The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Burning Embers Healing

Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
In my experience, Burning Embers will only apply healing if it has entered its damage over time stage (i.e., 1 second after casting), and if the initial hit kills the enemy, no healing is applied to the caster. Is this a bug, or working as intended?
  • WhoThenNow7
    WhoThenNow7
    ✭✭✭
    If you kill the enemy in one hit then why do you need to be healed?
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    you might have a lot of mobs - like trash in dungeons, etc. But this skill is useless for trash. It works Ok for bosses though... It is 10 secs duration, so mob should be at least 200k-300k HP.

-vovus
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    If you kill the enemy in one hit then why do you need to be healed?

It's not a matter of killing them in one hit, but if the last hit is burning embers, and that kills them before going into the DoT phase, then no healing is applied. This means that it is very possible to be at low health and to cast embers for the health, but if the enemy is already at low enough health, then no healing comes from embers.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When Burning Embers runs out, it heals. Shouldn't matter if you kill the target, let it run out naturally or overwrite it.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
    FakeFox wrote: »
    When Burning Embers runs out, it heals. Shouldn't matter if you kill the target, let it run out naturally or overwrite it.

I understand the mechanic of the skill, but I am saying that if i am facing a target with 5k hp left, and my embers hits it for 7k, no healing is applied because the skill was unable to enter its damage over time stage. I'm just wondering if this is a bug, or how the skill was intended to work.

(basically the skill hits for a value, then deals additional damage over times and heals for a percent of the damage done. I just don't know if "the damage done" is also supposed to include the initial hit. In my experience, the initial hit does not factor into the healing received)
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    When in doubt, mash burning embers, that's my motto. I really do love this skill though when surrounded by mobs and losing health quickly
    PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
    Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
    Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
    Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
    Azog the Defiler DD Warden
    When in doubt, mash burning embers, that's my motto. I really do love this skill though when surrounded by mobs and losing health quickly

Same, it's where like 95% of my healing comes from. I'm just trying to find out if I should rethink my strategy when using it against low-health enemies, or if there is a bug that needs to be addressed.
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm good question.

Same, it's where like 95% of my healing comes from. I'm just trying to find out if I should rethink my strategy when using it against low-health enemies, or if there is a bug that needs to be addressed.

oh it's sweet aint it. I like doing inhale, then breath fire, then embers. maximum butt hurt
    PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
    Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
    Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
    Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
    Azog the Defiler DD Warden
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not bugged, working as intended. A fixed percentage of the damage done by the dot will heal you.

Hope this helps, even if it wasnt the answer you were hoping for!
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Not bugged, working as intended. A fixed percentage of the damage done by the dot will heal you.

Good to know, in that case, ZOS should update the tooltip to be less confusing.

4rANvML.png
    Here is what the tooltip says, emphasis on "total damage done" not at all indicating that the initial hit is not factored into healing.

C8uV0dl.png
    G4hSE3h.png
    Proof that no healing is applied if the skill does not enter damage over time phase

Apologies for the double-post, but do you by chance have a source for that information? Has this question been brought up to and answered by ZOS before?
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for the double-post, but do you by chance have a source for that information? Has this question been brought up to and answered by ZOS before?

Unfortunately no source, but can tell you that since before they buffed it (used to be a lot less healing based on damage) it never healed on the original tick. Maybe I just expect it not to, and call that WAI?

Unfortunately no source, but can tell you that since before they buffed it (used to be a lot less healing based on damage) it never healed on the original tick. Maybe I just expect it not to, and call that WAI?

If it's the way it's always been, then I would imagine it is likely working as intended. If that is the case, however, it would be nice if the tooltip reflected that fact to prevent future confusion on what the skill is supposed to do.

Or maybe they'll change it and give me a nice "oh s***" heal against low-health mobs in vMA lol