The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mag dk snares

scipionumatia
scipionumatia
✭✭✭✭
Started playing mag dk this week, what are my options to remove snares and cc? efficient purge? Elusive mist? Are those my only options? Or do mag dk normally not worry about getting snared and focus on AoE damage and laying down cc of their own?
Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much just mist, I don't recommend using purge outside of a group setting either. DK's have to just suck it up and deal with the debuffs basically. Unless you want to use Wyrd Tree set or run with a templar that always puts purify down.
    Edited by Akinos on October 17, 2017 8:47PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kinda figured something like that @Akinos. Thinking of riposte or impregnable as a light "Tank" set then julianos or shackle breaker for a "damage" set.
    Don't wanna run sun as I'm an argonian so no bonus to fire and also because many attacks are plain magic based (like proxy det)
    Its all theory right now
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just use shuffle...oh wait...

MDKs do not have a good way to purge off roots outside of going vamp and misting, or standing and taking it until you die.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Started playing mag dk this week, what are my options to remove snares and cc? efficient purge? Elusive mist? Are those my only options? Or do mag dk normally not worry about getting snared and focus on AoE damage and laying down cc of their own?

as a mDK, you have to live with the snare. Or use Wyrd Tree or Stendarr... or both.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Xvorg
    I don't think either of those sets would really be great on well.... anything lol

well I guess if I'm gonna have to play in constant snare I'm gonna want to play with an area of denial, running draw essence, proxy det, maybe overwhelming surge, maybe grothdar, maybe bahrahs curse. except theres nothing stopping someone from dropping negate on me and *** up my whole show or just hit me from range cause ill never catch them. would be ok-ish (not really) but if chains worked reliably it wouldn't be as bad.

What do you guys do?
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wyrd is a decent set and i generally just take the damage. I use trifood for the stam and tri glyphs to get just enough stam to break free or roll. Also, if negated roll out

In terms of which class can apply the most snares ect, mdk is solid and has the most options of any class. Every 4 seconds you fossilize then talon. If you meteor, drop it, fossilize before it hits

Increase cost with talons and fossilize will put more pressure in terms of resources then what most could do to you

Also, with your ult, use it wisely. You get a retutn of resouces and health. If im hit with a heavu stun or dmg, i may use my ult if i feel the next hit will kill me
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Emmagoldman
    Oh yeah I understand, I main stam dk in pvp just trying to see the other side of the coin. However with mag it seems a lot less mobile than the stamina counterpart. If you don't mind me asking what does your mdk build run? Bars, sets and whatnot?

PS- pretty sure triglyphs are required for all dk :wink:
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    @Emmagoldman
    Oh yeah I understand, I main stam dk in pvp just trying to see the other side of the coin. However with mag it seems a lot less mobile than the stamina counterpart. If you don't mind me asking what does your mdk build run? Bars, sets and whatnot?

@Emmagoldman

Actually I think that mdk in cqc is more mobile than Stam due to mist form... It's a good skill to relocate yourself in combat, not as effective as streak but it's still very useful.
    VESPER BR - MAGICKA DRAGONKNIGHT - GRAND OVERLORD + FLAWLESS CONQUEROR (1070 CP / 01-01-2018)
    XBOX ONE - NA - EBONHEART PACT BRASIL
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Vesper_BR
    I guess I should include most form as part of mag dk tool kit huh? Lol
    Hey I was also wondering about invigorating drain, do you only gain ultimate while it's being channeled? Or if I animation cancel it will I generate 5 ultimate a second for 3 seconds?
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Channel.
    The stun is specifically singled out in the description to be "on activation". Ult and healing are "while channeling".
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with magdk being more mobile

Stam dk could go orc for the speed passive
    Could use jail reaker or foird
    Running cp passive
    Equip bow
    Equip dualwield for dagger cloak
    Speed pots

Magdk
    Mist form
    Speed pots (of course lower pool of stam)
    Edited by Emmagoldman on October 18, 2017 11:10PM
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    @Vesper_BR
    I guess I should include most form as part of mag dk tool kit huh? Lol
    Hey I was also wondering about invigorating drain, do you only gain ultimate while it's being channeled? Or if I animation cancel it will I generate 5 ultimate a second for 3 seconds?

It's almost inviable to play a mdk non vamp... Vampirism has a great synergy with the class...
    Even I think zos should let us choose to be or not, we can't as we are forced to be vampires.

The cqc situations I mentioned are inside keeps and towers where we can roam freely using mist form. It's a good strategy to alternate yours pools of stamina and magica while kiting people. Remember that when you block or dodge you recover magicka and when you mist form you recover Stam, don't forget it.
    And for the ones that may say that I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm a 5star mdk main char. Not as good as I should but I can do some tricks in cirodill. :p
    Edited by Vesper_BR on October 19, 2017 12:34AM
    VESPER BR - MAGICKA DRAGONKNIGHT - GRAND OVERLORD + FLAWLESS CONQUEROR (1070 CP / 01-01-2018)
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Vesper_BR
    Sounds like shackle breaker is your bread and butter eh?
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    I run shackle + sun + (bloodspawn or skoria) + 3 prismátic enchants and witchmother's brew.
    Actually I'm running destro on back bar and bloodspawn, and trying to get used to Stonefist... :(
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Vesper_BR
    Is that 5h/2L?
    My current plan is to go with Shackle breaker and wizards riposte but I'm also looking at the set robes of the hist, depending on what the game considers a "disabling effect" that could be really OP for defense. If snares, and DoT effects count you could be healing constantly. that 2000 health every1 second would also get boosted by healing received and (I believe) healing done. Ever try that set out?
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    5_1_1 heavy. I never tried hist and I'm really curious about it now... When I run shackle and sun I use 2 reduce cost and witchmother's brew.
    My whips cost about 1.9k mag and I have 1.5k recovery. No problems with sustain.
    I changed to light staff on back bar and my mundus to apprentice and it's very good too.
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im playing rattlecage cage/skoria and bsw, destro restro. I proc bsw on back bar. I love having the extra skill slot. I think next patch ill be 5 h, 2l

@Vesper_BR totally agree with you. I went vamp for the mag regen to help with sustain.
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Emmagoldman
    How come rattlecage? entropy or molten give major with additional bonuses and they have a long timer on them

@Vesper_BR
    So some digging on robes of the hist is that it gets smacked by battlespirit which reduces the healing by half. which means in best case scenario your getting +1k healing a second and 20% "disabling effect" reduced time. I don't think that's awful but its certainly not amazing. However if DoT counts as a "disabling effect you could essentially passively heal through it (most dots in pvp hit for about 1k a second in my experience spare Dawn breaker)
    Curious to see what classifies as a disabling effect. 20% reduced timer on Poisons? snares? DoT? Environmental damage like lava and slaughterfish?

BTW if anyone knows about robes of the hist please let us know! :D
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, sure... Really curious
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There a tons of options for magdk, i feel its in a good place with a lot of diversity. Im liking rattle because its a heavy set based on dps and constant up time. It frees up one skill slot on my bar which I like to have. Instead of entropy or molten i put fob, elemental drain for elemental effect 5k armor pen and magic steal, or destructive reach for the dot to proc skoria. I can hit with fossilize, talons and knockback. Which is nice

• Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    magicka classes as a whole pretty much have no way to purge snares outside of mistform.

Alliance war purge and netch purge will pretty much only work if the snares are the only negative effects used against you (rarely the case). Templar purge actually removes enough negative effects to be effective on cast... but eventually the simple fact that snares are applied by like straight up half of all attacks commonly used in cyrodiil, it's immunity to snares that really counts and that's pretty much only mistform.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter