Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Looking for Advice (New to ESO PvP)

Daedric_NB_187
Daedric_NB_187
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello all. I've only been playing ESO for about a month now. Mainly leveling up my character and learning how to use my class. I played as a Magblade for the first half and switched over to a Stamblade about two weeks ago. Right now, I am CP 221.

I went to Cyrodiil and was completely lost there. I didn't know where to go or what I should be doing. I managed to get to IC and start the quest line for the DLC. I'm not really trying to do the PvE quests right now. I'm looking to get into the action. I went to one of our keeps that was being attacked, but got there too late.Hence why I continued on to IC lol. But anyways. I'm asking what should I be doing to start out in PvPing? I'm not really looking to do Battlegrounds just yet because I want to become more familiar with my class. I want to get into the open world PvP.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh yeah. I play on Xbox 1 NA.
  • Barbaran
    Barbaran
    ✭✭✭✭
    duel alot.
    you will find most people willing to duel at the undaunted enclave ( mornhold, grahtwood, stormhaven).
    dueling will help you learn your pvp/class roations and movements.
    be prepared to die alot at the start, even for a while.
    but with every loss think of what happend and what you can do better next time.
    and do not chaulk it up to "he has better gear" or "he has more cp"
    those may give an edge but are not necissarily deciding factors.
    the way thE CP tree works now, by about 300-400 CP your more or less on par with a max cp, the max cp player mostly just gets extra points to put into utility trees
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some tips for Cyrodiil pvp.

- In Cyrodiil, once an hour go kill a delve boss. This offers a buff (shown on character sheet) called Blessing of War, which boosts all AP gains by 20% for an hour.

- work up Legerdemain to 16. A nightblade can reeeeeeally use the 40% reduced sneak cost...this is a very powerful passive. It’s pretty quick...once per day go load up on stolen crap from the Wrothgar Inn complex or the Daggerfall ships at port and fence/launder your daily max. Doing this about a dozen times when you start playing will get you to leg 16 and allow you to max this out.

- play the busiest campaign on your server. Some people think that to learn you should play the less populated servers, but this generally means you’ll get ganged up on, lol. The busy servers will put you in big battles, and even if you die a lot that’s what pvp is about.

- carry the pvp repeatable quests. At one of your home bases you’ll find five repeatable quests. Carry these, they’re a good source of AP. And if you get a sucky one (like capturing a keep far in enemy lines your team will never go for) you can abandon the quest and try for an easier one.

- join a group. Put out a LFG zone chat and you’ll almost always get a PUG invite. You don’t have to Zerg, but being in a good group will teach you a lot about how Cyrodiil works. Just listening to group members jabber will teach you a lot, lol. People generally don’t care if you use a mic or not, but if you don’t let them know via a group chat.

- play to your strengths. As a stamblade, you have definitive strengths and weaknesses in pvp, and the faster you learn these the more fun pvp will be. Stamblades stink at walking up to others in open terrain and picking a face to face fight, you’ll get slaughtered. You’re about stealth and burst damage. If in a group, let your team whittle someone down and then show up to murder them when they’re weakened and think they know the odds. Attack from range when you can and then hide. Look for places to set a trap, like doorways and breaches.

- sometimes be reckless. I play stamblade pvp with a stamblade buddy, and sometimes I pull off a move and he’s like “how the #@*$ did you do that?” It’s because sometimes in solo pvp I go out and try bat crap crazy stuff to learn my limits. Like, for example, finding five humans on the porch of one of their outposts with a ton of NPCs, then picking one player and trying to sneak up and kill them specifically. I’m going to die with five humans on me in the middle of a bunch of their NPCs, but I can practice surviving as long as possible (and it’s always funny). I can sit in the middle of sieging enemies because I’ve practiced learning where my detection radius is. I can survive inside an enemy inner keep because I know where the best spots to hide are, and how likely it is they’ll be searched. This comes from many, many, many, many, many deaths pulling off stupid stuff and helping DC and EP earn their AP, lol.

- supplies you’ll need. Some things to carry in pvp.

Food. Always buff w food. For my stamblade I personally prefer tri stat, like Jugged Rabbit in Preserve. I cloak a lot, so this is more helpful to me than the health plus stam blue food, because I need the magic.

Potions. I carry a couple different kinds, and “make your own” pots are way more powerful than pick up garbage. (Make sure to invest in the passive making their effects last longer)

A. Tri stat restore: good old bugloss, columbine and dragon thorn. Use these in battles, but learn to use them when at 50%, not when you’re almost dead, ha.
    B. Stamblade escape: restore magic, health and unstoppable, bugloss columbine and wormwood. I use these when I need extra magic to stealth across a gap or to get away from enemies hunting me. Or to get into resource towers.
    C. Invisible speed: blessed thistle, blue entoloma and Namiras rot. The trick here is that you cannot take damage or use an ability or the pot is broken, but these give you the ability to create a HUGE gap between you and the enemy. It’s risky, but I play a bow build and use these to get into a breach and up on a tower in an enemy keep. Then I can snipe from behind their lines. Or if you need to get the heck out of dodge, these are really helpful.

Siege. It’s a good idea to carry ballistas or stone trebuchets to help take down walls. Meat catapults are good for defense.

Repair kits: carry wall and door repair kits. I personally buy these w gold to convert gold into AP. But this is a good way to supplement your AP leveling either way. When it’s slow repair some walls. And you can practice another barcrap crazy stamblade maneuver - repairing a breach behind an enemy somthey cant get reinforcements. (Hint: most wall gaps can be repaired from on top, where you’re a bit more out of reach).

If this post was helpful, feel free to upvote it so I can collect the entirely unnecessary badges, lol. If you have questions, feel free to reply using @davey1107 in the reply so the system flags the comment and I’ll see it to answer.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best guide I have ever found for PVP is @Joy_Division 's guide for PVP during the Midyear Mayhem Festival. This says everything I could tell you far better than I could explain it: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/360956/joy-s-advice-for-midyear-mayhem-event
  • Daedric_NB_187
    Daedric_NB_187
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your suggestions. @davey1107 and @VaranisArano thank you for the outstanding guides. Those really provided me with everything I needed to know as a beginner. I have been in Cyrodill for the past couple of days and learned a lot. But the info y'all provided will help to vastly improve my performance and knowledge there.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All great advice in this thread. Only thing I'd add is to upgrade your mount and make sure to never run it out of stamina when riding. Nothing stinks more than being ganked off your horse.