The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Will you use Crystal Blast now that Frags has no CC?

• SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I suggested a debuff to be applied to make the morph selection differ from; a single target debuff or AoE debuff.
    That would lessen the unwanted cast time because what you do next could make it worth it.

Gutting out the stun for nothing isn't going to make the other morph suddenly more useful.
    Edited by SirMewser on October 17, 2017 1:00AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    As it stands today on Live, the main reason to get Crystal Shard is the CC. The cast time is not worth it for the damage. Remove the CC and there isn't a compelling reason to slot Crystal Shard, except to progress in Dark Magic, or to get a Crystal Shard morph.

For me, the reason for the stun on Crystal Shard is the ranged interrupt. Stop archers or casters at a distance, or stop a melee running at you.

By the time I can morph Crystal Shard and have the choice of Blast or Frags, I am probably getting close to Crushing Shock. This means Frags for the instant cast.

The real question is whether to spend an early skill point and slot on Dark Magic just for an instant cast Crystal Frags.

A larger question is what does it mean to Sorcerer to lose the ability to interrupt other spell casters early in the game.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No I will still use frags for it's higher damage and the chance to proc the insta cast ability.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Its ok they will just keep buffing crystal blast untill it becomes broken. sort of like pets
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HoloYoitsu wrote: »
    ToRelax wrote: »
    To be fair, Crystal Blast is the most effective sorcerer skill in a 30v3.

To get the 30 killed ._.

<sigh>

Joy is right.

Zergrballers depend on heals and ignore their active defenses.

But even setting those aside, why do people keep think it needs to be cast on a player or can be dodged? Or blocked?

After testing crystal blast on live this weekend, on a dunmer crafting mule wearing L45 julianos... I can't freaking wait. I am going to force my buddies into rolling high elf sorcs and start a guild called Anchors and Tears. Just need someone to confirm its an actual AoE stun. Ranged bombing, no negate needed.

Just to make it clear to those that don't get it, NPCs, engine guardian, sorc atronach, warden bear, pack leader... everything that typically gets in the way of targeting... all anchors. No chance of dodge, reflect, block, and the AoE portion doesn't care.

The Stun component is single target, only the damage is AoE - and the AoE portion is lower than the main dmg. Your plan wont work.

That's the way it is currently on live...
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No

To get the 30 killed ._.

<sigh>

Joy is right.

But even setting those aside, why do people keep think it needs to be cast on a player or can be dodged? Or blocked?

After testing crystal blast on live this weekend, on a dunmer crafting mule wearing L45 julianos... I can't freaking wait. I am going to force my buddies into rolling high elf sorcs and start a guild called Anchors and Tears. Just need someone to confirm its an actual AoE stun. Ranged bombing, no negate needed.

Just to make it clear to those that don't get it, NPCs, engine guardian, sorc atronach, warden bear, pack leader... everything that typically gets in the way of targeting... all anchors. No chance of dodge, reflect, block, and the AoE portion doesn't care.

The Stun component is single target, only the damage is AoE - and the AoE portion is lower than the main dmg. Your plan wont work.

Also the way it currently is on PTS.
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I always used frags for the instant cast and higher damage, never for the stun.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Wrobel @ZOS_RichLambert can you please make the people responsible for this change read this poll?

I think what´s being said here critical for understanding the playerbase or for any future attempts to balancing.

It won´t work.

People will not use a morph they perceive as useless even if you make the alternative less desireable. The only outcome this can have is that you make both undesireable - and nobody slots both morphs anymore.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Fuxo
    Fuxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No. It could be considered a buff only if templars got it, lol.
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    and the next thing they screwed...........

what more to come????

• Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

To get the 30 killed ._.

<sigh>

Joy is right.

Ah, misreported in general forums. There goes my AoE stun plan :(.

I see they buffed splash damage by 25%.

So I swapped gear from my warden to my Dunmer, which is necropotence and shacklebreaker. Despite that race typically being populated by simpletons, in Vivec on live, crystal blast delves as 16k single target with 9300 splash, before weapon bump to weapon power from enchant. Currently, I am using a flame staff but would think lightning staff would close the gap a bit more. If after the patch it delves 16k/14k, is there a better direct damage AoE in the game?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Shame all the yes votes were mistakes i scrolled down here to read the trolls justifications!!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    And they say Sorcs don't get nerfed huh?

Where's that moany crew now.....

Lol. It amazes me how mag sorcs are in their own world. Every other class has been beaten into the ground with nerfs. Sorcs get one change to one of the strongest skill in pvp and they act like this. I’ve actually seen a mag sorc compare frags to dragon leap to say frags shouldn’t be nerfed because DKs have such a strong single target LOL.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Cast time abilities hardly works in pve (trying to be positive here) and certainly does not even have a place in average+ level of pvp.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Cast time, interuptable, dodgeable, reflectable, blockable, slow projectile, high cost detected by THE ADDON - sure its made to use it in PvP!:)
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    but then I'm not using it now; and most of my characters are sorcs.

Blast - takes too long
    Frags - too hard to see the "tell"
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    If ZoS wants somebody to use Crystal Blast, they have to make it able to proc as instant cast skill as Crystal shard, then stun the target and add AoE damage but no longer increased damage and make it 8m range. Risk vs reward.
    Because I can!
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No

To get the 30 killed ._.

<sigh>

Joy is right.

Ah, misreported in general forums. There goes my AoE stun plan :(.

I see they buffed splash damage by 25%.

So I swapped gear from my warden to my Dunmer, which is necropotence and shacklebreaker. Despite that race typically being populated by simpletons, in Vivec on live, crystal blast delves as 16k single target with 9300 splash, before weapon bump to weapon power from enchant. Currently, I am using a flame staff but would think lightning staff would close the gap a bit more. If after the patch it delves 16k/14k, is there a better direct damage AoE in the game?

You get a roughly similar AoE with Lightning Clench. It only stuns the main target as well and has lower range, but is instant cast and much cheaper. But try things on PTS before you invest in new builds...

Edit: Talking about Master Staff here. No idea how I forgot to mention that...
    Edited by ToRelax on October 17, 2017 11:37AM
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I will simply replace it with another skill. Clench/Reach or Volcanic Rune depending on context. I used Volcanic Rune->Ice Comet combo during sieges and got quite some AP from it :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Asmael wrote: »
    Even if you remove C.Frag entirely, I still wouldn't use Crystal blast.

Yea, heavy attack does more damage both single target and AoE, has about the same cast time, and gives you resources back instead of consuming them. Even in PvP it's not hard to channel a lightning one. In PvE there's simply no contest. After the nerf to Crystal Frag skill damage last patch it has become practically useless. Eh, another 2 skill points I'll recover at the next discounted skill reset ...
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Beardimus wrote: »
    And they say Sorcs don't get nerfed huh?

Where's that moany crew now.....

Lol. It amazes me how mag sorcs are in their own world. Every other class has been beaten into the ground with nerfs. Sorcs get one change to one of the strongest skill in pvp and they act like this. I’ve actually seen a mag sorc compare frags to dragon leap to say frags shouldn’t be nerfed because DKs have such a strong single target LOL.

Specs have 2 direct single target dmg in their entire arsenal. CURSE and frags. The other classes have double that or even more.
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The problem is the cast time :

The only way to use a short cast time ability like crystal blast is to stun the ennemy before, because every build with a gap closer or streak will port to you and interupt you : You will lost an additional few 0.2s, you will also be off balance for 4s, that's mean you take 10% more damage 'for 4s, and the ennemy can use an heavy attack to consume off balance meaning the heavy attack will make 70% more damage (+ 10% from exploiter).

Being interrupted mean you will be extremely punished. Since you need a stun to have a chance to not be interrupted, there is no reason to choose crystal blast for the stun.

In PvE, 1s cast time is a terrible lost of DPS, and you don't want to stun your ennemies, because you want to pack mobs.

Now, just think about the longest cast time of this game : 1.5s to recast pets. This cast time is so long than even a streak stuniing your ennemy isn't enough to recast the pet : ennemy have time to break the stun, then gap close/ streak to you, then interrupt you. Now just think about off balance effect and then, you can understand why cast times are a terrible.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I just checked something:

Dark Flare (0,1s longer cast time, but doesn't matter) deals 20.362% more damage as per tooltip than Crystal Blast.

Dark Flare also grants Major Empower for the follow up Javelin (sorcs don't have similar good instant cast follow up from class skills atleast) and puts Major Defile on target & nearby enemies.

Crystal Blast deals AoE damage.

@ZOS_Wrobel is there a reason why Crystal Blast (Blast only, not the instant cast Frags!!!) can't atleast deal same base damage as Dark Flare? I think that would be a reasonable change.
    Edited by DDuke on October 17, 2017 12:03PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    DDuke wrote: »

Dark Flare (0,1s longer cast time, but doesn't matter) deals 20.362% more damage as per tooltip than Crystal Blast.

Dark Flare also grants Major Empower for the follow up Javelin (sorcs don't have similar good instant cast follow up from class skills atleast) and puts Major Defile on target & nearby enemies.

@ZOS_Wrobel is there a reason why Crystal Blast (Blast only, not the instant cast Frags!!!) can't atleast deal same base damage as Dark Flare? I think that would be a reasonable change.

What´s the cost difference between the two?
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Derra wrote: »

Dark flare is 25% cheaper.
    Because I can!
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

If you thought landing a hard casted Crystal whatever was tough, try landing a hard casted Dark Flare with it's huge arcing projectile.

Also, you are comparing Templar and Sorc in a bubble here. The only thing you are likely to accomplish is them moving the extra damage from frags to blast, or getting Dark Flare nerffed.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Base costs (to which all passives & set bonus modifiers apply):
    Crystal Blast 4050 Magicka
    Dark Flare 3240 Magicka
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    danno8 wrote: »

If you thought landing a hard casted Crystal whatever was tough, try landing a hard casted Dark Flare with it's huge arcing projectile.

Also, you are comparing Templar and Sorc in a bubble here. The only thing you are likely to accomplish is them moving the extra damage from frags to blast, or getting Dark Flare nerffed.

Did you actually try landing Crystal Blast... ?
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Well, there's always that risk I suppose lol

If Crystal Blast dealt damage similar to Flare, I could imagine people trying out things like Crystal Blast->(Master Weapon) Flame Clench or Crystal Blast+(Asylum)Crushing Shock etc.

In other words, more build variety for sorcs.

Also, close range Dark Flare+Jav isn't that easy to dodge (without cheat addons) btw - mostly because of the Jav being a very quick projectile.

Anyway, useless to discuss anything regarding cast time abilities as long as Miat's bullsh*t is in the game.
    Edited by DDuke on October 17, 2017 12:41PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

Base costs (to which all passives & set bonus modifiers apply):
    Crystal Blast 4050 Magicka
    Dark Flare 3240 Magicka

Actually the difference is slightly smaller due to class passives:
    Crystal Blast: 4050 becomes in fact 3850 due to the Unholy Knowledge
    Dark Flare: 3240 becomes 3110 due to Restoring Spirit

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters: