The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

DK Magicka and Stamina what's the difference?

teladoy
teladoy
✭✭✭✭✭
I know the question seems stupid and i know the difference between stamina and magicka, but when it comes to DK i'm not pretty sure what does what.
What are the setups to play a DK?

I don't want for example to play a fire mage with light armor. I want to play some kind of very tanky build, with good resource managment and that outputs also damage. I tried the stupid idea of distribute everything in the same proportions between magicka, health and stamina, which result was terrible.
Now I'm asking my self if should i go magicka or stamina, which kind of set should i use where should i distribute my points. I saw some kind or permablock builds, i don't know if i should try that, since seems that blocking mitigates a lot more than build critical resist. If i go stamina what's the way to block and run out of stamina, how to recover?

Can anyone please give me some hints of what are options or setups today day with a DK?
Edited by teladoy on October 16, 2017 2:50PM
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would say just wait for PTS patch notes . Heavy Armor is getting nerfed and we don't know how much . Since Magicka and Stamina DKs use mostly Heavy Armor , it will affect both a lot . If you make a build and spend money on , it might be a waste . Just play with a cheap build until we know the changes , patch is going live on 23rd October .

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but I wanted to warn you before you spend lots of money ^^
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    I would say just wait for PTS patch notes . Heavy Armor is getting nerfed and we don't know how much . Since Magicka and Stamina DKs use mostly Heavy Armor , it will affect both a lot . If you make a build and spend money on , it might be a waste . Just play with a cheap build until we know the changes , patch is going live on 23rd October .

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but I wanted to warn you before you spend lots of money ^^

Heavy will be nerfed?? is that confirmed?
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TO made the usual mistake as he forgot to mention PvE or PvP...or even the role in the case of PvE.

The difference between stamDK and magDK is huge when it comes to gear, skills and build, the difference in PvP is also huge. In addition in PvE a magDK or a stamDK has to decide which role he wants to play (tank and DD) and needs to gear/build for that role.
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

• teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flameheart wrote: »
    TO made the usual mistake as he forgot to mention PvE or PvP...or even the role in the case of PvE.

The difference between stamDK and magDK is huge when it comes to gear, skills and build, the difference in PvP is also huge. In addition in PvE a magDK or a stamDK has to decide which role he wants to play (tank and DD) and needs to gear/build for that role.

I'm referring to pvp. Sorry I forgot to say it.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first is flame based, has bad sustain and will not get you into trial groups because people won't like you stealing their unbalance with your whip. The second is poison based, has infinite sustain and the only problem you'll have in trials is fighting over who runs Sunderflame and who runs Morag Tong :D
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a 5 star dk on console. I've played as a dk for about 3 years and what I can tell u is that:

Mag dk is good class, combo based and hard to master. Good for group play and it's already very robust even with light armour (if u use the correct setup). In heavy armour it's nothing more than a tank that's does damage. You can kill almost every one if u have the patience.

Stam dk Is a non existent class. It's have no identity. It's all about weapon skills.
    We have take flight and two Stam dots. But that's is not enough to make Stam dk good. Everything one Stam dk does all other classes does better and with more options.

The viable option is to be a tank, but i don't think it's your case.
    Back then when we had proc sets Stam dks were more visible in cirodill and after that almost all good Stam dks turned to magika.

It's rare to find people doing well as Stam today. And it's notable that they could do better if they were with another class.
    Edited by Vesper_BR on October 16, 2017 5:49PM
    VESPER BR - MAGICKA DRAGONKNIGHT - GRAND OVERLORD + FLAWLESS CONQUEROR (1070 CP / 01-01-2018)
    XBOX ONE - NA - EBONHEART PACT BRASIL
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    As always forgive my English, since it's not my main language.
    VESPER BR - MAGICKA DRAGONKNIGHT - GRAND OVERLORD + FLAWLESS CONQUEROR (1070 CP / 01-01-2018)
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vesper_BR wrote: »

Stam dk Is a non existent class. It's have no identity. It's all about weapon skills.
    We have take flight and two Stam dots. But that's is not enough to make Stam dk good. Everything one Stam dk does all other classes does better and with more options. .

StamDK is currently top DPS on PC NA. I won't even dare to day it s a non existent class. It lacks some identity but by no way is non existent.

In PvP, there are tons of videos showing stamDK 1vX
    Edited by Xvorg on October 16, 2017 5:54PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

How many of the skills being used are DK Skills?

I tried a Stamina DK once, until I realized that all the good skills are Magic in that class. Heck, even my Tank uses Magic Morphs on the DK skills

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another question is shacklebreaker a good set for a magicka build? I'm considering in combining with BSW.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Xvorg wrote: »

How many of the skills being used are DK Skills?

I tried a Stamina DK once, until I realized that all the good skills are Magic in that class. Heck, even my Tank uses Magic Morphs on the DK skills

It's true, but stamDK has a better use of DK passives
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Crom_CCCXVI
    Crom_CCCXVI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many differences and multiple builds for each, your not going to find one build that is so much better than the others
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mag dk takes a valuable spot where a stamina dps will out perform it everytime. did i mention horrible sustain without off balance?

stam dks are currently the highest parsing class single target with great sustain.

i think the choice is obvious between the two
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't let those PvE folks fool you into making a stamDk.
    You said you wanted it for PvP.
    Well stamDk is a small scale class that has no utility to offer.(MagDk is so much better in the same role by the way, they are almost unbeatable 1v1 and anyone saying you otherwise has no clue about the meta)
    Anyways back to stamDK, Its strenght is tied with the power of heavy armor/weapon skills.
    because being a StamDk means having no class skills except two dots.
    Yes you heard me right. no gapcloser,no spammable, no execute, no steak no dark deal no bird spam none of that stuff.
    If you're really really bad at PvP and you just don't wanna die, go ahead and make a stamDk, get some tanky items and you will tank a lot of people with no problems.
    IF what you want is a strong fighter who can tank, sadly that stamDK died with morrowind.
    For that role stamina Warden is probably the best class right now.
    (in fact its probably the second best stamina class, with number one being stam nightblades)
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on October 17, 2017 12:33AM
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well stamDk is a small scale class that has no utility to offer.(MagDk is so much better in the same role by the way, they are almost unbeatable 1v1 and anyone saying you otherwise has no clue about the meta)
    Anyways back to stamDK, Its strenght is tied with the power of heavy armor/weapon skills.
    Yes you heard me right. no gapcloser,no spammable, no execute, no steak no dark deal no bird spam none of that stuff.
    If you're really really bad at PvP and you just don't wanna die, go ahead and make a stamDk, get some tanky items and you will tank a lot of people with no problems.
    IF what you want is a strong fighter who can tank, sadly that stamDK died with morrowind.
    (in fact its probably the second best stamina class, with number one being stam nightblades)

I'll point out that he means no reliable class gap closer and no class execute. ZoS killed the Y-Axis of a DK's chains and dragon leap. Basically if someone's about four steps up or down from you- you can't use your gap closer or ultimate. DK's have to rely on weapon executes (which, unfortunately, only applies to stam DKs)
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    That's the reason I insist in asking for changes in our gap closer. One of two choices: or make stone fist our gap closer or make chains work similar to other gap closer skills.
    Edited by Vesper_BR on October 17, 2017 1:40AM
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    For PVE MagDK isn't in a great spot unfortunately, sustain is bad without off balance and it takes up a melee spot where stam DDs can do a lot more DPS. Zos keeps gutting this class.
    For PVP it's good in duels but you're kinda forced into permablocking for survival and doesn't bring much to the table for group utility. Also no executes and DOTs get purged constantly which is frustrating.
    I still play it though as I like the class and it's my main.

Can't say much about StamDK as I'm still working on mine, but it does have the highest single target damage in PVE at the moment.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A stamDK build that can compete in PvP has access to dragon leap, venomous claw, obsidion shield+mending+700 stam return and maaaayby fossilize+700 stam return, resources return upon casting ulty. This is a competitive build.

MagDK has access to every class ability.

Edited by GeorgeBlack on October 17, 2017 2:23AM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A stamDK build that can compete in PvP has access to dragon leap, venomous claw, obsidion shield+mending+700 stam return and maaaayby fossilize+700 stam return, resources return upon casting ulty. This is a competitive build.

MagDK has access to every class ability.

3 seconds of major mending is very pointless with vigor tho. you only get 3 ticks of vigor out of it.(and you can only cast it like 2 times in a row cus the cost is huge)
    Even with that its 10 times better than that garbage green dragon blood.I even tried using igneous+GDB and the heal is still so tiny it can't even come close to vigor even when Im at like %10 hp.

Meanwhile magDK can utilize igneous shield fully but they don't because the stupid skill costs more than the heal itself.
    You might aswell heal twice instead.
    The shield itself is something like 2-3k in PvP, Its gone with a single light attack.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on October 17, 2017 2:52AM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaburns wrote: »

I'll point out that he means no reliable class gap closer and no class execute. ZoS killed the Y-Axis of a DK's chains and dragon leap. Basically if someone's about four steps up or down from you- you can't use your gap closer or ultimate. DK's have to rely on weapon executes (which, unfortunately, only applies to stam DKs)

That is true. Take flight is strong but unreliable.
    Chains are a joke, not even zergsurfing Potato Dks use that anymore. Which is funny considering the ability is best used in a zerging situation.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The argument is valid for most stamina classes, both PvE and PvP: they all use weapon skills since few of the class abilities have stamina morphs, but some of them are nevertheless used for utility even if they are magicka. Nightblade has the most stamina morphs, yet it ends up using mostly weapon skills for DPS. Surprise Attack, Ambush and Incapacitating Strike are the ones you actively use in PvP. In PvE only the first is used. You also have some utility skills like Relentless Focus (for the berserk and the stamina recovery since the bow is hard to proc on stamina), and maybe Leeching Strikes for some recovery. You also use Mass Hysteria and Deadly Cloak. So that's a maximum of 7/12 class skills. I use 5/12 class skills on my stamina DK (Venom Claw, Noxious Breath, Molten Armaments, Volatile Armor, Take Flight), 2/12 guild skills (Camouflage Hunter and Flawless Dawnbreaker - for the passive), 1 Assault skill (Resolving Vigor) and 4/12 weapon skills (Reverse Slice, Dizzying Swing/Critical Rush, Rally, Poison Injection) so saying class is useless goes too far since nearly half are class skills, just 2 less than the NB.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll a female dunmer DK. That's OP.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Roll a female dunmer DK. That's OP.

A female fire-breathing dunmer DK.

Even better if she goes molten armaments-> flames of oblivion -> engulfing flames.

Not in a fight, just hanging around waiting for the action to start ;)
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In ZOS's eyes. They are both walking shields worthy of nerfs. MagDK is supposed to be slow constant pressure, but since dots are bad, that method isn't great. StamDK PvP is meant to be largely how it is now. Apply a debuff, hold out, ulti madafakr.

Honestly, outside of different skills thee "meta" is played similar. Mag is CC, tank, build ulti. Kill. Stamina is tonk harder, build ulti. Kill.
    Edited by ak_pvp on October 17, 2017 10:58PM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, the reason that mDK won't be comparable to other classes in PVP is because we can't apply the "pressure" that ZoS says we can. Unlike bleed builds- our fire DoTs are easily cleansed, healed through, and/or not as strong as a stamina-based character. The counter to the current perma-shield/perma-block build is bleed damage.

On top of that, a stamina-based build can apply bleeds, poison, and then execute from weapon abilities.

I have one of the strongest, highest damage builds out there- and it's still hard to get killing blows. Sure- you can get "assists" in kills- but your damage is seldom strong enough to get the killing blow.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaburns wrote: »
    Sadly, the reason that mDK won't be comparable to other classes in PVP is because we can't apply the "pressure" that ZoS says we can. Unlike bleed builds- our fire DoTs are easily cleansed, healed through, and/or not as strong as a stamina-based character. The counter to the current perma-shield/perma-block build is bleed damage.

On top of that, a stamina-based build can apply bleeds, poison, and then execute from weapon abilities.

I have one of the strongest, highest damage builds out there- and it's still hard to get killing blows. Sure- you can get "assists" in kills- but your damage is seldom strong enough to get the killing blow.

Please tell me how dots from stamina are not easily purged while magicka one yes. It makes no sense man. And you're only talking about fighting a Templar (funny fact,I tried dueling one with a stamina dot build and guess what? He just purged everything)
    Vs everything else ?
    Magdk can pressure an opponent infinitely better than a stamina one,and still finishing him with ferocious leap.
    A magdk can play heavy or light effectively, as a stamina dk you're forced to play heavy (and you can't with clockwork since nerfs)
    My opinion? Make a magdk,it brings more utility to your group,more damage,more tankyness(you can use mist form to survive x people) and a lot easier.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »
    Another question is shacklebreaker a good set for a magicka build? I'm considering in combining with BSW.

I use this set up with bloodspawn and love it
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »

I use this set up with bloodspawn and love it

Thank you for reply. I was not sure if shacklebreaker was a good option...