The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

so... will now everyone change from HA to light and medium..?!?

• Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    raasdal wrote: »
    Assuming 5 pc in the tree.
    Light armor-
    20% Regen
    10%Cost reduction
    Spell resistance
    Crit- 2.1k with 5 pc
    Penetration

Great damage perks vs anything without a shield, worthless against. They also do not effect healing.

Medium-
    Crit- 1.6k so slightly less
    20% Regen
    10% cost reduction
    20% Sneak cost reduction-ok it's bad
    15% detectable radius reduction- ok its bad
    12%weapon damage
    15% faster while sprinting
    20% roll dodge cost reduction- base is 3.6k cost

Mediums damage passives effect shields and healing, however do not provide as much raw damage vs a target. Good trade off imo. They need the healing. The main issue with medium imo is zos making everything undodgable.

New Heavy-
    1.8k physical and spell resistance
    20%heath recovery- useless on most builds
    540 Stamina and magicka given when hit every 4 seconds. Essentially 135 stam and mag regen conditionally. Great for off pool regen, awful for main pool.
    10%max health
    8% healing recieved
    25%more resource return on heavy attacks.

Yes they make you able to take more damage. But 1.8k resistance, average 2.5k hp if they're building for damage, and 8% extra healing(hard countered by defile), hardly make anyone unkillable. BLOCKING does.

FIX BLOCKING FORMULA SO IT EFFECTS AND FIXES PERMABLOCKING AND DOESNT IMPACT EVERY OTHER BUILD BUT THE ONE YOU ARE TRYING TO IMPACT!!!!

Stop making everything undodgable. It's a whole armor types defense.

I still love medium armor.

The difference between HA and MA/LA is not 1800 resist. It is more. You are only comparing Passives, and forgetting to account for the natural resistance of each armor type.

Exactly, gold heavy can get over 20 k, gold medium can get to MAX 12 without putting tons of points into medium armor cp point ( which no one does really )
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Light has been better than heavy, passive wise, since the sharpened nerf.

There's simply no efficient way to recoup the penetration that light armor provides back into a build without sacrificing too many other things. If you're a magika build and you've been running heavy you've been seriously gimping your damage just for some tankiness you can pick up elsewhere.

Medium still has at least 1 really bad combat passive(sneak speed) and 1 that's less desirable (dodge roll cost reduction) because of several nerfs to the defensive mechanic it promotes.

Well, in a certain way that's true - but keep in mind that penetration is useless vs dmg shields, where as heavy armor Wrath passive (and any further damage you could pick up by not having to use a defensive set) still work against them.

That said, with Wrath passive gone there's no real alternative to light armor anymore, it'll just deal better damage in every scenario.

keep in mind that if you're having trouble killing builds whose primary defense is damage shields that light armor will actually do more than heavy to help you. This is simply because the burst available in light is such that you can routinely melt people within the window of a single, well-timed, CC. Whereas, in heavy, you have to allow wrath to charge and still need another big damage set to approach the damage light armor has.

If you're trying to brute force damage shields down in 2017 that's a YOU issue not a question of whether light is stronger than heavy. For reference, wrath adds ~2% damage and concentration adds ~8% and that's not even counting the crit passives. A typical damage set is going to give you about 5-7% damage. Light was already superior in every scenario because nobody keeps a 100% uptime on shields and as soon as you hit that health pool light armor adds like 13% more damage than heavy. The key to killing someone who is relying on damage shield for their defense is a well timed CC+burst combo as their shield drops either from pressure or from timing.

Well, I've always done better with heavy armor on my magplar than with light - granted I haven't played my magplar much recently.

There aren't much good, reliable CC options for a magplar (nor a lot of burst damage for a sweeps focused build) which might have a lot to do with it - it's always been important to be able to pressure down those shields efficiently with sweeps & DoTs on magplar.

I can see how light armor should typically be better for other classes (& Dark Flare magplar builds) though.

Not that it matters after next patch, light will just be better for all builds :neutral:

Destructive reach is the best CC option for magplar btw and imo its the best CC in the game that doesn't break block.

Yeah, it's good - but requires using destro staff.

I don't think destro staff synergizes well with templar because the damage is such a mix between AoE (Sweeps) & single target (Unstable Core, Purifying Light, Destructive Reach/Clench, Vampire's Bane), meaning you can't feasibly get the full benefit from Ancient Knowledge passive.

I just feel DW/S&B is the way to go for the classic Sweeps magplar (rev bash can act as a decent CC)- I'd definitely use destro on a Flare build tho.

Backbar frost is for Templars. If you can fit both ele drain and frost clench, you'll have penetration, sustain, a dot and a soft cc immobilze . All of which templars need.

I think frost clench ignores cc immunity? I don't remember. And I also assume it applies through block? If not, still not a bad ability.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    laced wrote: »
    raasdal wrote: »
    Light armor-
    20% Regen
    10%Cost reduction
    Spell resistance
    Crit- 2.1k with 5 pc
    Penetration

Great damage perks vs anything without a shield, worthless against. They also do not effect healing.

Medium-
    20% Regen
    10% cost reduction
    12%weapon damage

Mediums damage passives effect shields and healing, however do not provide as much raw damage vs a target. Good trade off imo. They need the healing. The main issue with medium imo is zos making everything undodgable.

New Heavy-
    540 Stamina and magicka given when hit every 4 seconds. Essentially 135 stam and mag regen conditionally. Great for off pool regen, awful for main pool.
    10%max health
    8% healing recieved

Yes they make you able to take more damage. But 1.8k resistance, average 2.5k hp if they're building for damage, and 8% extra healing(hard countered by defile), hardly make anyone unkillable. BLOCKING does.

FIX BLOCKING FORMULA SO IT EFFECTS AND FIXES PERMABLOCKING AND DOESNT IMPACT EVERY OTHER BUILD BUT THE ONE YOU ARE TRYING TO IMPACT!!!!

The difference between HA and MA/LA is not 1800 resist. It is more. You are only comparing Passives, and forgetting to account for the natural resistance of each armor type.

Exactly, gold heavy can get over 20 k, gold medium can get to MAX 12 without putting tons of points into medium armor cp point ( which no one does really )

No, 7 heavy in gold are 17.431 resistance (26%)
    7 gold medium sits at 11.199 (19%)

Furthermore this get's diminished when you run 5/1/1 or 5/2.
    But however, his original post was about passives only.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on October 17, 2017 5:33PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there such a thing as a medium build with good brawler capabilities? Something less run and gun and more stand and fight?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there such a thing as a medium build with good brawler capabilities? Something less run and gun and more stand and fight?

Possibly, but many MA players feel that's like running a tank build and they want to perserve the rogue flavor of why you pick MA.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    so... will now everyone change from HA to light and medium..?!?
    No ...
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I think you should ask @Xsorus , he has some weird medium armor S&B build :P
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The difference between HA and MA/LA is not 1800 resist. It is more. You are only comparing Passives, and forgetting to account for the natural resistance of each armor type.[/quote]

Exactly, gold heavy can get over 20 k, gold medium can get to MAX 12 without putting tons of points into medium armor cp point ( which no one does really )[/quote]

Gold heavy in impen will not Get you over 20k. Maybe in 7 heavy. Not 5heavy/2 med or 511. And in 7k, over 2k of that would be coming from the passive. So 18k.
    Edited by Brutusmax1mus on October 17, 2017 6:37PM
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My stamplar has been in medium this whole time, you're telling me she's suppose to be in heavy??

Madness!
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With sets like Fury and Seventh Legion present in the game, I doubt anyone will change...
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been running medium on my stamplar with restoring focus and bloodspawn, and actually trying to use empowering sweep as kind of a test. Verdict is still out. Having to stay in restoring focus or recast every 8 seconds is rough as a stamplar and empowering sweep would be better if it gave major protection flat out rather than have it scale up only after you are getting in over your head to begin with. Thinking I would be better off as a magplar with Wizards ripost in light armor with the same kind of setup.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I've been running medium on my stamplar with restoring focus and bloodspawn, and actually trying to use empowering sweep as kind of a test.

I've run Restoring and Empowering myself too, I'm not a fan either. With the purify cost increase it's going to be more attractive to go Channeled anyway. Empowering is still kinda meh, and yeah I would prefer if it also just gave us Major Protection when we put it out. As is, it's just a weaker ult compared to DB.

How does bloodspawn feel on stamplar?

I run troll king on mine, and it's a fun when it procs from purify and the guy is trying to execute me and nothing happens.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No wrath will do nothing to get my stam Ward out of heavy.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I've been running medium on my stamplar with restoring focus and bloodspawn, and actually trying to use empowering sweep as kind of a test.

I've run Restoring and Empowering myself too, I'm not a fan either. With the purify cost increase it's going to be more attractive to go Channeled anyway. Empowering is still kinda meh, and yeah I would prefer if it also just gave us Major Protection when we put it out. As is, it's just a weaker ult compared to DB.

How does bloodspawn feel on stamplar?

I run troll king on mine, and it's a fun when it procs from purify and the guy is trying to execute me and nothing happens.

It seems like it is up all the time in PvP. I feel a little better than when I was running my stamblade without it in favor of 1 piece of Krahgs. I'm mainly addicted to getting a little extra ultimate to where when I was running as magicka on my Templar, I would keep shield wall up all the time. Made me think empowering sweep is even cheaper if not as effective, at least maybe I could do some damage. Just empowering sweep is disappointing. Not sure why I keep trying it other than I like the idea and the implementation just fails
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe. I haven't really figured out what I'll do yet. I'll stay on heavy on both mTemp and mDK for a bit, and see how I feel about the changes in actual combat. Then make adjustments until things feel right.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "this changes nothing" crowd = Stam heavy user

"Why should I pick anything other than Light?" = Magicka crowd

Except DK must run heavy. Temps are more flexible in that area
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Valiant? IMHO that sets is looked down but has some nice effects (5% dmg reduction, 40% break free cost reduction, extra healing taken).

Maybe paired with a dmg set is an option
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is that medium can be about as tanky as heavy armor provided that you're relying on block. You have reduced resistances and max health, but block and block cost reduction transcend armor type.

I've considered swapping my stamwarden that's S&B/S&B to running more of a block setup with 5x Tava's, 5x fury, 2x blood spawn. Even with the cost increase to trees you have them on cooldown, shuffle is a good snare/root purge in 5 medium, and you can stack approximately the same weapon damage as fury+7L that I currently run. Has higher mobility, dodge roll options, and good sustain without building too much for it.

I don't think I'll switch to that, but it's worth testing in my mind.
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

LA armor temps have some synergy to their armors, IMO more so than HA. LA gives them much needed sustain and penetration, the extra crit gives them extra chances to apply their crit DMG bonus for heading defense/offense, and the lower resists means you can use Restoring focus to a much greater degree of efficacy due to the diminishing returns of mitigation.

This let's you run defensive sets with a Regen, roll 3 DMG enchants, and pick SD mundas to make up the lost offensive stats.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There's simply no efficient way to recoup the penetration that light armor provides back into a build without sacrificing too many other things. If you're a magika build and you've been running heavy you've been seriously gimping your damage just for some tankiness you can pick up elsewhere.

Medium still has at least 1 really bad combat passive(sneak speed) and 1 that's less desirable (dodge roll cost reduction) because of several nerfs to the defensive mechanic it promotes.

Well, in a certain way that's true - but keep in mind that penetration is useless vs dmg shields, where as heavy armor Wrath passive (and any further damage you could pick up by not having to use a defensive set) still work against them.

That said, with Wrath passive gone there's no real alternative to light armor anymore, it'll just deal better damage in every scenario.

keep in mind that if you're having trouble killing builds whose primary defense is damage shields that light armor will actually do more than heavy to help you. This is simply because the burst available in light is such that you can routinely melt people within the window of a single, well-timed, CC. Whereas, in heavy, you have to allow wrath to charge and still need another big damage set to approach the damage light armor has.

If you're trying to brute force damage shields down in 2017 that's a YOU issue not a question of whether light is stronger than heavy. For reference, wrath adds ~2% damage and concentration adds ~8% and that's not even counting the crit passives. A typical damage set is going to give you about 5-7% damage. Light was already superior in every scenario because nobody keeps a 100% uptime on shields and as soon as you hit that health pool light armor adds like 13% more damage than heavy. The key to killing someone who is relying on damage shield for their defense is a well timed CC+burst combo as their shield drops either from pressure or from timing.

Well, I've always done better with heavy armor on my magplar than with light - granted I haven't played my magplar much recently.

There aren't much good, reliable CC options for a magplar (nor a lot of burst damage for a sweeps focused build) which might have a lot to do with it - it's always been important to be able to pressure down those shields efficiently with sweeps & DoTs on magplar.

I can see how light armor should typically be better for other classes (& Dark Flare magplar builds) though.

Not that it matters after next patch, light will just be better for all builds :neutral:

Destructive reach is the best CC option for magplar btw and imo its the best CC in the game that doesn't break block.

I don't think destro staff synergizes well with templar because the damage is such a mix between AoE (Sweeps) & single target (Unstable Core, Purifying Light, Destructive Reach/Clench, Vampire's Bane), meaning you can't feasibly get the full benefit from Ancient Knowledge passive.

I just feel DW/S&B is the way to go for the classic Sweeps magplar (rev bash can act as a decent CC)- I'd definitely use destro on a Flare build tho.

I mean, any destro, including weaves is better damage than DW by a mile and my personal experience with magplar I rarely cast more than a couple sweeps in a row. Your DoTs have low duration and so does PL, you just don't have time to spam your spammable a whole lot and you really do lose a lot of pressure from weaving. DW or not you'll never kill good players without PL explosions and the best way to fill them up is on a destro build.

That's not even mentioning you can run ele drain and use the good morph of rune that gives minor protection+vitality instead of the regen one. And also increases your damage to levels a DW build can't dream of

SnB back bar a must though imo
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 17, 2017 8:57PM
  • Hecker777
    Hecker777
    ✭✭✭
    I only use heavy on my stam warden when I'm running stam support in a large group. When I'm going DPS or small group/solo I'm always in medium. I found that the trick for playing in medium is just being aware of what's happening. Don't sit in AOE's, roll dodge heavy hitting attacks, and keep an eye for a way out if you get into trouble. My thought on it is that more offense can function as more defense because you'll win the pressure battle
    No class CC and I don't run a gap closer...so yeah if you streak away from me I'll probably bird spam you WHAT ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO DO??
    Outrider of Vokundein-Vice PvP Officer- Member of Legend Gaming
    Officer- Eastmarch Trade Company
    Officer- Order of the Bear
    Core- Fear is Failure

DK Tank - Stam Sorc DPS - Stam Warden PvP DPS- Mag DK PvP DPS
    690+ CP PC NA
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Heavy helps when you want to be tankier, most definitely not a must though.
    Light armor is better when you want to end people faster. I normally run light armor atm, and heavy when the situation calls for it, like when I'm in my guild group and we're extremely outnumbered. If i get bursted down by a smaller group, like 3-5 people while in light, i'll sometimes come back and fight them again in my heavy set, especially if I have the damage to kill them, which I generally do.

Light and heavy are both situational, neither are gonna be good for everything. Anybody that doesn't carry a heavy and light set on them at all times should consider doing so.
    Edited by Akinos on October 17, 2017 9:36PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »

Light armor is better when you want to end people faster. I normally run light armor atm, and heavy when the situation calls for it, like when I'm in my guild group and we're extremely outnumbered. If i get bursted down by a smaller group, like 3-5 people while in light, i'll sometimes come back and fight them again in my heavy set, especially if I have the damage to kill them, which I generally do.

Light and heavy are both situational, neither are gonna be good for everything. Anybody that doesn't carry a heavy and light set on them at all times should reconsider how they play.

"Everyone stop fighting, I need to take out my backup heavy armor set"

vhYJFm.gif

:)
    Edited by Minno on October 17, 2017 9:21PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Akinos wrote: »

Light and heavy are both situational, neither are gonna be good for everything. Anybody that doesn't carry a heavy and light set on them at all times should reconsider how they play.

"Everyone stop fighting, I need to take out my backup heavy armor set"

vhYJFm.gif

:)

lol, I wish we could swap armor and weapons mid combat, you can in some other games >>
    Also carrying it with you saves a trip back to the bank :P
    Edited by Akinos on October 17, 2017 9:27PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, any destro, including weaves is better damage than DW by a mile and my personal experience with magplar I rarely cast more than a couple sweeps in a row. Your DoTs have low duration and so does PL, you just don't have time to spam your spammable a whole lot and you really do lose a lot of pressure from weaving. DW or not you'll never kill good players without PL explosions and the best way to fill them up is on a destro build.

That's not even mentioning you can run ele drain and use the good morph of rune that gives minor protection+vitality instead of the regen one. And also increases your damage to levels a DW build can't dream of

SnB back bar a must though imo

The bolded part is definitely not true...

On my Dual Weild Magplar, I have a burst combo that I use to kill good players and Purifying Light isn't part of the equation:

1) Immovable PoT
    2) Structured Entropy...
    3) Toppling Charge...
    4) Devouring Swarm...
    5) Puncturing Sweeps until dead...

Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor-
    20% Regen
    10%Cost reduction
    Spell resistance
    Crit- 2.1k with 5 pc
    Penetration

Medium-
    20% Regen
    10% cost reduction
    12%weapon damage

New Heavy-
    10%max health
    8% healing recieved

The blocking changes are why virtually every build now has SnB on one bar if not both bars.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should ask @Xsorus , he has some weird medium armor S&B build :P

5 impregnable with full well fitted
    Selena’s or storm for monster helm and shoulder
    5 piece spriggans (though this could be any stamina setup)
    Backbar masters daggers next patch for twin slash

Sword and shield main hand of course

This is on an orc stamina sorc
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    Light armor-
    20% Regen
    10%Cost reduction
    Spell resistance
    Crit- 2.1k with 5 pc
    Penetration

Medium-
    20% Regen
    10% cost reduction
    12%weapon damage

New Heavy-
    10%max health
    8% healing recieved

The blocking changes are why virtually every build now has SnB on one bar if not both bars.

what are the blocking changes next patch? did i miss something?
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Light has better damage than heavy, well. That's perfectly balanced. If you want to make a DPS, go light,if you want to make a tank/heal bot, go heavy. That's call balance, and no one should complain about the fact you can't have more damage anymore in heavy.
    Edited by Aedaryl on October 18, 2017 12:02PM
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    and now plz lets talk about the more interesting point, whos shifting from heavy to MEDIUM??
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,