The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Language-specific special characters are ignored by the game

Octopuss
Octopuss
✭✭✭✭✭
1-10 keys on czech keyboard are +ěščřžýáíé, but the game actually only recognizes +šžýáíé=.
Also when switching keyboards, the notification always says it was switched to english no matter what keyboard layout it actually is.

edit 2020 to better explain the problem: The client seems to not support Unicode charset at all, so it's most likely not specific to czech keyboard layout.
Edited by Octopuss on April 27, 2020 8:18AM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This really needs fixing!
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    1-10 keys on czech keyboard are +ěščřžýáíé, but the game actually only recognizes +šžýáíé=.
    Also when switching keyboards, the notification always says it was switched to english no matter what keyboard layout it actually is.
    Please read the following and do as requested: Guidelines For Bug Report Forum Also, you might be best served to post your report in the appropriate section of the Customer Support forum, since the cause of the problem could be in the hardware or operating system, and not a flaw in the game software.

Regardless, always include the platform and the megaserver on which you experience the problem that you are reporting. Also, please list the keys which the game client does not recognize. Trying to determine what is omitted from the string that you reported that the software does recognize is a puzzle that someone who does not use a Czech keyboard has no time to solve.

(1) Does the problem occur while you are entering text in the Chat User Interface? (I have no experience with Chat on the EU megaserver.)

(2) Does ESC > Controls > Standard Keybinds accept Shift+Digit as a valid key-bind for each of the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 keys, respectively?

Note that the first five digit keys are assigned by default to abilities on the Ability Bar, and the Shift key by default causes the character to "sprint" while it is held-down. So you might encounter problems while binding a feature or function to Shift+1, Shift+2, Shift+3, ... Shift+0. Or you will almost certainly experience problems using a Shift+Digit key combination during play.

You might avoid these problems by first changing the key-bind for Sprint to some other key, such as < R >. Just be aware that while you want your character to Sprint, you must be able to hold that key down and release it only to stop sprinting. So I would not recommend a key such as " (quotation mark).

Edited by Shadowshire on November 13, 2017 1:41AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea of game client not recognizing certain keys being a hardware or OS problem is ridiculous. Seriously, do you think I wouldn't have noticed it half the keys I use on daily basis didn't work outside of the game?
    Edited by Octopuss on November 13, 2017 8:26AM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, let's try again.
    The game client does not recognize certain czech language characters. On the czech keyboard, the 1-10 keys are as follows: "+ěščřžýáíé". The game does not recognize "ě", "ž", "č" and "ř".
    When I switch to czech keybord layout, the game says "lnput language changed to: english" instead of czech.
    Trying to type the above mentioned problematic characters into the chat does nothing at all.
    When switched to czech layout, the keybinds that have those key assigned change to garbage characters in the keybinds part of options:
    mPWY71W.png

Ability bar remains unaffected and shows numbers regardless of keyboard and the keys work.

It's also not an addon problem as I disabled all of them as a test first.

platform: PC
    server: EU
    Edited by Octopuss on November 13, 2017 8:29AM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bump
    not fixed yet
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is still not fixed even in 3.3 on PTS!
    Seriously, this can't be difficult to fix! Are you guys selectively ignoring bug reports or something?

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still not fixed. What the hell are you even doing there? Why should we even bother reporting bugs when you don't give a damn?
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Edited by Octopuss on February 13, 2018 1:16PM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still not fixed in 3.3.7.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am using Windows 7 btw.

Seriously.
    HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO FIX SUCH SMALL ANNOYANCES???????
    I reported this SEVEN MONTHS AGO!
    Edited by Octopuss on April 21, 2018 9:02AM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    16 months and you never even acknowledged the existance of the bug.
    This is why I uninstalled the game few months ago and will never give you any money again.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still not fixed even in a big update.
    What a joke of a company.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, a lot of characters from other languages too. It doesn't display some Welsh characters too
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That makes it even worse :#
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump, unicode support needed.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This can't be so difficult to fix...

Two and a half years and counting.
    Edited by Octopuss on April 27, 2020 8:19AM
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't recognise the '`' key on UK keyboards either - the key above Tab. Which is infuriating considering it's such an importantly useful key for the game.

As far as I can tell, they've NEVER addressed the issue of foreign keyboard/character issues ever.

Really annoying.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And they never will.
    They just ignore absolutely everything that's not a game-breaking bug.