Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

"CHUDAN'S REVENGE" | High Mobility/Damage/Tanky MagDK PvP Build | UPDATED for Summerset!

• Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »
    Hutch679 wrote: »
    0 points in thaum?

Yup, not running alot of DoT's and most of a magdk's skills are direct damage.

Burning talons dot, engulfing flames dot, deep breath dot, burning embers dot, entropy dot, volatile armor dot, flames of oblivion dot...

True, DK's do have alot of DoT damage, but DoT's generally aren't what finish people off because you have things like vigor and rally ticks basically nullifying any DoT damage you do as a DK. Even mutagen/rapid regen can outheal a DK's DoT's. Templars can just erase your DoT damage completely. Hence why I don't stack thaumaturge or anything else to buff DoT damage. It's not worth, direct damage is the way to go for Magicka DK.

I was mentioning the dots mostly for valkyn skoria and pointing out the fact that dk skills are in fact NOT primarily direct damage, but dot damage.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    0 points in thaum?

Yup, not running alot of DoT's and most of a magdk's skills are direct damage.

Burning talons dot, engulfing flames dot, deep breath dot, burning embers dot, entropy dot, volatile armor dot, flames of oblivion dot...

True, DK's do have alot of DoT damage, but DoT's generally aren't what finish people off because you have things like vigor and rally ticks basically nullifying any DoT damage you do as a DK. Even mutagen/rapid regen can outheal a DK's DoT's. Templars can just erase your DoT damage completely. Hence why I don't stack thaumaturge or anything else to buff DoT damage. It's not worth, direct damage is the way to go for Magicka DK.

I was mentioning the dots mostly for valkyn skoria and pointing out the fact that dk skills are in fact NOT primarily direct damage, but dot damage.

Every one of those skills you mentioned, except for the last 3, also have a direct damage component, alongside the DoT part.
    Flame lash=direct damage
    First hit of Burning embers=direct damage with DoT
    First hit of engulfing flames=direct damage with DoT
    Chains=direct damage
    Inferno=direct damage
    Talons=AoE direct damage with dot if you choose that morph, otherwise it's just direct damage.
    Deep Breath=AoE direct damage
    Leap=AoE direct damage
    Stone Giant=direct damage

That's 9 direct damage skills including the ones that have DoT's built in. There are only 5 DoT damage skills, including the ones that also have direct damage.

About Valkyn...it's okay against every class except for templars imo.
    Edited by Akinos on September 14, 2017 5:36PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    so with the skills you just mention that have both direct dmg & are also dots, when adjusting my cp which would give them a better boost in damage putting the points to raise direct dmg or still the dot dmg which is where I have them now
    * Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
    **MBF**
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not both?
    You surely will have good benefits if you put points into thaum and master at arms, especially since cp‘s are frontloaded. So a few points into thaum surely arent a waste, but some points in master at arms are crucial. How about you put 25% of the cp‘s you want to spend into thaum and the other 75% into master at arms (percentage of the amount of cp‘s you actually want to spend for that, since you surely also have some in elemental expert, spellerosion, etc)?
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy thread necro batman :open_mouth: ! Anyways My usual CP layout is 73 master at arms, 56 ele expert, 56 elfborn and 55 spell erosion and that works pretty well for everything. Lately though i've been using 56 master at arms, 56 ele, 56 elfborn, 56 spell erosion and 16 shattering blows.

I don't believe putting points into thaumaturge is very useful anymore like it used to be back when CP was new. Direct damage is generally how most classes get kills anyways, aside from maybe templars.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if the build is from last year. I still like what I see on paper a lot. Chudan is a set that is really slept on. Thanks for the insightful posts Akinos.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy thread necro batman :open_mouth: ! Anyways My usual CP layout is 73 master at arms, 56 ele expert, 56 elfborn and 55 spell erosion and that works pretty well for everything. Lately though i've been using 56 master at arms, 56 ele, 56 elfborn, 56 spell erosion and 16 shattering blows.

I don't believe putting points into thaumaturge is very useful anymore like it used to be back when CP was new. Direct damage is generally how most classes get kills anyways, aside from maybe templars.

After 15-20% your dot DMG isn't increasing as much as direct DMG spells that have higher tooltips. Like for Templar, jabs has a 3k tolltip under certain conditions. So going from 20% to 23% is not going to be you amazing kills. But around 17% you'll see the most benefit, while sticking those points towards other CP that are below 20%.

Great writeup and thread!
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if the build is from last year. I still like what I see on paper a lot. Chudan is a set that is really slept on. Thanks for the insightful posts Akinos.

I've been wanting to make an updated guide for this build since it has changed since I made this thread.....procrastination OP though xD
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been wanting to make an updated guide for this build since it has changed since I made this thread.....procrastination OP though xD

Procrastination has been defeated. Thread and build updated for the current and upcoming update, Summerset. Enjoy and discuss! :smiley:
    Edited by Akinos on April 24, 2018 7:28AM
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want Chudan for my nightblade. Ive wondered why more people dont use it. With it I can wear two 5 piece offensive sets.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want Chudan for my nightblade. Ive wondered why more people dont use it. With it I can wear two 5 piece offensive sets.

I've used it on my melee magblade several times before, works pretty good. People don't like sets like Chudan and Rattlecage it gives them something they can already get elsewhere...however those same people don't see the bigger picture and the reasoning behind using sets like those.
    Edited by Akinos on April 24, 2018 4:16PM
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used it on my melee magblade several times before, works pretty good. People don't like sets like Chudan and Rattlecage it gives them something they can already get elsewhere...however those same people don't see the bigger picture and the reasoning behind using sets like those.

To me it just makes so much sense. It basically gives the same as 5 piece fortified brass except with only 2 pieces required. Nobody would have to give up their offensive 5 piece medium or light armour.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To me it just makes so much sense. It basically gives the same as 5 piece fortified brass except with only 2 pieces required. Nobody would have to give up their offensive 5 piece medium or light armour.

It doesn't give the same. It just replaces your major armor buff and gives you 2975 armor gold with 1k health.

It saves you bar space to slot another defense or a damage ability. I would use this in my Templar if my entire mag Regen wasn't locked behind channeled focus :(.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

It doesn't give the same. It just replaces your major armor buff and gives you 2975 armor gold with 1k health.

It saves you bar space to slot another defense or a damage ability. I would use this in my Templar if my entire mag Regen wasn't locked behind channeled focus :(.

Saving bar space is the main reason to use it. Gonna need all the bar space you can get once the new skill line comes out... The defense and health it gives is just a bonus imo.
    Edited by Akinos on April 24, 2018 4:44PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Saving bar space is the main reason to use it. Gonna need all the bar space you can get once the new skill line comes out... The defense and health it gives is just a bonus imo.

I agree! I just wanted to make sure no one was slotting that set and pretending it can replace wizard/trans/brass/impreg for mitigation.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont get how it saves you a bar slot. I just wanted it for defense. Medium armour is squishy.
    If I were to remove a skill it would probably be leaching strikes. But I could do that with or without Chudans.
    Which psijjic skills do you want to use/try?
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I dont get how it saves you a bar slot. I just wanted it for defense. Medium armour is squishy.
    If I were to remove a skill it would probably be leaching strikes. But I could do that with or without Chudans.

What Minno is saying is that Chudan doesn't just grant 5280 resistances, it grants Major Ward and Major Resolve -- buffs that every class already has access to and almost always has in PVP. Templars get those buffs through Rune Focus, DKs through Volatile Armor, Wardens through Frost Cloak, Sorcerers through Lightning Form, and Nightblades get it for free just by casting a Shadow Ability (like Surprise Attack). Having more than one source of Major Ward/Resolve is useless; they don't stack with one another. So the only reason to run Chudan is if you want to free up a skill slot (since you won't have to slot Rune Focus etc. anymore). For nightblades, there is less reason to run the set than on any other class, since you already get pretty good uptime on those buffs without slotting anything you wouldn't ordinarily do (i.e. use Cloak, Surprise Attack, Fear, and Shade frequently).
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

What Minno is saying is that Chudan doesn't just grant 5280 resistances, it grants Major Ward and Major Resolve -- buffs that every class already has access to and almost always has in PVP. Templars get those buffs through Rune Focus, DKs through Volatile Armor, Wardens through Frost Cloak, Sorcerers through Lightning Form, and Nightblades get it for free just by casting a Shadow Ability (like Surprise Attack). Having more than one source of Major Ward/Resolve is useless; they don't stack with one another. So the only reason to run Chudan is if you want to free up a skill slot (since you won't have to slot Rune Focus etc. anymore). For nightblades, there is less reason to run the set than on any other class, since you already get pretty good uptime on those buffs without slotting anything you wouldn't ordinarily do (i.e. use Cloak, Surprise Attack, Fear, and Shade frequently).

This.

If your want an effective defensive monster helm you have 2 choices:
    - bloodspawn (gives around 6k resists that stack with your major ward/resolve buffs). Also gives stamina regeb and ultimate.
    - pirate Skelton. You'll need some bonus healing sources to counteract the minor defile, but 30% DMG mitigation reduces DMG before armor/block kicks into the equation so that percentage can be very effective. You'll just need to reposition right when the polymorph disappears so you can heal back to full.
    Edited by Minno on April 24, 2018 5:32PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

This.

If your want an effective defensive monster helm you have 2 choices:
    - bloodspawn (gives around 6k resists that stack with your major ward/resolve buffs). Also gives stamina regeb and ultimate.
    - pirate Skelton. You'll need some bonus healing sources to counteract the minor defile, but 30% DMG mitigation reduces DMG before armor/block kicks into the equation so that percentage can be very effective. You'll just need to reposition right when the polymorph disappears so you can heal back to full.

Shes a woodelf DW/SnB right now. Leveling SNB for the new healing dark cloak in summerset. Trying to do without 2H/rally. I get major brutality from flying dagger. She needs to be able to stand her ground and sustain with SNB.

I just figured Chudans would allow me to wear both 5 piece sets Draugr Hulk and strength of the Automaton.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I already put accelerate into the build on PTS, I explain why in the video. I messed around with time stop a lil bit also, theres a morph of that I could have alot of use with as a magdk.
    Edited by Akinos on April 24, 2018 10:01PM