The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magicka DK - PvP - BSW vs Silks

teladoy
teladoy
✭✭✭✭✭
Seems that BSW gives more flame damage by a difference of 129. Now the question is, for a magicka DK where all your abilities do Flame damage, what is advantage to use one or the other? is because those Minimum 4 seconds you dont have the buff up you are losing more damage than if having all the time the 400 flame damage?

Could be that SOTS is more for pve and BSW for pvp? i thought that DKs need more like to burn down enemies quick and put preasure since they lack of executes, then why use SOTS?
Edited by teladoy on November 3, 2017 2:15PM
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BSW imo isn't up enough. And you can't get any preemptive strikes. I use SOTS. Personally like the health bonus more than the crit too. For the last statement, I find the opposite.
    Edited by ak_pvp on October 18, 2017 9:16PM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard a lot of back and forth on this, and I believe the current mathematical winner is bsw (boo math, won't confirm) but personally I find silks to work better for me for raw dps output.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • vMaick
    vMaick
    ✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, bsw in trial groups and silks of the sun for solo/small groups
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what about the burning status effect? That's also more damage! Really I can't understand and realize why people believe SOTS > BSW in pvp...because in that case I believe Jualianos > SOTS
    Edited by teladoy on October 18, 2017 11:50PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use them both. I tank all 4 man content with this combo except dlc and vdsa. With eruption, inferno, breathe fire, burning embers, deep breath, burning embers, i bet i have close to fill uptime.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why not both?

Ef8tw0T.png

90qW9Gv.png

I'm eventually going to replace one of these sets with Innate Axiom, though. I haven't decided which one yet.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BSW is the better set for PVP since the spell damage will also apply to heals, and because single target DOTs keep the stats that they were cast with.

It also plays into Mag DK's kill pattern where they time burst around ults and such. You work to get BSW up while pressuring with DOTs and then use a kill combo with ult.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • WhoThenNow7
    WhoThenNow7
    ✭✭✭
    jaburns wrote: »
    Why not both?

Ef8tw0T.png

90qW9Gv.png

I'm eventually going to replace one of these sets with Innate Axiom, though. I haven't decided which one yet.

Do you mind walking through all aspects of your build? I use both as well and my stats are not that good by a considerable amount..
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use 5 Silks, 5 BSW and 2 Valkyn on my mag dk, hes absolutely brutal.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you can only use one, Sun.. BSW is too hard to keep up in PVP. Damage and Health is more important for PVP than Crit.

What are your bars for the Sun + BSW build? I have all the gear for it... but I might not have all the skills unlocked yet.

I need to go into IC for a master writ haha.
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    If you can only use one, Sun.. BSW is too hard to keep up in PVP. Damage and Health is more important for PVP than Crit.

What are your bars for the Sun + BSW build? I have all the gear for it... but I might not have all the skills unlocked yet.

I need to go into IC for a master writ haha.

I think this guy is right:
    Sixty5 wrote: »
    BSW is the better set for PVP since the spell damage will also apply to heals, and because single target DOTs keep the stats that they were cast with.

It also plays into Mag DK's kill pattern where they time burst around ults and such. You work to get BSW up while pressuring with DOTs and then use a kill combo with ult.

As DK with Heavy armor + Hand and shield you will not do the same damage as Sorcerer with light armor. Also you don't have any execute. So in my opinion, the best thing is always try to put preasure on the enemy with for example Skoria and BSW to output in certain moments of the fight, surprisely strong extra damage. The idea is try to burn down the enemy in the most unexpected moment when he thinks everything is under control. Also as he said the spell damage boost the heal.

Edited by teladoy on October 19, 2017 11:44AM
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    SOTS is more reliable and the argument of it increasing your healing don't fit very well since dks don't use coagulation while in combat, we use it while kiting or escaping. In combat our heals come from damage (burning embers and power lash) and in PvP most of our attacks goes when we can and not when we want, and sometimes Bsw procs in worst times and you can't time the combo very well. Notice that the Bsw bonus don't increase your dots after they are applied. So you will need to reapply them again to have increased damage bonus, I don't think it's worth.

In pve it the very opposite, since as Dd you are pressuring the enemy 100% of the time and heals come from heallers.
    125 sd and about 5% crit aren't worth in pvp. Mind that as a dk you apply burning almost in every single atack, even without bsw., We don't need it.
    Edited by Vesper_BR on October 19, 2017 12:09PM
    VESPER BR - MAGICKA DRAGONKNIGHT - GRAND OVERLORD + FLAWLESS CONQUEROR (1070 CP / 01-01-2018)
    XBOX ONE - NA - EBONHEART PACT BRASIL
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BSW will buff everything, Silks will only buff fire. While i realize most of your damage as DK is fire, Silks will improve heals and magicka damage skills as well.

Even shorter answer is use the one you have. They're both very close by comparison.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    I have them both and fell much more comfortable with sots as my pressure is constant and I can choose to use my leap combo right when I want.... Again, don't use the argument of Bsw buffing your healing, it's bs*. Some things are only good in theory.
    VESPER BR - MAGICKA DRAGONKNIGHT - GRAND OVERLORD + FLAWLESS CONQUEROR (1070 CP / 01-01-2018)
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand everything what your saying, but as a magicka DK is almost impossible to have BSW in cd for more than 4 seconds when you are in combat. It's a risky and circumstantial set , but when it procs it makes your more stronger than with SOTS.

The critical value also boost your damage it doesn't matter if it is pve or pvp. The healings, damage, everything will be also more stronger while the buff is active. An enemy can feel very confident during the battle and then, when he least expects it, start to feel a lot of preassure, this could leadi him to not be able to handle the situation confused by the sudden changes in the fight, leading him to make a mistake and burn him down.

From the other side SOTS is a safe choice. A set that is more close to julianos. It's more balanced and not too much offensive. The enemy can measure you very good.
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    As I said.. the theory don't concretize Very well in real circumstances... As the differences between these two sets are very low when Bsw is procc'ed and very high when it's on cooldown. But, if u like it...

who I'm to desencourage. :*
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vesper_BR wrote: »
    As I said.. the theory don't concretize Very well in real circumstances... As the differences between these two sets are very low when Bsw is procc'ed and very high when it's on cooldown. But, if u like it...

Yes... I'm asking myself the same question... who are you... now i'm really confused and starting to believe better go for SOTS... :s
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you want heals or buffs to mag damage, Innate axiom is better. Unless you are running a fire staff.

BSW is just a bit *** outside of PvE where it is maintainable, and where crit matters.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »
    Vesper_BR wrote: »

Yes... I'm asking myself the same question... who are you... now i'm really confused and starting to believe better go for SOTS... :s

Lol... I think u should give it a try...

That's my char outside Ciro (just igneous)

IMG_20171019_144037926.jpg
    Edited by Vesper_BR on October 19, 2017 4:47PM
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    Whip tooltip
    IMG_20171019_144051120.jpg
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol I probably have the highest whip tool tip here on forums
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    zParallaxz wrote: »

:s I was just showing that I get good damage with satisfactory cost a 100% of the time :#
    Edited by Vesper_BR on October 19, 2017 7:49PM
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m one of the best magdks on Xbox Na, silks is alright however u might as well run Julianos and gain the spell crit instead of the wasted health bonus from silks.
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    I’m one of the best magdks on Xbox Na, silks is alright however u might as well run Julianos and gain the spell crit instead of the wasted health bonus from silks.

You run la right? Now I got that u sent me a message on Xbox live... :D
    I play on HA cause most of the time on Ciro I'm zerged down... I need the resistances to stay alive and try to get one or another... When u have 5 star is like u are carrying the scroll... You became the very target of everyone...
    (Sometime people even send messages calling me *** or asking for duels... :( )

BTW I don't claim to be good or better at anything... If u think you are, congrats! I really don't remember seeing u on cirodill. You must be from my faction then.
    I just play my game and try to have fun... What's is became very hard past weeks...
    Edited by Vesper_BR on October 20, 2017 12:19AM
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    And if I had the option to craft jewelry I would use julianos for sure. Now I'm using shackle + sun and it suits me very well. And as I said, my preference is sots OVER Bsw... Not talking about other options.
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither. Run 5x overwhelming surge, 5x desert rose, 2x Skoria and build for block cost reduction.

BSW belongs to an old pre-nerf meta and silks of the sun will be worse than innate axiom in a week. Desert rose offers by far the best sustain, Skoria meteors with leap and deep breath give great burst, and surge gives minor vulnerability.
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jaburns wrote: »
    Why not both?

Ef8tw0T.png

90qW9Gv.png

Do you mind walking through all aspects of your build? I use both as well and my stats are not that good by a considerable amount..

@WhoThenNow7

It's a 5l/1m/1h build. (I get bonuses from the Undaunted passives). All items are legendary with prismatic enchants. I use Infused on the helm, chest, and legs (for more stats in my resource pools) and impen on the shield, shoulders, gloves, sash, and boots. (in PVE, I'd use divines). Use tristat food. Make your mundus The Atronauch. Use two magicka recovery glyphs on your rings and one spell damage glyph on your necklace.

I plan to min/max even further by using a 5l/1m/1h setup on a Valkyn/BSW/Innate Axiom build. I'll use a heavy chest, medium helm, and all the rest will be light. (this gives the highest resistances)
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Gorrest
    Gorrest
    ✭✭✭

Not sure about that, this is just Major Sorc+Continuous Attack for me. Could go higher if I run BSW and proc it, but oh well I like having that tooltip up 100% of the time.

r6wtzUM.png
    Edited by Gorrest on October 20, 2017 1:34AM
    -PvP Characters-

AD Mag DK, Mc Flabben
    AD Mag Templar, Gorrest
    AD Mag Sorc, Edrene Kingsley
    AD MagWarden, Mc Woflen
    EP Stam Sorc, Elder Procs Online
    DC Stam DK, One Shot Online
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Continuous isn’t always up and I have 11.2k unbuffed without anything but nice try
    Edited by zParallaxz on October 20, 2017 2:06AM
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Continuous isn’t always up and I have 11.2k unbuffed without anything but nice try

Whew... this guy. So, perhaps try not to be a Farva with every comment. 11.2k unbuffed flame lashes seem like you're dropping a lot into spell power and suffering in regen. That probably works in gank or one-hit wonder playstyles (which is fine) but there's no need to trash talk people who don't play your exact build. Otherwise, you come off as a machismo teen. You don't want that, do you? ;)

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren