Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

LA DK Pyromancer Build

Wump
Wump
✭✭✭
Hey all,

currently I'm thinking about switching my Imperial Stam DK to a Breton Mag DK. I feel I'm doing well with my Magblade, but as I always considered the DK as my favorite class I'd like to give a MagDK caster a go. But before investing in crowns to race Change I'm not fully convinced my set up will work, so I'd like to hear your feedback. The following aims at BGs, so no CP.
  1. I'm not interested in the typical MagDK Setup with heavy /SnB. What I'm looking for is a stereotypical Pyromancer build (Warhammer online anyone? ;) ), which means to me: Light Armor, Destro/Resto.
  2. I'm fully Aware that the MagDK isn't the go to class for ranged caster style, but I'd like to give it a try nonetheless. Therefore I'm thinking about a dmg set and a defensive set. Right now I'm leaning to: 5xSun (4 Body, Destro), 5 Riposte (1 Body, 3 Jewelry, Resto), Bloodspawn (defensive Option) or Skoria (offensive Option). I had good results with a similar Setup on my magblade (5 War Maiden, 5 Riposte, 2 Troll King/Skoria) so I feel experienced with this kind of Setup.
  3. I have BSW as well, but alway had the Feeling that Sun and its constant dmg Bonus is more suited to PvP? How do you rate Julianos after the last patch (didnt Play for a month)?
  4. Does the Sun 5 Piece-Bonus work for my heavy fire attacks? I have a infused Sun-Firestaff: should I go for Spell Dmg-Glyph, Oblivion Dmg-Glyph or Fire-Dmg-Glyph?
  5. All the above will Point to a glas cannon dd, I'm expecting to die a lot. Thats ok for me, its what a glas cannon is about, right? Dampen Magic should give at least a bit of survival, combined with Riposte I should be ok? Would you Slot any other defensive skills apart from Volatile Armor?

Would love to hear any Feedback regarding a LA Destro Caster DK. Any safe bets for me?

Best,

Wump

edit: typo
Edited by Wump on August 28, 2017 7:52AM
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wump wrote: »
    Hey all,

currently I'm thinking about switching my Imperial Stam DK to a Breton Mag DK. I feel I'm doing well with my Magblade, but as I always considered the DK as my favorite class I'd like to give a MagDK caster a go. But before investing in crowns to race Change I'm not fully convinced my set up will work, so I'd like to hear your feedback. The following aims at BGs, so no CP.
    1. I'm not interested in the typical MagDK Setup with heavy /SnB. What I'm looking for is a stereotypical Pyromancer build (Warhammer online anyone? ;) ), which means to me: Light Armor, Destro/Resto.
    2. I'm fully Aware that the MagDK isn't the go to class for ranged caster style, but I'd like to give it a try nonetheless. Therefore I'm thinking about a dmg set and a defensive set. Right now I'm leaning to: 5xSun (4 Body, Destro), 5 Riposte (1 Body, 3 Jewelry, Resto), Bloodspawn (defensive Option) or Skoria (offensive Option). I had good results with a similar Setup on my magblade (5 War Maiden, 5 Riposte, 2 Troll King/Skoria) so I feel experienced with this kind of Setup.
    3. I have BSW as well, but alway had the Feeling that Sun and its constant dmg Bonus is more suited to PvP? How do you rate Julianos after the last patch (didnt Play for a month)?
    4. Does the Sun 5 Piece-Bonus work for my heavy fire attacks? I have a infused Sun-Firestaff: should I go for Spell Dmg-Glyph, Oblivion Dmg-Glyph or Fire-Dmg-Glyph?
    5. All the above will Point to a glas cannon dd, I'm expecting to die a lot. Thats ok for me, its what a glas cannon is about, right? Dampen Magic should give at least a bit of survival, combined with Riposte I should be ok? Would you Slot any other defensive skills apart from Volatile Armor?

Would love to hear any Feedback regarding a LA Destro Caster DK. Any safe bets for me?

Best,

Wump

Late edit: OFF-TOPIC, Abandon this reply

Sir.

1. Typical magDK setup is not pure heavy + SnB, good thing is you may still deal decent damage with 5 lights and SnB. Inferno staff could be your prime choice.
    2. Stone Giant for ranged control, Flap your wings to deflect projectiles. With staves you may also use destro abilities.
    3. Loadout choices look cool. Personally I run 5l/0m/2h Remember you'll be healed for damage done even if one purged/cleansed your Burning Embers (DoT). Burning Embers / Engulfing flames procs Valkyn Skoria as well.
    4. BSW+Sun still good. However I strongly recommend Sun+Spinner to get used to magDK (Ranged AND Melee)
    5. Sun 5 pieces bonus applies to flame damage abilities. Burning status effect has been buffed merely 200% after this patch.
    6. Personally I run Oblivion + Sharpened on front and weapon/spell damage enchantment + Infused on back (Yes, both sword and board), both enchantments can proc within 5secs inv.
    7. magDK is fragile but nowhere close to glass cannon. Do not use light armor skill unless you get used to the class (and self build a 50k magicka loadout, which means 10k ward by hardness magic). Before that use Igneous shield. Enough to negate 1 or 2 abilities. Disregard all youtube / streamers builds, Invest 75 points in Ironclad and thank me later.
    7+. If you use SnB, enemies tend to neglect you first, because of the "tank generally doesn't do damage" stereotype, allowing you to stack up few buffs before delivering hard hit. (Flame Lash, AoE skills and the classy Ferocious Leap) With BSW+Spinner and properly tuned CP stellar, a successful ferocious leap on other glass cannons typically means 7k~12k critical. Personal highest was 15k crit'd killing blow on CP500ish stamblade.

About fidelity: Currently Duo with another magDK (his campaign rank is higher); I ranked 25 in EP, 75 Overall in Vivec Campaign. (30 days CP enabled)

Edit: words.
    Edited by WaltherCarraway on August 28, 2017 8:36PM
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • Wump
    Wump
    ✭✭✭
    1. Typical magDK setup is not pure heavy + SnB, good thing is you may still deal decent damage with 5 lights and SnB. Inferno staff could be your prime choice.
    2. Stone Giant for ranged control, Flap your wings to deflect projectiles. With staves you may also use destro abilities.
    3. Loadout choices look cool. Personally I run 5l/0m/2h Remember you'll be healed for damage done even if one purged/cleansed your Burning Embers (DoT). Burning Embers / Engulfing flames procs Valkyn Skoria as well.
    4. BSW+Sun still good. However I strongly recommend Sun+Spinner to get used to magDK (Ranged AND Melee)
    5. Sun 5 pieces bonus applies to flame damage abilities. Burning status effect has been buffed merely 200% after this patch.
    6. Personally I run Oblivion + Sharpened on front and weapon/spell damage enchantment + Infused on back (Yes, both sword and board), both enchantments can proc within 5secs inv.
    7. magDK is fragile but nowhere close to glass cannon. Do not use light armor skill unless you get used to the class (and self build a 50k magicka loadout, which means 10k ward by hardness magic). Before that use Igneous shield. Enough to negate 1 or 2 abilities. Disregard all youtube / streamers builds, Invest 75 points in Ironclad and thank me later.
    7+. If you use SnB, enemies tend to neglect you first, because of the "tank generally doesn't do damage" stereotype, allowing you to stack up few buffs before delivering hard hit. (Flame Lash, AoE skills and the classy Ferocious Leap) With BSW+Spinner and properly tuned CP stellar, a successful ferocious leap on other glass cannons typically means 7k~12k critical. Personal highest was 15k crit'd killing blow on CP500ish stamblade.

About fidelity: Currently Duo with another magDK (his campaign rank is higher); I ranked 25 in EP, 75 Overall in Vivec Campaign. (30 days CP enabled)

Ty for your Input. Will give Sun+Spinner a try.

Stone Giant and Wings are definitely part of my intended Setup. Not quite sure about destro skills as I can only imagine Flame Reach as a potential Skill on my Bars. Main Goal was to do as much dmg as possible with Heavy Attacks buffed by Molten Armaments. Do you think Elegance Set would be the better Option for me instead of Sun?
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all,

Best,

Wump

Sir.

I would not use this is BGs you will be out of magic so fast and dead a lot.
  • coplannb16_ESO
    coplannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    for a good heavy attack build look no further: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/309550/elemental-fury-pve-heavy-attack-dk-build-hotr-ready/p1

just a few remarks on the way:
    - stone fist does not deal fire damage, so Sun does not help
    - for decent LA/HA damage a vMA lightning staff is basically a must. Inferno does not work as well, because it wont trigger off-balance (off-balance increases heavy attack damage by 70%), however it boosts burning proc damage which creates a nice synergy if you use burning spellweave and/or a fire enchant and/or a charged staff. In my tests that variant did not beat the lightning staff version though and lightning splash damage + off-balance proc is too good to pass up.
    - molten arnaments, I dunno, it does not really seem to be that much of a factor. It adds maybe 1 K DPS while vMA Enchantment adds more like 5+K
    - elegance does work but is 50% weaker than molten arnaments, it is really more a Sorc-ultimate set. pre Morrowind Undaunted Infiltrator beat by far and post Morrowind Undaunted Infiltrator gets beaten by a Spinner/Infallible Aether combination. Although I still like it cause I can get the UI Buff using 3 jewels and 2 off-bar swords
    - lighting heavy attack channel has a chance to proc Skoria (3 ticks count as dot, last one does not), but in PvE Ilambris is better cause it can proc twice at the same time (Lightning and Fire)
    - in PvP main problem is that you cannot block cast heavy attacks so in close combat you end up dead or not using HA at all... on the upside lightning channel cannot be reflected

Edited by coplannb16_ESO on August 28, 2017 12:23PM
    max level: mDK, stamBlade, stamSorc, magPlar, mDen, stamDen, magBlade, stamCro
    ESO+
    # of mules: 4 (FULL)
    maxed bank: FULL -_-
    Stop the grind! Get rid of stupid events and daily-quest gallore. Get rid of "have a chance of 1 in a million to get a piece of 1 in 30 to get a stupid motif or pet... wtf..."
    And at this point just remove all classes and have everyone choose their set of skills. then balance accordingly to skills always used vs. skills never used.
  • Wump
    Wump
    ✭✭✭
    Thx again for your Input.

Just want to reiterate: My Questions are only non-CP PvP related. So the whole "off Balance"-Thing is out of the way.

Constant HA with destro shouldnt eat too much Mag, I hope. I like the HA-Playstyle (yeah, guys like me exist... ;) ) so I think I will be fine with my sustain. Just wondering if there is a set that compliments the HA-Destro gameplay better than 5pc Sun?

• IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The way heavy attacks are calculated, I believe you get a little more mileage out of spell damage rather than max magicka.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Just want to reiterate: My Questions are only non-CP PvP related. So the whole "off Balance"-Thing is out of the way.

Constant HA with destro shouldnt eat too much Mag, I hope. I like the HA-Playstyle (yeah, guys like me exist... ;) ) so I think I will be fine with my sustain. Just wondering if there is a set that compliments the HA-Destro gameplay better than 5pc Sun?

No, put spamming heals to stay alive does good luck getting those heavy attacks off in bgs. In open world pvp no cp this works very well I have to say done it my self as like a gank build/keep defense. If that's what ur after then hell go full glass Canon
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, put spamming heals to stay alive does good luck getting those heavy attacks off in bgs. In open world pvp no cp this works very well I have to say done it my self as like a gank build/keep defense. If that's what ur after then hell go full glass Canon

My bad. The suggestion I gave are for CP cam. Insightful for you and original reply edited. Thanks for pointing out
    Edited by WaltherCarraway on August 28, 2017 8:37PM
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey all,

Best,

Wump

Gimme dat bright wizard dawg