The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Do the Crown Crate seasons cycle?

ThePrinceOfBargains
ThePrinceOfBargains
✭✭✭✭✭
308gor4.jpg
I really don't like the idea of paying for these things, as they seem like a total rip outside of dumb luck, but I'm REALLY bummed that I don't have one of these Wild Hunt mounts. I mean part of me is like "okay, it's a good thing I missed this because I probably would've wasted too much money trying to get what I want." But the other part of me REALLY wants it. Like bad enough to hurt somebody. Well okay, maybe not the bad. Maybe like a light 3 second pinch :s ~Pepper
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They do cycle every three months or so but since this is only the third season we don't know if they repeat at any point.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see them repeating too soon. The amount of items I seen in-game related to the above crates was considerably less than what I witnessed with the storm crates for various reasons (the novelty factor, and people believing the crates were more likely to drop items than they actually were etc etc). I suspect a repeat batch of crates would see even less sales as the majority of those people who bought into them first time around would probably not touch them again as there would be no need to.

Of course my mere observations are probably waaaaaaaaay off, and only ZoS truly know. Then there's the fact a lot of people got 6 free crates this season if they both pre ordered and subbed. That too tells me they're attempting to snare more people due to the poorer uptake.

I don't mind crates, and can only speak for myself but for me to even consider buying any the batch (season) would have to involve fresh apex mounts and more items not seen before.

Edited by Prof_Bawbag on July 25, 2017 11:57AM
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We don't know, they've not been going for a full year yet!
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll throw this idea out again: An ESO+ perk should be the ability to buy from an extended selection of crates, including past seasons.

Yeah, sure, it's weird and messed up, but, it would be one more thing to plop down on the list of reasons to subscribe.
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully not. We're not supporting this... :# ~Pibb
    Edited by ThePrinceOfBargains on July 26, 2017 6:48PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll throw this idea out again: An ESO+ perk should be the ability to buy from an extended selection of crates, including past seasons.

Yeah, sure, it's weird and messed up, but, it would be one more thing to plop down on the list of reasons to subscribe.

I like this idea, but I don't see them implementing it, as it would take away from crate sales. People would just sub and then buy what they want - unless the amount they get from the sub and specific purchases is greater that what they get from those who have spent hundreds trying to get what they want from the RNG.

I could see them offering a limited selection of items from past seasons, if they never intend to repeat the crates. The limited selected would probably not include the apex mounts. Or, if they repeated a theme, but offered new items, then I could see them offering the old items during the same crate season to ESO+ members.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

I like this idea, but I don't see them implementing it, as it would take away from crate sales. People would just sub and then buy what they want - unless the amount they get from the sub and specific purchases is greater that what they get from those who have spent hundreds trying to get what they want from the RNG.

I could see them offering a limited selection of items from past seasons, if they never intend to repeat the crates. The limited selected would probably not include the apex mounts. Or, if they repeated a theme, but offered new items, then I could see them offering the old items during the same crate season to ESO+ members.

To be fair, if someone is subscribing specifically to access earlier crates, that's a win for ZOS. If they spend 15 bucks to then buy a 1500 crown bundle of crates, that's 30 bucks for that bundle. If they're buying a bunch of crates, then spending 15 bucks to gain access to a larger gem pool... it's still more money being paid out to ZOS for those items.

I mean, I agree, I don't see ZOS implementing something like this, but at the same time, it's not really a loosing proposition for them. They would end up with more money (even if it's not much) to increase the potential pool of buyers for these items. It's also stuff where the actual development costs have already been committed. So it's just further return on investment afterwards.

To be fair, I also think that the crates, in general, would benefit from having more options up at one time. As it is, there's a practical limit on crates, where eventually you will run out of things to get from them (aside from consumables). So it would make some sense to give users more options to pick from (even without ESO+). Letting crate seasons overlap, would be one efficient way to do that. For example, if crates lasted for 6 months, but new seasons started every 3, then after that, subscribers got access to the last 12 months worth of crates.