The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

DoT Ticks Ruin Shadowy Disguise

DDuke
DDuke
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Hey,

Not sure if this has been reported before, but this bug has been in the game for quite a while.

Basicly, if you have a damage over time effect on the opponent and cast Shadowy Disguise, the first DoT tick "consumes" the guaranteed crit bonus and your next actual attack isn't a guaranteed crit anymore. This kind of ruins the whole idea of the morph, unless you run with zero DoTs (including axe bleed, so no axes).

Somewhat related: every heal tick (i.e. Vigor or Rally) while in Shadowy Disguise is a crit, unless a DoT tick has consumed the buff in which case they tick normally based on your crit chance.
Edited by DDuke on August 19, 2017 4:16PM
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's... sad. Another build I have to send to the trash can..

I'm not even in the mood to try something new...more than one week without login in and I don't miss the game.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's expected that if you keep attacking you are no longer hidden, not a bug.
    You shouldn't use a DoT if you plan to use cloak. There are other options.

Most people use cloak just to start a fight or escape it, not in the middle.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's certainly a bug as the skill specifies that your next attack will Critically strike, rather than one you previously applied. I guess it could be interpreted as if it was working as intended.

One solution would be to only allow this guaranteed crit buff to proc off of a direct damage skill.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What. How did you manage to put so many wrong things to such little comment
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I actually tested this again on PTS: still 100% bugged.

How I tested it:
    1. I cast Poison Injection on the target (player I was dueling)
    2. I cast Shadowy Disguise
    3. Poison Injection tick crits
    4. Still cloaked, I cast Lethal Arrow & hit a target 10m away from me (hits the target before cloak ends).
    5. No crit - not on the Lethal Arrow, not on Poisoned Status effect proc - nothing.

I think you're lost. The nerf NB thread is that way -->

This thread isn't about a DoT breaking cloak (it doesn't, thank god) - it's about the guaranteed crit buff Shadowy Disguise grants being consumed by a DoT tick.
    Edited by DDuke on September 20, 2017 1:52AM
  • AngelFires333
    AngelFires333
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should be getting more attention.
    I want to use this skill but in its current state, it is just useless.
    Not complaining, just stating a fact.
    Peace.

I
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve noticed this also I use shadowy disguise before my opening attack and it’s not guaranteed as the tooltip says, it’s maybe 75% Crit but enough to make me change to dark version and just bump my Crit conventionally
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This should be getting more attention.
    I want to use this skill but in its current state, it is just useless.
    Not complaining, just stating a fact.
    Peace.

I

Yep, I can confirm it is still bugged (I test it every PTS).
  • Kiara
    Kiara
    ✭✭✭
    It's been like that since I can remember. I don't know if this is intended or not, but I am sure that "feature" requires you to be more careful with using shadowy disguise.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kiara wrote: »
    It's been like that since I can remember. I don't know if this is intended or not, but I am sure that "feature" requires you to be more careful with using shadowy disguise.

Heh, I actually remember when it just made everything crit while you were cloaked (DoTs, heal ticks, everything).

I believe they ruined that around the same patch that made casting Vigor break cloak, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Edited by DDuke on January 10, 2018 10:55PM
  • Kiara
    Kiara
    ✭✭✭
    It can be, I started playing nbs way later than other classes (it was my starting class though) and ever since I touched this class it was that way. I simply am not sure if this is actually a bug or not since it was not fixed for some time now. It was IC update I believe.