild Wars 2. 2-handed items at release only counted as one piece for sets, then a year later they switched it to 2 pieces.

The forums there were filled with the same arguments of "the game will break", "those weapons will become OP", "it will kill diversity", on and on.

None of it happened. It actually helped diversity since you had more possible combinations of gear, and the game balance didn't get destroyed.

If it means they have to nerf the 8% bonus damage on destro staves, and the final passive in 2H that mirrors the DW one to bring those down a touch, then that's fine with me.