The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

You Guys Could Nerf Soul Assault Anytime Zos!

• Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, the risk/reward balance on this skill is probably the most extreme out of every ult besides maybe bow ult (since that can be dodged).

This skill deals pretty laughable damage if you aren't set up for good damage which generally means not very tanky. If there is anyone else attacking you when the soul assault goes out, then anyone with half a brain will focus you because they know for a fact that you are not blocking and the caster is also snared during the channel. If I am fighting outnumbered against even half competent players, SA is basically useful as an execute only.

In cases where you are being Xv1ed in the open with no LoS, SA is just a time saver. Would you really have felt happier dodge rolling 5 more times and THEN running out of stam and getting killed by the raid chasing you? Is that really an improvement in your game play experience?

You want to know a really low risk/high reward cheap ult is? Dawnbreaker: Undodgeable again, high damage, instant, no telegraph or warning, CC in a cone, strong dot sticking to all affected targets.

SA has actual risks involved with use.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • mmolegends44
    mmolegends44
    ✭✭✭
    they should make it interruptable like radiant destruction in my opinion.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »
    Let me use pure facts.

I'm the player that achieved a 120k SA tool tip

No one runs 120k SA, in CP it's potentially 60-100k, in no CP it's 50-60

FYI, the 120k in no CP is 80k

That's pre battlespirit.

That means you're looking at 30-50k in CP or 25k-30k in no CP

That's 7.25k-12.5k per second in CP or 6.75k-7.25k per second in no CP

That's pre mitigation - it's up to you to decide your medium armor mitigation, but 15-20k resistance is to be expected I'm

That's potentially 0-10% mitigation imo.

That means you're looking at 6.5k - 12.5k CP or 6k -7.25k no CP

Factor in Vigor and/or Rally that's as little as 3-8k DMG per sec CP or 2-5k DMG per sec no CP

That's not even factoring in block.

It's really no different than WB spam.

Clearly not OP

2.25k - 4k vigor ticks in no CP? On a medium armor build? Pure facts? Wut?
    You want pure facts?
    DDuke wrote: »
    There's no need to show me anything, I've tested it myself.

For it to only deal 1/4th of health bar in damage, you pretty much need to be wearing S&B and/or heavy armor - or the person Soul Assaulting needs to have like 60k tooltip only.

With 60k tooltip, you're looking at:
    30k (Battle Spirit)/3.5s=8571-17%(medium armor mitigation)->7114 -50% (Block modifier without S&B)->3557 -Vigor (around 1,5k/second if we're being generous)->2057 dmg/second while blocking on average, resulting in 7200 dmg total (around 1/3rd-1/4th of health bar).

120k tooltip? 5614 dmg on average per second & 19 650 total.

It's all a matter of how much damage you're stacking as the person using Soul Assault - but even the low damage ones force you to block & prevent you from cloaking (that's a big reason why jbeam is not as big of a problem, along with jbeam being interruptable as well) which is a death sentence in 1vX.

There you go. From people who actually play in medium armor. 7k-19k dmg after blocking it. Now add the 15k-20k stamina u lost. You were saying?

I'm saying your build must be weak.

Edit: yeah getting hit by multiple ults usually is a death sentence (and should be) in 1vX
    What a bs argument. Seriously, if you are not nb with cloak and using medium armor in pvp and soul assault is casted on you midfight, you are dead. Period. LOS isn't always there to save you. Soul Assault is just a cheese ability. It has no place in the current game where certain builds in medium armor have very little counters against it. This doesn't mean the build is weak or w/e. That is just a weak knee jerk argument.

• pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The customer you've dialed is unavailable at the moment please try again later
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingJ wrote: »
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    funny when you hear idiots say learn to play nothing wrong with it and they be the ones spamming soul assault your so cool hope zos enjoys this post and nerf the hell out of it or make it interruptable.

This is why we cannot have nice things...

The reason why we cannot have nice things is because of people like you defending every BS in the game that ignores defenses. Soul assault negates the main defenses of medium armor builds. Blocking soul assault on a medium armor that isnt using snb will do roughly 10k dmg and cost 20k stamina while being permasnared. Thats not a counter. Thats prety much a guaranteed death sentence. The only thing u can do is LOS and no, people dont carry trees with them.

And no, we are not gonna "think outside of the box" because some of u like removing skill from the game.

If you could dodge roll everything, you'd be invincible.

The only defense against a medium armor build you described is to be offensive, which dodge roll counters.

Dodge roll is a direct hard counter to my survivability, SA is a hard counter to your off the charts offensive capabilities.
    @Waffennacht I know you make multiple classes so here I'm ask if your talking about your magplar or your pet sorc.How is dodge roll a direct counter to your survivability?For sorc you have shields which us your main defense I'm assuming your talking about crit surge curse is undodgebale and heal you,but your also have access to pets which heal you.Magplar have BOl and sweeps are undodgeable.So I'm confused by your statement that dodge roll hard counter your your survivability which isn't true for any clsss.

mSorc would be frag. Templar would be simply the distance traveled by dodge roll lol @ Templar mobility.

I'm saying Medium armor builds have such offensive capabilities the only counter play is to be offensive and constantly apply pressure. Roll Dodge prevents pressure and allows a medium build another chance at 20k stacked DMG (until console gets updated, I'm still experiencing them)

Undodgeable abilities are the only way to kill a dodge roller. SA and similar abilities are counters

Build another chance at 20k stacked DMG to which you can react using ur defense.
    SA isnt something to which they can react using their defenses. Just like shieldbreaker isnt something to which sorcs can actually react using their defenses. Thats the difference.

And if procs are finally addressed it will also be harder for medium armor builds to dodge roll everything cause they will have to actually invest into dmg instead of relying on selene and viper and putting everything else into stamina regen.

ATM, imo, 2 GCDs isn't much of a defensive opportunity. But this could change in the update

It still doesnt bypass ur defences. Shieldbreaker does. And im prety sure u dont like shieldbreaker. Just how i dont like it when im on a sorc. Feel free to play a medium armor build without snb. The second someone SA you, the first thing u will say is "wtf is this BS". If you are in no CP u will probably melt before you even say that.

Actually the first time I ran medium no SnB I got insta gibbed by a proc NB... Soo... Yeah

Ok procs are broken. Whats ur point? You dont like procs so you want something equally broken against them? I understand that. I use SA against them too cause i know how effective it is. But i realise that what im doing to them isnt much better than what they are doing.

And this is how PVP ended up to the crap we have today.

I wasn't making a point, you told me to run medium without SnB and I did, and I only had problems with Stam proc NBs, not SA. I think you were trying to make some sort of point. But I dunno because soul assault isn't OP

You mean blocking it and taking roughly 10k dmg and blowing up ur whole stamina pool yeah obviously its fine. But two GCD to put up roughly 20k shields isnt a defensive opportunity.

Keep believing that abilities that ignore defenses are fine. I guess shieldbreaker is a fine set promoting skilled gameplay as well right?

I don't believe breaker to be OP.
    I don't believe Knightslayer to be OP

I don't believe Oblivion Damage Glyphs will see play outside of the Torug builds.

Nerfs kill things

No skill kills PVP. There is a difference.
    But its ok, when you believe that shieldbreaker and oblivion dmg are healthy for the game then there is really nothing else to talk about. I guess procs are good too and they didnt need nerfs right?

You'll be hard pressed to prove to me that anything that requires more than 2-3 GCDs to kill is OP.

Also, do you hear any mag players say: "But we have to use our 4k costing wards to counter SA and then we have no Magicka left!" No.

A build with 2k Stam Regen should be fine in sustaining after SA

No, a build with 2k stam regen is not fine in surviving SA if you don't use S&B. You apparently don't play any stam character, so sadly your input is incorrect.

I play pretty much every class, except stamsorc and magplar.
    You can spam shield through beam of doom. Have done it all the time.
    You can hold block through beam of doom with your permablock builds. Have done it all the time.
    You cannot hold block through beam of doom with a bow or a two-handed. Well, technically you can, but it deletes your stam pool so you die after that.

Increase the damage tick through block to make it more viable against perma block builds, but make it interruptible with bash. That's how you balance thigns and promote skillful plays.

Edited by hmsdragonfly on August 16, 2017 9:46AM
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So no class has any issue with this ability but medium armor stam NB...

Seems fine to me
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Seems fine to me
    Actually, stamnb have the best counter against soul assault in the game: Cloak. It's other medium armor builds that bite the inevitable dust if its casted on you midfight without any LOS nearby.

• Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reroll Mag Sorc best solution AAA OP AF Class thx ZOS...
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malmai wrote: »
    Reroll Mag Sorc best solution AAA OP AF Class thx ZOS...

I eat sorcs for breakfast. L2P issue, once again. #stopthewhineandL2P
    Comrade, a word...
  • Pastas
    Pastas
    ✭✭✭

Seems fine to me

You are wrong, all medium armour users are having issues with SA. in fact NB is the only one who has a good counter, you can cloak SA after 2 seconds. Thats why most of not NB stam builds are using HA.

Seems like ZoS wants everybody running heavy armour and S&B in pvp.
    Edited by Pastas on August 16, 2017 10:31AM
    WARNING
    This post may Include horrible gramatical and orthographic errors
    Read on your own risk
    AD
    Dar'foo Stamblade Zorg-gro-Wurf DK tank Far-Datxo Templar healer Valmir Spellius Magsorc
    Randolf Omberic Magblade Felien Golas Magdk Faenor Oakwood Stamplar Sader Dustorm Stamsorc
    EP
    Do'Ragash Stamdk Caius Grachus Stamden Dalyne Narus Magplar
    DC
    Melkar Spellius Magden
    PC EU
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Seems fine to me

No, Its just that the only medium armor builds left are stamblades. The rest are under extinction. That should give you an idea of the viability of medium armor in PVP.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its funny how everyone defending it use the argument of it needs to be undodgeable to counter rollers yet they also want all the other things it has that have nothing to do with dodge. Makes you wonder how they use it.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka users are so fragile
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Drummerx04 wrote: »
    Honestly, the risk/reward balance on this skill is probably the most extreme out of every ult besides maybe bow ult (since that can be dodged).

This skill deals pretty laughable damage if you aren't set up for good damage which generally means not very tanky. If there is anyone else attacking you when the soul assault goes out, then anyone with half a brain will focus you because they know for a fact that you are not blocking and the caster is also snared during the channel. If I am fighting outnumbered against even half competent players, SA is basically useful as an execute only.

In cases where you are being Xv1ed in the open with no LoS, SA is just a time saver. Would you really have felt happier dodge rolling 5 more times and THEN running out of stam and getting killed by the raid chasing you? Is that really an improvement in your game play experience?

You want to know a really low risk/high reward cheap ult is? Dawnbreaker: Undodgeable again, high damage, instant, no telegraph or warning, CC in a cone, strong dot sticking to all affected targets.

SA has actual risks involved with use.

You have successfully described the problem with crap like SA. They remove skill from the game. You die. What do you do? You bring more numbers, more numbers, more numbers and surprise surprise PVP ends up with what you see today.

The thinking of "you are ountnumbered, you would die anw so it doesnt matter" its stupid. Its not about winning the fight. Its about what happened in the fight. If SA was going through shields, it wouldnt be ok because if u are outnumbered you would die anw. Its about skilled fights. If you fight and you die. Well ok, u tried ur best you couldnt outplay them and you died. But when you die not because you couldnt outplay them but because you got screwed by everything that have nothing to do with actual skill then yes u have an issue and it leads to the problem u see today.

Dawnbreaker is a very strong ult. Probably too strong. But its not a death sentence for any build. It doesnt give you the options of either die or half of ur hp is gone and out of stamina.
    Edited by pieratsos on August 16, 2017 11:47AM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unbelieveable how many people that very obviously do not play stamina medium nonNB are here defending this cheese ult. Most of them with year old information about how it works. Half of them playing sorc, second half using their 'experience' of casting 2 shields for free (Harness Magicka ftw) or blocking it on build with 900 stam regen and 50% block cost reduction.

Yeah I know very well how that ult is bad vs you. You don't have to repeat it here. Everybody knows how bad the ult is vs these builds. That is completely irrelevant to what it does to medium.

First page is literally full of mag builds patting each other on the back and calling l2p. While they do nothing but spam shield when its on them and they hp pool never gets touched and most of the shield cost gets returned to them. SA could literally be dodgeable and it would still be more punishing to medium than to your light armor 'l2p'ers.
    Edited by SodanTok on August 16, 2017 12:11PM
  • Ajintse
    Ajintse
    ✭✭✭
    The Elder Nerfs: Online
    "The moon is my sun, the night is my day, blood is my life and you are my prey."
    Ajintse - (Magicka Vampire Nightblade)
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    funny when you hear idiots say learn to play nothing wrong with it and they be the ones spamming soul assault your so cool hope zos enjoys this post and nerf the hell out of it or make it interruptable.

The reason why we cannot have nice things is because of people like you defending every BS in the game that ignores defenses. Soul assault negates the main defenses of medium armor builds. Blocking soul assault on a medium armor that isnt using snb will do roughly 10k dmg and cost 20k stamina while being permasnared. Thats not a counter. Thats prety much a guaranteed death sentence. The only thing u can do is LOS and no, people dont carry trees with them.

And no, we are not gonna "think outside of the box" because some of u like removing skill from the game.

But if we remove everything in the game that kills us, we don't need skill either.

Who said remove everything in the game that kills us? I said remove/change things in the game that remove skill.
    So you actually need skill to kill people. Not everyone needs to abuse every broken sh*t in this game to kill people.

It is your opinion that soul assault is broken and you are entitled to it but it is your opinion not everyone's.
    SA has counters and I use them on my stamblade so it does not negate the main defenses of medium armor builds.
    Can't even remember the last time soul assault was the main reason I died on a death recap, I died because I made a mistake usually.

Feel free to enlighten people how they are supposed to counter it on a medium armor. Btw carrying a tree for LOS and zerging/zergsurfing are not counters.

Flying blade into ambush followed by normal stamblade rotation of your choice.
    Bull rush instead of avoidance, SA was designed to counter rolling so attack instead don't just stand there.
    Works for me.

Flying blade, into ambush, into incap, into execute. Thats 4 GCD assuming u used flying blade the exact same time the SA started (which is very highly unlikely) and assuming u are a stamblade. Medium armor builds are not just stamblades. And thats the entire duration of SA that you didnt block taking full dmg from a 50-60k at the very least tooltip and thats assuming u are not taking any other dmg. In short, you are dead. You are not the only one that thought of that solution mate. Not everyone is potato enough to stay at low hp before casting SA. Casting a shield before SA and that small chance of bull rush to succeed goes out the window. Back to blocking it i guess.

SA was designed to counter rolling. But why the hell is it Uninterruptible, gives CC immunity, permasnares and keeps people out of cloak? If someone is stupid enough to channel that *** in ur face u should be able to bash it.

Now I see you are arguing just for arguments sake as many counters and solutions have been pointed out to you.
    So good luck in your quest to reduce this game to fighting with Kendo sticks.
  • Cpt_Ati
    Cpt_Ati
    Buff that ultimate because filthy magicka players need that cheesy damage.
    Long Load Time-Wood Elf Nightblade 800+ CP
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But if we remove everything in the game that kills us, we don't need skill either.

Who said remove everything in the game that kills us? I said remove/change things in the game that remove skill.
    So you actually need skill to kill people. Not everyone needs to abuse every broken sh*t in this game to kill people.

It is your opinion that soul assault is broken and you are entitled to it but it is your opinion not everyone's.
    SA has counters and I use them on my stamblade so it does not negate the main defenses of medium armor builds.
    Can't even remember the last time soul assault was the main reason I died on a death recap, I died because I made a mistake usually.

Feel free to enlighten people how they are supposed to counter it on a medium armor. Btw carrying a tree for LOS and zerging/zergsurfing are not counters.

Bull rush instead of avoidance, SA was designed to counter rolling so attack instead don't just stand there.
    Works for me.

Flying blade, into ambush, into incap, into execute. Thats 4 GCD assuming u used flying blade the exact same time the SA started (which is very highly unlikely) and assuming u are a stamblade. Medium armor builds are not just stamblades. And thats the entire duration of SA that you didnt block taking full dmg from a 50-60k at the very least tooltip and thats assuming u are not taking any other dmg. In short, you are dead. You are not the only one that thought of that solution mate. Not everyone is potato enough to stay at low hp before casting SA. Casting a shield before SA and that small chance of bull rush to succeed goes out the window. Back to blocking it i guess.

SA was designed to counter rolling. But why the hell is it Uninterruptible, gives CC immunity, permasnares and keeps people out of cloak? If someone is stupid enough to channel that *** in ur face u should be able to bash it.

Now I see you are arguing just for arguments sake as many counters and solutions have been pointed out to you.

There's absolutely 0 reason why it should not be interruptible with bash.
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes you merely 18k stam to block a full soul assault.

My magicka dk pvp build has that amount of stam which is also capable to accomodate more situations (roll dodge, break free, that usually require more stam on magic toon)

EDIT: words in bracket for clearer concept.
    EDIT2: I'm not even running full sturdy. Including one hand and shield passive + 1 sturdy; my block cost reduction is 40% flat.

Today I sucessfully blocked two Soul Assaults (different times different players). Both kinda deleted my stam pool but I largely survived that blow with the spec I quoted above. Blocking that thing will mitigate at least 50% of damage even your don't have protection buffs with you. I can't manage to find stam draining diagram for my two blocking aforementioned.
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

My magicka dk pvp build has that amount of stam which is also capable to accomodate more situations (roll dodge, break free, that usually require more stam on magic toon)

EDIT2: I'm not even running full sturdy. Including one hand and shield passive + 1 sturdy; my block cost reduction is 40% flat.

Today I sucessfully blocked two Soul Assaults (different times different players). Both kinda deleted my stam pool but I largely survived that blow with the spec I quoted above. Blocking that thing will mitigate at least 50% of damage even your don't have protection buffs with you. I can't manage to find stam draining diagram for my two blocking aforementioned.
    Whooptydoo... you survived SA with one of the more tanky builds in the game.

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Works for me.

Originally it was interruptible but devs changed it for reasons you will have to ask ZOS.
    I would guess because like RD the caster is vulnerable during the cast time.
    Edited by TequilaFire on August 16, 2017 1:10PM
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

If you think 5 light spinner and 2 heavy bloodspawn plus a sword and board all divines cept head is sturdy, is one of a more tanky build. Then you might need to look carefully into those real tanky build.
    By the way the tankiest build is double even triple ward spamming sorc...

EDIT: sword and boards are part of silk of the sun set.
    Edited by WaltherCarraway on August 16, 2017 1:12PM
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratz you survived a beam of doom with a 18k stam MagDK. But realistically, I have no trouble blocking beam of doom with a 16k stam MagDK and I don't believe anyone even has problem blocking it with a permablock S&B MagDK.

Now please try to block it with a bow and medium armour.
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think 5 light spinner and 2 heavy bloodspawn plus a sword and board all divines cept head is sturdy, is one of a more tanky build. Then you might need to look carefully into those real tanky build.

You use S&B and have 18k stam. So yes, you can block it with ease. Now, have you tried to block it with a bow in medium armour?
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't get me wrong. My point throughout the post is to advocate, that 18k stam is enough to block Soul Assault. Even it sounds like a sacrifice on dps potential, however imo a bit more stam not only helps on blocking but also one or two more chances to dodge roll or break free.

:D
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratz you survived a beam of doom with a 18k stam MagDK. But realistically, I have no trouble blocking beam of doom with a 16k stam MagDK and I don't believe anyone even has problem blocking it with a permablock S&B MagDK.

Now please try to block it with a bow and medium armour.

5 Hunding's, 5 Marksman 1 Chudan (spell/physical resistance) shoulder 5M/1H/1L works quite well for me on one of stamblades. But of course if you build a procblade things would be different.
    Edited by TequilaFire on August 16, 2017 1:20PM
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Works for me.

Originally it was interruptible but devs changed it for reasons you will have to ask ZOS.
    I would guess because like RD the caster is vulnerable during the cast time.

It's a bad decision made by ZOS. You can bash RD so there's no reason why it should not interruptible. I understand if it's an expensive ult, but it's not, it's extremely cheap, less than 100 ults, it outperforms Ballista by far and ballista costs like 200 ults. Increase the damage tick through block, make it more effective against block, but make it interruptible, that's how we promote skillful plays.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on August 16, 2017 1:22PM
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You use S&B and have 18k stam. So yes, you can block it with ease. Now, have you tried to block it with a bow in medium armour?

I thought the OP was talking about how overpowered and unblockable it is. Well if you have to block that with bow how about go cloak after 2 secs? I bet 2s of blocking won't drain 18K stam even on bow right?

• hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the OP was talking about how overpowered and unblockable it is. Well if you have to block that with bow how about go cloak after 2 secs? I bet 2s of blocking won't drain 18K stam even on bow right?

Ummm, how does a stamsorc or a stamplar go to cloak?

It's not "overpowered", it is poorly designed, as in, it is useless against certain builds and extremely powerful against other builds.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on August 16, 2017 1:30PM