Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wildly inconsistent frames with above-recommended specs.

OrbitStorm
OrbitStorm
✭✭
Current recommended requirements for Morrowind:
Intel® Core i5 2300 or AMD FX4350
8GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 750 or AMD Radeon™ HD 7850

I'm currently running an AMD FX-6300 and a MSI GTX 950, with 16 GB DDR3 System RAM.

Settings:
Frames fluctuate between 30-60, notably dipping lower in cities (e.g. 40-50fps in Vulkhel Guard) but generally anywhere around other players or during inclement weather (i.e. thunderstorms). I've seen posts before that the game suffers from poor optimization but even so, most benchmarks rank my current setup significantly higher than the recommended requirements for the game and I'm struggling on Medium settings. Something seems off here, especially given how erratic the frames are with V-Sync enabled.

Are there any tweaks that can be made that won't cause a huge loss in quality, to get closer to stable 60fps? I'll settle for 50, so long as I'm not getting frequent dips that causes weird stuttering.

Thanks!

EDIT: FWIW, I've noticed when monitoring resource usage that my processor doesn't exceed 60% usage and my GPU hovers around 55-60% usage. Doesn't make much sense to me that my frames are dipping with usage so low.
Edited by OrbitStorm on September 24, 2017 8:49PM
PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • DanStartheFirst
    DanStartheFirst
    ✭✭✭
    OrbitStorm wrote: »
    Current recommended requirements for Morrowind:
    Intel® Core i5 2300 or AMD FX4350
    8GB System RAM
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 750 or AMD Radeon™ HD 7850

I'm currently running an AMD FX-6300 and a MSI GTX 950, with 16 GB DDR3 System RAM.

Settings:
    Frames fluctuate between 30-60, notably dipping lower in cities (e.g. 40-50fps in Vulkhel Guard) but generally anywhere around other players or during inclement weather (i.e. thunderstorms). I've seen posts before that the game suffers from poor optimization but even so, most benchmarks rank my current setup significantly higher than the recommended requirements for the game and I'm struggling on Medium settings. Something seems off here, especially given how erratic the frames are with V-Sync enabled.

Are there any tweaks that can be made that won't cause a huge loss in quality, to get closer to stable 60fps? I'll settle for 50, so long as I'm not getting frequent dips that causes weird stuttering.

Thanks!

EDIT: FWIW, I've noticed when monitoring resource usage that my processor doesn't exceed 60% usage and my GPU hovers around 55-60% usage. Doesn't make much sense to me that my frames are dipping with usage so low.

vram limit could be a possibility with a 2gb card
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your local hardware is irrelevant when you have server lag.

ESO uses a hybrid model with only rudimentary server/client prediction and unfortunately server side lag does affect local fps as a result.
    dry.gif
  • DanStartheFirst
    DanStartheFirst
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

ESO uses a hybrid model with only rudimentary server/client prediction and unfortunately server side lag does affect local fps as a result.
    dry.gif

that could be it i use 1.3gb of vram in ultra

Edit: Well dependent on area 1.3-2.1gb
    Edited by DanStartheFirst on September 25, 2017 11:39PM
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the adaptive settings add-on. It will dynamically adjust the draw distance when fps drops. The game is very single core CPU dependent in populated areas. Draw distance has a significant impact on fps in populated areas.
  • OrbitStorm
    OrbitStorm
    ✭✭
    Check out the adaptive settings add-on. It will dynamically adjust the draw distance when fps drops. The game is very single core CPU dependent in populated areas. Draw distance has a significant impact on fps in populated areas.

Is there any way to configure the addon to adjust just the draw distance if that is the bottleneck in populated areas? Maybe I overlooked it but after installing it and browsing the settings, I didn't see any way to set that up. It made my graphics significantly worse, even in areas I normally get a stable 60 frames in on high, so it seems to overreach a bit.
  • OrbitStorm
    OrbitStorm
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

dry.gif

Any way to differentiate the two beyond just latency? I typically hover just around 100ms on NA.
  • OrbitStorm
    OrbitStorm
    ✭✭
    vram limit could be a possibility with a 2gb card

I'm not saying you're wrong but the GTX 950 is astronomically better than the recommended GTX 750. If my GPU is somehow a limitation on performance, then that would suggest that their listed minimum and recommended requirements are blatantly misleading. I would hope that isn't the case.

Frankly though, all of this talk about the game not having support for multi-thread processors suggests their listed requirements are completely bogus as it is.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OrbitStorm wrote: »

Is there any way to configure the addon to adjust just the draw distance if that is the bottleneck in populated areas? Maybe I overlooked it but after installing it and browsing the settings, I didn't see any way to set that up. It made my graphics significantly worse, even in areas I normally get a stable 60 frames in on high, so it seems to overreach a bit.

Make sure you downloaded adaptive settings, not advanced settings. It sounds like you did the latter.

Adaptive Settings allows you to set minimum frame rates and it will adjust draw distance based on your settings. It can also adjust other settings dynamically. I just have it adjust draw distance though.

EDIT: the addon is here: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1239-VotansAdaptiveVideo-Settings.html
    Edited by JasonSilverSpring on September 26, 2017 11:04AM