The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Crown Mimic Stones (Misleading)////(Resloved)

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For solo players Mimic stones are not 'a waste' because access to them is usually behind content we don't run... and while we could buy them off guild traders, some at a pretty hefty sum, IMO it's much easier just to use Mimic stones.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, OP getting ripped to shreds in this post.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chaz wrote: »
    Thanks for reading.

That's not false advertising. To avoid insulting you as much as possible, this is a reading comprehension issue. Known clearly meant known to you.
    Edited by lagrue on October 9, 2017 4:57PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i agree that this is disturbing and should not be this way.
    i to was upset when i finally realized what it meant.
    it should allow to craft in all styles just like it is said in the description.

You realize that it actually does that, right? You can craft in all the styles you know, no matter what kind of style mat you might need. I received a master writ for an Ashlander shield. I know the style, I had no style mat to make it. I used a mimic stone. I crafted an Ashlander shield.

Know what I can't use a mimic stone for? A style like Silken Ring that I don't know yet. Silken Ring, for me, is not a known style. [yet; several million more gold and I'll know it....] Any way, that is what the crown store actually says. I got this off the crown store page.

Mimic stones act as universal style items, enabling crafting in any known style.

Now, if the description said "Mimic stones act as universal style items, enabling crafting in all styles." then it should be all styles in the game, whether your characters knows them or not. But that isn't what the description says.

• lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks man, I interpreted their use the same way you did and was about to buy some to complete a writ I had. Now I can avoid wasting my money.

They seem utterly useless in the way they actually work. Nobody has trouble finding style materials for styles they already know.

Good luck finding style materials for 'Grim Harlequin' and 'Stalhrim Frostcaster'

Oh, you mean the two least used motifs ever? I think everyone will be OK.

Jokes on you, I sell Stahlrim Pieces for as high as 8k each and they sell within hours of listing. Obviously there is a demand for some people, since it doesn't drop in-game.
    Thanks man, I interpreted their use the same way you did and was about to buy some to complete a writ I had. Now I can avoid wasting my money.

They seem utterly useless in the way they actually work. Nobody has trouble finding style materials for styles they already know.

Good luck finding style materials for 'Grim Harlequin' and 'Stalhrim Frostcaster'

Heh, I buy crown mimic stones just for this reason. I have Frostcaller so I'm able to make like 60 pieces of gear, dismantle them all for as many Stalhrim Shards as I can get, and on PS4 atleast, they sell for upwards of 6-8k each and are relatively quick sale in my guild store, gone in under 24 hours. In a sense I make mimic stones P2W for Gold, call me cancer or what - but I'm pretty sure Stalhrim has no actual drops in the game, it didn't before, and can only be generated this way - so in a sense I'm doing Tamriel a favour by slowly trickling in shards.
    Edited by lagrue on October 9, 2017 5:01PM
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

• wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if trolling or just clueless. Either way, you're today's N'wah of the Day.
    S2rDxAy.png

Agreed! And 2nd this motion!! ^^^
    Huzzah!!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mickey_Ox wrote: »
    “Can craft any known style” seems pretty self explanatory to me
    agree.gif

Never occurred to me that someone could read it and think "any style the game knows about" ...
    confused24.gif

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping to farm agrees on this thread for the op's mistake, too late as it's past the first page
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is just like the "bought a race token without the any race/any alliance upgrade" post a while back.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    I was hoping to farm agrees on this thread for the op's mistake, too late as it's past the first page

Take an agree from me. :)
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

• Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll admit I read it 4 or 5 times since it initially seemed pointless to me. Also, imho there is no pay to win on crafting. I see buying potions as cheating, but paying to look pretty doesn't hurt the game at all. Also, I saved my free crown gems from the promotional crown crates, so if I actually need one, I'll use the free gems.
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok boi's and Gurls,

today I like to talk to you about Mimic Stones.

So, after purchase in the CROWN store, I was sadly once again mislead in FALSE advertising.

The crown store says (CRAFT """ANY""" known Style) , actually is says:

"YOU CAN CRAFT IT, BUT ONLY IF YOU LEARNED THE MOTIF FOR SAID ITEM"

Is this serious? RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!

RIDICULOUS!!

I hear your frustration, @chaz While "craft any known style" does seem to make perfect sense within the current functionality for those stones, something seems to stir in the ole memory banks about me having this exact same misunderstanding when the mimic stones first debuted back in the day.

I will say this however that if mimic stones could craft ANY motif item regardless of motif knowledge, ZOS would probably make some exceptional additional income from them.
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So why would we need motifs if anyone can just PAY TO WIN?

Yeah, no. Sick of so much P2W on crafting as it is.

Pay to win? They're cosmetic style motifs.
    Character Profiles:
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's somewhat misleading, but it does state "known" styles.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

How exactly is a crafting style Pay to Win?

Are you the fanciest dressed in all of Cyrodiil? Equals automatic Emperor?

Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was very clear that it meant to me that it referred to styles you knew, not any style that existed - otherwise we'd have people running around in Worm Cult, etc. gear. And that'd be an actually valid case of pay to win arguments. I don't think it was misleading.

How exactly is a crafting style Pay to Win?

While I disagree that it's pay to win (and even then significantly less so than something like research scrolls), the argument to be made is that a crafter can advertise their services as being able to craft in all styles, including ones that were literally just released.
    Edited by rhapsodious on October 9, 2017 6:43PM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ok boi's and Gurls,

today I like to talk to you about Mimic Stones.

So, after purchase in the CROWN store, I was sadly once again mislead in FALSE advertising.

The crown store says (CRAFT """ANY""" known Style) , actually is says:

600 crowns (Bind on equipt)

This item allows you to craft items any known style.

Ok, so I get them in hopes I'm going to be able to "CRAFT" a draugr style Staff.

Nope, doesn't work that way. It wasn't until I did reseach on the "Internet" that I found the meaning of "Any known stlye' does not apply to known styles in the game, but "known" to you. Meaning, this item, the crown mimic stone that says you can craft an item, is actually stating "YOU CAN CRAFT IT, BUT ONLY IF YOU LEARNED THE MOTIF FOR SAID ITEM"

How is this waste of crowns useful? How does it help me craft an item I SO DESPERATELY WANT, but only if I learn how to make it by getting it's craft motif first?

Is this serious? RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!

RIDICULOUS!! ZoS, I like you to post and justify the selling of an item that for one, does not CLEARLY state what you are buying and or how to even use it. Second, so many of us suckers now have been buying this useless item, I want to return mine back to you for the full 600 crowns I wasted on it. I stuck it in my bank.

If I already know by reading a motif to learn how to make weapons and armor, why the hell would I purchase a mimic stone to craft the item if I already know how to craft it, and have plenty of materials to craft said armor or weapons?

Why?

Why would I do that?

Why on Dagon's Green Earth would I purchase something to do what I can already do?

Why!

My GAWD man, I have been with this series for so long long and Eso from day zero and it's only now I'm becoming a bit more irritated over just what many things I'm coming across are just stupid, and seeing so many people complain and yet nothing ever happens to justify it.

I'm sorry man, even the ladies, but I want to be spending my time on these boards posting about something in far more better quality in quantity then wasting my time trolling about a useless item and it's false advertising.

I really love this game, I really do, but the people running it, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No really, O........M..................G!!!!!!!!! How am I supposed to keep my respect for you? When things like this happen?
    I'll try but it's not gonna be easy.

Thanks for reading.

well yes, the tooltip could be a bit less confusing, but yes, it means only those that you already know
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tan9oSuccka

rwVGW.gif

Character Profiles:
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well to be fair when they first announced them on the pts I thought they were going to be a transmog system but yea op should have looked up what they did before buying them if they were confused.
    OP might be able to get zos to reverse the transaction assuming they haven't used any.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because there are styles you CANNOT find materials for in game.

You're lucky that all the motifs you know can be made with in game materials

But there are several motifs that you can never craft now without mimic stones
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 4 and two of those are obtainable during their events (hollowjack and skinchanger)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is this waste of crowns useful?

Ever tried collecting Night Pumice, Grindstones or Stalhrim Shards to make a set of gear? Yeah... Mimic Stones are nice to have for stuff like that. Replacing the Draugr style mat? I could see it, but that stuff's pretty easy to come by.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 4 and two of those are obtainable during their events (hollowjack and skinchanger)

Technically, you can get style stones for the event motifs during said events. I've got over 1k Hollowjack motif stones, for instance.
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can only imagine the outrage if it meant what OP thought it meant... Then people could craft in Monster and other unique styles since the game knows them. They would probably sell extremely well if that was the case though.

If it makes you feel any better there were also people who bought the Shadowghost Pony before realizing it wasn't a mount.
    One of the greatest resources we have in game is that of other players knowledge. I suggest asking in one of your guilds(so you don't get troll answers) before purchasing crown items that you aren't 100% sure on what they do.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, you mean the two least used motifs ever? I think everyone will be OK.

I wouldnt say theyre least used. I often craft for others, and usually they prefer rare styles.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to know that purchase only ice thing motif
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk why people give so much *** to others.. i can see where he got confused.. he obv thought it was any style known in the game, meaning any available style and not any known style that you know.. cut people some slack, its a mistake, maybe hes not a crafter at all.. and maybe the wording should be a bit different like any style one of your characters has researched.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to know that purchase only ice thing motif

It should come back this year in Winter, so you'll have another chance to buy it. Buy like any motif, ZOS should really put it in the game, even if super rare or even through Master Writ to spice up vouchers again.
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

• Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it should allow to craft in all styles just like it is said in the description.

but it doesnt say that. it says in any known style. not all styles, any style. any KNOWN style. if you cant tell the difference that word makes, you need to finish school.
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itzTJ wrote: »
    idk why people give so much *** to others.. i can see where he got confused.. he obv thought it was any style known in the game, meaning any available style and not any known style that you know.. cut people some slack, its a mistake, maybe hes not a crafter at all.. and maybe the wording should be a bit different like any style one of your characters has researched.

I think what the majority of people are pointing out is that this guy got absolutely enraged over a mismatch between what he thought the item did and what it actually does. It'd be one thing if he was just confused, or miffed, but he goes on and on in the OP about being "misled" by ZOS when from the replies it's clear to most people what the item is intended for.

In other words, it's not the message, but the delivery.